• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•11-13 •12 - Depp/Burton bask in shadow of Whedon's Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

SgQ3J.jpg
ZlY9L.jpg
z1HnX.jpg
ClyHx.jpg
GZMAH.jpg

rottenwatch box office:
o71uG.gif
93% Marvel's The Avengers
aucdr.gif
41% Dark Shadows
i4vvm.gif
52% Think Like a Man
SDv4n.gif
84% The Hunger Games
eCYrd.gif
20% The Lucky One
-
-
-
-
kFX1r.gif
31% Girl In Progress

metacritic box office:

*click pic(s) for source*

After just 19 days, Disney-Marvel's "The Avengers" is expected today to cross $1 billion at the global box office, boosted by a remarkable soph-sesh hold Stateside, down just 50%, for a weekend take of $103.2 million.

The film's stalwart perf this weekend caused a pair of "Avatar" benchmarks to fall: "Avengers" now is the fastest-growing pic to reach the billion-dollar threshold -- it took "Avatar" four weeks. The superhero pic also outstripped the 2009 blockbuster's previous $75.6 million benchmark as the all-time biggest second weekend tally domestically.

"Avengers" reached an estimated $628.9 million internationally through Sunday, with Stateside totals at $373.2 million.

The Disney-Marvel pic took a big bite this weekend out of Warner Bros.' debut player "Dark Shadows," which underperformed expectations with an estimated $28.8 million.

"Dark Shadows" was projected to hit at least the mid-$30 million mark -- a so-so $550,000 midnight start suggested it could, based on previous summer comparisons. But hulk-sized competition from "Avengers" on Saturday and Sunday stunted the debut pic's growth.

At the Stateside specialty B.O., Fox Searchlight managed to offer successful counterprogramming for the second straight weekend with "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" -- but this time on a much wider scale.

FSL added on Friday more than 150 locations for "Hotel," which estimated $2.7 million ($14,888 per screen) through Sunday for a cume of $3.7 million. The film's staying power with "Avengers" in the market is made more impressive given that "Hotel" has registered mostly with seniors, who pay discounted ticket fares. Pic's highest-grossing theater this weekend came from Phoenix.​

*click pic for full list/source*

TOP WEEKENDS: 2ND

*click pic for full list/source*

I'm more happy that Dark Shadows bombed. (relatively)

I wouldn't call it a bomb, 100m budget apparently and that will be made back from OS within a week, two at max.

I doubt the studio were expected a massive OW, they knew they faced stiff competition from TA, so they are probably happy with what it made.

Somnia

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh97/blacoutty/2dxs1_v3.gif[/img]

I'm curious to see how high The Avengers goes. Will it break Avatar's record?

Let's set the bar a bit lower, it needs to beat Titanic first and THEN do another $500 or so million world wide.

MIMIC

Banned
The film's stalwart perf this weekend caused a pair of "Avatar" benchmarks to fall: "Avengers" now is the fastest-growing pic to reach the billion-dollar threshold -- it took "Avatar" four weeks. The superhero pic also outstripped the 2009 blockbuster's previous $75.6 million benchmark as the all-time biggest second weekend tally domestically.

Why? Why did they do this? ;_;

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I wouldn't call it a bomb, 100m budget apparently and that will be made back from OS within a week, two at max.

I doubt the studio were expected a massive OW, they knew they faced stiff competition from TA, so they are probably happy with what it made.

I just greatly dislike Burton/Depp combo movies. It's petty, but I like that it's not an instant-hit anymore.

I just greatly dislike Burton/Depp combo movies. It's petty, but I like that it's not an instant-hit anymore.

It was never going to be an instant hit, but yeah,..I can understand why you'd feel like this. They both lost me as a fan after Charlie and the Choc Factory and cemented my hatred for them with Alice.

Saying that, Depp did pull it some with Rango.

Like I said in the other thread, I think Depp is the most talented actor of his generation, alongside Norton and Bale, but he wastes it on gay pirates and Burton caricatures.

jett

D-Member
I like how Titanic's re-release pushed it into the 2 billion territory, which is a Cameron-exclusive club right now. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom