• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•05-07•17 - Baby Groot & fam show IRL Groot & fam who's Boss

Great Saturday jump for Guardians. Box office panic crisis

Get Out ending its theatrical run at $175 mil would be a pretty amazing accomplishment.

I'm kinda surprised the domestic numbers for Fate is "only" at slightly above $200mil.

It's been having typical Furious legs in all honestly (big second weekend drop & so on), so I'm not surprised.

From BOM

Audience demographics show the film playing to an audience that was 56% male vs. 44% female, and overall 22% of the audience as 25 years-old or younger and a whopping 72% of the audience were adults while only 9% were teenagers.

Out of touch geriatrics are going to be main audience for MCU films in the next decade.

DJChuy

Fantastic numbers for GotG2. Movie is probably making me a killing in merchandise thanks to Baby Groot.

Lower than expected for F8, but F7 had a lot of things going for it such Paul Walker's death and the See You Again song.

BumRush

Do teenagers think they're too cool for Guardians? What's the story there? I would have thought it'd play well to teens

From BOM

Out of touch geriatrics are going to be main audience for MCU films in the next decade.

More 80s and early 90s. Tap into the nostalgia. GOTG3 opens with Informer by Snow.

If Iron Man 3 didn't expertly use Eiffel 65, they could've done a shot for shot recreation of the Blue music video for the finale.

wachie

Nah but Vin must have hit a nerve with you.
That doesnt even make sense, but keep at it. Atleast you are consistent.

Your perspective of what is good is not a fact of what is good.
When did I claim otherwise. Saying Avatar is a masterpiece of writing, direction, dialogue is an opinion and you are entitled to it.

So you should be happy that F8 hit a billion so quickly.
I've made my peace with the Fast series just like the Transformers series. :)

Saying Avatar is a masterpiece of writing, direction, dialogue is an opinion and you are entitled to it.

Anytime you want to post a quote of me saying Avatar was a masterpiece in any of those categories, feel free to do so.

Here's a hint:
Save your time--I never said anything of the sort.

kswiston

DM3 to rule the summer?

Illumination stays winning.

2018 is the only year they let Pixar release something in their typical June slot without taking a shotgun to its legs a couple of weekends later. They have laid claim to that 4th of July slot from 2019-2023.

BumRush

So I'll preface this by saying that I'm insanely excited for alien covenant. It's probably decent - not great - but I love the universe (and xenomorph design) so much that I don't care.

With that said, I really hope the projected $150M prod budget isn't true. After Prometheus' box office underperformance, I hope they didn't just think throwing an extra $30M at a sequel was a good idea.

So I'll preface this by saying that I'm insanely excited for alien covenant. It's probably decent - not great - but I love the universe (and xenomorph) design so much that I don't care.

I have wanted a good Alien movie since Aliens but every single one has hurt me. I am cautiously optimistic but scared.

3N16MA

Banned
Wachie almost got his wish when the turd known as Tokyo Shit almost killed the franchise. However China and the rest of the world now owns the Fast franchise. Pretty similar to Transformers.

They will never stop and you will also have to deal with the spinoff.

Wachie almost got his wish when the turd known as Tokyo Shit almost killed the franchise. However China and the rest of the world now owns the Fast franchise. Pretty similar to Transformers.

They will never stop and you will also have to deal with the spinoff.

Don't worry. He made his peace.

3N16MA

Banned
2018 is the only year they let Pixar release something in their typical June slot without taking a shotgun to its legs a couple of weekends later. They have laid claim to that 4th of July slot from 2019-2023.

Probably one of the more interesting rivalries (if you want to call it that) at the box office.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The DM3 acronym always trips me up in these threads.

I didn't know they made two of those movies, let alone three. Next someone will say Megamind 4 is coming out in August.

I feel like you have to make an effort to avoid the fact that Despicable Me 2 exists.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I have wanted a good Alien movie since Aliens but every single one has hurt me. I am cautiously optimistic but scared.

Just don't watch it. Break the Sonic Cycle. Be strong.

I now think GOTG2 looked like shit

in all seriousness though, what I saw of Tarzan looked real stunning too

A8tsXqF.jpg

Yes. Yes it did.

kswiston

If it had a 0% RT I'd still go see it. That and Terminator are my kryptonite.

You're a fellow first half of the 80s baby no?

Most of our childhood favourites are never going to be treated right. At least Ridley Scott is interested in making more than nostalgia cash-ins (for better or worse).

BumRush

You're a fellow first half of the 80s baby no?

Most of our childhood favourites are never going to be treated right. At least Ridley Scott is interested in making more than nostalgia cash-ins (for better or worse).

Yeah, '83. What's happened to the Terminator franchise is the most frustrating thing in film for me.

We regularly have debates on here...Terminator vs T2...Alien vs Aliens. All of those films were so long ago and neither franchise has had a film since that was better than 'decent'

Most of our childhood favorites weren't fuckin' right in the first place.

Childhood itself is pretty fuckin' shitty.

But I dunno - Star Wars is doing pretty okay

ZeoVGM

Banned
Neither of the last two are over $1B with current exchange rates, and The Last Knight doesnt get a $160M bump in China this go-around.

This is valid. I feel like it's going to do better in America than the last movie did though.

Nothing specific to back this up, just a feeling. I'm curious to see how much they use the younger girl in the marketing and if that can increase the female turnout.

kswiston

Most of our childhood favorites weren't fuckin' right in the first place.

Childhood itself is pretty fuckin' shitty.

But I dunno - Star Wars is doing pretty okay

I am mainly talking about the better action films from the 80s and early 90s that had 1-2 great films, and then endless mediocrity. Not stuff like the Goonies or Flight of the Navigator, which aren't very good to begin with in retrospect.

Top Bottom