• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•11-13 •12 - Depp/Burton bask in shadow of Whedon's Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here seen BS? I doubt anyone has bothered, but I would be interested in some impressions from those on here. I'm in the mood for a brainless action flick, so it's either BS or stay at home and have an 80's Ahnuld blowout, which I know my GF will not be pleased about.

Busty

Banned
Wonder if Universal will push Spielberg more to get Jurassic Park IV off the ground now.

The thing about Spielberg is (especially with stuff produced through his Amblin label) he takes such a massive chunk of the back end it's often not really worth it.

For a 'new' film (such as a co-pro with Dreamworks) then a deal can always be made but for a sequel to a franchise that has already made a ton of money you can bet your ass that Spielberg will want paid son.

Hahahaha. Well, Universal sure is having a bad day, but Busty is having fun and that's all that matters. <3

Hahahaha. This is very true.

I've gotten enormous amount of enjoyment from Battleship it's just ironic that none of it has actually come from a single frame of the film itself.

I called Battleshits being a flop a while ago.

Mass audiences aren't willing to swallow that creatively bankrupt piece of trash.

so did I. I called anything over 30 million "a stretch" and got flamed for it.

26 million seems crazy low though. bomb and a half

Has anyone here seen BS? I doubt anyone has bothered, but I would be interested in some impressions from those on here. I'm in the mood for a brainless action flick, so it's either BS or stay at home and have an 80's Ahnuld blowout, which I know my GF will not be pleased about.

Why not take the money you would have spent to see BS, and rent/buy something that doesn't suck instead. Plenty of great films fly under the radar all the time.

Watch Avengers again.

duckroll

I know a few people who saw it. None of them recommended it after that, nor did they have anything great or horrible to say about it. It seems like a serviceable but totally mundane "Summer effects blockbuster" movie, which doesn't offend but has nothing original at all to offer. The worst kind imo. Doesn't even seem to be bad enough to make fun of much.

Look at this shit:

YxhzI.png

Prometheus to make bank confirmed.

Alrus

According to a few friends, it's just not that fun which is pretty damning for an action movie.

Watch Avengers again.

lol, no.

Seriously, once was enough until the BR. This isn't something exclusive to TA, I rarely watch the same movie twice in theaters.

The only reasons I would do is if my first time was ruined by others or it's a movie I'm very hyped for. Prometheus will probably be the first movie since Return of the King I'll watch more than once in theaters.

I know a few people who saw it. None of them recommended it after that, nor did they have anything great or horrible to say about it. It seems like a serviceable but totally mundane "Summer effects blockbuster" movie, which doesn't offend but has nothing original at all to offer. The worst kind imo. Doesn't even seem to be bad enough to make fun of much.

Cheers. More money to put towards provisions for a Sunday full of Ahnuld movies. Think I'll watch Commando first, follow that with Predator, then Total Recall and finish with either True Lies or Kindergarten Cop.

Now to convince the GF....

According to a few friends, it's just not that fun which is pretty damning for an action movie.

Oh dear. TK manages to suck even the fun out of movies. Send the guy to the actors abyss already.

Is there a rough rule of thumb to determine whether or not a movie made its money back? I'm assuming you can't just ask "Did box office gross exceed production cost".

If the final BO is 2.5 times the budget is typically the safe bet.

The take the theaters get increases the longer a movie is playing.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
What are the expectations for Prometheus anyway? What's the bar for it to have done much better than expected?

If the 125 million budget is true, then 300million+ Worldwide should be a sound number.

Opening, if tracking actually tops 50mil. I'd be surprised.

Ridley327

Internationally? ($125m) Yup. No problem.

In North America? ($250m) A bit of a stretch I'd have thought.

It's tough when the most comparable R-rated film that did well was The Matrix Reloaded, and that topped out at $280m. It's got a ton of hype going for it, but I don't know if it has that much hype to come close to that total, let alone surpass it.

Beat Star Trek?

I wouldn't really compare the two. ST was PG-13 and wasn't in 3d.

R rating will hold back Prom but 3d tax might help to boost its number, all depends on how widely it opens in 3d of course, hoping it's more in favor of 2d so I don't have to travel too far to watch it.

I, personally don't see Prom breaking 200m in the US, might break it OS, but domestic will be 150 - 180m.

I wouldn't really compare the two. ST was PG-13 and wasn't in 3d.

R rating will hold back Prom but 3d tax might help to boost its number, all depends on how widely it opens in 3d of course, hoping it's more in favor of 2d so I don't have to travel too far to watch it.

I, personally don't see Prom breaking 200m in the US, might break it OS, but domestic will be 100 - 180m.
You're gonna want to watch Prom in 3D.

kswiston

Internationally? ($125m) Yup. No problem.

In North America? ($250m) A bit of a stretch I'd have thought.

$250M domestically won't happen with an R rating in the summer. Only 4 rated R flicks have ever passed $250M domestically. The Matrix Reloaded, both Hangover films, and Passion of the Christ. I don't think anyone needs an explanation on why Prometheus is not like those 4 films.

I think $150M domestic would be a good tally for an R-rated sci-fi film. Worldwide, maybe $350M. It is going to get 13-15 ratings outside the US, so the film's rating shouldn't hurt its international grosses.

$250M domestically won't happen with an R rating in the summer. Only 4 rated R flicks have ever passed $250M domestically. The Matrix Reloaded, both Hangover films, and Passion of the Christ. I don't think anyone needs an explanation on why Prometheus is not like those 4 films.

I think $150M domestic would be a good tally for an R-rated sci-fi film. Worldwide, maybe $350M. It is going to get 13-15 ratings outside the US, so the film's rating shouldn't hurt its international grosses.
Prometheus has one thing that those films don't have: Fassbender.

3D

Kusagari

Prometheus won't do nearly as well as some of you hope I'm afraid.

It will do very well for what it is, but it will be called a 'flop' by people on here because they don't realize how hard it is for a movie like Prometheus to even break 100m - which it will do.

Ripclawe

Banned
Battleship won't be a bomb in the john carter sense when you add in dvd/blu ray sales, ppv, tv rights blah blah blah. probably a waterworld deal where it barely makes something

kswiston

Prometheus has one thing that those films don't have: Fassbender.

3D

Internationally that may help. I want to stay conservative for the time being because Sci Fi is hard to predict overseas, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it makes 300M+ overseas. Depends on the reception.

I don't think 3D will change things that much domestically. It might push it closer to $200M than it would get otherwise, but 9 of the top 15 domestic totals for 3D films were for animated films. The other 6 live action films were pretty kid friendly, even for PG-13 films.

kswiston

Prometheus will do far better than the people who think we're setting ourselves up for disappointment think it it will do... it'll do far better than that.

What number is that in your mind?

Personally I don't think Prometheus will do anything close to Inception numbers, but at the same time, it won't do Watchmen numbers either.

Tobor

Just wondering why you responded to my reply to Speedymanic..

Anyways, yeah I know you hate 3D. What was the film you watched in 3D to make you hate it so much? Avatar?

Cause I felt like it. /shrugs

As to your question, Avatar was supposed to be the absolute pinnacle of 3D, the reason for it to exist, and it did nothing for me. Then I saw Clash of the Titans, friends dragged me kicking and screaming, and the 3D was so bad my eyes bled. I'm not paying a surcharge for that again if I can help it.

I wish there was a way to see The Hobbit in 48FPS 2D.

What number is that in your mind?

Personally I don't think Prometheus will do anything close to Inception numbers, but at the same time, it won't do Watchmen numbers either.
Conservatively, I think it'll be able to blow past $200m if the reception is great. I think the marketing has been extremely effective, and the marketplace is opening right up for it.

It will end between 150-180m. Won't reach 200m.

You're gonna want to watch Prom in 3D.

Isn't it post production 3d? I hate paying for 3d unless the movie was filmed with 3d in mind.

As hyped as I am for the movie, I dare not search out any info on it in case I end up reading a spoiler, so if you could confirm what 3d it is, that'd be great.

Was seriously pissed after watching the trailer that played before TA, after going out of my way to avoid all spoilers, I end up watching a trailer full of them.

As to your question, Avatar was supposed to be the absolute pinnacle of 3D, the reason for it to exist, and it did nothing for me. Then I saw Clash of the Titans, friends dragged me kicking and screaming, and the 3D was so bad my eyes bled. I'm not paying a surcharge for that again if I can help it.

Clash of the Titans is widely known for having absolutely shit 3D; I think you should at least give it one more chance with Prometheus, if you're still not liking it than whatever.

Solo thinks it's gonna do more then 400m

lol
I'll throw this post in my crow box.

Isn't it post production 3d? I hate paying for 3d unless the movie was filmed with 3d in mind.

As hyped as I am for the movie, I dare not search out any info on it in case I end up reading a spoiler, so if you could confirm what 3d it is, that'd be great.

Was seriously pissed after watching the trailer that played before TA, after going out of my way to avoid all spoilers, I end up watching a trailer full of them.
It was shot in 3D, Scott is a big proponent.

I''ve heard about how bad the 3d was in Clash. A friend claimed most of the movie wasn't even in 3d, only a few action scenes, the rest of the movie was watchable without wearing the glasses.

Not sure it was an exaggeration on his part, wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't though.

It was shot in 3D, Scott is a big proponent.

This changes everything, guess I'll be watching it in 3d. Thanks of the info.

GloveSlap

Prometheus is tough call. Does the average person even know the movie has anything to do with the Alien series? The advertising doesn't really seem to sell that part.

Prometheus is tough call. Does the average person even know the movie has anything to do with the Alien series? The advertising doesn't really seem to sell that part.

I think that's intentional (not selling it as part of the Alien series), at least I remember reading as much. Someone will be able to confirm/deny.

duckroll

Honestly I don't really know what Fox is doing with the movie, and I think they don't either. I haven't really been feeling the marketing at all. It doesn't scream blockbuster. The people who seem to know a lot about the movie are people like us who will be watching it anyway. My personal view is that the marketing seems to lack reach, but we'll see.

GloveSlap

I think that's intentional (not selling it as part of the Alien series), at least I remember reading as much. Someone will be able to confirm/deny.

Don't get me wrong, I like the way the trailer doesn't really show anything or whore that part of it out. It just makes it hard to predict how big its going to be. I'm sure the Alien link could spread through word of mouth.

Kusagari

I think it's smart to not sell the Alien link at all in the marketing. There's enough subtle hints that I think anyone who would care can notice the link, but actually mentioning it could turn off people who haven't seen Alien.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom