• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•11-13 •12 - Depp/Burton bask in shadow of Whedon's Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It was never going to be an instant hit, but yeah,..I can understand why you'd feel like this. They both lost me as a fan after Charlie and the Choc Factory and cemented my hatred for them with Alice.

Saying that, Depp did pull it some with Rango.

I like Depp, he's a pretty good actor and yeah Rango was excellent. It's just when he's been involved with Burton lately, the films end up feeling like cinematic masturbation, with Depp being Burton's favourite hand.

I'm curious to see how high The Avengers goes. Will it break Avatar's record?

I didn't see James Cameron's name in the Avengers credits the two times I went to see it, so no, it won't.

But I do agree it will definitely take the #3 spot. And an Avengers 2 is definitely going to take its place come 2015-6?

What I really wonder is if Nolan can compete with this. Crazy how a non-sequel hit it this big, especially something WHEDON made.

This depresses me greatly, just look as some of the shit that's on there.

Alice? PoTC 4? Dark of the Moon? Phantom Menace? Jesus Christ. :/
Probably only on there because of the re-release. Just like Titanic got a nice little push.

DMczaf

Alice in Wonderland and Pirates 4 need to be deleted from history.

Depp and Burton just don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuck anymore.

I like how Titanic's re-release pushed it into the 2 billion territory, which is a Cameron-exclusive club right now. :lol

That added $50+ million to it's original $600 million domestic total may just push it out of the Avengers range, :lol

I think Depp is the most talented actor of his generation, alongside Norton and Bale, but he wastes it on gay pirates and Burton caricatures.

I think he's extremely versatile as extrovert or introvert characters, but whenever he plays it straight he's deeply, deeply boring and un-charismatic.

I didn't see James Cameron's name in the Avengers credits the two times I went to see it, so no, it won't.

But I do agree it will definitely take the #3 spot. And an Avengers 2 is definitely going to take its place come 2015-6?

What I really wonder is if Nolan can compete with this. Crazy how a non-sequel hit it this big, especially something WHEDON made.

Probably only on there because of the re-release. Just like Titanic got a nice little push.
Lol, non-sequel. The Avengers had 2 Iron Man movies, a Hulk movie, a Captain America movie, and a Thor movie leading up to it. Cut this disingenuous bullshit.

Blablurn

2dxs1_v3.gif

I'm curious to see how high The Avengers goes. Will it break Avatar's record?

gif of the forever

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This depresses me greatly, just look as some of the shit that's on there.

Alice? PoTC 4? Dark of the Moon? Phantom Menace? Jesus Christ. :/

WEll I guess that's why people have tastes before? Everything there, except for tha POS of Alice, is enjoyable to a certain degree.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The real damning thing about that list (for the Academy) is that only Titanic has won any meaningful Oscars.
I doubt Avengers will catch up. Oh and Cameron is not just the only director with more than one billion+ movie under his belt, he's also the only one that's done it with original IPs. JC ftw.
B-But Dances with Wolves in Space lol

I doubt Avengers will catch up. Oh and Cameron is not just the only director with more than one billion+ movie under his belt, he's also the only one that's done it with original IPs. JC ftw.

Those are some of his weakest films, I can't be happy when middle of the road stuff like Avatar is on that list while Aliens, T1 and 2 aren't.
Dull Cameron rakes in the money far more then Giving-A-Shit Cameron ever did.

What's gonna make $2 billion? The Hobbit? The Avengers won't.

I think Avengers has a shot at it.

B-But Dances with Wolves in Space lol

It making money doesn't stop it being a lazy tech piece.

WEll I guess that's why people have tastes before? Everything there, except for tha POS of Alice, is enjoyable to a certain degree.

Phantom Menace is reaaaaaaaally boring. Apart from that I mostly agree (T3 is enjoyable in how dumb it is, although it's still undeniably bad).

TheMan

1. does dark shadows suck? commercials made it look kind of interesting. the strong dislike for the movie is surprising

2. hunger games still in top 5, good legs.

3. i need to see the avengers.

Tookay

Maybe Depp and Burton are finally being held accountable for the shit they've made the last decade. Doesn't seem like the instant goodwill is there for them anymore.

Watch The Lone Ranger make another gazillion dollars.

Dead

well not really...yet
Those are some of his weakest films, I can't be happy when middle of the road stuff like Avatar is on that list while Aliens, T1 and 2 aren't.
Dull Cameron rakes in the money far more then Giving-A-Shit Cameron ever did.
Yeah Cameron is so past giving a shit, thats why he takes 5 years to make a movie, and develops new technology solely for the purpose of realising a script that can't be made in any other fashion. Oh and also practically rebuilds the fucking Titanic just to film it.

lol.

The only movie on that top 10 list that can claim to be made with as much dedicated professionalism and vision as Camerons movies is LOTR

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Avengers even going for Avatar record will be based upon how it does against MIB3. If MIB were to flop, I think it could happen.

I do think Avengers has a good shot at beating Titanic though.

Maybe Depp and Burton are finally being held accountable for the shit they've made the last decade. Doesn't seem like the instant goodwill is there for them anymore.

Watch The Lone Ranger make another gazillion dollars.

I think Dark Shadows is nothing more than a subject of really, really bad timing. Avengers success hurt it more than anything else.

There are a lot of things you can say about Avatar's failings but "lazy tech piece" is not one of them.

It's script is the sort of thing even Orci/Kurtzman would be ashamed to have written.

Yeah Cameron is so past giving a shit, thats why he takes 5 years to make a movie, and develops new technology solely for the purpose of realising a script that can't be made in any other fashion. Oh and also practically rebuilds the fucking Titanic just to film it.

lol.

The guy lives for his boats and works for his tech boner, he made the tech to make the tech, the movie was the excuse for it.

The worst thing about Depp doing all these shitty eccentric roles is that whenever there's a weird, eccentric movie role up for grabs, a million and one armchair casting directors go "OOH JOHNNY DEPP WOULD BE PERFECT!"

The worst thing about Depp doing all these shitty eccentric roles is that whenever there's a weird, eccentric movie role up for grabs, a million and one armchair casting directors go "OOH JOHNNY DEPP WOULD BE PERFECT!"

I'm just glad one of his future films is an Edgar Wright job. Maybe he'll be forced to give a different performance for the first time in a while.

HeySeuss

I'm going with 60 mil next weekend for Avengers. Word of mouth on this one is amazing and I think it will have better legs than many of you seem to think. Maybe not Avatar legs, but this will keep on going. And TDKR will not match it.

Most of the top list is embarrassing shit, no reason to feel bad about something half decent joining it.

Not even kinda true. There are some stinkers but i enjoyed most of the films. I am not one of the Titanic/Avatar hater hipsters who must be against anything that gets too popular so I can feel unique and cool.

Dead

well not really...yet
Well... your well reasoned and passionate words have won me over.
Thats how stupid a statement your post was.

The dumbfucks who wrote Transformers vs a script which creates a fully realized working world from top to bottom, with a fundamentally strong movie structure leaving nothing to lapses in logic and plot holes.

Its the very embodiment of a script that those hacks could never hatch in a million years. And this is just comparing the shooting script. If you want to talk the original Scriptment, then LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom