• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Season 3, Killer Instinct has grown into the "people's champ" of fighting games

SFV has an amazing netcode when it works, don't know what game you've been playing.

The matchmaking's so god awful that you're often waiting 3-5 minutes for a match and then you're put with somebody who lags hard. DoA4's netcode was amazing when it worked, it doesn't mean it had great netcode.

Grazzt

I suck at playing fighting games, but I enjoy watching others play this game so much. Something I never did before.

Going to start, again, today and see if I enjoy the game as much as others.

Either way, I'll train with a character and see where that goes.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Game is fun to play and mess around in for sure. Even though it is F2P it is pretty deceitful because if you want to play other characters that aren't up for that week you have to wait and hope yours is coming up soon. Games like this almost force you to spend some sort of money to try things out at a decent pace and I've found that you end up spending more money on F2P games than you do full priced releases.

It has also had the advantage of already being in it's 3rd season. Hopefully more games follow suit and makes the changes necessary to appeal to the masses (looking at you SFV). If I would have to choose the "people's champ" for FGs i would honestly go with ArcSys games like GGXrd and BBCP as they offer robust modes that are top notch IMO.

Thankfully we have many different options of games to choose from for all types of players. With GCU and Amazon Prime offering 20% off retail games it makes it easier to jump into FGs than before. Wish I could get KI season 3 20% off but I will just have to bite the bullet when the fix the HFR monitor issues and UWA limitations.

Agreed. They surprised me greatly based on their track record. I prefer their characters and designs to IG so far honestly. I fear that this game is starting to turn into Guest Fighter like MKX has been with their DLC.

It has 2 guest fighters. 2. With only one more confirmed. So it will have 3. At most. MK has like at least 4 or 5 currently. Hell, even the SoulCalibur series has had at least 5 over the journey.

Technically even Street Fighter has had more over its franchises history. KI has/had had 4. Sabrewulf, Rash, Arbiter and RAAM.

SFV has an amazing netcode when it works, don't know what game you've been playing.

That can be said with any video game that has online multiplayer .The game loves to put me against people from South America and the Caribbeans and sometimes Canada(Living in Central Florida). SFV doesn't base on finding games by ping and the game has the biggest input lag of any fighting game on PC when trying to fight people online.

He's right tho'. The main issue with SFV is the matchmaking, not the netcode. I played a lot against friends, and it's like i'm playing offline.
The netcode has massive problems too. It doesn't properly handle synchronization. If you're not seeing any problems it's likely you're the player with the lesser connection, which gives you an advantage in SF5.

The netcode has a strong foundation, I'm hoping they can eventually get it working properly.

If I had no clue how to play any fighter, I'd want to watch the one with explosions, smoking flashing trails of motion, a billion particles, and a Raptor fighting a Mayan woman after it took down a werewolf.

Just say'n. :p

Sounds good on paper, but the viewer counts don't shake out that way.

Daft Punk

Banned
Guilty Gear XRD is a better fighting game, with a lot of content for both competitive and casual fighting game fans. It's also a very beautiful game that you can play on PS3, PS4 and PC without having to install Windows 10. That's the people champ.

Killer Instinct is a cool game tho' : Good netcode, great OST.

No lies detected. Revelator is going to be good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Such a great game. Here's to its continued success. Game is fun as hell to play and they have some very smart people working for them. I give it an A+!

Pretty high praise for a game nobody is interested in for high level play. They try to do their own events but I don't think anybody is watching.

It's a good reboot of the franchise but anyone I know who likes fighting games isn't interested in it. It's a fine casual fighter but gameplay wise its nowhere near mk, guilty gear, tekken, or street fighter.

It must sell well enough to keep getting support though. With kof and tekken 7 on the horizon I wonder how much room there is for it though.

Their stages look great but the character models are so ugly.

I tried to download the pc version but it just crashes while checking what I own (bought season 1 and 2 on xb1 before I sold it) so I deleted it.

Won't ever touch the God tier footsie game street fighter 5 has going. Playing that game feels so good in the neutral game.

Is simple talk about any fighting game on the market a legitimate excuse to shit on SFV now? Jesus.

It's become really embarrassing how far people will stretch to find an excuse to poke at sf5.

At this point just hang in their and wait to see if the "Content" you want gets added or enjoy an expertly made and balanced fighting game that's focused on play vs other people rather than the cpu. The shit posting that the game gets feels disingenuous at this point and only because people feel personally burned that the game chose to prioritize online play.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It's become really embarrassing how far people will stretch to find an excuse to poke at sf5.

At this point just hang in their and wait to see if the "Content" you want gets added or enjoy an expertly made and balanced fighting game that's focused on play vs other people rather than the cpu. The shit posting that the game gets feels disingenuous at this point and only because people feel personally burned that the game chose to prioritize online play.

Prioritized online play that worked pretty bad first week, didn't have lobbies until a month after release and still doesn't really punish quitters in ranked matches. Perhaps they should have prioritized it more.

We all know SF5 will still coast by on the Street Fighter name, no matter how much Capcom screws up...

Not really. It seems to have bombed at retail, and is only being kept alive because it plays so well and the FGC is really galvanizing around it. Ironically, Capcom rushing the game out in time for the start of Capcom Pro Tour has been both a blessing and a curse.

At some point I really need to give into KI. Been meaning to for well over a year but never quite found the right time. Although I commend what MSFT has managed to do with it. When they initially announced the business model, I was hyper skeptical. Happy to eat crow though.

Razlo

It's just going to get outdated unless they literally make zero changes, which isn't likely. They are bound to do another update, so I think it will be quite a wait until we get to the "finished" product. An ultimate disk now would be pointless.

I can wait!

Prioritized online play that worked pretty bad first week, didn't have lobbies until a month after release and still doesn't really punish quitters in ranked matches. Perhaps they should have prioritized it more.

This is the kind of exaggeration that I'm talking about. The game had one on one lobbies at launch. The ones it has now are really good.

And yes there were server issues at launch but once the servers stabilized I don't think people were having many issues when playing 4-5 bar connections. 3 bar and less had rollback but that's the nature of online play.

Rage quitting is a bigger issue but it's just a reason to quit caring about rank and spend more time in the lobby battles which are faster and you can set first to 2,3,5, etc. Once it gets fixed I'll probably go back to ranked.

I create a battle lobby and Ive usually got a player in within a minute.

fernoca

I'd say that as far as current gen fighting games, Mortal Kombat X is still the "champ".

But Killer Instinct is darn amazing, especially since it came from a new team then made even better with time.

specdot

Is simple talk about any fighting game on the market a legitimate excuse to shit on SFV now? Jesus.
When Gaf has it out for a game, they straight savage.
And no, OP, people champ goes to GG Xrd.
KI is better than it was back in the SNES/N64 era, but that's not saying much. The characters are tacky and the music is lame. I understand the appeal though. The casuals love this game.

mcrommert

Banned
Pretty high praise for a game nobody is interested in for high level play. They try to do their own events but I don't think anybody is watching.

It's a good reboot of the franchise but anyone I know who likes fighting games isn't interested in it. It's a fine casual fighter but gameplay wise its nowhere near mk, guilty gear, tekken, or street fighter.

It must sell well enough to keep getting support though. With kof and tekken 7 on the horizon I wonder how much room there is for it though.

I tried to download the pc version but it just crashes while checking what I own (bought season 1 and 2 on xb1 before I sold it) so I deleted it.

Won't ever touch the God tier footsie game street fighter 5 has going. Playing that game feels so good in the neutral game.

Yeah! This man done told all Yu!

Seriously though we can see right thru you like cellophane

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This is the kind of exaggeration that I'm talking about. The game had one on one lobbies at launch. The ones it has now are really good.

And yes there were server issues at launch but once the servers stabilized I don't think people were having many issues when playing 4-5 bar connections. 3 bar and less had rollback but that's the nature of online play.

Rage quitting is a bigger issue but it's just a reason to quit caring about rank and spend more time in the lobby battles which are faster and you can set first to 2,3,5, etc. Once it gets fixed I'll probably go back to ranked.

I create a battle lobby and Ive usually got a player in within a minute.

Cmon son you know I meant actual lobbies. A 1v1 room is not a lobby. It is some straight up nonsense in a fighting game in 2016.

Pff... Killer Instinct was far from free. But I am glad that the MS PR magic has worked so wonderfully on you.

What exactly do you call a game that you can download and play for free?

SephLuis

I would like to play this out of curiosity. I am a big fan of fighters, but I am already focused on SF and GG on a competitive level.

Hopefully someday when I get a good PC or a Xbox

KI is better than it was back in the SNES/N64 era, but that's not saying much. The characters are tacky and the music is lame. I understand the appeal though. The casuals love this game.

Wtf is this bullshit?

Nuu

Banned
Still not too gunho about the whole f2p aspect, but it got me to play.

The game is far better than I expected it to be. The online uses GGPO and thus has better online than any modern released fighting game but Skullgirls. The game is very balanced as no fight goes beyond 7-3 despite having a fair share of characters. It is also feels very unique as the way one implements and uses combos is significantly different from the Marvel or anime type fighting games.

Possibly the second best fighting game to come out of the Fighting Game Renaissance (Skullgirls is #1). It took Rare thirteen years before they made a legitimately great game for Microsoft, but here we are.

EDIT - Rare technically didn't even make it.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in this thread.

It's a bit of a button masher, no?

Just like a Marvel game, it certainly feels like that when you play it, but there is more than meets the eye with it.

ScOULaris

I'm with you on Xrd being a great game that also deserves more attention, but you lost me when you shit on KI's masterful soundtrack.

Warxard

Banned
Want to have a circlejerk KI thread? So be it. I like KI as well. But don't act like this game didn't have a rocky as hell start, and is somehow absolved of it by being currently successful.

Yeah I really don't like the revisionist history have with KI either. Launch was abysmal and had issues -- bugs, online desync etc. season 1 sucked in the beginning.

But sequential releases made that game into an excellent fighting game.

Just like Skullgirls.
Just like KOFXII.
Just like Calamity Trigger.

so this isn't really anything new.

SFV still sucks though, WOAT SF game hands down going back to my KOF98 goons idc idc

I'm joking SFV is okay

Warxard

Banned
Pff... Killer Instinct was far from free. But I am glad that the MS PR magic has worked so wonderfully on you.

It is free. Every mode, every unlock was completely free. You just had to buy the characters. That's the model of KI. It's not the model's fault if YOU don't like the rotating character.

KI has the best fighting game music this gen second only to Chronophantasma, so I don't know what to tell you homie

ScOULaris

Are fighting games even popular today with lol and stuff? genuine question.
Of all the major competitive genres they are more niche than the big boys like MOBAs and first-person shooters, but they are still popular on the whole and their tournaments are some of the best to watch in my opinion.

They also have a tremendous legacy since they are essentially the original eSport with their arcade roots.

lol OP reads like an advertisement.

That was my intention! I love this game and want more people to play it. It's more of an endorsement than an advertisement, really.

Nuu

Banned

The genre has never reached its heights of the mid-90s, but is currently more popular than it was during any other time period that followed it. Street Fighter V may have bombed but pretty much every other game is meeting expectations. The genre is in a far better state than it was a decade ago and seems to be that it will stay healthy with a variety of dedicated mid-sized developers and independent developers leading the way for the genre. Even if Capcom outright leaves the genre again the genre will stay strong.

What's interesting is that there seem to be as many quality developers on the Western front popping up as there is in the East. Even Brazil seems to be making a very good looking fighting game.

CodeNfX

I've upgraded to Win 10 just for this game and it's well worth it. All the characters are so interesting and awesome.

Synth

Holy shit... the nerve you must have to make these two posts back to back.

Baleoce

I have about 2mb download so getting this off the MS store is a bit difficult. But I'll persevere xD Would be nice if there was a retail version. having said that, I'm impressed with its ongoing support and I want to experience it firsthand.

Moofers

Mmmyes, I do declare the casuals are quite taken with this garish and unrefined piece of "art". Mmm ha ha ha ha ha! *sips tea*

Get the fuck OUTTA here with that shit. The music is some of the best goddamn fightan' game music that has ever been composed, SON. And that's fuckin REAL TALK, not up for debate.

The characters are a direct nod to the 90's heyday of fighters. You know, when the whole genre ruled the roost? Kudos to them for having the balls to make a game with a fuckin werewolf, a cybernetic raptor, a fuckin BATTLETOAD, etc. I mean how many fighting games with karate guys do we need? How many anime fighters do we have now? Like a million? I LOVE fighting games, even the trashy anime ones that are just ridiculous fan-service but let's not pretend KI isn't leagues better than 95% of them. Hisako might be a ripoff of the Grudge but dammit if she isn't one of the more inspired fighting game characters to come out in a long damn while. And Sadira is just straight up hotness all around. Amazing hips aside, her moveset is poetry in motion. Most of the KI roster is just straight up kick ass.

KI had a rough start, for sure. It launched with 6 characters. SIX. CHARACTERS. That's awful. BUT, let us be very clear about where it is now. The roster is way bigger now, there are numerous stages, each with different phases and secrets, the soundtrack is boss as hell, and the online is tight. The training mode is one of the best around, I mean who does it better aside from maybe Skullgirls? Anyone?

Give credit where its due, man. KI is back in a big fuckin way. Its only going to get more recognition as season 3 rolls on.

.la1n

Mortal Kombat XL is much closer to the people's champ after they fixed the net code issue. It's damn near flawless in single player and multiplayer offerings. Killer Instinct absolutely deserves some praise for offering a nearly equal package and one that didn't cost $59.99 from the get go.

Ultimately I don't understand why these topics have to boil down to which fighting game "wins." It's a niche genre that we are fortunate to have as many options available to us as we do right now. Trashing other fighting games because they aren't your favorite isn't doing the already small community any favors. It also turns off potential players who are influenced by people constantly beating the "x game sucks" drum who have probably never touched it.

fallingdove

So having access to every single mode with a rotating character for free isn't free?

Um...ooook?

Sure that's free. But you are being intellectually dishonest by trying to equate that pittance of a demo to what SFV offered @ $60.

I apologize though, please get back to your circle jerk.

Nuu

Banned
While the music good and certainly fits the game, referring the soundtrack as a "masterpiece" is a bit of a stretch.

The game's competitive community is actually reasonably large. It is also one of the fastest growing competitive scenes out there along with Mortal Kombat and Skullgirls.

As I've said before, these American made fighting games are really growing into their own.

Theyre popular, but not Dota popular. Though you can say that about pretty much everything. EVO tends to get 100k+ live viewers which is pretty good. Again, not Dota good, but its good.

friz898

Hey guys.. I haven't quite been under a rock, I have tons of other comments and questions and watched a bunch of gameplay videos and character reveals..

..but as a PS4/PC owner who for some reason still has not bought it for PC after being excited it was coming.. i have one single question.

If KI2 or KI2 Gold (N64) was a 10 on a 1-10 scale, use the weighted magazine 6-10 scale if you want...

how would KI3 rank? 8 or 9? 10 meaning same? or some fake number like 10+ or 11?

Top Bottom