• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•11-13 •12 - Depp/Burton bask in shadow of Whedon's Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Prometheus is tough call. Does the average person even know the movie has anything to do with the Alien series? The advertising doesn't really seem to sell that part.

I don't know, for anyone who's seen the Alien movies, that movie certainly has the same look.

The only question is, will people:
1. See that, recognize it, and go to the theatres because of it
2. See that, think it's trying to rip off Alien and skip it
3. Completely miss it

kswiston

I don't know, for anyone who's seen the Alien movies, that movie certainly has the same look.

The only question is, will people:
1. See that, recognize it, and go to the theatres because of it
2. See that, think it's trying to rip off Alien and skip it
3. Completely miss it

I think that people tuned in enough to pick up the link to Alien will also realize that Ridley Scott did both films. Or someone will tell them when it is brought up in conversation.

Liberty4all

Banned
Has anyone here seen BS? I doubt anyone has bothered, but I would be interested in some impressions from those on here. I'm in the mood for a brainless action flick, so it's either BS or stay at home and have an 80's Ahnuld blowout, which I know my GF will not be pleased about.

I saw BS last night. Lots of explosions, fuck yeah America moments, 0 plot, .... I liked. :). But I like terrible B movies, especially those B movies that happen to have a huge budget.

I think it's smart to not sell the Alien link at all in the marketing. There's enough subtle hints that I think anyone who would care can notice the link, but actually mentioning it could turn off people who haven't seen Alien.
Agreed. Anyone who doesn't get the Alien connections is probably someone who would think "Alien as in AVP? I'm not going to see that garbage again!"

Agreed. Anyone who doesn't get the Alien connections is probably someone who would think "Alien as in AVP? I'm not going to see that garbage again!"

It's understandable why some might think that, the only aliens movies to be released in the last 15 years were those godawful AvP movies.

They've damaged the series, there's really no denying that at this point (as much as I'd like to). Hopefully this will help to fix some of that damage, but as someone mentioned, it all comes down to WOM as the advertising hasn't really sold the link to the old Aliens movies those who aren't ardent fans of those movies.

kswiston

It's understandable why some might think that, the only aliens movies to be released in the last 15 years were those godawful AvP movies.

They've damaged the series, there's really no denying that at this point (as much as I'd like to). Hopefully this will help to fix some of that damage, but as someone mentioned, it all comes down to WOM as the advertising hasn't really sold the link to the old Aliens movies those who aren't ardent fans of those movies.

You can blame the fanbase for that. After the Darkhorse comics and the videogames, a lot of people were clamoring for an AvP movie. Not sure what they were expecting.

You can blame the fanbase for that. After the Darkhorse comics and the videogames, a lot of people were clamoring for an AvP movie. Not sure what they were expecting.

I despise those so called fans.

I suspect those same 'fans' will be the most vocal about Prom not featuring hundreds of Xeno's/not being like Alien/s.

johnsmith

remember me
What makes people think Prometheus will do so much better than the other alien movies? Based on past performance of the series, genre, and rating it'll be lucky to break 200m worldwide.

What makes people think Prometheus will do so much better than the other alien movies? Based on past performance of the series, genre, and rating it'll be lucky to break 200m worldwide.

I think people are hungry for another gritty, epic sci fi alien movie that isn't directed by Michael bay. I have no evidence to back that up, just a gut feeling.

JdFoX187

Banned

All of the Alien films have grossed between $100-165 million worldwide with Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection really being buoyed by their international numbers. You factor in Ridley Scott returning to the series, the general hype that seems to be building around the film as it gets closer to release, the solid marketing campaign, 3D tax and the ridiculous expansion of the international market, I could see Prometheus doing $200 million internationally by itself. Domestic total is going to be the one to watch.

kswiston

The first two Alien films made pretty big money for their time period. Adjusted for inflation, Alien made close to $250M. No reason why a good modern version along the lines of the first (or second) film can't do $150M now. Especially with 3D. Also, the films are popular overseas. AvP: Requiem's production values were barely above straight to dvd level and even that film made close to $130M worldwide.

EDIT: You can't judge international performance potential of Prometheus based on the older films. Even Alien Resurrection came out before the international market took off. The market was really weak around the times of Alien and Aliens. Blockbusters used to make 55-70% of their earnings domestically and 30-45% of their earnings internationally in the 80s. Now it is reversed.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oh he's the guy who made The Kingdom? Yeah that's not really surprising then.

Also how does he still get to make movies? All the ones he made bombed pretty badly outside of Hancock and that one obviously did well because of Will Smith.

He created Friday Night Lights man, and made the movie.

The one great thing he has done.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Prometheus is the most 3D movie since Hugo. I hate 3D crap, and I'll still be there day 1 in IMAX 3D.
Ditto.

Prometheus will probably open to high 20's -mid 30's. 50mil is a dream, but you never know. 40 mil would probably be a run away success. With 30's mil being the high point of expectation and mid-high 20's being the low point.

Honestly, if it breaks 100mil domestic, I think that would be on the positive side. People think its going to hit 200mil domestic are out of their damn minds. He doesn't have a single flick near it, and I think only Gladiator, and Hannibal safely got over the 100mil mark. Everything else was under or barely over.

I don't really see it taking off in America sadly enough. The good news is that Scott's films have fair better worldwide. And if we take in the older Alien franchises, they actually performed pretty well worldwide(Alien3 for example was one of the earlier examples of this). They also seem to enjoy Scifi and 3D more.

And if the film is actually good. I think WoM can take it + Oscar noms.

The commercials for Prometheus are really well done; lots of action and mentions From the director of Alien, Blade Runner and Gladiator. Amazing cast, great director and rated R. Amazing word of mouth will be a huge key.

Prometheus Ad

The trailers are giving way too much away for my taste. I look forward to the movie and will see it opening week.

The horror aspect may be a turn off for many. You have to go pretty far down the list of biggest box office grosses before you hit a horror movie.

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross

43. Sixth Sense
59. Jaws

Those are the only two in the top 100. The movie will do fine by normal standards but I do not see blockbuster status. I don't even see any rated R flicks in the top 50.

G-Fex

LOL BATTLESHIP SUNK!

LOL Taylor Kitsch fucking SUCKS.

And Avengers is winning that money.

Somebody call Good Job Bob's Momma.

LOL BATTLESHIP SUNK!

LOL Taylor Kitsch fucking SUCKS.

And Avengers is winning that money.

Somebody call Good Job Bob's Momma.

Yoogeeoh avatar mixed with a wrestling avatar...you should throw in a battleship picture in your avatar to make it the complete tri-force of shit.

JdFoX187

Banned
The trailers are giving way too much away for my taste. I look forward to the movie and will see it opening week.

The horror aspect may be a turn off for many. You have to go pretty far down the list of biggest box office grosses before you hit a horror movie.

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross

43. Sixth Sense
59. Jaws

Those are the only two in the top 100. The movie will do fine by normal standards but I do not see blockbuster status. I don't even see any rated R flicks in the top 50.

Passion of the Christ was R rated. The Matrix at no. 51 is R rated. I think the movie is going to do fine. Apparently it was made for around $100 million, so it should make money at the box office if it performs as well as some sites are predicting. No one expects it to break records, but it should do extremely respectable.

kswiston

Honestly, if it breaks 100mil domestic, I think that would be on the positive side. People think its going to hit 200mil domestic are out of their damn minds. He doesn't have a single flick near it, and I think only Gladiator, and Hannibal safely got over the 100mil mark. Everything else was under or barely over.

Ridley Scott has 5 films over $100M. Only 2 of those were under $110M. Also Gladiator made $187M which would classify as "near 200M" to most people. I don't see 200M either, but Ridley Scott has done period pieces and dramas for the past 20 years, so its hard to judge how this film will do simply by looking at his past work.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Prometheus will not bomb. It will also not destroy box office records. Falling in that middle ground is perfectly fine.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Passion of the Christ was R rated. The Matrix at no. 51 is R rated. I think the movie is going to do fine. Apparently it was made for around $100 million, so it should make money at the box office if it performs as well as some sites are predicting. No one expects it to break records, but it should do extremely respectable.

Passion cannot be compared to other R rated movies.

MIMIC

Banned
I think people are hungry for another gritty, epic sci fi alien movie that isn't directed by Michael bay. I have no evidence to back that up, just a gut feeling.

I've never seen any of the Alien movies but I will be seeing Prometheus on opening day. Looks like a great, thrilling film. I have that gut feeling, too. I think it's gonna do really well.

Also, saw Avengers last night. It was OK. I'd liken it with Transformers (the first one). Although I found the humor in Avengers to be a little dull and irritating.

I'm so happy Battleship is tanking domestically. A shitty movie that doesn't even do anything special with the product it's adapts from deserves to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom