• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WNBA Coming to NBA Live 18

jmizzal

Finally announced, I learned about this last year while I was at EA testing Live 18, it was a pretty big secret over there had to sign a NDA.

"EA Sports took the same approach to adding the WNBA as they do with every professional league, motion capturing players like 2017 first overall pick Kelsey Plum of the San Antonio Stars and adding facial scans for high profile players like Maya Moore, Sylvia Fowles, Diana Taurasi, and others. EA says the “teams and player skills have been specifically balanced to reflect the unique playstyle of the league.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=38&v=8E5z7czdnME

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...-makes-video-game-debut-with-nba-live-18.aspx

Oh hell yeah, I've been waiting for this for years. Too bad the WNBA's completely gone down the drain in terms of jersey design, hope we can get retro jerseys.

Archimedes10

Neo Member
BLS1Dc-CAAAMluY.jpg

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
I really wish NBA 2k had the license, I would have loved to play this.

J-Skee

It's a shame that it has taken this long for the WNBA to finally make a video game appearance, but it's welcome, for sure. Surprised NBA 2K never did this.

Boke1879

This is honestly great, but I just can't see myself buying Live though.

Is this like a deal with EA or can 2k do something like this in the future?

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
How many WNBA players can dunk like that girl in the trailer? Was that Brittney? My son loves CP3 so he might wanna bang out with this...wait this is "Live"? Nevermind.

I'll buy NBALIVE for 10 years straight if EA lets NFL2K to return.

Kolx

They can add whatever they want. As long as the core game is shit people would still prefer nba 2k.

saltyramen

This is lowkey dope. Now they have the Drew League and some park play, this, and the standard NBA games. Lots of variety. Excited for the demo on the 11th. It'd be really nice to have two great basketball games.

PR_rambo

Banned
Very sad to see the WNBA will be joining Kendrick Lamar's DNA as the few good things wasted on the hot garbage that is NBA Live

Head.spawn

I mean, not that I give a crap about any of the current basketball games, but I'm actually shocked it took this long.

I highly doubt it. The WNBA finals last year had less than 500,000 viewers, I'm guessing that licensing doesn't cost much.

The NBA also owns it, so very well may have thrown in the license for free to try and get the league more exposure. The NBA has effectively been subsidizing the WNBA for years. If not for their financial backing it would have died years ago.

That's cool, but I don't see that really helping them against 2K. Looking forward to seeing the WNBA in 2K next year!
Yeah, that seems like the most likely outcome from this. Live isn't going to become a hit, but this feature could bring in a new audience.

An audience 2K can immediately scoop up in 2018 by making the same deal with the league.

Wonder how many people will actually play it.

They did this with FIFA and almost no one plays it.

According to Xbox Live something like 2% off all people completed the WIC which doesn't take long. 3% scored 5 goals in the Womens Football and like 12% booted up the game mode.

Shocked that this hasn't been in any basketball game yet. I'm sure there are many female gamers out there who love basketball, and can now put themselves on a WNBA team. It probably won't do much for EA in terms of sales over 2K, but good on them for doing it anyway.

Top Bottom