• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I just saw the screencaps of the baby in the newest episode of Dokidoki! Precure. If there was ever a moment to bail out it is now.

Please tell me how awful it is so that I can finally drop this show forever.

How I hate these "I'm not even tyring to hit you""-animations! That looks so stupid.
They are NOT trying to hit each other in that scene .. they are training for "something else" at high speed.

One day I will embark on the crusade, just like I did for One Piece. Until then, I get to make lame jokes to show how ignorant I am about it! :D
You'll enjoy the ride when you do. Hxh (2011) is better is almost all areas than the previous adaptation and hxh in general is an awesome experience and setting.

I dunno they all look the same to me. Girls with ridiculous hair in large dresses with simple colors fighting evil.
Ok.. i was under the impression that another detail made you do the connexion between the 2 franchises, but your point seem to be about the girl fighting.
I'll just say that Hxh as only 1 character like that , her design was made that way on purpose and there is a twist attached. ( read to find out :) )

There one thing about the new hxh adaptions that keeps make me laugh.

it's how a lot of the 1998 tech has been updated.

Maybe it's done to not weird out the kids watching it and make it more relatable to them.

crt desktops > netbooks

I think they made the right call to modernise eveyrthing. ( even the hunter website ). It's easier for everyone to relate on what's happenning and those are very light changes.

After all they kept shalnark phone almost intact in the 2011 version !

Nafe

I don't think it's as contrived as you're making it out to be.
It wasn't some coincidence she died based on the time of the solar flare or the Kagome cellphone ring, it was caused by Kimijima on purpose. The fence being out is easier to make a case for, but it still seemed 90% planned to me.

Other than that, I'm just a big fan of "wham" events like that which sharply contrast with the rest of the show despite building towards something like it. Series like these always have something "off" about them and you know big stuff will happen eventually, but you don't know when. It's why Madoka ep 3 is so shocking as well.

Also, I cringed when
she snapped back up, pretty much breaking her back.
It was damn effective for me even if some people think they were milking it a bit. The fact I liked the character definitely helped.

Yeah, I knew it was planned but it still seems unnecessary as far as the overall story as it doesn't really accomplish anything.
Even earlier Subaru mentions about the winds being strong in the area so he wouldn't recommend sleeping there or something.
I really just felt like it they there just for the sake of being some twist. Even with something like how the storm was handled earlier in the show. I don't believe there was any time limit as far as the report so the fact that it was done during the storm it just came across like a silly way to try and add some drama into the story during that part. The "Wham!" kind of moment in Steins;Gate felt much better executed as it was even more unexpected and harder to prevent.

Back to episode 16,
her legs also seemed like they just had a forward momentum so he didn't even have to really move her but push her over on her side or tackle her from the back. While the scene was going on and he was just trying to hold her I was thinking "Just tackle her!". When he did it was more of a "finally" kind of moment for me. I agree that the bone breaking was cringe worthy and I think that got everybody. Just the way he kept trying to hold her after that is when I was thinking "Really?" and that's when I was thinking he should just do it again from another angle or try and move her because holding her obviously wasn't working.

Everything was easily preventable and it just came across as more silly than shocking for me personally. I was upset at the episode because I also liked the character. :(

Yeah, I knew it was planned but it still seems unnecessary as far as the overall story as it doesn't really accomplish anything.
Even earlier Subaru mentions about the winds being strong in the area so he wouldn't recommend sleeping there or something.
I really just felt like it they there just for the sake of being some twist. Even with something like how the storm was handled earlier in the show. I don't believe there was any time limit as far as the report so the fact that it was done during the storm it just came across like a silly way to try and add some drama into the story during that part. The "Wham!" kind of moment in Steins;Gate felt much better executed as it was even more unexpected and harder to prevent.

Back to episode 16,
her legs also seemed like they just had a forward momentum so he didn't even have to really move her but push her over on her side or tackle her from the back. While the scene was going on and he was just trying to hold her I was thinking "Just tackle her!". When he did it was more of a "finally" kind of moment for me. I agree that the bone breaking was cringe worthy and I think that got everybody. Just the way he kept trying to hold her after that is when I was thinking "Really?" and that's when I was thinking he should just do it again from another angle or try and move her because holding her obviously wasn't working.

Everything was easily preventable and it just came across as more silly than shocking for me personally. I was upset at the episode because I also liked the character. :(

I think it's important to note that people won't always follow logic when faced with a crisis. This goes for all scenes in fiction that people criticize because "they would have acted differently." This is a real part of human psychology, where the most obvious solution that can be achieved through force is generally the first thought that goes through your head. I don't thin Kai acted perfectly human, but him panicking and freezing up at the end was fine I thought.

That being said, I don't know if the author actually thought of all this. It's a very real possibility it was done for drama.

Phi Brain Puzzle of God s1 2 - 13 (engDub, bd)

Solid choices for voices. Greg A. voice for Rook is surprisingly awesome and the voices used for all the pog folks around him (one of them even has the southern voice which adds a whole new element to their character), made this quite memorable. Herbet Muller raging over losing is even more hilarious in english (I'll puzzle you in the face) So far one of my favorite dubs, though this is also still in my top 5 anime. Enjoy it so much.

I did like that they did subtitle the lyrics in multiple songs that play throughout the episodes, like Elena's theme for her game shown (Puzzle o toite, suki to iwasete (Solve the puzzle, let me say I love you!))

Narag

Honestly, I'm too engaged by it to even notice the shoddy animation most of the time. It went far beyond my expectations. It's very clear the people involved are JoJo fans and they're making the best use of their resources possible. Making Phantom Blood (a relatively meh part in the manga) super enjoyable is a VERY big achievement. Battle Tendency, which was always good, has been elevated even higher. Adapting complete parts gives them the means to be incredibly fast-paced, which is perfect for a series like this.

Really, the stellar presentation is making the almost 2 decade wait for a TV anime (though I've obviously been waiting a bit less) worth it. I would be ecstatic if they continued into part 3 and beyond even if there is a better animated alternative for that one.

Nice. I know you've expressed frustration with the OVAs handling of Part 3 and was curious about your opinion of the current series. I'd like to see them handle Part 3 as well (and then on) since I'm mostly an anime only guy and I think a tv run would be complementary to the OVAs.

Ultimadrago

Devilman: The Demon Bird

Devilman, why are you so good?

Plenty of well-animated scenes, monster (and human) guts drawn like no other, entertaining choreography, classy lewd.

You have it all.

Best Ghibli, etc.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wolf Children should have won every award in every category.

Categories should've been invented so Wolf Children could win them.

For example:

"Best feature length animated movie starring two wolf kids and their single mother."

Reknoc

Berserk: Egg of the King

An hour of my life I'll never get back, what an ugly piece of shit.

will do it again when the second film is released here.

/XX/

[Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise]
Yes, YES... thank you for this impressions, Regulus Tera! They make me relive the goodness, although...

P.S. About the
attempted rape
scene:
It's not that I don't think such a scene is out of place with the rest of the movie. The incident occurs clearly at the trough of Shiro's character arc, right after Dr. Gnomm's has died in what they speculate was a terrorist attempt and Shiro has to deal with the shady side of fame. Shiro's intentions up to this point have not been selfless (the only reason he started to take the Space Force seriously was because he was hoping to bone Riquinni), after all; in fact the story would not work without the scene at all since it's the catalyst that forces Shiro to stop being a cunt. My problem is with Riquinni blaming herself for the event and asking Shiro to forgive her. It's idiotic at its best and misogynistic at its worst. If the intention was to show that Riquinni's kindness is all forgiving because of her spirituality then the script didn't do a good job of explaining this. Almost all instances of religion in the film are damning in nature, and even if this were the case that's not a reason to have her so easily submissive for what was a rather strong female character otherwise.
That sucked.
... I don't share this view because I can't see it as kindness alone, and more like a one-way track that is difficult to abandon so further down the road. As I wrote for an old post:

"I didn't think (that scene) was so far from reality, for a person with such a clearly preconceived image of our place in this world, that is.

Instead of accepting a situation where that image could end up permanently ruined for her, out of confidence in her faith on humanity and rejecting her own way until that moment, I find plausible a Riquinni blaming herself for that, in humility (easier than blaming a bigger scheme of things).

This is a matter of side-stepping the situations as they come, trying to (fabricate) accommodate them to own beliefs, to avoid a conflict of convictions, rather than accepting the root of the problem."

I always thought of it as her holding onto what she only has, trying to ignore (or turn a deaf ear to) what deviousness she affronted for fear of losing faith on what she believes in and crumbling over at that thought, all done precisely to remain strong willed...

I think all the visual luster of this film is what really makes it a stand-out title in the first place. It's because of this that I'm more than a little bit surprised that Blue Uru is a thing at all. They're obviously not going to get anywhere near the bar they've established, so why not let it stand on it's own? I guess we'll see what they have in store.
Maybe because the project was planned at the time to be like that. The production for it should have commenced shortly after the previous film. I think there could be a bit of stubbornness involved in taking along and trying to accomplish in the same manner this work after so long.

TV Animation Award Winners
Sword Art Online and Kuroko's Basketball

Best Original Story (awarded to original creator of an adapted work)
Reki Kawahara (Sword Art Online)

tumblr_lkue22hcK81qcfgllo1_500.gif

These feels. They hurt.

My feels are now NSFW.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hanasaku Iroha - 6-11

Ko-chan is such a good boy, so honest and direct, not holding anything back, like a boss.

seriously Ko-chan, what are you seeing in her?!!

lolol drama.
Welcome to the Tokyo-hen!

They announced Wolf Children as the overall winner of the Tokyo Anime Awards a while ago, but I don't seem to remember seeing it mentioned here. Anyway, they just announced the full list of award winners, so let's see what they are:

TV Animation Award Winners
Sword Art Online and Kuroko's Basketball

Best Original Story (awarded to original creator of an adapted work)
Reki Kawahara (Sword Art Online)

Anime is dead. Fuck anime!

Articalys

I actually wanted to apologize for posting the Tokyo Anime Awards list. It was over nine hours old news at that point, so clearly a lot of people from this thread had probably already seen it, but no one had posted it yet, probably because they knew no good discussion would come from it, yet I did so anyway. It's the same as frequently just posting random images you find browsing /a/ just to get a reaction out of the thread audience here; that's something I'm trying to cut back on.

That all said, here's something actually interesting: from the Nanoha event yesterday, the real Nanoha/Raising Heart combo, Yukari Tamura and Donna Burke.

Kurita

I actually wanted to apologize for posting the Tokyo Anime Awards list. It was over nine hours old news at that point, so clearly a lot of people from this thread had probably already seen it, but no one had posted it yet, probably because they knew no good discussion would come from it, yet I did so anyway. It's the same as frequently just posting random images you find browsing /a/ just to get a reaction out of the thread audience here; that's something I'm trying to cut back on.

Why would you apologize for this? I don't get it.

Narag

Yeah, seriously. If it wasn't posted (and even if it was), age shouldn't discourage one from posting news. I appreciate it at any rate as this is basically where I get all my anime news from.

Nafe

I think it's important to note that people won't always follow logic when faced with a crisis. This goes for all scenes in fiction that people criticize because "they would have acted differently." This is a real part of human psychology, where the most obvious solution that can be achieved through force is generally the first thought that goes through your head. I don't thin Kai acted perfectly human, but him panicking and freezing up at the end was fine I thought.

That being said, I don't know if the author actually thought of all this. It's a very real possibility it was done for drama.

That's true in that I was also thinking that you could maybe hand wave it a bit by saying it was an unusual and stressful situation. While obviously not this exact thing I've been in moments where I've had to think fast.

Sometimes when looking at a movie or show you have a scene where someone is running away from something and you think why not just run to the side or jump away? I've been in situations like that and to me that was the obvious thing to do but you also have to concede that "not everyone is like me or would react like me." so you maybe give it a pass, true.

I'll also apologize if my responses seem a bit sporadic as my internet seems to be going in and out possibly due to the weather or my provider doing some unscheduled maintenance.
or maybe it's the committee of 300, haha

Theonik

Devilman OVA2
Just a long stream of action, not that it's bad, the action is pretty awesome. Some bromance too for DTL. The animation for this was fantastic too.

HUNTER X HUNTER 72

Let's gear up tactics before the finale battle.

Anyway ..episode was cool. Hisoka rocks and new#4 is cool to see animated.

----------
MINAMI-KE TADAIMA 12

Minami-ke%20Tadaima%20-12_01.jpg
Minami-ke%20Tadaima%20-12_02.jpg

Censoring ? no !! This is ...
Oni , excess of fat , snowball .. "im busy"

BAKAYARO
Hosaka as the final boss ? how fitting !

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Splash Star 14:

SDBurton would die at the development in this episode.
sonofabitch they're just going to be this series' equivalent of Kiriya from Futari wa, aren't they? :(

(villains who take an interest in the world they're supposed to destroy and end up sacrificing themselves for the protagonists after being exposed to friendship and virtue)

They pulled this shit on me again? :mad:

Dresden

He's not apologizing, he's trying to take a shot at this:

"It's the same as frequently just posting random images you find browsing /a/ just to get a reaction out of the thread audience here"

so salty. lol

Nafe

I means I need an editor. Feel free to apply for the position! Lol.

I thought Mandoric was your editor? Speaking of which, I haven't seen him around for awhile. :(

SAIN SEYA OMEGA 41

At least even mars was angry at
sonia death
..that was such a bullsh*t turn of events. they better bring a power of light haxxor skill to make her comeback as she was a nice character.

I edited your original comment as that could be a major spoiler for those who haven't caught up with the show but I agree that I quite liked her as well and kind of hoped they would do that just because but it's looking like it's not to be. :(

I doubt anyone cares other than maybe BluWacky, but since this topic came up the last time we discussed the writer, it's now confirmed that the new Fafner Exodus project is a 26 episode TV series: http://www.xebec-inc.co.jp/xebeczwei/sf_kairan20130322.html

My question is - who the fuck is paying for this shit?! :(

I care too because I actually liked Fafner but most people here seem to absolutely hate it, haha. Maybe it's just because it was a while ago when I watched it and I just dismissed some of the problems it had I don't know. I'll probably try and watch Exodus when it comes around though.

I love how you can see her chest and butt <3

Wearing a bikini will help with that too, haha.

Is that a new tag Kincaido? I don't think I recall you having one before.

Long awaited 5th volume for Banner of the Stars has been finally released (http://www.gainax.co.jp/company/news/0418.html), of course by Mr. Morioka & Mr. Ono with the requited illustration cover by GAiNAXer Takami Akai (that, as habitual, lamented not being quickly up-to-the-task; http://gainax.weblogs.jp/ninelives/2013/03/星界イラスト全部完成.html).

This is relevant to my interests as well, thanks! :)

I quite liked the anime of Crest of the Stars and I think I'll carry on into Banner of the Stars this next season as I don't believe I'll be watching as many shows. Part of the reason I was watching so many shows this season was because about half of them were carryovers from the last season.

Articalys

Yesterday in Denver, Colorado there was a one-day event called the Summit on Anime in North America, jointly sponsored by the Consulate-General of Japan in Denver and the Rocky Mountain Anime Association.
Experts on the anime industry gathered to talk about anime’s popularity in North America. Representatives from the Japanese consulate were there as well to receive feedback.
Anime Diet attended and wrote up liveblogs of the morning and afternoon sessions of keynote speakers, which included staff from Funimation and the director of marketing at Harmony Gold.

http://animediet.net/conventions/summit-on-anime-in-north-america-morning-session-liveblog
http://animediet.net/conventions/summit-on-anime-in-north-america-afternoon-session-liveblog

Yesterday in Denver, Colorado there was a one-day event called the Summit on Anime in North America, jointly sponsored by the Consulate-General of Japan in Denver and the Rocky Mountain Anime Association.
http://animediet.net/conventions/summit-on-anime-in-north-america-morning-session-liveblog
http://animediet.net/conventions/summit-on-anime-in-north-america-afternoon-session-liveblog

Question about gender/sexuality in anime: yaoi sometimes arises in the absence of strong female characters in a story #SANA

I dont think it really mattered about the strength of the female character, medaka box, psyren

DiGiKerot

What?! A new volume for Banner of the Stars? Great, with Tokyo Pop dead the chances of it coming here are, like, nil.

To be fair, it's not like they even released half of what was available in Japanese even when they were publishing those books - the stuff they put out only covered the content of the first anime series.

mAcOdIn

To be fair, it's not like they even released half of what was available in Japanese even when they were publishing those books - the stuff they put out only covered the content of the first anime series.
Yeah but at least they put out 3! No one else has even shown any interest.

Theonik

I wonder if they made a new anime out of books 4 and 5 if the production values would be any worse than the Banner 3 anime was. lol

mAcOdIn

I wonder if they made a new anime out of books 4 and 5 if the production values would be any worse than the Banner 3 anime was. lol
I'm sure they just didn't try with Banner 3 because Spoor was only in it for one second and even then it wasn't Spoor herself but Jinto thinking of different Abh's he's met, that of course included Spoor. Therefore, both the quality of a given Banner season/volume and by extension the amount of effort put into an anime adaption of a season/volume is directly proportionate to the amount of Spoor contained within.

As it should be.

IXION SAGA 24 Love & peace edition !

Ixion%20Saga%20DT%20-%2024.jpg

No why should we have ? we're having fun guys !!

Staff 1 :"Hey guys we're near the ending , what if we actually try to be serious ?"
Staff 2 : "ok let's try"
Staff 1 : "What are you doing ?"
Staff 2 : " i'm trying to be serious but i can't after all "
Staff 3 : " yeah it's too hard to be serious for once !"
Staff 1 : " ok let's go crazy on the dialog then !"
Staff 2 : " Kukuku"
Staff 4 : " why is he saying kukuku now"
Staff 3 : " dunno he might have found a cool idea, what do you think"
Staff 2 : " Something something bla bla bla"
Staff 1 : " i guess we're back on the sily now "
Staff 3 : " h -"
Staff 5 : " 'hard to do something serious' is what you wanted to say, right ?"
Staff 1 : "..."
Staff 2 : "ku ku ku "
Staff 1 : "......."

is probably what happenned when they wanted to make ep 24.

Ps: best way to use magic ever !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom