• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

kswiston

I saw someone else on gaf say it, but Valerian comes across as some type of money laundering scheme lol.

Slayven says that about various films.

Valerian strikes me as what it actually is though. Besson blowing all the clout he had on a super expensive dream project. Now that it failed, he's probably back to Lucy budgets for the rest of his career.

hoos30

So may have missed it, but for the success of Girl's Trip, has anyone in this thread seen it yet? How is it?

From BoxOfficeMojo:

The female-led R-rated comedy stars Regina Hall, Tiffany Haddish, Jada Pinkett Smith and Queen Latifah and received a rare "A+" CinemaScore from opening day audiences, suggesting a long run throughout the rest of the summer is in the offing. The opening is ~$7 million more than last year's Bad Moms, which went on to gross over $113 million domestically after a $23.8 million opening weekend.

Slayven

Pachimari

Has anyone seen a movie called Tulip Fever yet? We're showing it here in Stockholm at our cinema but I haven't seen it yet and I'm unsure if it has opened in the rest of the world.

Stars Alicia Vikander, Dane DeHaan, Zach Galifianakis, Judi Dench, Christoph Waltz and Cara Delevingne.
I had my eyes on this one as I noticed it's premiering here soon in Denmark too. Might check it out.

DMczaf

Bronson was the kid with a bunch of these for N64 multiplayer

dRMHFB9.jpg

Have you seen Tangled? It looks amazing. It also had a troubled production that stretched out for years. The directors were changed twice.

What? No. You're imagining things. Glen Keane originally wanted it to be traditionally animated, but Disney never went for that.

Derp. My bad. I thought they had already completed a good chunk of the film before converting over. Thanks for the clarification.

kitzkozan

IMO trailer views aren't really a good indication of Box office.

Thor: Ragnarok teaser trailer: 41 781 000 views

Star Wars: The Last Jedi teaser trailer: 37 550 000 views

Thor was released 4 days earlier, but both around the same time. This is probably what pushed some people on GAF to think Ragnarok was going to gross over 1 billion right?

zero_suit

Thor: Ragnarok teaser trailer: 41 781 000 views

Star Wars: The Last Jedi teaser trailer: 37 550 000 views

Thor was released 4 days earlier, but both around the same time. This is probably what pushed some people on GAF to think Ragnarok was going to gross over 1 billion right?

They are delusional.

If, and that is a BIG IF, Ragnarok breaks $1b (or even just outgrosses the other comic films this year), can we just assume that Mark Ruffalo is the secret sauce to Marvel films blowing up at the box office?

Avengers, Age of Ultron, and Iron Man 3 are the kings of that heap. All feature Ruffalo. And we are seeing now with Spider-Man that RDJ isn't the $1b guarantee we thought he was, even if Civil War did break that mark.

If, and that is a BIG IF, Ragnarok breaks $1b (or even just outgrosses the other comic films this year), can we just assume that Mark Ruffalo is the secret sauce to Marvel films blowing up at the box office?

Avengers, Age of Ultron, and Iron Man 3 are the kings of that heap. All feature Ruffalo. And we are seeing now with Spider-Man that RDJ isn't the $1b guarantee we thought he was, even if Civil War did break that mark.
I really can't tell if you're joking.

You'd be surprised to learn how many rewatch trailers to listen to the music. Even nearly a year later, that Bohemian Rhapsody Suicide Squad trailer is getting tons of views.

GhaleonEB

Same here. Luckily, it's not just visual.

I'm with you on John Carter, which was unfairly maligned. But boy, the script in Valerian was awful. I hated the titular character from the get-go, who was written and played as an utter douchebag, which only made how his co-star was forced to swoon for him the entire film that much more unbearable. I also didn't appreciate how the middle act was devoted to Valerian rescuing her because she touched teh pretty butterfly and then got stuffed into a sexy dress and had to sit back and watch while getting rescued. It actually made me pretty angry. Shockingly out of touch script.

(I watched this with my high-school aged daughter and that did not go over well.)

Or the part at the end where Valerian punches the Commander in the face, knocking him out cold, and then tells Laureline, who is trying to do the right thing, that he can't do the right thing because he's a "soldier who follows orders" to manufacture a false crisis. Like punching your Commander in the face 2 minutes earlier is following orders.

berzeli

Banned
So Valerian is fucked.
The disastrous opening weekend in the U.S. of Luc Besson’s “Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets” has left EuropaCorp with a hangover, as the Paris-based company saw its stock value drop by 8.31% by the close of trading on Monday.
Believed to be the most expensive independent movie of all time with a budget of $180 million*, “Valerian” grossed just $17 million from 3,553 theaters and landed in fifth place
Although EuropaCorp has a limited risk on “Valerian” – about 90% of the film’s budget was financed with pre-sales and equity investment, Besson says – it desperately needs the film to be hit as the company just posted record losses of 119.9 million euros ($135 million) for the fiscal year ending March 31.
“Valerian” has to make $400 million worldwide to help EuropaCorp climb into the black and justify a sequel, according to several financial analysts, including Pavel Govciyan, an analyst at Natixis.

*Well this is a new number. No idea where they pulled it from, I thought the generally accepted figure was 197 million € which someone mangled in the currency converter to be 209 million $. Maybe with tax credits?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Avator nor Suicide Squad was over 300 million, although I remember all the rumors about Avatar being way over.

Pirates of the Caribbean At World's End and On Stranger Tides production budgets were at or over 300 million dollars.
Avatar is #1. If Avatar were within the $300 million range, we'd see CGI spectacles on that level from every studio, every year. But we haven't seen a single one in the nearly 10 years since Avatar was released.

Avatar is #1. If Avatar were within the $300 million range, we'd see CGI spectacles on that level from every studio, every year. But we haven't seen a single one in the nearly 10 years since Avatar was released.
But not everyone can use CGI as effectively as Cameron. His movies are expensive, but you see every penny on screen.

Source?

http://www.thewrap.com/avatars-true-cost-and-consequences-11206/

And despite claims that the production and marketing costs of “Avatar” have sailed north of half a billion dollars, Fox insists that the math is fuzzy.

The budget for “Avatar,” a Fox spokesperson bluntly told TheWrap this week, “is $237 million, with $150 million for promotion, end of story.”

AndyVirus

That's because Avatar 2 is taking 10 years to make :p

Most films have deadlines, Cameron seems to be able to take as long as he wants to perfect the CGI.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
There's absolutely no reason for a studio with shareholders to want to hide having bankrolled the most expensive movie ever, no sir.

Busty summed it up better than I could.

There was a reason for various trades to report the budget was way over $300 million before the release, but Fox adamantly insist on that $237 million figure. Maybe it's what they paid, not including the other investors.

There's absolutely no reason for a studio with shareholders to want to hide having bankrolled the most expensive movie ever, no sir.

Busty summed it up better than I could.

There was a reason for various trades to report the budget was way over $300 million before the release, but Fox adamantly insist on that $237 million figure. Maybe it's what they paid, not including the other investors.

Yes, but you go by their number for their production budget. His whole post is speculation.

Top Bottom