• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

any idea of what the amd 15.6 (batman) driver is like? 15.5 (witcher 3/project cars) is running just fine for me. just want to check before updating.

I need to know this as well. Hopefully, it doesn't have any negative effects.

How much did your driver update help with performance? I'm still on 15.4, I believe.

Apparently, the AK beta driver gives noticeable boost in Witcher 3 performance, according to reddit.

Shadownet

Banned
Does anyone know how to fix the stutters when in Novigrad? I have it capped at 60fps, but when I don't I can get around 70-75fps.

It just kinda jarring when I'm running through Novigrad or just spin the camera around the the frame rate drop to about 53-57fps. It's a sharp drop too so you definitely notice the stutters. It only happen when I'm outside.

Dries

Is it possible to achieve a constant 60 fps at 1440p with a single 980 while having EVERY setting on Ultra? But with Hairworks completely off of course.

Evo X

Is it possible to achieve a constant 60 fps at 1440p with a single 980 while having EVERY setting on Ultra? But with Hairworks completely off of course.

Short answer, no

You're looking at closer to 40fps average at Ultra 1440P on a 980.

Step up to 980Ti or Titan X if you want 60+.

Dries

Short answer, no

You're looking at closer to 40fps average at Ultra 1440P on a 980.

Step up to 980Ti or Titan X if you want 60+.

Yeah, 40 fps is pretty much my experience too... I'm just checking to make sure my performance is in line with other players. Seems to be the case I see. 40 fps with g-sync is great anyway though. Thanks.

welshrat

For those still crashing under nvidia drivers, I have a 970 clocked at 1400mhz and was crashing in the new lego worlds and witcher 3, it wasnt happening enough in the witcher to bother me but would occur every 10 mins or so in lego worlds. I found a post regarding the nvidia streaming service and deactivated it, and I have not had a crash in either game since.

I have no idea if this would help others but just putting it out there.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Installed 15.6 and didn't notice any difference whatsoever framerate wise on my 280x. Reddit guy is full of it

Edit: Or not, he just OC'd his GPU. But yeah I don't see any improvements with the new beta drivers at all. I was hoping it'd be enough to let me stay at 50+ in the overworld and have HBAO+ on, the regular AO is so ugly. Are there any SweetFX alternatives that are cheap but look better than the crap they put in the game? :)

Uff duh

Banned
This game still crash for anybody else? It Seems to happen every couple hours. I can hear Geralt moving but the screen is frozen then it closes.

Coreda

I found a post regarding the nvidia streaming service and deactivated it, and I have not had a crash in either game since.

Reading some anecdotal posts suggests that disabling the service increases the card's performance by up to 6%. Interesting.

Had the game crash maybe 5 times total using a 970 SC, though it feels like something driver related. Perhaps this may help.

WarpGuN

Banned

Not even @ 1080p
With foliage and shadow at high I get 60fps most of the time. On my gtx 980

b1tcrusher

Neo Member
anyone got an idea as to what i'm supposed to do to increase my performance? i'm running 2 MSI GTX 970 in sli with slight overclock. everything on ultra, but hairworks off. 1080p fullscreen. still getting dips to 45-50 fps randomly, not just talking Novigrad but on very random places. this level of perfomance surely isn't right?

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Intel® Core i5-3550
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 8GB
MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G
win7 64-bit

anyone got an idea as to what i'm supposed to do to increase my performance? i'm running 2 MSI GTX 970 in sli with slight overclock. everything on ultra, but hairworks off. 1080p fullscreen. still getting dips to 45-50 fps randomly, not just talking Novigrad but on very random places. this level of perfomance surely isn't right?

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Intel® Core i5-3550
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 8GB
MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G
win7 64-bit

Sounds more like performance I'd expect from a single OC'd 970. You can try to take foliage visibility down to high, and shadows down to high or even medium. Will have very little impact on IQ during gameplay, and should buy you the frames you need to get to 60 in most locations. Shouldn't really be necessary with two 970's at 1080p, though.

EDIT: you could maybe try using DDU to do a clean uninstall of all drivers/GF experience (if you use it) and then re-install. Might have something gumming up the works if you haven't done that in a while. Another thing to try would be to run at stock speeds with your cards. TW3 is pretty dodgy for a lot of users with OC'ing. Especially if you're using software (AB/PX) to accomplish it.

hoserx

Sounds more like performance I'd expect from a single OC'd 970. You can try to take foliage visibility down to high, and shadows down to high or even medium. Will have very little impact on IQ during gameplay, and should buy you the frames you need to get to 60 in most locations. Shouldn't really be necessary with two 970's at 1080p, though.

EDIT: you could maybe try using DDU to do a clean uninstall of all drivers/GF experience (if you use it) and then re-install. Might have something gumming up the works if you haven't done that in a while. Another thing to try would be to run at stock speeds with your cards. TW3 is pretty dodgy for a lot of users with OC'ing. Especially if you're using software (AB/PX) to accomplish it.

Agreed. WIth hairworks off you should be over 60 fps all the time at 1080p with 970 SLI. I only rarely dip below 60 with two 970s at 2560x1600, everything maxed, hairworks off.

LordAmused

Time to try this out!

Today we released a new Hotfix driver that addresses the following issue:

Chrome Crashes/Freezes/TDRs

Delays when starting or switching apps & games with GSYNC enabled

It can be accessed here:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3694

More information about Hot fix drivers:

A GeForce driver is an incredibly complex piece of software, with more lines of code than the entire Windows OS. We have an army of software engineers constantly adding features and fixing bugs. These changes are checked into the main driver branches, which are eventually run through a massive QA process and released.

Since we have so many changes being checked in, we usually try to align driver releases with significant game or product releases. This process has served us pretty well over the years but it has one significant weakness. Sometimes a change that is important to many users might end up sitting and waiting until we are able to release the driver.

The GeForce Hotfix driver is our way to trying to get some of these fixes out to you more quickly. These drivers are basically the same as the previous released version, with a small number of additional targeted fixes. The fixes that make it in are based in part on your feedback in the Driver Feedback threads and partly on how realistic it is for us to quickly address them. These fixes (and many more) will be incorporated into the next official driver release, at which time the Hotfix driver will be taken down.

To be sure, these Hotfix drivers are beta, optional and provided as-is. They are run through a much abbreviated QA process. The sole reason they exist is to get fixes out to you more quickly. The safest option is to wait for the next WHQL certified driver. But we know that many of you are willing to try these out.

These HotFix drivers represent a lot of additional work by our engineering teams, I hope they provide value for you. We’ll try it out and see if people like the idea and want us to continue.

LordAmused

Downloading as we speak.

EDIT: Well, Chrome hasn't crashed in the last 30 minutes, that's a good sign, right? Playing TW3 next, see if it performs better.

No crash with Chrome here too for 4 hours. Played 30 minutes of Witcher 3 without any problems.

Naedtrax

Banned
Hm, i haven't played W3 in over a week and went back to it today and noticed that my FPS is garbage compared to how it used to be?

:(

Sanctuary

Any idea why the game refuses to play in fullscreen after patch 1.05? My screen goes black and it just hangs if I'm not playing in borderless fullscreen. Didn't have this problem before 1.05.

komorebi

Any idea why the game refuses to play in fullscreen after patch 1.05? My screen goes black and it just hangs if I'm not playing in borderless fullscreen. Didn't have this problem before 1.05.

Weird, I switched to fullscreen last night and didn't have any problems. Was playing with borderless before the patch even went live, only switched because I realized I needed to adjust the gamma for my TV.

subwilde

So I bought a 970 OC 4gb to replace my 7970 3gb to keep up with my 1440p monitor and while I had to turn down a few settings I'm happy with the performance!

b1tcrusher

Neo Member

Yeah, I actually did a clean driver install using DDU just to make sure, and it went well. However, the problem persists. Just checked in MSI Afterburner, I can see that GPU2 usage % is only around 10-12 % ?? That can't be right? GPU1 is much higher than that.

Edit: Ah, looked at the wrong parameter. GPU2 usage is actually around 70 %. Hmm...

After installing latest drivers I managed to get a CTD within minutes of playing the game. I thought this had been fixed?!

Anyways I might just hold off playing this again for a while until their upcoming big patch that they are working on. See if that helps things.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
rAbpIIg.gif

The stuttering, it hurts my eyes D:!

kosh56

Neo Member
I recently upgraded from a GTX780 to a GTX980ti. Game ran smoothly with the GTX780 pretty much all of the time.

The GTX980ti runs smoothly with consistent frametimes until I open a menu. After I exit the menu the frametime is ALL OVER the place which causes stuttering even with my G-sync monitor.

I can alt-tab out and back in again and the frametimes are back to normal. Is anybody else experiencing this?

Edit: OK, I did some more playing around and it seems like this only happens when I go to the usable items tab of the inventory. It's pretty reproducible on both the 353.06 and 353.38 drivers.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Just like the game you mean?

I kid. I kid.

Had quite a few CTDs yesterday but then I found that the game had reverted to borderless full screen. My GOG game time counter has also been a bit wonky for some reason.

Turns out your GIF had more relevance in the thread than you first thought :lol.

finalflame

Sigh, went back to play the game today, fully patched, and still getting random crashes to desktop while accessing the inventory. Happened twice in an hour. Absolutely infuriating and makes me never want to touch the game again.

Mind you, this is not a display driver crash or system crash. It's just the game quitting to desktop, pretty cleanly at that (just exits out to desktop with no other hiccup).

Is anyone else still experiencing this or know of any possibly solutions?

Wag

I just upgraded from 3 Titan SLI config to a 980Ti and before I had lots of crashes/lock-ups. Now the game runs smoothly. I just played for 3hrs, no problems, and I was overclocked too.

Not sure if it's the 353.38 Hotfix or the fact that I went to a 980Ti, but whatever I did, it works!

Time for a 2nd 980Ti. 1 Just isn't enough for 4k. 😃

I have not tried 4K DSR just yet, however I'm very tempted is is possible to have everything at Ultra+Hair Works with GTX 970 G1 SLI?

I7 5820K@4.3GHZ
1TB 840 EVO SSD
16GB DDR4@2100MHZ

Also I was playing yesterday with the latest driver at 1440P and everything is as good as it was before, however in a cutscene in Novigrad
I could see a graphic glitch in the guys neck that is getting burnt alive , almost like a green line quickly disappears though.

I'm thinking it is the new driver, I cant be bothered reverting so hopefully the above incident is just a once off thing.

Main question though is 4K,Ultra and Hairworks possible with a 30FPS lock?

Sigh, went back to play the game today, fully patched, and still getting random crashes to desktop while accessing the inventory. Happened twice in an hour. Absolutely infuriating and makes me never want to touch the game again.

Mind you, this is not a display driver crash or system crash. It's just the game quitting to desktop, pretty cleanly at that (just exits out to desktop with no other hiccup).

Is anyone else still experiencing this or know of any possibly solutions?

I got a graphics driver CTD yesterday so I shelved it again in the hope it's getting sorted! I thought there had been a hotfix but it doesn't seem to be working for me!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Never had a crash to desktop before since launch. Started playing today after a few days, (guess it was patched) now getting several crashes per hour.

What gives?

I've been playing happily for nearly 70 hours now, no crashing, no stuttering.

I install the batman drivers then i noticed that Witcher was stuttering really badly.

I installed the hotfix drivers, it seems better but the stuttering still there.

I've had a few crashes too.

Are the Batman drivers and hotfix much worse for the witcher for others?

b0uncyfr0

Whats up with the stuttering? Are CDPR aware of this problem? Ive got a 290x and it stutters whilst running around pretty badly. I believe it has something to do with vram/ram usage.

Vram usage is just plain bad. I have an 8Gb card, and i havent seen w3 using above 1.4Gb AT 1080p. My pagefile on the other hand is loaded with assets and hitting 10Gigs when ive set it to a max of 4Gb , wtf?

Its no wonder its running on 2gb cards alright, CDPR made the game prioritize ram instead of vram. Sure majority benefits, but what about others with vram to spend. Give us an option CDPR!

Whats up with the stuttering? Are CDPR aware of this problem? Ive got a 290x and it stutters whilst running around pretty badly. I believe it has something to do with vram/ram usage.

Vram usage is just plain bad. I have an 8Gb card, and i havent seen w3 using above 1.4Gb AT 1080p. My pagefile on the other hand is loaded with assets and hitting 10Gigs when ive set it to a max of 4Gb , wtf?

Its no wonder its running on 2gb cards alright, CDPR made the game prioritize ram instead of vram. Sure majority benefits, but what about others with vram to spend. Give us an option CDPR!

Not a VRAM problem, but a camera orientation and animation problem. The camera does not animate smoothly.

Kiyoshi

I haven't had one crash (after 40 hours) since the very first patch, so the game is running great for me (60fps on an i7 920, GTX 970) but there's one thing that is bothering me; and that's character model pop-in in some built up areas. For example, I visit the Nilfguard stronghold in the south-east of Vellen and when I approach the gates the two guards just popped in right in front of my nose. It's really jarring. Any known fixes for this? It doesn't happen often, but it's frequent enough that I want to try to resolve it if possible.

Not a VRAM problem, but a camera orientation and animation problem. The camera does not animate smoothly.

Then why to certain drivers cause stuttering and others don't?

FYI i play with G-Sync and Unlimted frame rate. As i said above, buttery smooth pre-batman drivers, stuttering since.

Seanspeed

Banned
I haven't had one crash (after 40 hours) since the very first patch, so the game is running great for me (60fps on an i7 920, GTX 970) but there's one thing that is bothering me; and that's character model pop-in in some built up areas. For example, I visit the Nilfguard stronghold in the south-east of Vellen and when I approach the gates the two guards just popped in right in front of my nose. It's really jarring. Any known fixes for this? It doesn't happen often, but it's frequent enough that I want to try to resolve it if possible.
Known issue that affects all platforms.

No fix.

Then why to certain drivers cause stuttering and others don't?

FYI i play with G-Sync and Unlimted frame rate. As i said above, buttery smooth pre-batman drivers, stuttering since.

I have never had that so I cannot comment on it. Does it stutter when you limit the framerate to 60 through RTSS?

Regginator

It doesn't happen a lot and it's far from unplayable of course, but sometimes when Geralt lies down (or any other character with a necklace) the medallion physics start getting all crazy.

Jtrizzy

Look at the horse's legs when trotting, you can see the stutter happening at the same point in the animation. It looks like it just doesn't loop right or something.

Anyone one else think something off when Geralt is running too? With the stick pushed all the way forward (not pressing A) there seems to be a stutter going on with the camera. It seems really similar. Walking at half speed, or full speed running doesn't have this problem Unless it's some kind of camera shake, but either way it's super annoying.

I am happy to be getting great performance now on my 970's. 1080p and a solid 60 fps everything on, including hairworks. Really only occasional drop in the 50's, it's pretty impressive playing at such a smooth 60 fps in an open world game.

daninthemix

What's the best way to lock it at 30fps? I heard the frame pacing of the built in lock is a little off.

There are many posts (and varying opinions) in this very thread. I played for over 100 hours via this method:

NVCP: half-refresh v-sync, max pre-rendered frames=1, prefer maximum performance
In-game: full screen, v-sync off, frame-rate unlimited, motion blur off

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Seriously, is it the new Nvidia drivers or was there a patch to TW itself that is causing all these crashes?

Played for dozens of hours without a single crash, now getting one every half an hour.

Rolling back drivers help? Is it possible to rollback patches without rendering saves useless?

What gives?

dEvAnGeL

not even a 980ti will give you a solid 60 with all setting on ultra at 1440p, as soon as it starts raining the frame will drop to the 55s on cities and sometimes on dense forests to 48 or 50, i have my 980ti with the boost clock set to 1450 and have shadows and foliage range down to high, to be honest the difference on shadows is pretty much unnoticeable and on foliage you can see the difference on screenshots but is not so big that is worth to sacrifice better IQ for the difference gained

foliage visibility ULTRA
the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-foliage-visibility-range-001-ultra.png

foliage visibility HIGH
the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-foliage-visibility-range-001-high.png

shadows ULTRA
the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-shadow-quality-001-ultra.png

shadows HIGH
the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-shadow-quality-001-high.png

Seanspeed

Banned
I like foliage distance on Ultra. I choose that sometimes but its the difference between really consistent and only kinda consistent performance. Looks really good though as the cutoff in foliage can be quite noticeable in enough situations on High.

Shadows can basically be turned all the way down to Medium, though.

Top Bottom