• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WNBA Coming to NBA Live 18

KSweeley

I totally agree with WNBA player Breanna Stewart that this should've happened already, including the entire WNBA in a video game.

cHinzo

The game play is looking really good though. The new dribbling mechanics are on point, the on ball defense is realistic, the animations are so much better and less canned than 2K...Looking like Live for me this year for the first time since I can remember. 2K needs to fix a lot of things with their game play like the scripted rebounds, long and slow animations when stopping and starting with a player, contact being scripted and canned instead of physics based(like Live is this year). Finally getting the competition back it seems.

Pretty much. Also u can actually seem to pass the ball around instead of the AI having magnetic hands to suck all the balls in and having eyes in the back of their heads. 2K's game hardly improves each year and the animations and scripted gameplay sucks (just like their servers). Did they even make a new park this year? Too bad Live doesn't come out on PC, so there is not much competition for 2K.

Edit: oh and their microtransactions system sucks.

KSweeley

I'm wondering why it seems like the only EA Sports game that's available for PC is FIFA, I haven't seen NBA Live or Madden on PC.

saltyramen

As a side note: Who is supposed to be on the cover of this game.. cover boys usually announced months prior and this game is slated to come out next month..

Kilau

Live is coming back to consoles? Cool. I hate the direction 2k has gone so I'll keep my eyes on this.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
As a supporter of basketball in all forms, I like this. It was also leaked a while ago. I was excited that a demo is out next week...then I got sad when I saw that the full game isn't coming out until DECEMBER. WTF?

samred

I'm very concerned about how faces are going to turn out in this one, and the mess of shitposts that result from them. Also curious how the gameplay is tuned for the very major differences between NBA and WNBA play (or if the tuning winds up all messed up and you start seeing dunks from players who simply never dunk in real life). This'll be an interesting one to watch, whether it succeeds or fails.

Dragun619

That's pretty dope but NBA Live though? Man, I Need to see how the game pans out, Otherwise I hope 2k adds WNBA as well. Seeing how 2K expanded MyGM, They gotta put in a GM option to run an NBA & WNBA franchise for a city.

As a supporter of basketball in all forms, I like this. It was also leaked a while ago. I was excited that a demo is out next week...then I got sad when I saw that the full game isn't coming out until DECEMBER. WTF?
Anything that says December is likely a place holder date. It's apparently aiming for a September release date as it stands right now.

Yup, and I would be shocked if it ever changes.

I actually have enjoyed watching the WNBA in person a few times, that said I don't know anyone who gives the slightest shit about it. Hell my wife wouldn't go to the game when I had free tickets. It's better than the NCAA garbage that masquerades as basketball as well.

I used to be of the mindset that the NBA should just let it die. I've tried watching a few games and the quality is just not good. It's not for me. But the NBA is printing money right now. They have it shooting out of their assholes. That they are using some of that to subsidize a product that might make Young girls and women feel a little more included in what is normally a male dominated industry is a good thing.

Ovid

WNBA might have a small fanbase but... so does NBA Live. Any step to try to win some hearts and minds is probably a good idea. This is cool.

Also making a good game would probably help
It so crazy to read comments like this.

15 years ago Live and Madden were THE sports games you had to have. Now it's considered trash tier. If you told me back then that people would prefer 2K over Live back then I would have thought you were crazy.

2K was amazing on Dreamcast though. It basically made me hate Live.

As for the WNBA, I was calling for this back in the early-mid 2000's. Surprised it took so long.

Very cool. Good reason to pick up Live for the first time in many years. Excited to school some people with Della Donne. And play as my favorite players from my Lady Terps. My family's going to love this, especially my little girl.

Wow people in here calling people sexist? Is it sexist to say they don't dunk or play very aggressive in the WNBA... I'd take the 5$ man sorry ladies. WNBA is super boring.
I agree, but to be fair, not too many people are saying it's sexist to not like the WNBA.

djp6

I'd definitely rather have $5 over some soccer shit. But that pic is still sexist.

how is it sexist?? our national female football(Ghana) team is arguably more successful compared with the male team yet no one really cares about them unless they are in a semi-final or something(kinda sad) and that's only because of a misplaced sense of national pride, this is because their matches are really not that entertaining to watch even worse than our local league(which no one really cares for either)

benjipwns

Banned
As a side note: Who is supposed to be on the cover of this game.. cover boys usually announced months prior and this game is slated to come out next month..
It's James Harden, they accidentally tweeted out a behind the scenes of the announcement video shoot.

Live hasn't been made in years on any platform since it's a piece of shit, and Madden had poor sales on the pc.
Live is coming back to consoles? Cool. I hate the direction 2k has gone so I'll keep my eyes on this.
Live had a current gen console release every year since 2013 except last year, when they decided that the title finally needed a two year dev cycle after all (after years of sub 60 metacritics and getting crushed by 2K's media blitzes) and the Mobile team in EA instead put out a Mobile version.

I'm wondering why it seems like the only EA Sports game that's available for PC is FIFA, I haven't seen NBA Live or Madden on PC.
FIFA sells worldwide which has a greater PC sales base as a share vs. U.S.

Live used to be the second best PC seller but I don't know if that would be the case now that 2K has taken over PC and has the Euroleague license.

FIFA and Madden have both moved over to Frostbite now, which I assume has to be a slight point in PC's favor compared to when everything sports was on Ignite.

mindsale

I think they should have both a male and female cover athlete, even if my knowledge of female basketball players is limited to Rebecca Lobo, Katie Lou Samuelson, and Lola Rabbit.

Top Bottom