• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•11-13 •12 - Depp/Burton bask in shadow of Whedon's Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think TDKR could beat Avengers in the long run, but I think it's a long shot. It has going for it, a lack of much competition, but it lacks the extra draw TDK had due to the tragic and public death of a popular young actor, and billed up his "fantastic final performance".

Can't see TDKR rises beating any of these weekend records though, no 3D alone will stop it, it's only chance is the long game.

Not even kinda true. There are some stinkers but i enjoyed most of the films. I am not one of the Titanic/Avatar hater hipsters who must be against anything that gets too popular so I can feel unique and cool.

GAF is full of those guys.

I await the 'LTTP: Avengers isn't that good, guys' threads in a year.

FoneBone

I think Dark Shadows is nothing more than a subject of really, really bad timing. Avengers success hurt it more than anything else.
I doubt that - I just don't think there was much of an audience for a Dark Shadows movie in the first place. WB only started the marketing under two months before release, so I think it's safe to say that they knew well ahead that something was very wrong.

Insane numbers for Avengers. Showing I went to on Friday was sold out.

Not really glad to see Dark Shadows do modest numbers (it actually looks kind of funny), but not really surprised. It's a hard, hard sell to the tween market with Avengers in theaters, and it looks way too dark for kids. Surprising people thought that it would do Alice numbers, the IP has no build in fanbase.

Edit: Avengers was a very fun movie. Looking back on the TDKR preview, it's kind of hard to imagine it doing similar numbers now. Avengers is so light-hearted, flashy, and never asks you to take it too seriously. Meanwhile, Batman has one guy in a mask and the "money shot" of the trailer was a bridge collapsing and Batman flying a plane. Avengers has all of that in the first 20 minutes. Completely destroys the idea that fans don't want fantastical elements in their superhero films. Magic, monsters, explosions, people go to superhero movies to see spectacle. Now give us a Superman movie with fucking Darkseid please.

Don't worry guys, now that Kurtzman is free from Michael Bay, I'm sure People Like Us will be great! It's even got Chris Pine from that one good movie they were involved in, surely it can't fail!

Dark Shadows should have been released in October. Not because of "ooh spooky films have to come out near Halloween!", but because it's not a sodding summer movie season film at all. It doesn't fit in. October/November time is a nice period where it would have done a lot better.

Guys, Spider-Man is coming out too. What about Spider-Man?

Guys?

Hello?

That is a wild card, 3 made a super ass ton but was terrible, so bad in fact even people who like Avatar would know it's shit.

S-M will make a lot but I don't see it getting anywhere near the billion.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Spider-Man is also almost two months off.

Insane numbers for Avengers. Showing I went to on Friday was sold out.

Not really glad to see Dark Shadows do modest numbers (it actually looks kind of funny), but not really surprised. It's a hard, hard sell to the tween market with Avengers in theaters, and it looks way too dark for kids. Surprising people thought that it would do Alice numbers, the IP has no build in fanbase.

Dark Shadows looked good to me because it's a Gothic comedy that's based on a Gothic comedy. Not something Burton was turning into a Gothic comedy.

woodchuck

AYify.png

Twelve $1 billion films.

TDK made more domestically than overseas? The rest of the world has shitty taste in movies.

I think TDKR could beat Avengers in the long run, but I think it's a long shot. It has going for it, a lack of much competition, but it lacks the extra draw TDK had due to the tragic and public death of a popular young actor, and billed up his "fantastic final performance".

Can't see TDKR rises beating any of these weekend records though, no 3D alone will stop it, it's only chance is the long game.

It won't beat TA. 3d tax means it won't ever happen.

GAF is full of those guys.

I await the 'LTTP: Avengers isn't that good, guys' threads in a year.

Blu Ray release. The thing to watch for will be if people can accept the various faults of the movie by then. It's crazy hard to talk about the flaws/problems the movie had without people getting really defensive.

DMczaf

From the other thread.

So, can we expect WB to make a shitty quick 3D conversion of TDKR?

Apparently WB did do a conversion of Inception in 3D (outside of Nolan's tests) that was suppose to be for HBO 3D's debut and Blu-Ray 3D. It was canned soon after it was announced Nolan was back for Batman 3 and helping get Superman back off the ground.

Blu Ray release. The thing to watch for will be if people can accept the various faults of the movie by then. It's crazy hard to talk about the flaws/problems the movie had without people getting really defensive.

The reverse effect on GAF is funny too:

"Guys, Speed Racer was awesome. Not sure why you didn't get it like I did."

Vanish

Guys, Spider-Man is coming out too. What about Spider-Man?

Guys?

Hello?

Yeah I hope that will do a lot better than what most people are expecting. SM 3 did make $891 million and that was without the 3D tax. I know I will be there day 1.

M.D

Yeah I hope that will do a lot better than what most people are expecting. SM 3 did make $891 million and that was without the 3D tax. I know I will be there day 1.

No way it does more than $250 domestic! NO WAY MAN! Look at Avengers... oh wait

It's fucking Spider-Man, of course it will do crazy numbers.

The reverse effect on GAF is funny too:

"Guys, Speed Racer was awesome. Not sure why you didn't get it like I did."

Indeed. I loved SR, but it's not hard to see why not everyone will like it.

Most of the people I've pimped it out to for example, hate the majority of them movie, but love the desert and final races.

Dead

well not really...yet
Thats it! Thanks, a very interesting list.

Edit: Oh it's domestic, i guess it's a lot harder to calculate all worlwide ticket prices along the decades.
Also take into account all the multiple times several of those movies were re-released, the years they came out in, the available media then, etc.

JdFoX187

Banned
Nah, we have to wait for the DVD release so like November?

Blu ray will be out at the end of September unless Disney pulls their stunt like they do with the Pirates films and sits on the release forever. But I see it hitting around September just like the other May Marvel movies have. It's going to sell big no matter when they release it.

Numbers are numbers.

Indeed. I really doubt Disney is upset that Avengers might not have been watched by as many people that saw Gone with the Wind in theaters.

Also take into account all the multiple times several of those movies were re-released, the years they came out in, the available media then, etc.

That's right, especially the Disney films. Snow White, for instance, has been re-released in 1952, 1958, 1967, 1975, 1983, 1987 and 1993.

Dark Shadows looked good to me because it's a Gothic comedy that's based on a Gothic comedy. Not something Burton was turning into a Gothic comedy.

No it wasn't. The original was a gothic soap opera. People might have mocked it because the production values were low, but it was in no way a comedy.

JdFoX187

Banned
No it wasn't. The original was a gothic soap opera. People might have mocked it because the production values were low, but it was in no way a comedy.

Which makes the sting even worse. It would have been perfect for a Sleepy Hollow-esque revival from someone who could really do it justice. Instead, they turn it into a terrible generic Johnny Depp comedy. Good riddance.

syllogism

I wouldn't call it a bomb, 100m budget apparently and that will be made back from OS within a week, two at max.

I doubt the studio were expected a massive OW, they knew they faced stiff competition from TA, so they are probably happy with what it made.
It has to make over $300m WW to turn profit, good luck with that. Anyway, they are not happy at all.

There's an inflated list that multiplies admissions by an average movie ticket price, although anything pre-1980 is a bit questionable, as they admit.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Wow, they REALLY enjoyed Sound of Music back in the day, huh?

Yea, the numbers aren't worth much, but I imagine the rankings are fairly solid. What we really need is for Hollywood to release ticket sales data. That would put all the speculation to rest. This will never happen though because all the records set in the 70s/80s would likely remain unbroken.

Thats domestic though. That list posted above is INTL

There's no way to factor in the international market when you're looking at films released as early as the 1930's.

milanbaros

Member?
I don't really get '3d tax'. If all theatres could charge 3d prices and make more money why wouldn't they? If the customer doesn't want to pay the price they wont. I understand it means less people went but those people also paid a lot more.

I don't really get '3d tax'. If all theatres could charge 3d prices and make more money why wouldn't they? If the customer doesn't want to pay the price they wont. I understand it means less people went but those people also paid a lot more.

Customers don't always have a choice. Some are forced to pay the 3d tax as their local theater isn't showing it in 2d or 2d showings are so limited that trying to get tickets is pointless, so they end up paying for 3d.

I had to travel a few miles to find a 2d showing and even there the ration was 70/30 in favor of 3d. Not everyone can do the same, especially if they have kids or are in a group and just want to watch the movie.

Prices have increased with out 3D tax, but that was a slow slide, just bumping 2D up to the cost of 3D would lead to far to great a loss of audience for it to work out.

Depp should learn from Brad Pitt and Clooney. Make smaller fantastic films like Finding Neverland. Guy has a private island though...

All he needs to do it go to Burton and ask that their next movie not suck balls.

DMczaf

I think the last time I was actually entertained by Depp in a movie was for a 3-5 min long cameo this year. Before that, probably POTC 1. I liked him in the sequels, but each time got progressively worse than the last time he played Capt Jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom