• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•09-11•17 - Wonder Woman deflects competition, Cruise cries for his Mummy

BumRush

My post on this from the last thread:

Slightly optimistic but realistic path for Wonder Woman

First weekend: $103M
First set of weekdays: $45M

Second Weekend: $57M (-45%)
Second set of weekdays: $25M (-44%)

Third Weekend: $34M (-40%)
Third set of weekdays: $14M (-44%. Lower drops during the start of the week. but Transformers 5 launches Wednesday)

Total after 3 weeks = 148 + 82 + 48 = $278M

With 45% drops in the following 3 weeks (weeks 4-6), you get another $48.5M, for $326M total. Maybe another $20M or so for the rest of its run.

With 50% drops in the following 3 weeks (weeks 4-6), you get another $42M, for a total of $320M. Rest of run from that would be $15-20.

Either way, I think that BvS is done unless WW gets hit harder than expected next weekend or the one after. $320M is probably the floor

You're way too good to not do this for a living man. Get paid for it!

My post on this from the last thread:

Slightly optimistic but realistic path for Wonder Woman

First weekend: $103M
First set of weekdays: $45M

Second Weekend: $57M (-45%)
Second set of weekdays: $25M (-44%)

Third Weekend: $34M (-40%)
Third set of weekdays: $14M (-44%. Lower drops during the start of the week. but Transformers 5 launches Wednesday)

Total after 3 weeks = 148 + 82 + 48 = $278M

With 45% drops in the following 3 weeks (weeks 4-6), you get another $48.5M, for $326M total. Maybe another $20M or so for the rest of its run.

With 50% drops in the following 3 weeks (weeks 4-6), you get another $42M, for a total of $320M. Rest of run from that would be $15-20.

Either way, I think that BvS is done unless WW gets hit harder than expected next weekend or the one after. $320M is probably the floor
The movie needs $330M to surpass BvS domestically, yes?

Mrbob

Wow only a 45% drop for WW? It's going over 300 million. Damn good hold.

Wonder if the actual will be higher. Box office mojo is predicting a 30 percent drop from Saturday to Sunday in this projection and I think that is too steep.

Also Mummy ended up higher than I expected. Thinking it would be mid 20s. Dark Universe is here to stay with the overseas numbers included, cruise missile has been activated.

If this doesn't kill the Dark Universe, then what will? How many times are they going to try and launch it? How many failures will they endure?

If they can't make The Mummy work, then Bride of Frankenstein is absolutely fucked. At least The Mummy is kind of a proven IP. Has there even been a successful Frankenstein adaptation in the last 50 years? No, Young Frankenstein does not count.

Internationally it sounds like The Mummy is doing real good so far. Cruise missile power overseas

For how much less was WW made versus BvS budget? WW might not beat BvS in worldwide box office but it might end up being way more profitable for WB, right?

Fantastic hold for Wonder Woman. Let's see how well she fends off the competition in the next couple of weeks.

And from last thread:
I'm calling it, JL is beating Avengers box office.

Not by a lot, but it's topping it. And they're going to market the shit out of WW to do it. Advertising already suggests her and Bruce are the two leads as it is.

Long as they keep to Gal's strengths and have a similar heroic tint, it's gonna be huge.

I will make an avatar bet with you that JL doesn't beat Avengers worldwide total. It will be fun.

kswiston

For how much less was WW made versus BvS budget? WW might not beat BvS in worldwide box office but it might end up being way more profitable for WB, right?

Reported budgets were $250M for BvS and $150M for Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman might end up making a bit more than BvS domestically, but it will end its worldwide run close to $200M behind BvS. I don't know if that is enough to offset the extra budget when you factor in the ancillary stuff.

I think that Suicide Squad will remain the most profitable DCEU film for now.

The movie needs $330M to surpass BvS domestically, yes?

Yes.

Toxi

Banned
A solo Wonder Woman movie will easily be clearing a solo Superman movie's domestic total and will likely be clearing a Superman and Batman movie's domestic total.

Damn. Wondy making bank.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Fantastic hold for Wonder Woman. Let's see how well she fends off the competition in the next couple of weeks.

And from last thread:

I will make an avatar bet with you that JL doesn't beat Avengers worldwide total. It will be fun.

gal-gadot-wonder-woman-movie-2.jpg

Internal Junkie XL theme intensifies.

Challenge accepted!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Thats some low key sexist shit, fam.

I don't agree. anecdotally my wife and her friend asked me and a colleague to go see it because they heard "it's for women as well as about women." and the audience last night was about two thirds ladies- Cinerama in Seattle-- which is a hell of an outlier for week 2 of a superhero movie.

I certainly don't think it's as simple as "princess movie" but even ignoring the fact that she's an actual princess, there's strong messages for girl and female empowerment. So the analogy is direct and easy to draw.

And further, boy superhero movies often feature princess movie themes and structure.

Discover power in obscurity and use it for good to pass your own moral test and emerge fully formed from that test.

I'll allow it!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So how bad is The Mummy really?

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back had pretty bad reviews as well but I still enjoyed it. Cruise movies are almost always decent imo.

It's incredibly mediocre. I actually did like Cruise in it, so you might enjoy it if you're a big fan of his. It isn't Suicide Squad levels of dumpster fire. You can just tell that the studio played around with the script a lot. The titular Mummy is an afterthought and the movie hits the brakes on the story to setup THE DARK UNIVERSE for a good chunk of the runtime. That plus the tonal whiplash and it's a hard movie to like. I'll probably forget everything about it in a few days, honestly.

If this doesn't kill the Dark Universe, then what will? How many times are they going to try and launch it? How many failures will they endure?

If they can't make The Mummy work, then Bride of Frankenstein is absolutely fucked. At least The Mummy is kind of a proven IP. Has there even been a successful Frankenstein adaptation in the last 50 years? No, Young Frankenstein does not count.

Given the worldwide summon and its relatively low budget, The Mummy probably wont end up being a failure. Dark Universe lives, it seems.

Wonder Woman is kicking Cap and Thors asses and is going for Iron Man and Superman A-list status? Thats amazing

In the Dark Universe, at least the next film has a real artist behind the camera. Who's bright idea was it go give a first-time director the headliner for a cinematic universe anyways?

Unless Cruise is going to be in subsequent films, then they're just building a house of cards though.

The other movies have to stand on their own, no different with how Wonder Woman is doing amazing despite the lackluster other movies in the cinematic universe of DC.

It's all money, if this makes money, they are not gonna abandon the Dark Universe just yet because of mediocre domestic performance.

kswiston

Wonder Woman is kicking Cap and Thors asses and is going for Iron Man and Superman A-list status? Thats amazing

Overseas audiences are still Marvel fanboys and girls. Wonder Woman might edge out Ant-Man, but that's probably about it unless you go back to the pre-Avengers films before Asia and Latin America blew up.

Glad to see The Mummy not doing well. Not the direction I want to see these monster movies go in, and the story/characters were so damn empty. Just completely bland all around.

In the Dark Universe, at least the next film has a real artist behind the camera. Who's bright idea was it go give a first-time director the headliner for a cinematic universe anyways?
We tend to forget but before his first films Iron Man wasn't considered to be anywhere close to A-list status. He was C-tier at best! What a successful movie can make to a superhero' notoriety can't be understated. So imagine what could happen to WW after this!

Sesha

Break the chains on female superhero movies. Get fucked Ike Perlmutter and whoever at WB okayed Jonah Hex and a $200m Green Lantern film before Wonder Woman.

A solo Wonder Woman movie will easily be clearing a solo Superman movie's domestic total and will likely be clearing a Superman and Batman movie's domestic total.

Damn. Wondy making bank.

66b091119e049868bd656c7534adae5b.jpg

kswiston

The Mummy is a good candidate for a drop approaching 90% in China next weekend. Holds this weekend have been terrible. WoM is terrible. Alien Covenant will also steal some business next weekend. It might not hit $75M in China, despite the $52M opening.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Awesome. I lost the Divergent vs ID4R bet horribly, but got a good feeling about this one.
Loser has avatar of winners choice for one month sound fair?

Of course.

Oh I cannot wait to make you have Savitar from Flash S3 for a month.

And speaking of Tobin Bell, anyone know when Saw 907 is coming out? I'm aiming to start a campaign to get it to no 1 at the UK box office.

ZeoVGM

Banned

The worldwide numbers might be good enough for them to just continue with their current plans.

wachie

From twitter, only films since MCU

DCC_eqKVwAAULpT.jpg:large
What makes this even more impressive is that Thor and Strange were winter releases so their soft drops are expected. WW topping them in summer makes it even more impressive.

I totally slept on the potential of this (WW) movie, the trailers never grabbed me.

The Mummy is a good candidate for a drop approaching 90% in China next weekend. Holds this weekend have been terrible. WoM is terrible. Alien Covenant will also steal some business next weekend. It might not hit $75M in China, despite the $52M opening.
What movie is WoM?

kswiston

More Worldwide Updates:

Guardians of the Galaxy - $833M
Logan - $616M
Baywatch - $98M
Dangal - $263M (mostly China)
Alien: Covenant - $182M
Beauty and the Beast - $1.248B
The Boss Baby - $488M

Of course.

Oh I cannot wait to make you have Savitar from Flash S3 for a month.

And speaking of Tobin Bell, anyone know when Saw 907 is coming out? I'm aiming to start a campaign to get it to no 1 at the UK box office.

I think that you are much more likely to get stuck with Howard the Duck or something. You do know that BvS + Wonder Woman's eventual total combined aren't all that far above what The Avengers grossed right?

This strikes me as about as likely as a bet that Fate of the Furious would outgross The Last Jedi worldwide this year.

What makes this even more impressive is that Thor and Strange were winter releases so their soft drops are expected. WW topping them in summer makes it even more impressive.

I totally slept on the potential of this (WW) movie, the trailers never grabbed me.

The first Thor kicked off the summer season in the first week of May, 2011.

What movie is WoM?

WoM = Word of Mouth

Toa TAK

Banned
Wow @ Alien. That's all it could muster?

Perhaps when making a mummy movie, the mummy doesn't need to be hot.
Honestly, the design of the Mummy herself is pretty cool. It's just the character itself that's utterly wasted. Fuckin Imhotep had a better motivation than that.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oh, kswiston linked to DeathyBoy's post about JL beating Avengers and I replied to it, thinking it was a post in this thread, bumping last week's thread instead. Oops.

But yeah, there is no chance that JL beats Avengers. None.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Oh, kswiston linked to DeathyBoy's post about JL beating Avengers and I replied to it, thinking it was a post in this thread, bumping last week's thread instead. Oops.

But yeah, there is no chance that JL beats Avengers. None.

Oh, you wanna have a Savitar avatar for a month too. He's the future, Flash.

Abounder

Banned
WW with the amazing drop. So glad to see a female led action franchise kicking ass in the industry especially after shitfests like Catwoman. Studios take way too goddamn long to take these 'risks', for example it'll be 17x MCU movies before we see Captain Marvel headline her own film

kswiston

Bar graphs that don't start at 0 are one of my pet peeves. That info would have been easier to interpret in a chart.

What are the WW numbers looking for wonder woman? Does it cross 600 million?

Yes. I would guess $650-700M depending on legs overseas and how it fairs in the few markets left to launch.

El Topo

WW with the amazing drop. So glad to see a female led action franchise kicking ass in the industry especially after shitfests like Catwoman. Studios take way too goddamn long to take these 'risks', for example it'll be 17x MCU movies before we see Captain Marvel headline her own film

You got that wrong. It'll have been 20 movies and 11 years.

Litan

Can someone very simply explain this whole exchange rates thing to me? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to all this economic market stuff.

Top Bottom