• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Mediocre

Dare I say, Spider-Man-esque.
Ummm, not sure if you are joking here.

Dunkirk dropping 30% is a better hold than Wonder Woman's first Wednesday, which dropped 35%. Not exactly a comparison here but so is the Spider-Man one.

A better metric is to see what the film will achieve on Friday. If you try to gauge the legs based on the first proper weekend, you couldn't have predicted Wonder Woman being the leggiest movie.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm joking, somewhat.

WW first Wednesday was against the NBA Finals and still had schools in session. Not the fairest comparison.

3N16MA

Banned
Over $5M for Dunkirk is a good sign. This weekend should be over $25M. It probably needs to be closer to $30M for a real shot at $200M though.

The last few days have mimicked Rogue Nation in terms of total gross (drop and gain are different for Monday/Tuesday and similar for Wednesday). RN dropped 48% during it's 2nd weekend (28.5M) and just didn't have the legs for 200M on a slightly bigger opening.

Your 30M number seems like a good target if it wants to keep 200M alive.

kswiston

I'm joking, somewhat.

WW first Wednesday was against the NBA Finals and still had schools in session. Not the fairest comparison.

Schools in session don't mean much since it was in proportion to another weekday. The NBA games did lower things a bit though. Which is why Thursday dropped 2% instead of the usual 7-14%

Lima

Seeing Baby Driver again tonight. Excited as fuck. Bringing a Tinder date who hasn't seen Baby Driver yet but she said she liked the trailer.
If she doesn't like the movie I'm getting outta there fast.

3N16MA

Banned
Seeing Baby Driver again tonight. Excited as fuck. Bringing a Tinder date who hasn't seen Baby Driver yet but she said she liked the trailer.
If she doesn't like the movie I'm getting outta there fast.

Get Valerian tickets as a backup.

BumRush

I'm sure there are a million variables, and it's incredibly difficult to compare them, but it's crazy (and fun) to look at Nolan vs. Cameron.

They both have an incredible amount of creative freedom, they both put their pants on one leg at a time and they both make hit films, but the way they get there has been sooooooooo different.

Nolan is just a coward while Cameron is a true maverick
You gotta have true courage to get 200 million dollars of someone else's money and then ask for 200 more to get a finished product but get it because your movies make 2 billion dollars

51u4UxYOxAL.jpg

I still have these bad boys around the house somewhere.

There are dozens of directors that could get $200M to make a great Bond film.

Nolan is one of the very, very few directors who could make a $200M original picture/start of a new franchise and not have it bomb from the heavens like Valerian. I'd much rather he do that.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Warner Bros treats Nolan like a god. But you know what, he deserves it. He got Batman into the Billion Dollar Club and has become one of the few directors that people will go to the movies just to see his work.

DMczaf

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-dunkirk-nolan-movies-tv-20170724-story.html

Could you see yourself going back to that realm where you’re dealing with a branded property and where the studio is hoping to sell a bunch of toys? Or, having done that, do you feel like you’re now more interested in just doing your own original ideas?

What you’re describing is a very broad category. I mean, absolutely I could see myself going back and doing something where they would make toys. I think they should make some Spitfires — I think those would be great toys. [laughs]

In the broader sense, I wouldn't limit anything for myself. But no, I would not go and do another Batman film, for example. I spent 10 years doing that, and I loved it. But I need to do different things and that world needs new voices — and it’s getting them and that’s great.

To me, it’s all about: Do I get excited about the story? Beyond that, I don’t worry too much about what it is or how it would be perceived. Because the world changes. When I did “Batman Begins,” as you say, the perception of what that meant was very different than what it became later on. That’s part of the fun of doing something unexpected.

Nolan Bond wouldn't get me as excited as Nolan *New thing* but I'm sure it'd be very good, and I'd absolutely watch it opening weekend.

Lots of good directors who can make a fine Bond movie. I don't want to lose out on an original Nolan movie they are pretty unique in the business today, and we have a limited amount of them.

Top Bottom