• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Why is everyone surprised by the Guilty Crown staff working on this? We pretty much knew that for months since it's Studio Wit.

duckroll

Why is everyone surprised by the Guilty Crown staff working on this? We pretty much knew that for months since it's Studio Wit.

Obviously because all these people here want to see it fail. Now you know how it feels to be duckroll. Enjoy your branduilhype.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
God, I've had the busiest week ever. Shit's insane.

I heard the latest episode of Tamako Market was extremely good. Is it true?

It was a great episode. One that actually showed some legitimate character development, albeit in small amounts. However the pacing was great, and they resolved several issues with dexterity and just enough time.

DiGiKerot

WnwFSjl.jpg

Bring it on Kamiyama!

I wonder what cringe-worthy questions the QA will bring - last time I went to a QA at the BFI was for Sacred Star of Milos, where most the questions were thinly-veiled pleas for them to make more Full Metal Alchemist. That, and that one guy who asked them if they were planning to remake Berserk...

cajunator

Banned
Not really. I went to an anime club meeting at my school once, but nobody glomped me. At least I don't think they did.

glomping is just a huge hug. Its not scary or anything. Well I mean it can technically knock you down and cause injury I suppose...

Here's the full staff list for Attack on Titan:

Director: Tetsuro Araki (Highschool of the Dead, Guilty Crown)
Series Composition: Yasuko Kobayashi (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Character Design: Kyoji Asano (Guilty Crown)

Assistant Directors: Hiroyuki Tanaka (Guilty Crown), Masashi Hizuka (Guilty Crown)
Chief Animation Directors: Kyoji Asano (Guilty Crown), Satoshi Kadowaki (Guilty Crown)
Action Animation Directors: Yasuyuki Ebara (Guilty Crown), Arifumi Imai (Guilty Crown)

Art Director: Shunichiro Yoshihara (Sengoku Basara, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Art Setting: Yuuho Taniuchi (Guilty Crown)
Giant Design: Takaaki Chiba (Guilty Crown)
Prop Design: Masashi Hizuka (Guilty Crown)
Color Design: Ken Hashimoto (Highschool of the Dead)

3D Director: Shuhei Yabuta (Highschool of the Dead)
Director of Photography: Kazuhiro Yamada (Highschool of the Dead)
Editing: Aya Hida (Highschool of the Dead)

Sound Director: Masafumi Mima (Guilty Crown)
Music: Hiroyuki Sawano (Guilty Crown)
Sound Effects: Shizuo Kurahashi (Guilty Crown)
Sound Production: Techno Sound (Guilty Crown)

Animation Production: Wit Studio
Production Assistance: Production IG (Guilty Crown)

Well this will either be amazing or abysmal. I look forward to finding out!

Geneijin

One pick I don't see anyone discussing is Hiroyuki Sawano. I didn't find their work on GC that impressive. Really the best part of the OST was ryo's work on the main songs.
The same ryo responsible for Everlasting? As bad as any of Sawano's work for the OST.

DiGiKerot

I assume being a member allows you to buy the ticket early because for me the page says tickets go on sale the 12th.

Yeah, BFI membership let's you book a week early.

Did you watch the Hobbit?

They're usually just floating right above the screen.

Nah, I've really not been in the fettle to watch quite so long a movie in the theatres as of late, particularly not when The Hobbit was out.

Emitan

Aoi Hana / Sweet Blue Flowers 1-3

vlcsnap-2013-03-08-12btupb.png

One thing I really like about this show is that its not filled with comedy or disguising the character's sexualities. They're obviously lesbians and that's great. On the downside the show seems pretty mellow with very little sense of drama. But it's Takako Shimura and she can do no wrong. Nothing wrong with some nice simple girls love every now and again.

Kazzy

[Tamako Market] 4-8

I’m kind of ambivalent of even criticizing it to this extent, because I find this show to easily digestible, and I’ve certainly been enjoying myself along the way. And It would hardly be novel of me to state that a KyoAni feels like it lacks purpose, though this is the first time that it has ever really bothered me. I mean, even with K-ON! It always felt like there was a focus underpinning everything, no matter how slight. And now that I think about it, Tamako Market has never fully laid out its true statement of intent. Which in itself would be easier to deduce, where the show not so intent on stretching itself in so many directions. It seems hesitant to commit fully, and we are instead left with an uncertainty hanging over proceedings.

The use of the market as an ensemble is a great concept, and what we see has the intended effect. It eulogizes on the importance of community, but the same things we see during the initial episodes is still being played out here. I was expecting certain aspects (and characters) to be given more time, but it has remained a superficial look into this world. Which brings up onto Tamako, who is the titular character, and therefore the protagonist, right? She suffers from the curse of being surrounded by infinitely more interesting characters, ones who make her wide-eyed idealist routine look outright mawkish. Dera is ostensibly the audience surrogate, and is our window into this story. He bears the only apparent hint of an overarching plot, and cynically, one might be led to believe it may have been harder to simply sell a series with a bird.

I feel like that middle section of this series has meandered somewhat, and has made me aware of just quickly things are coming to a close. It’s usually fair to be drawing some kind of conclusion at this point, especially now that we are past the halfway point, but I'm still at a pains to determine where the resolution ultimately lies. And though I'm still relatively confident that it can deliver, there is the nagging feeling they may be leaving themselves with just a little too much to resolve.

Though having now just watched the latest episode, I'll concede that some of my concerns have been alleviated to some extent. It was just extremely economical in how it leveraged its runtime, which was a stark contrast from the earlier superfluous approach. Many of those previously wandering threads were finally pulled together, and it delivered a satisfyingly self-contained package. It allowed for the tale of Tamako’s father to be told, whilst also using the theme to subtly push several other characters along. It finally felt like the cohesion was back. I now look forward to what remains, especially if it continues in this vein.

As is stands, this series is genuinely enjoyable, a non-committal and breezy affair, as expected. I just think that it could be doing more, and as a result, is sort of facing an identity-crisis. It gives a good representation of elements that I've grown to love in KyoAni’s output, but therein lies the problem, it feels like an amalgamation. The proverbial “greatest hits” package, something that exists as both adequate and disappointing. It just feels largely unambitious. Though admittedly, this in and of itself, could be far outside what Tamako Market hopes to achieve in the first place. As such, maybe this is simply a case of letting my own preconceived expectations of KyoAni take precedent.

cajunator

Banned
Heartcatch Precure 02

Now we're getting somewhere. Still unsure what the hell half of the Precure stuff going on in this show is, but its only the second episode. all kinds of new...toys to buy!
Erika gets into trouble early, and naturally newly awakened Cure blossom has to save her. Interestingly that was stretched over two episodes instead of all done in the first one.
Also interestingly, Tsubomi's grandmother seems entirely aware of the whole Precure thing from the start. hmmm...
And WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT BIG CREATURE IN THE BACKGROUND? that thing is frightening.
I dig the opening song and the ending 3D animation is adorable and not as terrible as I thought it would.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Ohayou gozaimasu! That means hello and good morning heehee!
What's your favorite hentai? I like tentacle hentai because the slimy arms wrap around those pretty girls. Shh don't tell anyone ^o^ ^_~
Do you watch kawaii anime? Oh my god I looooooooooove kawaii stuff!!!!!!!
May I glomp you? Do you have a sister?

Whaaaaaat the fuck? Extollere be hacking accounts! :O

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
You people use the 3D on the 3DS? Reevaluating my opinions on all of you.

Phases on on and off. It's good stuff. :D

Ohayou gozaimasu! That means hello and good morning heehee!
What's your favorite hentai? I like tentacle hentai because the slimy arms wrap around those pretty girls. Shh don't tell anyone ^o^ ^_~
Do you watch kawaii anime? Oh my god I looooooooooove kawaii stuff!!!!!!!
May I glomp you? Do you have a sister?

You know, I've never seen cajun and extollere in the same room... ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom