• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•09-11•17 - Wonder Woman deflects competition, Cruise cries for his Mummy

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
yxC8HG0.jpg

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Well crap. Went to get 2 tickets for a 3-4 WW and 2 theaters are sold out of everything but front row seats. Guess 5:00 it is. Me thinks Sunday will exceed expectations.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I read somewhere that WW is behaving more like a Disney Princess feature than an actual Superhero film with those holds. I couldnt remember where I read it, but it makes sense.

BumRush

Cooter, from the other thread:

Awesome that your daughter loved it...my wife and I are going to go next week (I've been traveling non-stop for work) and we're both so pumped

Anth0ny

Still expecting Sunday to do better than expected and WW ends up doing $60m this weekend.

So well deserved too.

Dinda

Fantastic for WW.

So we talked a lot about the next female led cbm's with Batgirl and Sirens for DC, Captain Marvel for Marvel and that Sony is thinking about a Movie with 2 females out of the Spiderverse? (is that how it's called?)
But what about Fox? They arguably have the best marvel female heroes right? Will they make a standalone movie for one of them?

Fantastic for WW.

So we talked a lot about the next female led cbm's with Batgirl and Sirens for DC, Captain Marvel for Marvel and that Sony is thinking about a Movie with 2 females out of the Spiderverse? (is that how it's called?)
But what about Fox? They arguably have the best marvel female heroes right? Will they make a standalone movie for one of them?
The next X-men film is titled Dark Phoenix, right? That could be heavily Jean Grey focused.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Fantastic for WW.

This is something I feel like WB should swoop in on and build up. Marvel can't react for a while since everything is planned and Capt Marvel is still 2 years out.

Girls are loving Wonder Women, Girls loved Harley.

WB with Bat Girl with Whedon should be in good hands, but dump Ayer on Sirens and get another female director attached to lead.

border

You might wanna hold off on that.

If this doesn't kill the Dark Universe, then what will? How many times are they going to try and launch it? How many failures will they endure?

If they can't make The Mummy work, then Bride of Frankenstein is absolutely fucked. At least The Mummy is kind of a proven IP. Has there even been a successful Frankenstein adaptation in the last 50 years? No, Young Frankenstein does not count.

FTF

I actually find it kinda funny that Thor of all damn things has been quietly holding that fort all these years.

It's cause it's one of the lowest (if not the lowest) opening weekends on that list. Like Batman Begins would be #2 on that list if included, as it fell 43.4% on its second weekend of a $49m ow.

Spider-man is the real #1 winner though...fell 37.8% off a $115m ow. And SM2 doesn't really count as it opened on a Wed.

Toa TAK

Banned
If this doesn't kill the Dark Universe, then what will? How many times are they going to try and launch it? How many failures will they endure?

If they can't make The Mummy work, then Bride of Frankenstein is absolutely fucked. At least The Mummy is kind of a proven IP. Has there even been a successful Frankenstein adaptation in the last 50 years?
*ahem* Well..
No, Young Frankenstein does not count.
Of course not.

Seriously, though, I'm gonna keep banging that Dracula Untold drum. It also got crap reviews add bombed domestically, but that thing at least turned out a profit WW for something made for only $70 mil. Should've kept with it, Universal.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I saw WW last night. Lots of word of mouth girl groups. Pretty good superhero movie that absolutely embarrasses Suicide and BvS.

I wish they had either done more with or not so clumsily telegraphed the
Thewlis
and also his stated motivation didn't really make sense.

Dinda

The next X-men film is titled Dark Phoenix, right? That could be heavily Jean Grey focused.

Oh i dind't know about Dark Phoenix, interesting. I hope Singer is off for the next X-Men Movies.

This is something I feel like WB should swoop in on and build up. Marvel can't react for a while since everything is planned and Capt Marvel is still 2 years out.

WB with Bat Girl with Whedon should be in good hands, but dump Ayer on Sirens and get another female director attached to lead.

I'm not a Comic Book fan, but from what i know DC definitely has the best Female Heroes.

As for Harley, i actually haven't watched Suicide Squad, so i have no idea how it was handled in that movie, but she seems like a great character for a real Antihero who i think could easily carry a solo movie. Guess we will find out in Sirens.

Penguin

Yup

WB show up at SDCC with Jenkins back for WW 2, a director/release date for Sirens, concept art for Batgirl and maybe tease Squad 2

Curve out their own niche

GhaleonEB

Pretty amazing WW came close to Deadline's pie in the sky $60m second weekend. It might get closer still, since they have a 30% drop for today, which might be high given the word of mouth on it.

Really glad to see.

It's cause it's one of the lowest (if not the lowest) opening weekends on that list. Like Batman Begins would be #2 on that list if included, as it fell 43.4% on its second weekend of a $49m ow.

Spider-man is the real #1 winner though...fell 37.8% off a $115m ow. And SM2 doesn't really count as it opened on a Wed.

Oh I know. I just find the optics of it funny. "Best hold since Thor!" is quite the back-of-the-DVD quote.

So in addition to the last two solo Batman films making *significantly* more domestically than BvS, Wonder Woman's first solo film is almost guaranteed to come out on top as well.

BvS isn't even less than the sum of its parts. It's literally less than individual parts.

Buckle

Look at the gams on WW!

*wolf whistle at box office numbers*

Don't have expectations that it will but god I would love for it to beat BVS. Just really grind it's heel in it's face.

Toxi

Banned
So in addition to the last two solo Batman films making *significantly* more domestically than BvS, Wonder Woman's first solo film is almost guaranteed to come out on top as well.
Wonder Woman going over Batman v Superman's domestic total seems incredibly unlikely to me. Even if Wonder Woman continued with good holds, that's another 125 million. By Batman v Superman's 2nd weekend, it had 260 million, vs Wonder woman's 205 million total.

EDIT: Although I probably shouldn't be making predictions, given I'm terrible at the box office game.

kswiston

Wonder Woman going over Batman v Superman's domestic total seems incredibly unlikely to me. Even if Wonder Woman continued with good holds, that's another 125 million.

My post on this from the last thread:

Slightly optimistic but realistic path for Wonder Woman

First weekend: $103M
First set of weekdays: $45M

Second Weekend: $57M (-45%)
Second set of weekdays: $25M (-44%)

Third Weekend: $34M (-40%)
Third set of weekdays: $14M (-44%. Lower drops during the start of the week. but Transformers 5 launches Wednesday)

Total after 3 weeks = 148 + 82 + 48 = $278M

With 45% drops in the following 3 weeks (weeks 4-6), you get another $48.5M, for $326M total. Maybe another $20M or so for the rest of its run.

With 50% drops in the following 3 weeks (weeks 4-6), you get another $42M, for a total of $320M. Rest of run from that would be $15-20.

Either way, I think that BvS is done unless WW gets hit harder than expected next weekend or the one after. $320M is probably the floor

Wonder Woman going over Batman v Superman's domestic total seems incredibly unlikely to me. Even if Wonder Woman continued with good holds, that's another 125 million.

Nah, read this

Third set of weekdays: $14M (-44%. Lower drops during the start of the week. but Transformers 5 launches Wednesday)

With 45% drops in the following 3 weeks (weeks 4-6), you get another $48.5M, for $326M total. Maybe another $20M or so for the rest of its run.

With 50% drops in the following 3 weeks (weeks 4-6), you get another $42M, for a total of $320M. Rest of run from that would be $15-20.

Either way, I think that BvS is done unless WW gets hit harder than expected next weekend or the one after. $320M is probably the floor

Its looking very doable

Toxi

Banned

Damn, this is why I love these threads.

yuraya

So how bad is The Mummy really?

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back had pretty bad reviews as well but I still enjoyed it. Cruise movies are almost always decent imo.

Toa TAK

Banned
So how bad is The Mummy really?

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back had pretty bad reviews as well but I still enjoyed it. Cruise movies are almost always decent imo.
Man if you enjoyed that, I'm sure you'll find something in The Mummy to like.

Top Bottom