• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 12•20-22•13 - Hobbit anchors box office during xmas hustle

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Geez, Grudge Match must have flopped big time if 47 Ronin is in the top 10.

Yup.

jbz2f7Fmh8UhPD.png

jVWQWRnnmTTcQ.png

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

Alrus

What makes you say that

On the top of my head we've had :

-The Lone Ranger
-RIPD
-After Earth
-Ender's Game
-White House Down
-Jack the Giant Slayer
-Turbo (less spectacular but still a bomb)

And now 47 Ronin.

All bombing, that seems like a ton of really high budget bombs in a single year.

Alrus

Some of those movies, maybe most, were shit though. After Earth didn't completely bomb though. It lost money, but just looking at Wikipedia I would think it's not a complete desaster. Turbo actually might've made money, no?

Rise of the Guardians was considered a disaster last year, and Turbo made less than that movie.

johnsmith

remember me
47 Ronin's budget was north of 225 million. Wow.

Universal Pulls ’47 Ronin’ From Director as Budget Swells to $225M (Exclusive)

"47 Ronin," Keanu Reeves' biggest movie since "The Matrix," has been described as a "nightmare" and will have to surpass $500 million at the box office just to break even
Yeah, good luck with that.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/artic...n-director-budget-swells-225m-exclusive-57111

Jesus, just noticed this article was from September 2012, so the cost was probably much higher if it took yet another year to finally drop this turd.

Ridley327

LMAO, why was this greenlit?

The better question is why did any executive over at Universal think it was ever a good idea to hand the reins of a $100+ million dollar production to someone who hadn't directed a feature-length film before, let alone a blockbuster.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Ridley Scott push Carl Rinsch as the director of Prometheus 2 in an effort to save his career after 47 Ronin. Of course, Fox might be even less enthused about that idea than when it was floated for the first Prometheus.

Zen

Banned
I am incredibly impressed with Gravity's numbers. Haven't seen it yet (I really should though) but word of mouth must be strong with this one.

And if you told me 5 years ago that Thor and Superman movies would be very close in terms of gross, I'd laugh. I wonder if Thor could at least hit $650m.

Everyone who isn't into comics doesn't realize that Thor is one of Marvels most popular characters (especially over the past 6 years or so) and is a lot more than just 'Marvels SuperMan'. Nice to see that the movie did well even if I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the first, the Half in the Bag review of it missed the point entirely.

Effect

I never got why 47 Ronin was pushed back to Christmas Day of all days and not released during the summer or even pushed back to the beginning of summer of 2014 or the spring of 2014. I still want to see it but I was not going to go out during the weather and holidays. I'm glad Hobbit released when it did and I almost didn't see that because of the snow storm that hit my area later that evening.

Ridley327

I never got why 47 Ronin was pushed back to Christmas Day of all days and not released during the summer or even pushed back to the beginning of summer of 2014 or the spring of 2014. I still want to see it but I was not going to go out during the weather and holidays. I'm glad Hobbit released when it did and I almost didn't see that because of the snow storm that hit my area later that evening.

I think it had more to do with Universal already having a packed summer schedule this year, and at the time of the decision, having a pretty packed schedule for next summer, as well. On top of that, they also got Seventh Son from WB for the Legendary deal, which also needs its own slot.

Son Of D

Pagusas

Elden Member
Im sad Frozen hasnt done better, I was expecting it to be over 250 mil by now. Hows it tracking vs Tangled

*edit* wow nevermind, I guess its out done Tangled already. Thats great!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Im sad Frozen hasnt done better, I was expecting it to be over 250 mil by now. Hows it tracking vs Tangled

*edit* wow nevermind, I guess its out done Tangled already. Thats great!

Yeah, Frozen is doing fantastically, especially for an original non-Pixar movie. Only Shrek and Despicable Me are ahead (domestic, ignoring inflation), and Frozen will at least knock down the latter if not both.

Alrus

Frozen is going to wind up ahead of The Hobbit for the week-end, Disney probably never expected such a big success.

Alrus

Frozen shit is plastered all over Walmarts and targets. Disney knew what they were doing.

Oh they obviously expected it to be successful and sell merch, but over 300M successful doesn't happen very often for an "original" animated movie so they must be extatic about the movie's continued success.

kswiston

Oh they obviously expected it to be successful and sell merch, but over 300M successful doesn't happen very often for an "original" animated movie so they must be extatic about the movie's continued success.

It has only happened twice before this: The Lion King and Finding Nemo.

Not counting inflation of course.

kswiston

This weekend was really close. Frozen won Friday, while the Hobbit took Saturday. Estimates have the Hobbit on top for a third week.

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) The Hobbit (-5%) - $29.9M - $190M total
2) Frozen (+45%) - $28.9M - $248M total
3) Anchorman 2 - $20.2M (-24%) - $84M total
4) American Hustle - $19.6M (+3%) - $60M total
5) The Wolf of Wallstreet - $18.5M - $34M total
6) Saving Mr Banks - $14.0M (+50%) - $38M total
7) The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - $13.0M - $26M total
8) The Hunger Games - $10.1M (+15%) -$391M total
9) 47 Ronin - $9.8M - $21M total

- Frozen is already the second highest grossing Disney animated film behind the Lion King. It should have zero problems breaking $300M, which means it will be the #4 film of the year domestically. Worldwide, Frozen is just under $500M after a global weekend that was close to $80M. I expect the film to hit $750M worldwide at the very minimum. It could break $800M.

- I want to gloat for a second and point out that on Dec 22nd, I called $190M domestic for Desolation of Smaug as of today :p The second part of the Hobbit trilogy was over $500M as of Thursday worldwide, so I am expecting at this weekend's total to be in the $600M range.

- Catching Fire looks set to take the Domestic crown this year. However, it won't be by much. The final total will probably land in the $410-415M range.

- 47 Ronin is the biggest flop of the year. Breath easy R.I.P.D. and Lone Ranger

- Grudge Match also flopped

This weekend was really close. Frozen won Friday, while the Hobbit took Saturday. Estimates have the Hobbit on top for a third week.

Weekend Studio Estimates:

- Frozen is already the second highest grossing Disney animated film behind the Lion King. It should have zero problems breaking $300M, which means it will be the #4 film of the year domestically. Worldwide, Frozen is just under $500M after a global weekend that was close to $80M. I expect the film to hit $750M worldwide at the very minimum. It could break $800M.

- I want to gloat for a second and point out that on Dec 22nd, I called $190M domestic for Desolation of Smaug as of today :p The second part of the Hobbit trilogy was over $500M as of Thursday worldwide, so I am expecting at this weekend's total to be in the $600M range.

- Catching Fire looks set to take the Domestic crown this year. However, it won't be by much. The final total will probably land in the $410-415M range.

- 47 Ronin is the biggest flop of the year. Breath easy R.I.P.D. and Lone Ranger

I have pimped out Frozen to everyone. Everyone that saw it enjoyed/loved it. Glad to see it's doing so well. Hopefully will be seeing American Hustle and Wolf this week.

mr stroke

WOW, how does this happen?

Busty

Banned
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Ridley Scott push Carl Rinsch as the director of Prometheus 2 in an effort to save his career after 47 Ronin.

Well I believe that Carl is no longer in a long term relationship with Ridley's daughter Jordan so...., probably not.

I'm actually genuinely surprised by this. While I didn't expect it to do major business I still expected it to debut in the top ten.

Seeing as older audiences don't tend to rush to the cinema this might do a little be more business in January and not shit the bed entirely.

Providing that WB don't just yank it out of cinema screens of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom