• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hey, my disclaimer of non-endorsement was genuine! Of course I'm probably just apathetic because I would have nothing to contribute anyway :lol

Haha!

Nothing says true love like molestation/rape!

Nozomi is just spreading the knowledge of yuri the only way she can. Who can fault her. "Not I." said SDBurton, "Not I..."

Syrinx

I'm anime-gaf's resident newbie, so I'm really not sure if I have anything to add to a podcast unless you want a guy to just awkwardly be there and not say anything or know what you guys are talking about.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'd have no issue being on a podcast as a guest from time to time.

Granted, I don't know how a podcast is set up. Nor am I a master of all the names of who animated what sakuga in *insert episode number here* of *insert anime show here* so I doubt whoever organizes one would qualify me to be on.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Splash Star 12:

EiAk5bx.jpg

I love how awkwardly they have to phrase this threat because they obviously can't have him say something like "hey, I'm about to fucking incinerate your little friend if you don't tell me the location of the macguffin".

At least nobody's getting sent to the Shadow Realm or anything.

I'm anime-gaf's resident newbie, so I'm really not sure if I have anything to add to a podcast unless you want a guy to just awkwardly be there and not say anything or know what you guys are talking about.

I'm pretty awkward myself, though it mostly comes from almost never really talking about anime and related stuff outside of the internet.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Squealer did what so many people fail to do in their day to day lives: he recognized injustice, perpetrated not only against him, but his entire species, and dedicated his life to overturning the status quo. You might not agree with his methods but I don't think you can really say he was in the wrong.

Shergal

I mean
the child whose parents Squealer actually succeeded in murdering.

I think neither of the parties is on moral high ground, but with how the revolution went and going from Squealer's words in this episode, I think the show proposes that any conflict of classes inevitably leads to violence. It's a commie show, so to speak.

And Squealer's cause was at least as noble and worth defending as the initial motive humans may have had for establishing that fucked up system and turning the other humans into moles. The show goes out of its way to put the viewer into different perspectives through its run, though, so it's easy to find yourself hating Squealer one moment and defending him the other. Same with the humans, who took the cake in "hate-worthy" portrayal in the finale.

Shergal

Hyouka 20 (Rewatch)

Hyouka is a very relaxing show. If you allow it, it reels you in and makes you go at its own pace. Like every good slice-of-life does. Of course, it has to keep itself fresh to avoid becoming boring, and I find that ever since the second half started it has greatly succeeded at doing so. This time, it manages to do so by a change of place, and it makes for a really enjoyable episode.

Not only we get to know the shrine, we also get to see a night-based episode, instead of the typical after-school ambiance that's present in most of the show. Winter has come, and this is also conveyed perfectly by the show, making the characters breath visibly and do gestures typical of the winter cold, as well as making it a relevant part of the episode's progression.

Rika Ota directed the episode. It's her second time directing for the studio (her debut was in 11.5), and she did a very good job again. Nothing particularly wowing, but every shot was solid and there were no pacing issues. Some interesting layouts here and there too that spice up the more mundane segments.

What's more interesting to me this time is that Chise Kamoi directed the animation. It's her first time doing so in Hyouka, and her third time in general. She has a unique style that stands out in the studio, with her wobbly lines and the soft way she does clothes, folds and hair. The expressions of the characters were pretty interesting, and the drawings pleasant to look at. She's very talented, and I always look forward to episodes done by her, shame she didn't do AD for Tamako. More than that, the animation in this episode was a treat, with many good cuts. Kigami and Horiguchi did KA for the episode, though at the bottom of the list. The samurai scenes from the drama are probably from Kigami, and while I'm not too sure on Horiguchi, the scenes with Satoshi arriving at the temple and running to the shed seem like her. Really nice to watch.

One thing I liked about this episode was how they handled the lighting. The color palette for a crowded, illuminated place at night was spot on, but the very dark shed with little holes that permitted the passage of light was really good. The lighting for those scenes felt very organic and unobtrusive and contributed to the ambiance in that closed space. Same goes for the final scene when they open the door and do a close-up of Satoshi's face.

All in all, a very enjoyable episode that further strengthens the characters and sets up some stuff for the latest two.

gintama 264

another great arc. didn't notice until this eps but the touch of good guy bad guy reflecting off the color of the lightsaber is pretty cool.

Ended strong too. That movie is so troll. Is the movie even a real thing?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Splash Star 13:

One day Mr. Ikuhara was tired after a big work, so he went to Roppongi to do nanpa etc etc

You know, one thing that early Precure series did very, very wrong was the cycle of introducing a villain, using that villain every episode for a few episodes, and then unceremoniously discarding the villain permanently. It wasn't so bad in Futari wa because only a couple of the villains had anything resembling a personality, but Splash Star's villains have been really entertaining so far and so it's a terrible waste when they're introduced only to be disposed of almost immediately. Later series' usage of small core groups of villains who live with each other and rotate in their duties throughout the course of the entire season is much smarter because it opens so many avenues for development and entertaining interaction that are impossible with the old method.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Mad Pierrot: Satou is indeed good, but your omission of Ikuhara is shameful.

I don't associate him as strongly with reaction faces because Utena and Penguindrum are so much more subdued in that regard. No denying he was on par with Satou in Sailor Moon, of course!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't associate him as strongly with reaction faces because Utena and Penguindrum are so much more subdued in that regard. No denying he was on par with Satou in Sailor Moon, of course!
First of all, you said comedy. Second, I still don't agree. Utena had its fair share.

From the New World

In the end, my fundamental problem with this was that
I wasn't convinced that the Queerats' plight was all that dire. The supposed depths of their servitude and the derision humans treated them with were barely evidenced through the course of the show, though Squealer's treatment at the trial seemed like an attempt to make up for lost time in that respect, with the laughter at his demand to be recognized as human. If that was the main point of this series, I think it could have expounded upon it much further. It left me wondering whether the original novel actually did.

As for the final revelation,
even if it had actually been a big surprise, I doubt it would have had any impact on the average viewer's outlook on the Queerats. For the humans of the fictional society it might have been unsettling, but for someone with "modern" human rights values, their intelligence would place them on nearly even ground with humanity regardless of their genetics. At least, that's how I felt personally, and generalizing that might be naive, but as a result it had no impact on me.

duckroll

From the New World

In the end, my fundamental problem with this was that
I wasn't convinced that the Queerats' plight was all that dire. The supposed depths of their servitude and the derision humans treated them with were barely evidenced through the course of the show, though Squealer's treatment at the trial seemed like an attempt to make up for lost time in that respect, with the laughter at his demand to be recognized as human. If that was the main point of this series, I think it could have expounded upon it much further. It left me wondering whether the original novel actually did.

As for the final revelation,
even if it had actually been a big surprise, I doubt it would have had any impact on the average viewer's outlook on the Queerats. For the humans of the fictional society it might have been unsettling, but for someone with "modern" human rights values, their intelligence would place them on nearly even ground with humanity regardless of their genetics. At least, that's how I felt personally, and generalizing that might be naive, but as a result it had no impact on me.

Isn't this the entire point of the story though? It's clearly not a problem in the story if that's the intended effect.
You don't care about their plight because it doesn't bother you. Out of sight, out of mind. It's not a human rights issue until it has a direct impact on the individual's society, and even after that, the problem can be solved by maintaining a status quo and simply ignoring those who are "not us".

madp

The Light of El Cantare
First of all, you said comedy. Second, I still don't agree. Utena had its fair share.

I only qualified my statement with "comedy" to acknowledge that expressiveness isn't necessarily appropriate for serious dramatic works.

I'm willing to accept that certain episodes of Utena like the Nanami episodes were much more expressive due to the lighthearted content, but to my recollection it's not consistently so from episode to episode, understandably of course due to the subject matter.

I'm kind of hoping now that Yuri Kuma Arashi, whatever it is, ends up being a comedy series. Ikuhara's done plenty of standalone comedy episodes but never an entire series underpinned by this particular facet of his talents.

Branduil

Macross Plus 4

Man, what an amazing episode. It's an emotional thrill ride from start to finish, featuring some of the best dogfighting ever animated, and a thematically satisfying climax. The only real problem is that one scene, which is as tasteless as it is pointless.
Why does Sharon Apple say she's going to kill Myung, assault her with tentacle wires, and then they just suddenly stop? I never understood that part.
Other than that, though, it's a great finale full of nonstop action and quality, character-driven direction. They don't really make stuff like this any more.

i0huOPg4sKd1s.jpg

G Gundam 30

AWW HELL NA ALLENBY, YOU GET YOUR FILTHY HANDS OFF RAIN'S MAN, YOU BLUE HAIRED WENCH. Can't believe Argo Golski lost to this chick. Is she like, supposed to be a Mary Sue or what? Blue hair, also has a Gundam, also has a Super Mode (but its evil and makes her misunderstood!) and is as good a fighter as DOMON. Yeah, I see right through you Allenby and I will cheer when Master Asia kills you to demonstrate how freaking badass he is with his Batman Gundam.

That's gonna happen. Right guys? Right?

Allenby hate? That's the line.

And another GAF community gets its own podcast. Not that I'm implying that we need one or anything!

An AnimeGAFcast would be too awesome for the internet to comprehend. That's the main issue here.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Splash Star 14:

wow, the new villain seriously sounds like a parody out of an abridged series dub. This can't be real. It can't.

SDBurton would die at the development in this episode.
sonofabitch they're just going to be this series' equivalent of Kiriya from Futari wa, aren't they? :(

(villains who take an interest in the world they're supposed to destroy and end up sacrificing themselves for the protagonists after being exposed to friendship and virtue)

fertygo

SSY 25

Satisfying ending, the show could be better though.

Robotic; Notes 22

Man another show that I wish its was better.. because that was awesome finale, its must be a lot better in the VN too because there poster that said so.. like I said this have everything that I would love in VN form, shame the staff make it fall flat in anime form..

Come on Banpresto can we get this in SRW? I want playing as Gunvarrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom