• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•05-07•17 - Baby Groot & fam show IRL Groot & fam who's Boss

The DM3 acronym always trips me up in these threads.

I didn't know they made two of those movies, let alone three. Next someone will say Megamind 4 is coming out in August.

Yeah I always forget how big those piece of crap movies are.

The Minions really propelled them into a big franchise

Yeah I always forget how big those piece of crap movies are.

The Minions really propelled them into a big franchise

As someone with a 6 year old niece, Despicable Me 2 was not a particularly small movie. It ended up a shade under a billion worldwide, and at 380M domestic.

I enjoyed Despicable Me, and thought 2 was a bit of a disappointment. Gru as a good guy is just dull, IMO.

Minions, though, is a piece of crap. The minions can't carry a movie (even one only 90 minutes long) and the humans characters were all dire. I'm actually struggling to think of an animated film I saw in theaters that was less enjoyable.

J_Viper

As much as I enjoyed GotG2, the Baby Groot dancing intro was Minions-tier shit.

If you told me they outsourced that scene to Gearbox, I would have believed it.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I clown Disco's opinions a lot, but he's in the right. Illumination's movies suck.

*proceeds to cry over the dissolution of Laika*

kswiston

I don't know if it was already mentioned, but the cumulative worldwide total for the MCU series is now over $11B.

The Fast and Furious series also passed the $5B mark a few days back. They are now higher than the Batman franchise (including LEGO Batman and BvS).

kswiston

What the fuck

The old films are old. Batman 1989 through Batman and Robin combined worldwide made about what Fate of the Furious is heading towards.

F6 and F7 combined made about $2.3B, vs a little under $2.1B for TDK and TDKR combined.

The leftover from that comparison + F5's gross is almost what BvS made.

Then you have Batman Begins and LEGO Batman vs F1-4.

The old films are old. Batman 1989 through Batman and Robin combined worldwide made about what Fate of the Furious is heading towards.

F6 and F7 combined made about $2.3B, vs a little under $2.1B for TDK and TDKR combined.

What's the difference between Dom Toretto and Batman?

Dom still has his family. Too soon?

Schlorgan

I don't know if it was already mentioned, but the cumulative worldwide total for the MCU series is now over $11B.

The Fast and Furious series also passed the $5B mark a few days back. They are now higher than the Batman franchise (including LEGO Batman and BvS).
Fantastic.

Salute, mi familia.

Holy shit, what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

Other interesting things are that Rowling's Wizardry World has the highest average of any franchise. Star Wars would have had it, but they count the 2008 clone wars movie, which only made 68MM. Even without adjust for inflation, SW still averages 835MM. DCU also averages a bit higher than MCU, but they have the benefit of every single one of their movies coming post Avengers whereas MCU has Thor1, Cap1, and TIH bringing the average way down. X-Men should average way higher than it does and Spiderman average is close to 800MM, so I would think anything less than that for Homecoming will be seen as a failure. Avatar 2 will get on this list and have the highest average as soon as Avatar 2 releases.

Other interesting things are that Rowling's Wizardry World has the highest average of any franchise. Star Wars would have had it, but they count the 2008 clone wars movie, which only made 68MM. Even without adjust for inflation, SW still averages 835MM. DCU also averages a bit higher than MCU, but they have the benefit of every single one of their movies coming post Avengers whereas MCU has Thor1, Cap1, and TIH bringing the average way down. X-Men should average way higher than it does and Spiderman average is close to 800MM, so I would think anything less than that for Homecoming will be seen as a failure. Avatar 2 will get on this list and have the highest average as soon as Avatar 2 releases.

Clone Wars made 68 million dollars. That is amazing.

I thought it made far less.

BumRush

Very interesting, thanks!

kswiston

It's unlikely any series will ever catch up to them, unless we start getting two Star Wars film a year pretty soon.

Even if Disney decides to accelerate Star Wars (and the films don't start to see diminishing returns), it will take some time to catch up.

MCU has a pretty good shot at topping $13B by the time the Last Jedi comes out. I'd guess that the Last Jedi brings the Star Wars total to a bit more than $9B.

Unless the MCU completely falls apart post-Avengers 4 nothing is really in a position to overtake it in the next 10 years.

kswiston

I don't think Spider-Man technically counts since it is Sony.

It does for the MCU as a franchise. Disney didn't start distributing until the Avengers, but we still count the first 5 films. Star Wars, Bond, etc are split as well.

I think MCU ends the year over 13B. Assuming another 400MM or so for GOTG2, that leaves ~650MM average for Homecoming and Ragnarok.

I agree. I don't think that GOTG2 has $400M left, but close enough that it doesn't change the rest of your numbers much.

Even if Disney decides to accelerate Star Wars (and the films don't start to see diminishing returns), it will take some time to catch up.

MCU has a pretty good shot at topping $13B by the time the Last Jedi comes out. I'd guess that the Last Jedi brings the Star Wars total to a bit more than $9B.

Unless the MCU completely falls apart post-Avengers 4 nothing is really in a position to overtake it in the next 10 years.
I was actually going to make a somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment that the Avatar franchise will get, but by 2025, the MCU films will probably over $20B. Each Avatar film could grow by 15% and still their total gross would be well below that mark.

kswiston

I was actually going to make a somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment that the Avatar franchise will get, but by 2025, the MCU films will probably over $20B. Each Avatar film could grow by 15% and still their total gross would be well below that mark.

$20B is super conservative.

Around $13B by the end of this year. Let's look forward.

2018 - Infinity War, Ant-Man and Wasp, Black Panther. - $2B on the low end. Potentially quite a bit more than that.

2019 - Avengers 4, Spider-man Homecoming 2, Captain Marvel - The first two will probably clear $2B. Add in whatever Captain Marvel does.

So that is at least $17B. I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually over $18B. The $20B mark will happen by 2021. 2022 at the latest. How many Avatar sequels are out by then? Maybe 2? All 4 Avatar sequels could probably make $5B each and it wouldn't end up mattering.

Schlorgan

The $20B mark will happen by 2021. 2022 at the latest. How many Avatar sequels are out by then? Maybe 2? All 4 Avatar sequels could probably make $5B each and it wouldn't end up mattering.
If any Avatar sequels ever come out. xD

On a (mostly) unrelated note: Alien Covenant is at 79% RT after 28 reviews. I bet it settles in the high 60's.

If things go according to plan, a whopping TWO Avatar sequels will be out by the end of 2021. And then we will have 3 years worth of threads to talk about them before the next one.

But Spider-Man Homecoming 2 will be completely divorced from the MCU if Rothman has his way, right? I also think it's going to be interesting to see how MCU films perform post-Avengers 4 if that ends up being the last hurrah for Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, etc. It may be the last $1B grosser for the franchise for quite some time.

kswiston

If things go according to plan, a whopping TWO Avatar sequels will be out by the end of 2021. And then we will have 3 years worth of threads to talk about them before the next one.

But Spider-Man Homecoming 2 will be completely divorced from the MCU if Rothman has his way, right?

I thought that happened after 2. Which is why there isn't a third Marvel film in 2019, even though they are sort of pushing it with Doctor Strange 2 if they wait until 2020.

lol, damn, it would take two sub-$30 million films back to back for Avatar to average below Harry Potter.

Edit: Huh, if my math is right, Jurassic World 2 would only need to pass $1,054,956,916 for the Jurassic Park series to take that throne from Potter next year. Seems pretty likely, no?

Edit 2: lol, Lord of the Rings got fucked hard on that list by that 1978 animated film.

I thought that happened after 2. Which is why there isn't a third Marvel film in 2019, even though they are sort of pushing it with Doctor Strange 2 if they wait until 2020.
Yep, you're right. This is all getting to be too much for me to keep track of.

Marvel has 3 films scheduled for 2020, two of them are surely Doctor Strange 2 and Guardians 3. The other is most likely a new franchise.

kswiston

lol, damn, it would take two sub-$30 million films back to back for Avatar to average below Harry Potter.

Edit: Huh, if my math is right, Jurassic World 2 would only need to pass $1,054,956,916 for the Jurassic Park series to take that throne from Potter next year. Seems pretty likely, no?

Edit 2: lol, Lord of the Rings got fucked hard on that list by that 1978 animated film.

Jurassic World 2 would have to crater to miss $1B. Unlike a lot of stuff in the years before it, Jurassic World released when exchange rates were already fairly bad.

Also, Fantastic Beasts 2 will probably drop the Potter average some, unless the Dumbledore stuff is a huge boost.

As for your second edit, a lot of film franchises are low on that list because the editors are including random stuff. Transformers includes the 80s Cartoon that made like $5M. The Bayformers average is $943M.

EDIT: That wiki page reminds me of how terrible Guinness Book of Records' Top 10 films adjusted for worldwide inflation list is. You'd think that something like that would be more consistent.

Top Bottom