• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong, I never minded the filler episodes as they were quite fun. I just found it amusing that each and every Slayers TV series put them in episodes 14-17. Each time. Without fail. XD

But we just had the mid season finale with big powers clashing , fillers are obviously coming right after :)

And another long-running shonen bites the dust -- apparently the Fairy Tail anime will be ending for now on March 30.

I guess it might be a timeslot change or a hiatus before coming back later or something though, who knows.

Well they were quite close to the manga, despite their 25 eps filler arc after the timeskip

Syrinx

Pretty buzzed right now. What should I do, animeGAF? Watch Pretty Cure, read the Sailor Moon manga, or listen to Yes?

Or do all three?

Ultimadrago

Thanks for the quick replies! I think I will go for Air small packet since it will arrive in 1-2 weeks and has up to 6,000 yen coverage.

Also these are the two items I want to pre-order:

The Kirito figma releases in May while the Asuna is released in June. Since they will ship separately I assume the shipping will cost even more?

Yes, AmiAmi only does combined shipping for pre-orders of the same month (or currently available ones bought at the same time). Since one of the mentioned is set for May and the other for June, you'd have to pay shipping for each separately upon charge and I believe it will cost more.

cajunator

Banned
Thanks for the quick replies! I think I will go for Air small packet since it will arrive in 1-2 weeks and has up to 6,000 yen coverage.

Also these are the two items I want to pre-order:

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIG-IPN-5598

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIG-MOE-8186

The Kirito figma releases in May while the Asuna is released in June. Since they will ship separately I assume the shipping will cost even more?

Yes. Im not sure if AmiAmi combines shipping, but some sites have a setup which allows you to have a "warehouse" which is basically a storage for purchased items which you can then group and ship as you want them. The most notable one I can think of is Hobbylink Japan. they might actually be the only ones that do it that way.

Pretty buzzed right now. What should I do, animeGAF? Watch Pretty Cure, read the Sailor Moon manga, or listen to Yes?

Or do all three?

There is no wrong answer to this.
Watch Pretty Cure

madp

The Light of El Cantare
And another long-running shonen bites the dust -- apparently the Fairy Tail anime will be ending for now on March 30.

I guess it might be a timeslot change or a hiatus before coming back later or something though, who knows.

The filler/canon ratio was about as bad as Bleach, wasn't it? Sensible decision if so.

the only downside is that I like the bit of Fairy Tail filler I've seen more than the canon :lol

JCG

Oh, that's the wrong season.

But seriously, REVIVE REVIVAL?

Oh God, there's still SOME chance this show doesn't suck, right?

Reading your impressions is usually amusing...but seriously, did it really take you that long to notice it wasn't the right episode?

As for the issue in question...Gundam as a property has more than a handful of stupid Engrish names, to say the least, so I honestly thought nothing of it.

789shadow

Banned
Nichijou 8

hit_with_popcorn_by_yasumeyukito-d4iywce.gif

The filler/canon ratio was about as bad as Bleach, wasn't it? Sensible decision if so.

the only downside is that I like the bit of Fairy Tail filler I've seen more than the canon :lol

Actually not really in fairy tail in terms of fillers you have :
7 eps ( 69 -75 ) Daphne arc
26 eps (125 - 150 ) Key of the Starry Sky arc

That's all for fillers .. the rest is an anime with a certain sense of pacing that might not be for everyone.

The rets of the episode is 100% manga canon

And Tanken Driland will be taking that spot. Wait, Tanken Driland is still running?

Was sure Driland was going to be a 50 episode anime.

a total shame driland wasn't loved more ..i enjoyed the 14 episodes i've seen .. a fun sense of adventure and exploring .
And the cast had enough to be entertaining , especially the guy that show up later.
68BxBl.jpg

thank to driland i now believe that an ussop-like character is necessary in all fantasy adventure animes !
A shame nobody paid attention to this show .

caught up with all of love live. pretty good so far

I've just had Minami-ke recommended to me. Is it a pretty good show? What other series does it most parallel?

minami ke is really funny. i remember loving the first 2 seasons a lot.

Plotwise? What's happened production wise?

animation gets bad and they end up doing some dumb things to the plot. if you like the anime you should really read the manga.

cajunator

Banned
Plotwise? What's happened production wise?

Plotwise Ill let others who read the manga explain since I only know what happens in the anime, but productionwise they cost cut to the point of hilarity and also had some issues getting in-betweens on time and the result utterly destroyed some scenes.

Actually not really in fairy tail in terms of fillers you have :
7 eps ( 69 -75 ) Daphne arc
26 eps (125 - 150 ) Key of the Starry Sky arc

That's all for fillers .. the rest is an anime with a certain sense of pacing that might not be for everyone.

The rets of the episode is 100% manga canon

I wonder where they will even end the arc, I cant think of any stopping point. Well I guess based on the OP they could end at that fight thats highlighted there. :/

CorvoSol

Reading your impressions is usually amusing...but seriously, did it really take you that long to notice it wasn't the right episode?

As for the issue in question...Gundam as a property has more than a handful of stupid Engrish names, to say the least, so I honestly thought nothing of it.

It took me like, less than a full minute to notice it, so "that long" is sort of an unfair question to ask. I'd have caught it sooner, but I was so stunned by the incredible awful that is the name REVIVE REVIVAL that I didn't catch it.

I mean, really. REVIVE REVIVAL. Having a character named "Cagalli" is one thing for bad Engrish names, but REVIVE REVIVAL is silly.

Gundam 00 5

Okay, so, minor detour aside, this wasn't that bad an episode. Alleluia vs Hallelujah is something straight out of a Square PSX game, but still, it wasn't that bad. Finally found out that the Lt. was a girl, and (H)allelujah's backstory was pretty good, and I'm so numb to Xrounderxrounderxrounder hijinks that the mind meld didn't bother me the way it should. But I mean, cool episode, really. If they all are like this, no problems here.

Shergal

Hyouka 5 (Rewatch)

And so I'm finally at the high point of early Hyouka. What an amazing episode. One should expect no less of Kyoani's SSS+ team: veteran Yoshiji Kigami directing, while K-On's ace Yukiko Horiguchi supervised the animation. This was the first (and so far, only) time they helmed an episode together, and my main question after watching it is: why the hell don't they work together more often!?

Kigami does pretty nice, solid storyboards overall. Not a lot in the way of fancy elaborated blocking or fancy camera angles like Ishidate or Takemoto, but they can really pack a punch, and when he does use those resources, it's always to great effect, like in the slanted cut of Oreki and Eru watching the sky.

Particularly, now that I come back to it after finishing the whole show, I find this episode is really filled with nuance everywhere you look. Little things like Mayaka being the one who notices the drawing of Hyouka's cover and picks up on its meaning, and looking at it with the face of an aspiring artist trying to learn, or Oreki being the one that gets the pun right away, going in line with his shitty wordplay antics. They also foreshadowed some stuff, like Satoshi's later development and relationship with Oreki in this sequence:

Here we see Oreki "stepping" into the light as he talks of becoming more rose-colored and abandoning his restrained ways, and the reaction from Satoshi is kinda strange and given importance by the directing, with that shading, scene composition and the traditional same-perspective shot for heightened tension. Later, on the festival arc, we get a complete explanation of his motivations and thoughts, but it's nice that they were getting at it this early already.

Another thing that's really noticeable now that I know the whole arc of the characters is the way Oreki changed his attitude when the possibility of his theory being wrong was brought up by his sister. Yuichi Watanabe (key animator for the episode) commented on something along those lines, but I think there's a bit more than just "acting differently around his sister" to it.
We see throughout this episode that Oreki has become invested into the mystery, and is constantly thinking about how Sekitani Jun's "super rose-colored life" relates to him and his mindset, particularly seen in one of the first scenes when he's in his bed thinking about it. So it's only natural that he gets upset and fired up when he's told that there's more to the story. This is a pretty good instance of character development, and it will show again in future episodes (particularly in 18): Oreki actually does get curious about stuff, especially when they relate to him directly (or he himself becomes emotionally invested in them). Finding out what happened 45 years ago became not just a favour for Chitanda, but something that had to do with him and his ideas about life, as is brought to foreground at the end when he's writing the letter.

There's something to be said about the animation in this episode. I think it even surpasses the animation for the opener. That's the power of Horiguchi for ya! Not only everything moves a whole lot at every turn, but the characters strike fun, varied poses, and make really nice expressions, displaying a more broad emotional range than in the previous episodes (although this was also allowed by the plot and nice script for ep. 5)
gQ8jLkZ.jpg

This pose is typical Horiguchi. Kinda unrealistic, who would do that with their hands when they're surprised? But it goes hand-in-hand with the funny, wobbly style she has. Tamako from the currently airing show has done this exact pose quite a bit as of now.

The animation added some great bits of characterization and created much richer situations and a broader, believable episode overall. I found this shot to be a strong example; as the characters get caught off-guard by Oreki's eagerness, they become quite excited, and we see their urge to rush into the library just in the animation, and details like Satoshi forgetting his bag for a second due to the hype. I wonder who animated it, maybe Chiyoko Ueno?
Another notable thing was everything to do with the young librarian, when she was reminiscing. Her characterization and thoughts were really brought up by the animation, and enhanced by the nice direction idea about herself interacting with the "flashback" in a sort of tacked-on manner that worked perfectly.
In contrast, her adult self's reactions were really, really restrained, and never deviated from that melancholic smile that shows a person who has already moved on and is left with just the bittersweet memories of the event.

The conclusion to the episode was really well done, it had more power than something like what was happening deserves, lol. The OST, the Oreki grabbing his knee and being exhasperated, the gradual realization by each of the members about what "Hyouka" meant, the quick cuts between Chitanda reading and the flashbacks with her uncle, the brief switch into visual-craziness mode with that powerful cut of the bunny being killed, the build-up by the OST- and at the end, the really nice trademark color palette change we've seen quite a bit already in the show:

Everything came together just for that scene, and now that I've rewatched it I'm even more convinced that it's one of the best sequences in the show.

Oh, and for what it's worth, Chitanda gets a little glimpse of characterization, albeit it's through standard exposition monologue, but I guess they needed to lay on the :firehawk somewhere lol.

I think I wrote much more than normally for this one, so apologies if it gets long and tedious; but I really loved this episode :D

I wonder where they will even end the arc, I cant think of any stopping point. Well I guess based on the OP they could end at that fight thats highlighted there. :/

There isn't one.
We're in the middle of a city wide tournament, stopping there is impossible without some kind of gigantic asspull that would be impossible to recover from if they do.

they better just change time slot and work closely with the mangaka otherwise they'll be doomed

I've just had Minami-ke recommended to me. Is it a pretty good show? What other series does it most parallel?

The first season is definitely great but after that it's all downhill. It's hard to say what it's comparable to other than relative to other slice of life comedies. The closest I can think of is that it's a less perverted Mitsudomoe with less reliance on misunderstandings. Definitely features more home life rather than school since it's centered around sisters and far less idyllic than the calm and relaxing variety of slice of life.

Really it boils down to the type of humor you like and the kinds of characters you enjoy. It's no Nichijou but I rank the first season relatively highly on the slice of life totem pole.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 09

"I am a human"

This is all ..

No wait it's not.

I'm glad the anime delivered on the speech ... it was hard to mess up but i'm glad they didn't.

Yuusha is 13 episodes, right ? Then they can end it just at the right time for an awesome twist finale if they do it right

CorvoSol

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 5

SHADOW MOSES ISLAND AND METAL GUNDAM SHINING AND HOT RUSSIAN SPIES OH MY! So in this episode, Domon busts out of a Russian prison because those Neo-Commies are a bunch of dirty cheaters who arrest Gundam Fighters and steal their Gundams. Argo is like a ten foot tall guy because that's what Russians are known for, and he also finishes a draw. So basically, all Domon's friends have ended the match in a draw except, well, America. But Chibodee Crocket still is crawling with babes.

My favorite part of the episode was Rain's comment "If he keeps this up, I'm gonna dump him." HAHAHA, yeah right Rain, because Domon TOTALLY thinks the two of you are in a relationship.

JCG

It took me like, less than a full minute to notice it, so "that long" is sort of an unfair question to ask. I'd have caught it sooner, but I was so stunned by the incredible awful that is the name REVIVE REVIVAL that I didn't catch it.

Sorry for jumping to conclusions a little too quickly then.

I mean, really. REVIVE REVIVAL. Having a character named "Cagalli" is one thing for bad Engrish names, but REVIVE REVIVAL is silly.

Oh, the name is certainly bad. It just doesn't strike me as odd in the face of guys like FULL FRONTAL and many others.

Cuticle Detective Inaba 09

Gotta say that was a pretty fun episode. First part was definitely the most action filled this show will ever get, but pretty nice to see all that hair color power.

Second part was more Sugita fun, especially him embracing his inner loli love.

Xamdou

Yes, AmiAmi only does combined shipping for pre-orders of the same month (or currently available ones bought at the same time). Since one of the mentioned is set for May and the other for June, you'd have to pay shipping for each separately upon charge and I believe it will cost more.

I see, well it's certainly cheaper than buying from other sites but thanks.

Yes. Im not sure if AmiAmi combines shipping, but some sites have a setup which allows you to have a "warehouse" which is basically a storage for purchased items which you can then group and ship as you want them. The most notable one I can think of is Hobbylink Japan. they might actually be the only ones that do it that way.

I usually order from hlj but unfortunately they stopped doing pre-orders of both figmas thats why I am checking out Amiami.

Look's like separate shipments it is.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Mobile Fighter G Gundam 5

SHADOW MOSES ISLAND AND METAL GUNDAM SHINING AND HOT RUSSIAN SPIES OH MY! So in this episode, Domon busts out of a Russian prison because those Neo-Commies are a bunch of dirty cheaters who arrest Gundam Fighters and steal their Gundams. Argo is like a ten foot tall guy because that's what Russians are known for, and he also finishes a draw. So basically, all Domon's friends have ended the match in a draw except, well, America. But Chibodee Crocket still is crawling with babes.

My favorite part of the episode was Rain's comment "If he keeps this up, I'm gonna dump him." HAHAHA, yeah right Rain, because Domon TOTALLY thinks the two of you are in a relationship.

Domon's just got that much swag. Just talking to a girl makes them think they're his girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom