• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 8•04-06•17 - Man in Black kidnaps #1, Dun' not done son, Woman nears $400m DOM

The most reliable aspect of any Avatar conversation, beside its rapid breakdown into straight up partisan bickering, is that no matter the subject of the conversation, it will become a thread about the film's box-office reciepts in a short amount of time.

Because its earnings are the most remarkable thing about it.

Titanic's most memorable bits:
Jack and Rose in peak Leo heartthrob mode, years removed from stealing everyone's alcohol and pouring it down the sink in Growing Pains

Celine Dion with a song that was so popular she's been coasting on it for 20 years of Las Vegas concerts

Being a disaster movie and a romance movie and somehow nailing both

The 3D
It made all this money
Unobtanium?
That dude fucking a tree

border

I feel your point would probably be better made with something like Hudson Hawk.

I mention Ishtar really only as an analog to Passengers, since they both had two stars that were very high-profile.

Hudson Hawk kinda bombed, but at I don't think Bruce Willis was considered particularly bankable at that point. He only really had Die Hard 1 & 2 under his belt.

Blade Runner works as a better example, since it tanked even with Star Wars and Indiana Jones elevating Harrison Ford's profile significantly. People considered Schwarzenegger bankable in the late 80's and early 90's, but forget about disappointments like Raw Deal, Red Sonja, and Last Action Hero. I'm not sure if there were any actors that could be relied upon to turn a profit every time.....maybe Tom Cruise in his heyday.

Slayven

I have yet to finish Avatar, I always get to the part where they put him in the body and wander off to do something.

But I did watch the Bones tie end episode that had shaggy looking motherfucker from the movie in ijt

So now that the Summer BO season is more or less over, how about we go back and look at this thread?

Man, did we all not expect that Transformers drop. I feel good about getting the top 2 WW correct, though (me and kswis were the only 2 people to do so, I think). And even ignoring the unexpected success of Wonder Woman, the domestic predictions are kind of all over the place with a lot of misses.

I understand the dislike of Avatar's effect on 3D movies more than dislike for the movie itself. The criticism tends to be how it's just Dances with Wolves/Ferngully/Pocahontas and so on.

I also don't get the backlash towards Star Wars TFA, which similarly boils down to "it's just A New Hope!"

The backlash towards TFA is that it's half an interesting movie and half a shit movie

Don't forget the Leona Lewis song. It sounds exactly like they went into it trying to create a "My Heart will Go On" song. I still liked it thought but it definitely didn't do anywhere near as well as they expected especially given the success of the film.

Did she do one?

Jack and Rose in peak Leo heartthrob mode, years removed from stealing everyone's alcohol and pouring it down the sink in Growing Pains

Celine Dion with a song that was so popular she's been coasting on it for 20 years of Las Vegas concerts

The 3D
It made all this money
Unobtanium?
That dude fucking a tree

Don't forget the Leona Lewis song. It sounds exactly like they went into it trying to create a "My Heart will Go On" song. I still liked it but it definitely didn't do anywhere near as well as they expected especially given the success of the film.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Not only is TFA a mediocre remake that shits on three movies worth of characterization for Luke, Han, and Leia, but George Lucas would agree with me as well.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Not even $20m? Damn.

The studio projected $19m for the weekend, so good enough start. They already issued the statement they are moving forward with the TV series so hopefully momentum continues despite a tepid beginning!

Movie was a solid enough launching pad for the mythology vision of the follow up series and films, so I'm energized as a major fan of the works

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

The 3D
It made all this money
Unobtanium?
That dude fucking a tree

How dare you! Celine is much more than just My Heart Will Go On!

There's:

All By Myself
I'm Alive
Because You Loved Me
It's All Coming Back to me Now

And that's just to name a few! I shall defend my Canadian sista!

You act like George Lucas having your back would carry any significant weight in 2017

"George Lucas thinks I have the right ideas about Star Wars."
"Oh. Hhmmm"

That is half better then most Star Wars movie. if the Original Trilogy was released today they wouild do Valerian numbers

Finally, you're on my side

How dare you! Celine is much more than just My Heart Will Go On!

There's All By Myself
I'm Alive
Because You Loved Me
It's All Coming Back to me Now

And that's just to name a few! I shall defend my Canadian sista!

I've never heard of any of those songs also Canada stinks

Adam Driver's character Kylo Ren in the Force Awakens is terrible, and regardless if people don't want to believe it or not, Rey is indeed a "Mary Sue".

Slayven

Star Wars needs to get away from the Empire/Rebels bullshit, especially the jedi nonsense . A huge universe and they just tread the same water. THat is why I have a huge hope for the Han Solo movie

Bronx-Man

Banned
When Slayven, Bronson, and I come together to shit on TFA

5e26bd43ed1f008395ba1f4109389380612c0b20_hq.gif

You've been wrong enough in this thread for one day, Twin.

Take a nap

I still liked the movie.

I get the feeling you just want to get a rise out of people, lol.

LOL Maybe, but I still feel that way, although I wish there was a better term (there probably is and i just don't know it). However I remember rolling my eyes when Rey picked up the lightsaber for the first time and successfully defeated Kylo Ren with no training.

Why doesn't Titanic ever get the shit Avatar does?

IIRC, Titanic started accumulating a lot of flak against it going into the 2000s following its release, due to how popular / successful it was. It died away when Avatar topped it in commercial gross and subsequently became everyone's new punching bag. :v

When I was sitting in the theater alone watching Tommorowland, I had no idea I was actually watching a gangland execution of the TRON franchise.

Dave's looking like he's two seconds from bolting for the nearest exit and hoping nobody's got him on camera.

'I only did this because I lost a bet!'

When I was sitting in the theater alone watching Tommorowland, I had no idea I was actually watching a gangland execution of the TRON franchise.

I hope you were fookin' happy watching Clooney have a weird romance with a forever young robot

Also, I feel like a large part of Titanic's shit came from whiny little pissboys threatened by Leonardo DiCaprio's popularity.

As they got older and DiCaprio started working with Scorsese, the combination of these manbabies (somewhat) gaining perspective coupled with discovering DiCaprio's talent as an actor (before developing into full fledged fans of the man's career) naturally lessened the backlash.

Plus Titanic is legitimately better than Avatar in most respects.

But seriously a lot of online discourse about Titanic was being shat out by angry boys upset that women didn't like them.

The truth is, we need to stop funding Cameron's hobbies. If he decided he was into BDSM tomorrow, we'd get a R-rated film about bondage that would break $800 million worldwide.

It makes no sense and it's not right!

border

I was looking up old Tom Cruise box office numbers for this discussion of star power, and learned that Rain Man was the #1 movie of 1988, grossing 184 million dollars. Adjusted for inflation that is like 380 million in 2017. A movie about an autistic guy hanging out with his slimy brother outgrossed most Marvel films, all DC films and a couple of the Star Wars prequels. Damn.

Slayven

Lemme tell you about a movie called Tron Legacy
Don't nobody care about Tron
The truth is, we need to stop funding Cameron's hobbies. If he decided he was into BDSM tomorrow, we'd get a R-rated film about bondage that would break $800 million worldwide.

It makes no sense and it's not right!

Hey they still let Ridley Scoot fling poo at the screen, Cameron can do that and still make money

Also, I feel like a large part of Titanic's shit came from whiny little pissboys threatened by Leonardo DiCaprio's popularity.

As they got older and DiCaprio started working with Scorsese, the combination of these manbabies (somewhat) gaining perspective coupled with discovering DiCaprio's talent as an actor (before developing into full fledged fans of the man's career) naturally lessened the backlash.

Plus Titanic is legitimately better than Avatar in most respects.

To be fair, DiCaprio gets to work with the greatest directors of his generation along with big budgets.

I was looking up old Tom Cruise box office numbers for this discussion of star power, and learned that Rain Man was the #1 movie of 1988, grossing 184 million dollars. Adjusted for inflation that is like 380 million in 2017. A movie about an autistic guy hanging out with his slimy brother outgrossed most Marvel films, all DC films and a couple of the Star Wars prequels. Damn.

Less competition in media in general. No cell phones, no internet, few TV channel's. Plus there weren't anywhere near as many films released in a year as there are now. You still had your bombs though.

Adjusting for inflation is horseshit, though.

Although the box office top 10s (in the context of their era) of earlier years is always fascinating.

I'm putting together the "Best of 1981" episode of 80s All Over this week, and the #2 at the BO for 1981 was On Golden Pond. It was $100mil behind Raiders of the Lost Ark, yeah, but it still cleared $100mil domestic that year AND won a bunch of awards AND beat Superman II by over $10mil. It lost Best Picture to Chariots of Fire - which was $58mil and good enough for #7 at the box office - just under the fuckin' CANNONBALL RUN.

America in the early 80s was a weird place.

Slayven

Adjusting for inflation is horseshit, though.

Although the box office top 10s (in the context of their era) of earlier years is always fascinating.

I'm putting together the "Best of 1981" episode of 80s All Over this week, and the #2 at the BO for 1981 was On Golden Pond. It was $100mil behind Raiders of the Lost Ark, yeah, but it still cleared $100mil domestic that year AND won a bunch of awards AND beat Superman II by over $10mil. It lost Best Picture to Chariots of Fire - which was $58mil and good enough for #7 at the box office - just under the fuckin' CANNONBALL RUN.

America in the early 80s was a weird place.
Adjsuting for inflation feels like the nerd version of when sports radio talk about the 67 bears being able to beat the modern dolphins

Top Bottom