• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Enjoy the 3 year window.

giphy.mp4

I haven't cared about 3D at all and I really just want to die at this point. Aside from "the most expensive movie ever made" no movie has been particularly worth seeing in 3D over the 2D we're all used to. Also I personally can't endure wearing the glasses more than say 20 minutes at a time max, so I'm way in favor of that shit just dying off quick.

kswiston

The Emoji movie is getting 4,074 venues this weekend. Deadline is saying that Sony paid out $50M for the film after the Canadian government gave them some tax rebates to make a cartoon featuring talking poop. Deadline is expecting an opening in the $20M range, which wouldn't be the end of the world on that budget.

They have Atomic Blonde between $17M and "Low 20s" for the weekend. The budget was apparently over $30M.

If neither of those exceed expectations, Dunkirk might come out on top for a second weekend.

DMczaf

The Emoji movie is getting 4,074 venues this weekend. Deadline is saying that Sony paid out $50M for the film after the Canadian government gave them some tax rebates to make a cartoon featuring talking poop. Deadline is expecting an opening in the $20M range, which wouldn't be the end of the world on that budget.

They have Atomic Blonde between $17M and "Low 20s" for the weekend. The budget was apparently over $30M.

If neither of those exceed expectations, Dunkirk might come out on top for a second weekend.

Nolannnnnnnnnnnn!!!

I did this once in a Star Wars thread and like 15 people took it seriously. They came at me with soap in socks for like a day straight.

I still have miles ago before I make it to Bronsonia

My brand is too strong Bobby

And Star Wars just sucks too much for their fanbase to have any effect on me

You just need to put on some cheesesteak pounds.

I don't eat that goddamn filth, I am a fit n trim fellow

kswiston

I did this once in a Star Wars thread and like 15 people took it seriously. They came at me with soap in socks for like a day straight.

I still have miles ago before I make it to Bronsonia

RABBIT REMEMBERS

I saw your name and photo randomly invoked in the OP of an account suicide thread on here once. It might have even been during one of your forum breaks. That guy must have been your Frank Grimes.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Went to Dunkirk tonight. Full House. Older audience for sure. It's going to have bonkers legs.

It did not like the film very much.

It felt too much like I was watching a movie and felt zero emotional connection to any of it. Humans talk more than they do in this movie. My emotional connection was supposed to be
care about this random guy because we focused the camera on him. He has no real personality traits to speak of other than wanting to go home
It felt like I was watching someone who watched the Duel and then wanted to make it a war movie instead of a car chase.

It was expertly shot. The acting was good.

It relied on
timeline fuckery to try and derive any sort of emotional moments in the movie. Like "OH THAT WAS THAT BOAT!!!!!!!!" But then the movie doesn't ask me to identify with any of the soldiers on a personal level so I don't know why I care about this or that specific character being on a particular boat or not

I will give it credit for not being the sort of historical movie that doesn't try and act like I know nothing about the event or take excessive liberties for emotional heft.

kswiston

Went to Dunkirk tonight. Full House. Older audience for sure.

It did not like the film very much.

It felt too much like I was watching a movie and felt zero emotional connection to any of it. Humans talk more than they do in this movie. It felt like I was watching someone who watched the Duel and then wanted to make it a war movie instead of a car chase.

It was expertly shot. The acting was good.

It relied on
timeline fuckery to try and derive any sort of emotional moments in the movie

I will give it credit for not being the sort of historical movie that doesn't try and act like I know nothing about the event or take excessive liberties for emotional heft.

I think that the point of Dunkirk was to imagine yourself in the presented scenarios. The characters being pretty sparse on characterization facilitates this. I sort of knew this going into the film, so I really liked it. I can see why people left disappointed if they went in for a war drama though.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think that the point of Dunkirk was to imagine yourself in the presented scenarios. The characters being pretty sparse on characterization facilitates this. I sort of knew this going into the film, so I really liked it. I can see why people left disappointed if they went in for a war drama though.

Yeah, that's why I compared it to the duel which is a horror car chase movie that asks the same of the audience but is more suspenseful and makes me feel more like someone in that position.

I saw your name and photo randomly invoked in the OP of an account suicide thread on here once. It might have even been during one of your forum breaks. That guy must have been your Frank Grimes.

I learned very recently that Frank has cloned himself and there's like, 10 of those fuckers just waiting.

re: Dunkirk - it's definitely a film that rewards projecting yourself onto the myriad blank slates dropped into those situations.

(also: "Tell that to Kanjiklub" guy is in there!)

kswiston

Yeah, that's why I compared it to the duel which is a horror car chase movie that asks the same of the audience but is more suspenseful and makes me feel more like someone in that position.

I have never seen Duel, so I wasn't sure. I have seen all of Spielberg's directing efforts between Jaws and Indy 4 (except for Amistad), but his earliest and latest stuff (save Lincoln) is in my backlog.

EDIT: Actually, I skipped over 1941 as well.

Davide

I just realized Suicide Squad will have made more money than Spider-Man.

And won more Oscars.

Edit: I guess there's a chance it will beat it actually.

kswiston

I just realized Suicide Squad will have made more money than Spider-Man.

And won more Oscars.

Spider-man Homecoming has actually been catching up to Suicide Squad in the last few days, so that's not a given yet. The gap between the two was $13.5M last Tuesday. As of this Tuesday, the gap is less than $8M, with Spider-Man set to make up over $1M each week day this week.

A lot of it will depend on this weekend's hold. Suicide Squad had a holiday in weekend #5.

Spider-man Homecoming has actually been catching up to Suicide Squad in the last few days, so that's not a given yet. The gap between the two was $13.5M last Tuesday. As of this Tuesday, the gap is less than $8M, with Spider-Man set to make up over $1M each week day this week.

A lot of it will depend on this weekend's hold. Suicide Squad had a holiday in weekend #5.
Suicide Squad will always have that Oscar for the zealots to cling to in thinking it was a good film.
That makeup was good in it. But Star Trek shoulda won.

kswiston

The technical awards for this year's Oscars will be pretty easy to predict.

I wonder which film will take home the statue for sound editing...

Imagine if Besson was a writer with actual talent. He might have more amazing films.

He does have talent, but he's never been a great writer. He would need a writing partner to make a great script, but he's definitely a gifted writer in his own right.

Some guy in my Wonder Woman screening decided to Snapchat the movie.

Who's gonna get that Snapchat and go "nice, sweet snap, bro!"?

I don't get it.

The theater owner at the Hollywood preceded the 70mm screening of Dunkirk with acknowledgement that 70mm is cool, and the screenings are awesome, and the presentation is unlike any other in the city.

He then followed that up by letting people know if you take out your phone and take a picture of the fucking screen you're a narcissistic jackass and you're going to get kicked out, and also, you're ruining the experience for yourself and others. So don't.

there was a sustained bit of applause.

The theater owner at the Hollywood preceded the 70mm screening of Dunkirk with acknowledgement that 70mm is cool, and the screenings are awesome, and the presentation is unlike any other in the city.

He then followed that up by letting people know if you take out your phone and take a picture of the fucking screen you're a narcissistic jackass and you're going to get kicked out, and also, you're ruining the experience for yourself and others. So don't.

there was a sustained bit of applause.

I didn't know this was a thing until I saw flashes go off at my showing. Like...why? And not to generalize too much, they were dudes appearing to be in their late 30s/early 40s. Not the stereotypical teens you hear about.

Top Bottom