• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Seanspeed

Banned
Sorry I'm on my phone so couldn't type out too much of a description. It's software that allows you to map keys to the pad buttons. Its used by others in this thread earlier.

I only had the download page bookmarked too, there should be link to the homepage somewhere but if in doubt just Google antimicro and you'll probably find some more info about it.
Thanks. Didn't mean to sound ungrateful, sorry. Just needed more info.

Lunar15

So, my game absolutely refuses to run if I put it in Fullscreen. It will only run in borderless window mode. To the point where, if I go into the settings and pick fullscreen, the game crashes and I have to force it into borderless windowed mode through Nvidia Experience.

longdi

Banned
Whelp, new patch means I cannot start my game fully. Lucky was kinda busy in the weekends. RPG patching should work retrospectively. TW2 pissed me off when I was half way through when CDPR released their big patch.

Blitzhex

Performance with Hairworks on my 970 is maybe a hair better with the new patch ;)

Still drops below 30 during any dialogue scene though.

Edit: It also looks like the game now has a very light sharpening filter on it by default, even with post processing sharpening off.

Yeah, noticing the new sharpness and I had sharpness on low previously.
Edit: Oh it's prlly just the new fixed x16 AF. Game looks better now.

Angel_DvA

Is anyone have a good setting for running et 60FPS with Hairworks On on an i7 4790k/16GO Ram/GTX 980 without too much sacrifice on the IQ ?

AJLma

Is anyone have a good setting for running et 60FPS with Hairworks On on an i7 4790k/16GO Ram/GTX 980 without too much sacrifice on the IQ ?

Foliage Distance: High
Grass Density: High
Shadows: High
DOF: Off

This probably won't get you locked, but it should hover around there.

I'm a bit surprised how much of a hit even high end cards have with hairworks. It doesnt look particularly nice I dont think, certainly no better than tomb raider DE hair for PS4

Are people with Titan X's/980's with full hairworks getting 1080p/60?

Kezen

Banned
I'm a bit surprised how much of a hit even high end cards have with hairworks. It doesnt look particularly nice I dont think, certainly no better than tomb raider DE hair for PS4.

I think it looks much better than TressFX (which isn't any better in the DE than it is in the original 2013 PC release, performance aside) but it's even more taxing.
According to Nvidia :
On average, 10,000 to 40,000 strands of tessellated hair are applied to HairWorks-enhanced models at combat view distances, with up to 60,00 applied to the game's furriest creatures. Up close, when creatures are futilely trying to end Geralt's life, hair counts are cranked up to ensure maximum fidelity, bringing the 40,000 average up to 125,000 in some cases. As they then flee for their lives, hair counts are dynamically scaled back until the enemy is a mere dot in the distance. On Geralt, hair counts average at 30,000, and scale up to 115,000, with around 6,000 hairs just for his beard.

Yeah, that explains a few things. Speaking purely in terms of quality it's unrivaled in my opinion, or at least I've never seen fur/hair rendered with such precision. The hardware is lacking unfortunately, and I'd expect the next Deus Ex to be relatively conservative with Tressfx 3.0 on PC because of performance. CDPR and Nvidia went all out, maybe they should have split Hairworks in two tiers : one only for Geralt's hair and another for more assets, akin to Physx which has medium, high and ultra presets.

By dropping a few settings down a notch. Otherwise, 60fps is unsustainable even on the fastest single GPU setups.

Naedtrax

Banned
Yeah, Hairworks is a joke.

As everyone suggests, they need to make an animals only preset because i think most of us would use it.

IMO Geralts hair looks better WITHOUT hairworks, especially in cut scenes.

Was at my buddies house watching the cut scene where 2 certain people get chased on horses by a bunch of certain people, and Geralt was literally walking on the horse, and his hair was at a horizontal angle. Where as when i got up to this bit, it was perfect without hairworks

Here's my aging/old and busted rig:

AMD Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.8 ghz
AMD 7850 2 GB
4 GB RAM

Based on Techspot's analysis of the game, it looks like my CPU can get up to 55 FPS and my GPU gets between 31-35 FPS @ medium settings and 1080p (acceptable to me).

Now, my question is: Should I go for the PC version of the game with those specs, or get the PS4 version?

Would I get better framerates/IQ on PC or PS4?

PC version>>>>>>>
The fact that you can add mods to to the game to improve it's visuals and whatnot makes it a no brainer.

Kezen

Banned
^Even at only 1080p, with a mutherfucking titan x.

Hairworks is a joke.

I don't see how a single Titan X struggling at 60fps makes Hairworks a "joke". Is the Titan X supposed to be some sort of otherwordly powerful alien artefact ?

It reminds of some people who immediately label X game as unoptimized because the highest end hardware can't max it out (at 60fps, no less).

Very strange frame of mind if you ask me.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't see how a single Titan X struggling at 60fps makes Hairworks a "joke". Is the Titan X supposed to be some sort of otherwordly powerful alien artefact ?

It reminds of some people who immediately label X game as unoptimized because the highest end hardware can't max it out (at 60fps, no less).

Very strange frame of mind if you ask me.

Who gets a titanx to play at 1080p though. 1080p makes the game look more fake with the less distinct vegetation (mush).

And that's what you have to do to get it playable? ...only on the top range nvidia hardware that costs a grand, just to get hairworks going and still not at 60fps without making the vegetation even worse.

Come on, that's a turd of a bonus feature, the hit is too much. Nvidia need to improve the performance if they want to use it as a draw, it's not good enough, not even close.

Oh but next game it will be better.

Kezen

Banned
Who gets a titanx to play at 1080p though. 1080p makes the game look more fake with the less distinct vegetation (mush).

And that's what you have to do to get it playable? ...on the top range nvidia hardware that costs a grand, just to get hairworks going and not at 60fps.

Come on, that's a turd of a bonus feature.

You are entitled to see it that way but as for myself I believe we need more of those features, I don't see how owning a Titan X entitles anyone to maximum settings at 60fps but I'll let those people delude themselves into thinking that.

Hair and fur rendering have always been considered challenging and not very practical from a performance standpoint, therefore it should not come as any surprise that even top end hardware struggles running such tech as 60fps.

I'm an advocate for scalability, just because I can't have something (because Hairworks is too much for my single 970) it should never mean someone else can't.

Again, I'm intrigued by the argument that this is a bad feature because a Titan X can't run it at 60fps, at 1080p or that we should conclude that the feature is not optimized. Can't it be simply that the current hardware landscape is not quite ready yet ?

Oh but next game it will be better.
On better hardware, sure.

I have been using Borderless Window (for triple buffering) + 30fps lock + VSync.

Is there any other tool I can use to achieve the same if I set unlimited FPS and VSync off in the game?

knerl

Personally I think that Hairworks looks really nice. It does however not run nearly as good as I'd like it to. It has the exact same issues as TressFX. At a bit of distance it runs good, but get really close to the simulation and performance takes a nose dive.
That's why I'd like to know how it runs when you look really close with Hairworks enabled on a GTX 980. Considering upgrading, but since AMD is around the corner with their Fiji models it might be stupid to get a 980 now.

knerl

I have been using Borderless Window (for triple buffering) + 30fps lock + VSync.

Is there any other tool I can use to achieve the same if I set unlimited FPS and VSync off in the game?

Video drivers for vsync and tripple buffering. 30fps lock through msi afterburner and rivatuner.

Skyzard

Banned
You are entitled to see it that way but as for myself I believe we need more of those features, I don't see how owning a Titan X entitles anyone to maximum settings at 60fps but I'll let those people delude themselves into thinking that.

Hair and fur rendering have always been considered challenging and not very practical from a performance standpoint, therefore it should not come as any surprise that even top end hardware struggles running such tech as 60fps.

I'm an advocate for scalability, just because I can't have something (because Hairworks is too much for my single 970) it should never mean someone else can't.

Again, I'm intrigued by the argument that this is a bad feature because a Titan X can't run it at 60fps, at 1080p or that we should conclude that the feature is not optimized. Can't it be simply that the current hardware landscape is not quite ready yet ?

On better hardware, sure.

Yeah, it was about 3 years too early, assuming we don't improve other graphical effects by that time and still have to play the major sacrifice game for hairworks.

Sure, it's nice for screenshots.

I'd rather they just implemented more godrays for that performance cost now, because clearly they haven't gotten it to be all that playable for most - without massive drops in IQ/framerate.

M.D

Played for 30+ minutes and max temp for my GPU was 70

Yesterday when I tried shadows on ultra as well as foliage distance it got to 72, and my FPS got as low as 48 (if only for a few seconds) when there was really strong winds and I was out in the open

Now with shadows on high (can't say I see the difference), it feels like 60 at all times (didn't even my frame rate on screen this time)

mm04

I'm a bit surprised how much of a hit even high end cards have with hairworks. It doesnt look particularly nice I dont think, certainly no better than tomb raider DE hair for PS4

I don't have either of those and I run most settings at Ultra and HairWorks on at 1440p/60 with a 970 SLI setup.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Oh really... Are you using high foliage at least?

What does the fps drop down too in combat? And are you using full hairworks?

I tried to achieve a steady 60 fps by turning shadows down to high, and I achieved that without much trouble (my monitor is a 1600x900 one). But then I realized I'm a complete oaf when it comes to identifying technical stuff in games. Hell I had a friend explain to me what chromatic aberration was and even after that when I turned it off I was unsure if I was noticing any difference. I can't tell the difference between SSAO and HBAO+ either. So I said fuck it, cranked everything back up to ultra and turned hairworks on, while turning the fps counter off for good. Tonight I'm going to downsample from 1440p as well. As they say ignorance is bliss and if the game plays well enough for me, I'm happy enough with Sacrificing as much performance as I can get away with for the sake of a better look.

Very impressed with the performance of this game. My lowly 270X (1023 drivers) can as of this patch run it with a either ultra foliage distance or 1440p VSR'd and still maintain 30fps. (Although after playing with both settings for a while I've decided I still prefer 1080p and high foliage distance and a now pretty impressive 40-55fps.)

mm04

^ Oh really... Are you using high foliage at least?

What does the fps drop down too in combat? And are you using full hairworks?

Full HairWorks. Foliage and grass set to High, AA off. That's the extent of graphical compromises. During combat sometimes it drops to mid to low 50s, depending. During some cutscenes, it may drop to mid-40s on occasion on close-ups of Geralt. Also, I have G-Sync which makes the experience even better. Let me tell you, this game running and looking the way it does on my rig makes me feel like it was all money well spent.

edit: It shouldn't be surprising. A 970 SLI setup with a proper SLI profile outperforms a single 980 and Titan.

Kezen

Banned
Yeah, it was about 3 years too early, assuming we don't improve other graphical effects by that time and still have to play the major sacrifice game for hairworks.

Sure, it's nice for screenshots.

I'd rather they just implemented more godrays for that performance cost now, because clearly they haven't gotten it to be all that playable for most - without massive drops in IQ/framerate.

I'd argue that screenshots don't make Hairworks justice. It looks breathtaking in motion though, I wish GPU hardware was more advanced than it is now. As for wise use of ressources Hairworks is more "in your face" (obvious) than tessellated god rays.

Therefore I think CDPR have done well priorising that over another effect.

Again I wish to emphasize that this is all coming from someone who can't run Hairworks at a satisfactory framerate (sub 30fps as soon as 3-4 wolves start appearing).
I, however, value and respect developpers pushing high-end PCs even though it's not practical for 99% of the PC gaming user base. It's optional luxury after all.

well, after 24 hours of no crashes i just got one while turning in a quest.

hope i dont regret updating in a couple hours.

edit: and a second crash while starting the game back up. :(

Skyzard

Banned
I'd argue that screenshots don't make Hairworks justice. It looks breathtaking in motion though, I wish GPU hardware was more advanced than it is now. As for wise use of ressources Hairworks is more "in your face" (obvious) than tessellated god rays.

Therefore I think CDPR have done well priorising that over another effect.

Again I wish to emphasize that this is all coming from someone who can't run Hairworks at a satisfactory framerate (sub 30fps as soon as 3-4 wolves start appearing).
I, however, value and respect developpers pushing high-end PCs even though it's not practical for 99% of the PC gaming user base. It's optional luxury after all.

I know what you mean. I've seen the clip with the hair on that large monster that dashes forward and it's damn awesome. I know that. But it's just not at a reasonable performance even for high end setups. It's almost a joke that it's advertised as a real bonus when it comes with huge sacrifices.

Also when the camera zooms in to geralt (and the hairworks quality improves and the framerate tanks even more) it does look a lot better than default, even with screenshots.

Full HairWorks. Foliage and grass set to High, AA off. That's the extent of graphical compromises. During combat sometimes it drops to mid to low 50s, depending. During some cutscenes, it may drop to mid-40s on occasion on close-ups of Geralt. Also, I have G-Sync which makes the experience even better. Let me tell you, this game running and looking the way it does on my rig makes me feel like it was all money well spent.

edit: It shouldn't be surprising. A 970 SLI setup with a proper SLI profile outperforms a single 980 and Titan.

I read another post with a similar setup (probably without AA off but who knows) mention drops to 40 as well on 970 sli with hairworks at 1440p.

I get that performance at 1440p (under really demanding sections) without hairworks.

That's basically me adding another 780ti just for hairworks.

Kamina

Golden Boy
disappointing to read
Inhave to update myself though.
I'm quite happy with the overall performance with hairworks now.
Reducing the hairworks AA to 2 makes it usable in my opinion. I also found the Ponytail+Shaved-head Hairstyle is less heavy on the performance than the default one.

dragn

with my 970 i get 45-60 fps with hairworks msaax4, everthing ultra and foliage distance on high.just fought that big red haired monster was great

x3sphere

Titan X here overclocked to 1300MHz and it doesn't dip from 60 fps at 1080p.

froliq

Thanks, that was an easy install. Unfortunately keymapping the touchpad doesn't work in this game, unless I'm missing something. The DS4windows program seems pretty straightforward.

make sure to select the scan code box in the window where you bind a key

Jin

Remember to check your texture setting after the patch. It reverts it back to low and sets my screen as borderless instead of fullscreen.

By dropping a few settings down a notch. Otherwise, 60fps is unsustainable even on the fastest single GPU setups.

I think most titan x owners with an overclock get pretty much 60fps all the time. I know I do. Only slow downs are when the camera is forced into geralt's face by propping him against a wall or in a wolf encounter.

Also, 1.04 further improved my performance (although I really would like to have an option to make the text for pick ups smaller again).

Skyzard

Banned
Remember to check your texture setting after the patch. It reverts it back to low and sets my screen as borderless instead of fullscreen.

I wouldn't push it all the way back up to ultra personally, I think high is a nice balance to get rid of too much shimmering (and noise?). Curious to read what others are doing though.

-andy is going to update his nvidia guide, awesome.

Top Bottom