• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolf gets euthanized after child sticks fingers through gate and gets bitten

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyergram

All the people saying fuck the parents I think rabies shots are really painful are that's probably why they didn't put their child though them. If anything just say fuck zoos because there by nature pretty messed up concepts really.

Jenenser

that poor wolf.... bunch of useless parents.

Fuck those people

I was bitten by a radioactive wolf as a teen and look at how I turned out

image.php

Ke0

I don't understand the "we don't want to check for rabies" = kill the wolf.

How does killing the wolf prevent having to check their kid for rabies? They even say it twice.

When a wild animal bites a person, there usually are two options: give the person anti-rabies prophylaxis or euthanize the animal, said Anne Boyce, environmental health supervisor for the Winnebago County Health Department.

What does this mean? You get bit by a rabid animal and it's like "we'll kill the animal, no need for a rabies shot?" Like does the rabies magically go away when the animal dies? Is this like being a vampire in which if you kill the sire all of his/her progenies die?

How does killing the wolf prevent having to check their kid for rabies? They even say it twice.

What does this mean? You get bit by a rabid animal and it's like "we'll kill the animal, no need for a rabies shot?" Like does the rabies magically go away when the animal dies? Is this like being a vampire in which if you kill the sire all of his/her progenies die?
If the animal doesn't have rabies then there's no need for the shots. It's not to get rid of the rabies in the person bitten, it's to see if the shots are necessary rather than just getting them no matter what.

Stupid parents for not watching their kid, but at the same time how is it that easy to get into a restricted area of the zoo where there are dangerous predators?

danm999

They test for rabies by taking a brain sample for the wolf, then they know if they need to give the kid the rabies shot or not.

Of course, you could just give the kid the rabies shot regardless, and not need to kill the wolf, but apparently procedure here is to err on the side of caution and euthanise the animal.

dyergram

They test for rabies by taking a brain sample for the wolf, then they know if they need to give the kid the rabies shot or not.

Of course, you could just give the kid the rabies shot regardless, and not need to kill the wolf, but apparently procedure here is to err on the side of caution and euthanise the animal.
It's not a shot its a course of 14 shots. So instead of giving a child 14 injections they kill the wolf check if it had rabies, if it did they would of had to give the kid 14 shots. (Or euthanise the kid as well presumably)

Parents entirely to blame.
I'm not willing to go that far. I think blame can also be placed on the zoo not having adequate protections. Things happen, and someone can lose track of his child for a minute and that's all it really takes. There's plenty of blame for both parties. Only blameless parties here are the child and the wolf.

It's not a shot its a course of 14 shots. So instead of giving a child 14 injections they kill the wolf check if it had rabies, if it did they would of had to give the kid 14 shots. (Or euthanise the kid as well presumably)
It's a series of four shots over 14 days. 5 if the immune system is previously compromised. And treatment can be stopped if the animal does not show symptoms after 10 days.

Edit: And that's someone with no previous vaccine. It is less if the person has received rabies shots before.

danm999

Oh man that'd make the story really go nuts.

Though IIRC there were a few cases a few years ago of people surviving rabies but it wasn't easy or pleasant.

I don't know about zoos wherever you are or this is, but I'd expect to allow a child to wander around a bit by themself without getting bitten by a vicious animal. Was there zero security in this place? How do you just wander into a non-public area?

If you expect for your children to stick their hands into animal enclosures with impunity, don't have children.

Jarmel

Banned
Maurer said the state Division of Public Health mandated authorities kill the animal after the child's parents said they did not want to put their child through rabies shots.

Bad parenting led to this mess....

Two Words

"Okay you have two options, either get a harmless little poke with a syringe or KILL THE ANIMAL YOU WERE TOO STUPID TO STAY AWAY FROM"

"we'll take the latter doc, I don't want my child to get autism, fuck the wolves"

?
Aren't rabies shots more involved? Like shots directly in the stomach several times? Not saying that makes it okay, but the truth is that the not just a normal shot.

params7

Banned
All the people saying fuck the parents I think rabies shots are really painful are that's probably why they didn't put their child though them. If anything just say fuck zoos because there by nature pretty messed up concepts really.

This. Zoos are fucked up. Just let them be in a wildlife reserve and take a tour in a jeep if you want to see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom