• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Pirates of the Carribean (forgot which ones but they're some of the most expensive movies ever made). Avatar's actual budget is rumored to be up there too.

And obviously, Suicide Squad.

Avator nor Suicide Squad was over 300 million, although I remember all the rumors about Avatar being way over.

Pirates of the Caribbean At World's End and On Stranger Tides production budgets were at or over 300 million dollars.

If we're activating Tangled Rules where reboots/pre-production starts and stops count, then Fury Road and Superman Returns are probably 1-2

The reported budget for Superman Returns did include all the false starts though. I am not sure about Fury Road, but that I thought was just Miller refining the script/storyboards for years and not actually starting production.

EDIT: Looked closer at their Superman Returns number. Yeah, they are not using the right one. Box Office Mojo is listing the $270m budget that has been floating around for years. IMDB list is saying only $209m.

How in gods name do you spend $280 million on Tangled?

They gave Cameron $300 million to make a retelling of a historic event! Damn.

This list upsets me
http://www.imdb.com/poll/OX1iaj_x-q4/

Obviously I can't vouch for its accuracy.

Wasn't it rumored that Terminator 3 ended up having a budget north of 300 mil? I might be misremembering.

Lol at Amazing Spider-Man though. But in its defense, the movie did look quite good.

flkraven

All this negative talk about Spiderman HC numbers has me confused. Didn't it have a smaller budget than both Amazing movies, and isn't it on pace to pass them both domestically?

edit: Also, it hasn't come out in China yet, right?

Pachimari

These BO threads goes crazily fast. I'm already behind 10 pages when I start dipping my nose in here.

Can Spider-Man: Homecoming reach $300m in the US?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
These BO threads goes crazily fast. I'm already behind 10 pages when I start dipping my nose in here.

Can Spider-Man: Homecoming reach $300m in the US?

Of course it will. Sony had Spectre in theaters for like 2 extra months trying to go from $199m to $200m, they aren't going to allow Spidey to miss to $300m.

I didn't realize how consistent Nolan's film schedule is. You could probably expect an announcement of his next film next year.

It's honestly one of my favorite things about him.

I think there is tendency after finishing major productions/mega successes to take an extra long time before moving on to your next project. Whether it's burnout or just fear of not being able to top your last outing. Hell it's been 18 months since TFA and is JJ Abrams even attached to anything as a potential director yet?

But Nolan is just constantly working, moving from mounting one major production into another. And considering he is involved on the writing end too that means he pretty much never takes a break. I expect he is probably gearing up to start writing his next pic already and could be shooting this time next year.

tejy5lM.gif

He looked like he was always on the verge of a panic attack in the Hobbit behind the scenes stuff.

Yeah I don't see him directing anything for a while.

Directing PTSD right there.

The way Marvel is treating Spider-Man is just embarrassing. It's by far their biggest character and the only one who can compete with Superman and Batman yet they're treating him like some B-tier who needs RDJ to be relevant.

I mean at this point into the MCU there weren't many ways to introduce him but it certainly could've been better.

Old Spider-Man Tobey was the only way

...what?

Busty

Banned

jett

D-Member
How in gods name do you spend $280 million on Tangled?
Have you seen Tangled? It looks amazing. It also had a troubled production that stretched out for years. The directors were changed twice.

When you all but complete the film in 2D, then go back and redo the entire thing in 3D CGI.

What? No. You're imagining things. Glen Keane originally wanted it to be traditionally animated, but Disney never went for that.

Glen Keane originally wanted the film to be animated using a traditional 2D animation process. However, Disney executives David Stainton and Dick Cook announced that they would only approve the film for production if it were created using the 3D computer graphics.[37] In response to that demand, Glen Keane held a seminar called "The Best of Both Worlds", where he, with 50 Disney CGI artists and traditional artists, focused on the pros and cons of each style.[38] After the meeting, it was decided that the film would be made in 3D CG animation, but in a way as to become an extension of the traditional 2D Disney "aesthetic", a term which referred to the naturalistic animation that conforms to the fundamental principles of animation as documented by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston in the book The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation.

LionPride

Banned
The way Marvel is treating Spider-Man is just embarrassing. It's by far their biggest character and the only one who can compete with Superman and Batman yet they're treating him like some B-tier who needs RDJ to be relevant.

I mean at this point into the MCU there weren't many ways to introduce him but it certainly could've been better.

Old Spider-Man Tobey was the only way
And this is why we don't share every idea that comes to mind

inky

Jackson got the short end of the stick when Del Toro bailed at the last second to go make another movie and then promptly didn't make another movie.

He didn't bail to go make another movie. He bailed because after 2 1/2 years of pre-production the movie was still tangled in some legal issues so it was going to be at least another 9 months to start full on production, plus he was also getting a lot of pushback on his ideas because people involved wanted Peter Jackson's universe to remain intact. In the end the thing I guess was he didn't want to spend 6+ years in NZ away from his family.

When he left he pushed hard for Mountains to keep busy, got James Cameron to produce and Tom Cruise on board, and the movie was greenlit and then cancelled 3 weeks before production was set to start. And Universal went ahead with Cruise and the Dark Universe instead :thinking emoji:

They both got the shortest end of the stick on that one.

What? No. You're imagining things. Glen Keane originally wanted it to be traditionally animated, but Disney never went for that.
So Tangled basically laid out the foundation for Disney 3D animation resulting in movies like Moana and Frozen. They look impressive animation wise and follow an aesthetic that closely matches the trademark Disney animation, I guess.

At the end of the day, seems like it was worth it after all.

Of course it will. Sony had Spectre in theaters for like 2 extra months trying to go from $199m to $200m, they aren't going to allow Spidey to miss to $300m.

Ha! I completely forgot about this, but you're absolutely right.

They just left that corpse in the road until it drew juuuuuuust enough flies.

Jeesh. That bad, huh?

Not at all. John Carter is great though (see nickname), but Valerian is a very different film and it's excellent too. John Carter wins by a landslide in the acting, chemistry and romance departments, but then Valerian wins by a landslide in the creativity and imagination department. I'm not surprised that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's absolutely not a bad film, unless you hate imagination.

Mrbob

DM, you win this round. Saw Dunkirk yesterday and thought it was really good. Now I want a 4k hdr version to watch at home.

BumRush

Not at all. John Carter is great though (see nickname), but Valerian is a very different film and it's excellent too. John Carter wins by a landslide in the acting, chemistry and romance departments, but then Valerian wins by a landslide in the creativity and imagination department. I'm not surprised that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's absolutely not a bad film, unless you hate imagination.

Man, I might have to watch JC again, but I really wouldn't call it "great". Haha you seem a bit biased though :p

GhaleonEB

For me, a rich visual imagination just doesn't cut it. There needs to be a solid underlying foundation of a good movie, and Valerian is just lacking everything in that department. (It's also a ridiculously sexist film, but that's another issue.)

Armond White Valerian's review is delicious

Imagine Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, etc. rolled up in one but corralled by a good director

Besson has acknowledged the technical breakthrough of James Cameron's Avatar but supersedes it through editing wit (not just speed) and Frenchness

Frenchness baby.

kswiston

So may have missed it, but for the success of Girl's Trip, has anyone in this thread seen it yet? How is it?

Box Office Mojo reported that the audience for Girls Trip was close to 80% female. Most of us are not really the target audience.

Along those lines, Hollywood Reporter shared exit polls this morning suggesting that only 51% of the audience was African American and that 34% were white. Best Man's Holiday's audience was 85% black on opening weekend, so this film is getting a lot more crossover.

If the audience was over 30% white, that means that more white women went to go see Girls Trip than Rough Night. It looks like quality wins.

Has anyone seen a movie called Tulip Fever yet? We're showing it here in Stockholm at our cinema but I haven't seen it yet and I'm unsure if it has opened in the rest of the world.

Stars Alicia Vikander, Dane DeHaan, Zach Galifianakis, Judi Dench, Christoph Waltz and Cara Delevingne.

kswiston

Has anyone seen a movie called Tulip Fever yet? We're showing it here in Stockholm at our cinema but I haven't seen it yet and I'm unsure if it has opened in the rest of the world.

Stars Alicia Vikander, Dane DeHaan, Zach Galifianakis, Judi Dench, Christoph Waltz and Cara Delevingne.

It comes out in late August in North America.

Lima

I'm seeing it tonight. Cast is pretty dope.

Lima

Tell us what you think later. The fact Cara and Dane are both in it and Valerian amuses me.

I think it's the movie for which Cara shaved her head right? Good thing I don't like short hair on women that much. Not sure if I would be able to handle the cuteness overload of Cara and Alicia in the same movie.

Edit: seems like that was for another movie of her. Damn she working.

kswiston

2 I'd say. I'm looking at maybe weekend after next.

A bit longer than that, I'd guess.

With 30% drops:

Code:
			Gross		Domestic Total
Mon-Thurs this week 	$2.65M		$391.7M
Weekend #9 (Jul 28-30)	$3.25M		$394.95M
Mon-Thurs next week	$1.85M		$396.8M
Weekend #10		$2.30M		$399.1M

It will need drops of around 25% in the next two weeks to hit $400M by weekend #10.

Top Bottom