• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 12•20-22•13 - Hobbit anchors box office during xmas hustle

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

hDLO0af.jpg
38WkiV2.jpg
Fm7hGDq.jpg
0iHlG6y.jpg
mARWNYn.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
76% The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
9wcOG.gif
74% Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
kavuF.gif
89% Frozen (2013
8vteV.gif
94% American Hustle
0hJB1.gif
81% Saving Mr. Banks
-
-
cnbh9QN.gif
26% Walking with Dinosaur
lLvR3yh.gif
n/a Dhoom 3

metacritic:

*click pic(s) for source*

Box Office: ‘Hobbit’ Wins Christmas Lead-Up With $31.5 Mil; ‘Anchorman 2′ Bows to $26.8 Mil. 'Frozen,' 'American Hustle' jockey for third place domestically

In the lead-up to one of the busiest times at the box office, audiences certainly spread around the Christmas cheer this weekend, as Warner Bros.’ “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” continued its reign on top with an estimated $31.5 million Friday-Sunday, while Paramount’s new entry “Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues” followed with a solid $26.8 million in three days.

Paramount bowed “Anchorman 2″ midweek to give it a leg-up on the competition; pic has grossed $40 million since late night Tuesday.

The comedy sequel, which received a serviceable ‘B’ CinemaScore rating, had some B.O. observers predicting a slightly larger three-day gross in the low-$30 millions, though the crowded marketplace, added to the preoccupied nature of people around this time may have slowed the film down some. That said, films released at around Christmastime usually outperform their openings greater than any other time of year. A reasonable domestic outcome for “Anchorman 2″ would be around $125 million-plus, based on its three-day opening.

Internationally, “Anchorman 2,” with $13.4 million, already has more than doubled what the first film made overseas — and from just six territories. Not surprisingly, leading the charge were the U.K. and Australia (the comedy will have a tougher time expanding to non-English speaking countries).

“One of the biggest takeaways this weekend is how well the film performed internationally for a franchise which started with a (virtually) domestic-only release,” said Par vice chairman Rob Moore, who added that domestically, “the film is off to a great start with its core.”

Meanwhile, “The Hobbit” has cumed $127.5 million domestically, with a gross north of $300 million already worldwide.

“The Hobbit” fell just 57% in its second Stateside frame — just a touch more than its predecessor, which dropped 56% during its sophomore outing.

Wrestling for third place, Disney’s “Frozen,” with an estimated $19.2 million, secured a slight edge over Sony’s “American Hustle” in its first weekend of wide release, grossing $19.1 million through Sunday.

In five weeks, “Frozen” has amassed more than $191 million domestically, positioning it just below this year’s top 10 grossing films, with more than $344 million worldwide. “American Hustle,” on the other hand, reached north of $20 million Stateside; Sony has yet to begin the film’s overseas roll out.

Also expanding wide was Disney’s “Saving Mr. Banks,” which grossed a disappointing $9.3 million from 2,110 Stateside locations. The film’s modest nationwide expansion wasn’t altogether unexpected since “Banks” got off to a sluggish start last weekend in limited release. Disney hopes the film will become a larger choice for families next week, though it will still have to compete with Fox’s “Walking With Dinosaurs,” which started even more modestly this weekend (estimating $7.3 million).

And in limited release, Warner Bros.’ Spike Jonze-directed “Her” earned a decent-not-great $42,969 per-screen average Friday-Sunday from six locations. By comparison, “American Hustle” — a much larger-scale film compared to “Her” — averaged more than $123,000 from six locations last weekend. Though Warners launched “Her” on Wednesday; pic averaged $60,246 in five days.

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Saw my first 48fps movie yesterday.

eeeeeew.

maybe I will get used to it. But the Tauriel healing scene looked like General Hospital.

mjc

Saw my first 48fps movie yesterday.

eeeeeew.

maybe I will get used to it. But the Tauriel healing scene looked like General Hospital.

It's definitely weird to get accustomed to. I didn't see Smaug with it but I saw AUJ last year with it. Felt like everything was moving at super speed. It did make the action scenes much more clear though, which I appreciated.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's definitely weird to get accustomed to. I didn't see Smaug with it but I saw AUJ last year with it. Felt like everything was moving at super speed. It did make the action scenes much more clear though, which I appreciated.

intellectually I want it to succeed, but decades of training makes my brain interpolate 24fps in a radically different way. I wonder if younger audiences will adapt better. The barrel fight looked like a video game as a result.

YES! frozen keeping strong awesome lets hope it does even better with an x-mas time off for family bump.

And Anchorman 2 did not bomb so hard as folks expected on Friday right?
But marking for this movie is insane so it really needs more to even break even right?

Do we have any idea how much Walking With Dinosaurs cost? Because that's a Mars Needs Moms level of bombing, christ.

Anchorman underperformed considering its ever-present advertisements, but I guess it will do well over the holiday.

American Hustle doing work, Thor over $200 million, Catching Fire might just eek its way to $400 million. Good news all around.

Frozen is going to beat the Hobbit. I'm okay with that.

Wow, expected a lot bigger from Anchorman. I'm sure it'll pickup over the Christmas break.

It's only slightly under expectations but I think they mysteriously wasted a lot of advertising money on it. The original has obviously grown an audience over the years but there's still a pretty hard ceiling for its brand of imbecilic-absurdist humor. There's definitely enough built-in interest to make money on this but I don't know why they saturated the airwaves. It's the kind of movie you're not really going to *convince* people to see.

It's only slightly under expectations but I think they mysteriously wasted a lot of advertising money on it. The original has obviously grown an audience over the years but there's still a pretty hard ceiling for its brand of imbecilic-absurdist humor. There's definitely enough built-in interest to make money on this but I don't know why they saturated the airwaves. It's the kind of movie you're not really going to *convince* people to see.

True, I mean given how big the audience is (I don't know a single person who hasn't seen the original that doesn't want to see the sequel) I expected more opening weekend. Although I'm just as guilty, I haven't seen it yet.

I want to be about that Dhoom 3 life. Dhoom 2 was the peak of human achievement.

I´ve never heard about Dhoom. Just saw the trailer for Dhoom 3 and now I want to watch it desperately. It looks like Now You See Me mixed with The Fast And The Furious but with an Indian dude instead of a large group of robbers.

RBH

I´ve never heard about Dhoom. Just saw the trailer for Dhoom 3 and now I want to watch it desperately. It looks like Now You See Me mixed with The Fast And The Furious but with an Indian dude instead of a large group of robbers.

The first two Dhoom movies are on Netflix if you're interested in checking it out.

Showaddy

Do we have any idea how much Walking With Dinosaurs cost? Because that's a Mars Needs Moms level of bombing, christ.

Anchorman underperformed considering its ever-present advertisements, but I guess it will do well over the holiday.

American Hustle doing work, Thor over $200 million, Catching Fire might just eek its way to $400 million. Good news all around.

Frozen is going to beat the Hobbit. I'm okay with that.

Less than half MnM's by all accounts.

Hobbit 2 was better than the first one, but the first one was awful imo. Fuck PJ, and his overly long crap that he puts into his movies. I am glad that the Hobbit 2 has not set the world on fire. That would teach companies to be greedy and split books into several parts to milk people for money. The Hobbit made 22.5$ million less in the same period 10 days total) in the US.

Frozen is doing really well.

Son Of D

According to Wiki, the production budget was $80m. So yeah, that $7.3m is definitely going to sting.

Also, do we have overseas totals yet?

BTM

Hobbit 2 was better than the first one, but the first one was awful imo. Fuck PJ, and his overly long crap that he puts into his movies. I am glad that the Hobbit 2 has not set the world on fire. That would teach companies to be greedy and split books into several parts to milk people for money. The Hobbit made 22.5$ million less in the same period 10 days total) in the US.

Frozen is doing really well.

The more time spent in Middle-earth the better imo. But that's just me.

Dabanton

The obnoxious trailer probably put a lot of people off of seeing WWD I mean it's Christmas and families still didn't go and see it.

That says a lot. Whoever decision it was to add voices will probably be packing their boxes tomorrow.

Akahige

Was expecting Anchorman 2 to do so much more, I wonder how much the ad campaign cost, Will's been everywhere in character for this movie along with ads ads ads on tv for this.

Randdalf

The obnoxious trailer probably put a lot of people off of seeing WWD I mean it's Christmas and families still didn't go and see it.

That says a lot. Whoever decision it was to add voices will probably be packing their boxes tomorrow.

Yeah, they should just get the Dinosaurs/Beasts/Monsters box set and watch them instead, one of my favourite TV series ever.

That seems disappointing for anchorman 2 based on year+ ad bombardments.

Did not expect to see hobbit retain no 1 for the weekend,

The TDOS in 24fps. The 48fps just cheapens the experience for me.

A combination of 48fps for panning scenes and 24fps for the rest would be ideal for me.

Alrus

Companies won't learn anything, The Hobbit 2 will still be a massive success (I'd say over 900m ww) and The hobbit 3 won't do much worse. There's no way Warner will think it was a bad move to make 3 movie over one or two.

So far all the "multiple parters from one book" movies have proven to be really successful. If there's another massive book saga adapted in the future, you can bet there will be multi parters for it too.

kswiston

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Domestic: $127,500,000 - 31.6%
Foreign: $276,300,000 - 68.4%
Worldwide: $403,800,000

Catching Fire
Domestic: $371,700,000 - 48.6%
Foreign: $393,600,000 - 51.4%
Worldwide: $765,300,000

kswiston

All the whoring out of AM2's cast and the stupid ad's...and it couldn't hit #1.

lol

I think they waited too long to do this sequel. Anchorman 1 came out almost a decade ago.

Anyhow, we are entering the holiday season, so Anchorman 2 should still pass $100M.

max-pain

Gravity
Domestic: $253,566,000
Foreign: $398,700,000
Worldwide: $652,266,000

Thor: The Dark World
Domestic: $200,766,000
Foreign: $426,300,000
Worldwide: $627,066,000

Man of Steel
Domestic: $291,045,518
Foreign: $371,800,000
Worldwide: $662,845,518

Gravity will beat Man of Steel, but Thor: The Dark World won't.

kswiston

I think Frozen will end up beating Man of Steel Worldwide as well.

In its fourth weekend in wide release, Tangled made $8.8M. It went on to make an additional $73M, representing 35% of its gross. Frozen has been holding better than Tangled in every weekend so far, and made more than double Tangled's $8.8M gross this weekend. If Frozen holds as well as Tangled did from here on out, it will hit $300M. Depending on how it does this coming week, I could see it going higher than that.

In other words, Frozen has a good shot at becoming the #4 domestic film of the year behind Iron Man 3, Catching Fire, and Despicable Me 2.

EDIT: If it hits $300M, Frozen will have the best gross for an original animated film since Finding Nemo.

Gravity
Domestic: $253,566,000
Foreign: $398,700,000
Worldwide: $652,266,000

Thor: The Dark World
Domestic: $200,766,000
Foreign: $426,300,000
Worldwide: $627,066,000

Man of Steel
Domestic: $291,045,518
Foreign: $371,800,000
Worldwide: $662,845,518

Gravity will beat Man of Steel, but Thor: The Dark World won't.

That's got to be a victory for Marvel, before the mid-2000s the proposition that Thor and Iron Man could stand toe to toe with Superman and Batman, respectively, in theaters was a bad joke.

GotG is the most fascinating film for comic book box office predictions.

Cardon

I want to thank this thread for making me aware of the Dhoom franchise since I'm watching the first flick on Netflix right now and it's one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

GCX

Does Frozen have any change of becoming the highest grossing Walt Disney Animation Studios movie of all time?

I mean Tangled ended up grossing the 2nd most right after The Lion King and Frozen is tracking ahead of Tangled so far.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm really surprised at Anchorman 2. I haven't been following tracking but they have been promoting it everywhere and everyone I know seems to love the first one. I was really expecting a 40m+ weekend, but then I guess the weekday debut took a big share of the gross.

All the Marvel movies are getting great post Avengers boosts. I assume Capt America 2 will also get a nice lift. I wonder how Guardians of the Galaxy will fare in comparison since most cannot draw that direct connection to the Avengers.

Fezan

All the Marvel movies are getting great post Avengers boosts. I assume Capt America 2 will also get a nice lift. I wonder how Guardians of the Galaxy will fare in comparison since most cannot draw that direct connection to the Avengers.

In perfect world THOR 2 would have bombed so we can get atleast more experimental heroes from Marvel like GOTG

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Agreed. The trailer before Frozen was WAY better.

I hope The Hobbit continues to succeed. I really enjoyed it. And I love the 48 fps. Sorry for those that don't.

Looking forward to catching American Hustle post Xmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom