• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 04•17-19•15 - peeps still coming as Vin Diesel furiously beats 'em off

Status
Not open for further replies.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
So exactly what in the fuck is up with box office mojo not doing weekend proections for the past couple of weeks?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
So exactly what in the fuck is up with box office mojo not doing weekend proections for the past couple of weeks?
BOM has been weird for a while, they haven't updated some international markets data since November.

jett

D-Member

BOM has been weird for a while, they haven't updated some international markets data since November.

Ever since imdb took BOM down momentarily last year it has been in a half-assed state. I guess so that we don't care so much the next time they take it offline for good. :p

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Ever since imdb took BOM down momentarily last year it has been in a half-assed state. I guess so that we don't care so much the next time they take it offline for good. :p
LOL pretty much :p

As a side note, here in Uruguay Furious 7 has sold about 188126 tickets thus far, and going to pass Finding Nemo this weekend becoming the fifth most viewed movie in the country's history.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Age of Adaline - $5.0M
2) Furious 7 - $4.8M - $307M
3) Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 - ~$3.5M (not up yet)
4) Unfriended - $2.0M - $21M total

- Furious 7 will probably end up #1 again since holdovers have better Saturday increases than new films

- Furious 7 is sitting at $312M in China as of today, making it the highest grossing film of all time there. Domestic may end up catching back up since Chinese late legs are non-existent.

kswiston

Weekend Estimates:

1) Furious 7 - $18.2M - $320M total
2) Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 - $15.5M - $44M total
3) Age of Adaline - $13.38M
4) Home - $8.3M - $154M total

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Avengers earnt $200M this weekend

kswiston

Age of Ultron made $201M from advanced showing in about half of its overseas territories this weekend.

For comparison, the original Avengers did $185M from about 70% of the overseas market in that first weekend.

Considering the Euro is down over 20% from 2012, those early results are pretty impressive. We are likely looking at the second $1B+ overseas total for the year, which is crazy considering the only 2 films to hit that figure prior to 2015 were Titanic and Avatar.

EDIT: slow, but more info :p

F7 1.322B total.

1.001B OS.

6th highest grossing film and 3rd highest grossing OS total.

Furious 7 will briefly hold the #5 worldwide position before being bumped back down in 5-6 weeks.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Top markets for 'Avengers': South Korea ($28.2M), the U.K. ($27.3M), Russia ($16.2M), Brazil ($13.1M), Australia ($13.1M) & France ($12.4M)
nabbed from BOM twitter

kswiston

Top markets for 'Avengers': South Korea ($28.2M), the U.K. ($27.3M), Russia ($16.2M), Brazil ($13.1M), Australia ($13.1M) & France ($12.4M)
nabbed from BOM twitter

Age of Ultron is up 44% from The Avengers in the territories that opened this weekend.

EDIT: Here are Furious 7's openings in those territories for comparison

South Korea - $6.9M
UK - $19M
Russia - $16.0M
Brazil - $11.9M
Australia - $11.2M
France - $11.9M

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
We live in a day and age were The Fast and Furious series is one of the biggest three franchises in the world

VD!

3N16MA

Banned
Iron Man 2 wasn't that big worldwide. It was #7 for 2010 films. All 5 major superhero films last year outgrossed Iron Man 2.

Stating that the FF series has been steadily growing and a popular franchise for years. I think most people would have picked IM2 as the top grosser between the two without looking it up.

kswiston

Stating that the FF series has been steadily growing and a popular franchise for years. I think most people would have picked IM2 as the top grosser between the two without looking it up.

Ah. Yeah, FF6 came close to $800M. I don't think anyone would have ever predicted the 7th film to break $1.4B, but $900M-1B looked good even a couple months before release.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Fast Five brought it up. But I did not see it becoming the the 3rd highest grossing movie of the year, only behind Avengers and Star Wars. Nearing 1.4bil. From a franchise that started off at 200mil and 3rd entry was on life support.

3N16MA

Banned
Ah. Yeah, FF6 came close to $800M. I don't think anyone would have ever predicted the 7th film to break $1.4B, but $900M-1B looked good even a couple months before release.

Fast Five brought it up. But I did not see it becoming the the 3rd highest grossing movie of the year, only behind Avengers and Star Wars. Nearing 1.4bil. From a franchise that started off at 200mil and 3rd entry was on life support.

True on both accounts. No one predicted this kind of draw.

Age of Ultron made $201M from advanced showing in about half of its overseas territories this weekend.

For comparison, the original Avengers did $185M from about 70% of the overseas market in that first weekend.

Considering the Euro is down over 20% from 2012, those early results are pretty impressive. We are likely looking at the second $1B+ overseas total for the year, which is crazy considering the only 2 films to hit that figure prior to 2015 were Titanic and Avatar.
Jesus. So it opened in fewer territories but made a lot more? That is nuts. Now to wait and see how huge it is in China this time.

Apparently a bunch of German cinemas didnt show AoU.

http://screenrant.com/german-theaters-not-showing-avengers-2-age-ultron/

According to a recent report by the German website Deutsche Welle, theaters within nearly 200 small towns in the country have declined to show Avengers: Age of Ultron on a total of nearly 700 screens. Contrary to what one might first assume when they hear about a foreign boycott of a domestic film, this decision has nothing to do with Age of Ultron’s content and everything to with cold hard cash.

Still, when you consider how universally popular Marvel’s films are, by playing hardball and not giving in to the demands of these German theaters, Disney is effectively agreeing to lose millions of dollars it could have made from those now nonexistent ticket sales. Also, the company is certainly not engendering good will with the everyday Germans who are now being forced to travel to a major city and pay higher ticket prices in order to take in Joss Whedon’s latest comic book spectacle.

A bunch of small towns, but still could be a lot of missed money. AoU will make bank regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom