• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 04•17-19•15 - peeps still coming as Vin Diesel furiously beats 'em off

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

iC7eVan.jpg
H2OxDki.jpg
k249SAu.jpg
LPbmopf.jpg
qeVukhl.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
82% Furious 7
eptv7.gif
00% Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2
kavuF.gif
65% Unfriended
3Pj0x.gif
47% Home (2015)
5f4ew.gif
29% The Longest Ride
-
CBq5r.gif
93% Monkey Kingdom
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
48% True Story
-
-
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
25% Child 44

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Furious 7′ Out Runs ‘Paul Blart 2,’ ‘Unfriended’

“Furious 7″ ran laps around the competition, picking up $29.1 million in its third weekend of release, according to studio estimates.

The fast cars and gravity-defying stunts sequel is barreling towards the $300 million mark stateside having already hurtled past the $1 billion mark globally. Domestically, “Furious 7″ has earned $294.4 million.

“This is how you build a record year,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at Rentrak. “These are summer style numbers in April.”

Despite “Furious 7’s” continued dominance, “Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2″ did better than expected, pulling in a solid $24 million across 3,633 locations. It had been projected to fall short of the $20 million barrier.

It’s good news for Sony Pictures, which had a painful chapter from its recent history dredged up this week when Julian Assange’s WikiLeaks published an archive of emails and documents that were stolen by Guardians of Peace. However, “Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2″ could not match the $31.8 million debut of the first film in the Blart chronicles.

With a modest $30 million production budget, the sequel will be profitable, Sony execs said.

“It was a little scary to be in [‘Furious 7’s’] wake, but that Blart is tough stuff,” said Rory Bruer, Sony’s distribution chief. “We exceeded expectations and held our ground despite this juggernaut.”

The film brought back Kevin James as the hapless shopping center cop, but transplanted the segway shenanigans to Las Vegas. Critics were savage, handing “Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2″ a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.

“This movie is about having fun and having some laughs with the whole family and it delivers on that,” said Bruer. “If critics don’t get that, I guess maybe they needed to see it with an audience or bring their kids.”

Universal has been racking up big numbers with “Furious 7,” and the studio scored another hit with the micro-budget horror film “Unfriended.” The look at a bunch of teenagers engaging in some digital age bullying cost a measly $1 million to produce, returning that many times over after one weekend in theaters. “Unfriended” made $16 million across 2,739 theaters. Going into the weekend, the studio had predicted a debut in the $12 million range, but the movie struck a chord with teen viewers.

“It’s a very cool concept and it’s very timely,” said Nicholas Carpou, Universal’s president of domestic distribution. “Our marketing really emphasized the digital realm, which helped us reach our core audience.”

It’s another success for Universal and Blumhouse, which have previously enjoyed capacious profit margins on the likes of “The Purge,” “Ouija” and “The Boy Next Door.” Timur Bekmambetov (“Wanted”) produced “Unfriended.”

Pity poor “Child 44.” The Soviet serial killer thriller with Tom Hardy bombed, earning a doleful $600,000 in just 510 theaters. Lionsgate, the studio distributing the film, did sell some foreign territories to mitigate its financial exposure and brought in check-writing partners such as Worldview Entertainment, but with a $50 million price tag, “Child 44″ is shaping up to be one of the year’s biggest flops.

Disney’s “The Monkey Kingdom” bowed in seventh place, earning $4.7 million from 2,012 locations, while Fox Searchlight’s “True Story” earned $1.9 million from 831 theaters. “True Story,” a look at murder and journalistic ethics, had big names in James Franco and Jonah Hill, but its $2,323 per-screen average is disappointing. Along with “Child 44,” it demonstrates the difficulty of launching a film geared at adults in the blockbuster era.

With “Furious 7,” “Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2,” and “Unfriended” taking up the first three slots, the top five was rounded out by “Home” with $10.3 million and “The Longest Ride” with $6.9 million. “Home” has made $142.6 million since debuting last month, while “The Longest Ride” has lassoed $23.5 million.

In limited release, “Ex Machina” expanded from four to 39 screens this weekend, sustaining the highest per screen average in the country for the second week in a row, and adding $814,293 to its haul. The brainy sci-fi film has made $1.1 million.

Noah Baumbach’s mid-life crisis comedy “While We’re Young” made $1.6 million from 713 theaters. It has generated $4.2 million since debuting four weeks ago.

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for source*

kswiston

350m for FF7 by the end? 400?

From the previous thread

Me said:
Furious 7 will start wrapping up fairly quick.

Iron Man 3 only made $71M domestic coming off of its $35.8M third weekend, and that's including the fact that its fourth weekend was Memorial day weekend. Furious 7 has been having slightly higher drops than Iron Man 3, and is coming off a smaller weekend. If I had to guess, I would say that it has about $60M left in the tank domestically.

Furious 7 made $116M overseas this weekend, but $90M of that was from China. Given a $26M non-Chinese foreign total this weekend, you can probably count on overseas grosses to bring another $70-80M.

Chinese grosses start to rapidly drop in weekend 3 and are non-existent after weekend 5. That said, Furious 7 will at least earn another $90M in China and perhaps as much as $150M more depending on next week's holds.

If you add all that up you get $220-290M left to go worldwide, and a final gross between $1.375B and $1.445B

Ridley327

Wow, I had no idea Child 44 cost so much. I can't imagine it making anywhere close to that budget if it winds up going wide, which I doubt will happen at this point. Lionsgate did the same limited release strategy for The Lords of Salem, and that didn't fare much better.

jett

D-Member
Furious 7 is the seventh highest grossing movie of all time now.

Why.

The box office is officially a mystery to me. Especially the Chinese one.

Prompto

Banned
Looks like Child 44 is going to be the biggest bomb of the year. 600,000 on a 50 million dollar budget. Yikes.

I've never heard of it till now.

kswiston

Why.

Ya, Furious 7 just passed Avatar in China and will take the #1 of all time title from Transformers 4 sometime in the next week.

It shouldn't be a surprise that the Avengers cast is in the middle of an Asian press tour right now.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
paul blart proves that the elitist "critics" do not have their finger on the public pulse. why even have critics when there is twitter?

BumRush

Why.

Are you actually asking why? I mean it has flashy cars, looks great, has diesel, rock, babes and a Paul walker send off. Plus it's been marketed to hell and back. Oh and it's a legitimately good movie.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I wonder why Child 44 flopped. I loved the book and thought it would make a great thriller movie. It had both thrills and was an interesting look at Soviet Russia's police force at its most paranoid. The whole book felt like it was originally a screenplay. Was the trailer so bad? Audiences are tired of serial killers?

kswiston

paul blart proves that the elitist "critics" do not have their finger on the public pulse. why even have critics when there is twitter?

Let's be fair to the critics and recognize that only 38 of them even bothered to review the movie on Rotten Tomatoes. Most ultra-wide releases get 80-250 reviews. Most clearly knew their words would be wasted.

I do find it sort of humorous that the average rating for PB2 among Rotten Tomatoes' "Top critics" is 1.2/10.

Draconian

I wonder why Child 44 flopped. I loved the book and thought it would make a great thriller movie. It had both thrills and was an interesting look at Soviet Russia's police force at its most paranoid. The whole book felt like it was originally a screenplay. Was the trailer so bad? Audiences are tired of serial killers?

It's gotten like no marketing at all, which is baffling considering the cast of the movie.

jett

D-Member
Ya, Furious 7 just passed Avatar in China and will take the #1 of all time title from Transformers 4 sometime in the next week.

It shouldn't be a surprise that the Avengers cast is in the middle of an Asian press tour right now.

The most hilarious thing is that that Chinese record won't last long at all. Avengers will probably bumrush it.

Are you actually asking why? I mean it has flashy cars, looks great, has diesel, rock, babes and a Paul walker send off. Plus it's been marketed to hell and back. Oh and it's a legitimately good movie.

I've seen the movie, and it really offers nothing new over F6. Just a crazier version of the same thing. The last two movies have everything you mentioned, except Walker being dead. This massive increase in popularity is as crazy and nonsensical as the movie itself. Personally it was barely a passable afterthought of a time, but that doesn't really matter.

Ridley327

It's gotten like no marketing at all, which is baffling considering the cast of the movie.

I saw a poster for it in one of the arthouse theaters I've gone to, and that's been about it for my marketing exposure to it.

On top of that, I think that Variety doesn't really explain that for adult fare, the audiences do very much read the reviews for those kinds of films, and it's rare that middling reviews get audiences in the seats. I remember when Universal put out The Fifth Estate in 2000+ screens its first weekend, despite the reviews being so overwhelmingly unenthusiastic. I can only imagine how much they lost on that film as a result of being so aggressive with its release in the face of a dozen or so red flags.

Ridley327

Is that the one where the shark blows up after impaling itself on the bow of a sailboat?

Only after it roars like a lion after pursuing Mrs. Brody while she has a flashback to Brody killing the shark in the first film, which she was not witness to.

Oh, and the shark has a psychic link to Mrs. Brody that allows it to know where she is at all times.

Jaws: The Revenge is fucking insane.

kswiston

I saw Jaws: The Revenge in the theater. No regrets.

I was only 5 when it released, so I probably saw it on TV at some point in the 90s.

It's funny how poorly most sequels were treated in the 70s-90s. Jaws was the biggest movie of all time up until Star Wars released. The drop between Jaws 1 and Jaws 4 would be roughly the same as Avengers Infinity War pt 2 making a total of $50M domestic.

ninjabat

Hope furious 7 can get to 300 mil domestically. Glad avengers is not coming this weekend, more room for Furious to do some damage.

Ridley327

I've never heard of that one. Does Ex Machina expand next week? Maybe that could take top spot.

Even if Ex Machina goes wider, I can't imagine that the subject matter being a big draw. As much of a renaissance sci-fi is having right now, the big grossers are still very much blockbuster-type films, like Gravity and Interstellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom