• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 12•20-22•13 - Hobbit anchors box office during xmas hustle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr stroke

I'm really surprised at Anchorman 2. I haven't been following tracking but they have been promoting it everywhere and everyone I know seems to love the first one. I was really expecting a 40m+ weekend, but then I guess the weekday debut took a big share of the gross.

I think Anchorman 2 should be fine after this week. Probably 100+ once its all said and done.

Empty

does that anchorman budget figure include marketing

because there's so much fucking advertising for that film

go frozen. boo hobbit.

I enjoyed the second hobbit, it was definitely better than the first. I'm very happy to see Frozen doing well. It's probably my favorite movie of the year.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
does that anchorman budget figure include marketing

because there's so much fucking advertising for that film

go frozen. boo hobbit.

A lot of its marketing is paid by other companies however, like Dodge. But no, those budgets never include marketing costs.

Emwitus

Hobbit 2 was better than the first one, but the first one was awful imo. Fuck PJ, and his overly long crap that he puts into his movies. I am glad that the Hobbit 2 has not set the world on fire. That would teach companies to be greedy and split books into several parts to milk people for money. The Hobbit made 22.5$ million less in the same period 10 days total) in the US.

Frozen is doing really well.
Eh. Didn't the first one make a billion dollars? And the second one is on pace to do the same?

In perfect world THOR 2 would have bombed so we can get atleast more experimental heroes from Marvel like GOTG

I'd say that the upcoming Netflix only street level hero shows are about as experimental as I have ever seen or heard of. You can have both. Just look at Guardians of the Galaxy and try and tell me that's not risky.

It's interesting how jaded people get at a successful movie franchise. Just 3 short years ago everthing Marvel released was all part of a massive experiment with huge risks. If a single movie would've bombed it could've sunk the entire project/series.

Son Of D

Gravity
Domestic: $253,566,000
Foreign: $398,700,000
Worldwide: $652,266,000

Thor: The Dark World
Domestic: $200,766,000
Foreign: $426,300,000
Worldwide: $627,066,000

Man of Steel
Domestic: $291,045,518
Foreign: $371,800,000
Worldwide: $662,845,518

Gravity will beat Man of Steel, but Thor: The Dark World won't.

I am incredibly impressed with Gravity's numbers. Haven't seen it yet (I really should though) but word of mouth must be strong with this one.

And if you told me 5 years ago that Thor and Superman movies would be very close in terms of gross, I'd laugh. I wonder if Thor could at least hit $650m.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I think Anchorman 2 should be fine after this week. Probably 100+ once its all said and done.

It will almost definitely be fine, I just had inflated expectations for it because of everyone's love of the first film

Cipherr

And if you told me 5 years ago that Thor and Superman movies would be very close in terms of gross, I'd laugh. I wonder if Thor could at least hit $650m.

Same. My mind is still sort of reeling on that. The first Thor IMO wasn't that good at all. The Avengers really saved this one more than likely.

Fezan

I'd say that the upcoming Netflix only street level hero shows are about as experimental as I have ever seen or heard of. You can have both. Just look at Guardians of the Galaxy and try and tell me that's not risky.

It's interesting how jaded people get at a successful movie franchise. Just 3 short years ago everthing Marvel released was all part of a massive experiment with huge risks. If a single movie would've bombed it could've sunk the entire project/series.

Yes awaiting gotg and ant-man. Both seem out of norm movie. but when boring movies like IM3 and Thor 2 are making such money i don't think studios will mix formula much

Son Of D

Same. My mind is still sort of reeling on that. The first Thor IMO wasn't that good at all. The Avengers really saved this one more than likely.

It was average at best I felt, Dark World was better but still not great. It's going to be interesting to see how Captain America 2 does, I feel it'll be around the same mark as Thor. What were the total grosses of the first CapAm and Thor movies?

Guardians of the Galaxy is one I'm eager to see results of though. I'm expecting Disney to promote the shit out of that movie (and all the trailers and posters will include "From the studio behind The Avengers and Iron Man 3").

kswiston

Does Frozen have any change of becoming the highest grossing Walt Disney Animation Studios movie of all time?

I mean Tangled ended up grossing the 2nd most right after The Lion King and Frozen is tracking ahead of Tangled so far.

Do you mean Domestic? If so, Aladdin grossed more than Tangled. If we are counting the Lion King's lifetime gross, than no, since that movie is sitting at $420M. If we are counting the Lion King's original $312M gross, than maybe. Of course, the Lion King is 20 years old, and with inflation, would be over $500M.

I hope the Hobbit never make it to 200M. It's a bad movie

Pretty much impossible thanks to the Winter Holidays. Christmas being on a Wednesday will mean that most of the weekdays this coming week will behave like weekends. Expect DoS to be sitting at $190M or so by next Sunday.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I was really expecting Anchorman to do like $50M or something. I guess that's just unrealistic for most comedies.

my expectations are too high for that scene. but i really want something as good as the helms deep scene or the rohan charge in return of the king. howard shore got to step his game up for the last film.

I kind of think Frozen will win this week in terms of box office. Word is still strong and I just see more families watching a nice 90 minute disney animation rather than a 3 hour complicated adventure.

Guzim

Earlier in the year (can't remember which month), and it was due to Jackson not having his mind made up on what he wants to do with (non-readers: do not highlight!)
the Battle of Five Armies

Very interesting. Please be good.

Ridley327

Very interesting. Please be good.

Jackson really hasn't let us down yet in the
massive battle
aspect of the series yet, and for something that's going to take up at least a third of the final runtime, any extra time he needs to make it right will be greatly appreciated.

kswiston

I kind of think Frozen will win this week in terms of box office. Word is still strong and I just see more families watching a nice 90 minute disney animation rather than a 3 hour complicated adventure.

Doubtful. Nothing in the top 15 dropped over 15% last year on X-Mas weekend. The Hobbit had a 13.5% drop. Desolation of Smaug will be over $25M again next weekend. Frozen will need a 35% increase to have a shot.

Doubtful. Nothing in the top 15 dropped over 15% last year on X-Mas weekend. The Hobbit had a 13.5% drop. Desolation of Smaug will be over $25M again next weekend. Frozen will need a 35% increase to have a shot.

$600,000 difference for monday. It has a chance but if anything the lack of showtimings due to new movies will hinder it.

I don't understand how that makes it a bomb?

Well, if we go back to the first movie argument on how it didn't make as much as the any of the original LOTR films (after inflation) & how the gross were inflated even more with 3D & HFR ticket prices, which makes it seem like it sold a lot less tickets than the original series.

Not bombed, but definitely underperformed. A disappointment for the backers & people who made & funded the film.

Well, if we go back to the first movie argument on how it didn't make as much as the any of the original LOTR films (after inflation) & how the gross were inflated even more with 3D & HFR ticket prices, which makes it seem like it sold a lot less tickets than the original series.

Not bombed, but definitely underperformed. A disappointment for the backers & people who made & funded the film.

But they basically made their money back on the whole trilogy with the first film alone so I'm not sure it's disappointing in the way you're saying it's disappointing.

kswiston

$600,000 difference for monday. It has a chance but if anything the lack of showtimings due to new movies will hinder it.

Christmas day difference was $3M, so we can probably lay that one to rest.

Hobbit led Christmas day with $9.3M, with the Wolf of Wall Street coming in at $9.15M. Walter Mitty debuted at $7.8M, 47 Ronin at $7M, Grudge Match with $4M, and Beiber with $1.3M.

kswiston

Christmas day difference was $3M, so we can probably lay that one to rest.

I might have spoke too soon.On Thursday, the Hobbit lead with $10.5M, while Frozen took second place with $9.1M. I still think the Hobbit will win the weekend, but Frozen is in for a gigantic fifth weekend. Probably the third biggest of all time behind Avatar and Titanic.

EDIT: Actually, looking at early numbers, Frozen may be ahead. It's going to be super close. Either way, Frozen is going to be the first animated film from Disney Animation to break $300M domestic since the Lion King (not counting Pixar of course).

RBH

jbz2f7Fmh8UhPD.png

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

Nice bump for Anchorman on Christmas Day.

Loxley

But they basically made their money back on the whole trilogy with the first film alone so I'm not sure it's disappointing in the way you're saying it's disappointing.

I wouldn't bother trying to argue with the arm-chair box office experts in this thread. It was the same BS last year, people proclaiming left and right that AUJ was a disappointment money-wise despite making north of a billion dollars and effectively paying for the entire trilogy by itself. Yeah, I'm sure WB are cried themselves all he way to the bank.

Also, a lot of people are straight-up ignoring the fact that The Hobbit has a lot more solid competition this year, last year there was practally nothing until Les Miserables hit. That combined with the mixed reactions to AUJ last year seem to me to be plenty reason why DOS is making (slightly) less money in the US than AUJ did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom