• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Guy.brush

Had a weird bug in the castle when I stealthed. I approached a Robo-Shepard from behind, the thing was sitting down. I triggered the takedown, stabbed him and then the corpse started to slowly float upwards towards the ceiling and got stuck there.
The officers and soldiers apparently saw that and alarm broke out.
Really freaky. First I thought the game wanted to introduce some sort of zero-g occultist game mechanic, but it was a bug.

Dennis

Banned
Only in Chapter 2 so far but it is a mixed bag.
The rocky cliffside/shore outside in Chapter 1 basically looked last-gen. Like Doom3 levels of outside rendering ineptitude. Once you are inside, the game often looks beautiful, but that is mainly the art direction, not render features. There are screenspace reflections on lots of materials, fake sun rays, but most materials look basic. Haven't seen anything like POM,SILPOM or nicely tessellated objects yet.
Player water interaction is non existent from what I saw, the "volumetric" sun rays feel a bit low res. There are also some distance fog blending issues with Deathshead's tower in the background.
And even on ULTRA textures on a TITAN with 6GB VRAM, 32GB RAM and a fast SSD you occasionally see the id tech5 typical low res texture smear and small object pop in when you rotate around fast.

Also no AA method inside the menu. You can force it with CVARs apparently but read reports of it becoming unstable.

But all that really doesn't matter. The gunplay is super satisfying. Every shot counts and feels powerful and 60fps is nice.
That doesn't sound so good.

Is the combat run-and-gun or more involved and tactical?

Sullichin

That doesn't sound so good.

Is the combat run-and-gun or more involved and tactical?
it's a good mix of run and gun and tactical shooting. If you just go guns blazing down a hallway you'll probably die really fast. There's a really well implemented lean mechanic that lets you peek around corners. Lots of the cover is destructible.

I'm 12-13 years old, home from school on a snow day, sipping hot chocolate while playing Goldeneye all over again.

That's is how this game makes me feel. Sure there are probably valid criticisms, but I just can't hear them.

DukeBobby

I love the completely pointless driving section in this game.

It's literally 5 seconds long and has a tutorial pop-up and everything.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I love the completely pointless driving section in this game.

It's literally 5 seconds long and has a tutorial pop-up and everything.

I forgot it even happened until you just mentioned it.
KuGsj.gif

Holy shit at the events towards the end of
chapter 8.

That was fantastic, the intro where the baby is held by its leg and then shot, the jail break, seeing the general survive after both having her jaw crushed and then being thrown like a rag doll. This game really hasn't pulled any punches so far and I love it.

I can't help but think she'll be back, possibly as an end game or near end game boss. Can't wait.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
In terms of stealth and the guards noticing you they are roughly on the same level as the guards in the Metal Gear games.
Seriously, stealth in this game feels really Metal Gear-ish somehow.
That is a good thing.

the reason why the AI are idiots is that they designed the game to take the "stealth" system into consideration. Its pretty easy to go around and shank everyone as long as the AI are literally not facing each other. Its odd how the dogs dont even "smell" the player. As have knifed (melee swipe) multiple times.

Still great game and its exactly what I expected it to be an amusing shooter.

Feindflug

A friend of mine got the game a few days ago and yesterday I played it for about an hour or so, I have to say that I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Machine Games really nailed the shooting/gunplay on this one.

I'm definitely getting the 360 version tomorrow...my 250gb HDD is ready! :D

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Getting the perk for killing people with thrown back grenades was a giant pain in the arse.

All the grenade perks are a pain since tesla grenades seem much weaker than the frags in the prologue. I can't for the life of me manage to get any kills on mechanical enemies.

Spineker

Banned
All the grenade perks are a pain since tesla grenades seem much weaker than the frags in the prologue. I can't for the life of me manage to get any kills on mechanical enemies.

Yeah and grenades seem few and far between in most levels. I guess the only way to do it is to reload checkpoints.

Getting the perk for killing people with thrown back grenades was a giant pain in the arse.

I got the first one totally by accident during the prologue. I didn't even know you could throw back grenades at that point. I chucked two grenades, crouched behind cover and then got the perk pop up and achievement.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So I just completed the campaign in the
Wyatt Timeline
. Is the
Fergus Timeline
any different or does it just replace the said NPC?

ElRenoRaven

Wow. That ending. Great game. There are some technical bugs that need fixing but Without a doubt the game was awesome. I'll be replaying it often I think.

Andrew.

Banned
Bit of drunk hyperbole last night when I claimed this is one of the best games I've ever played in my life.

It is however the best FPS I've played since the original BioShock and Half Life 2 Episode 2 most definitely.

eshwaaz

For mechanical enemies: set off the alarm in an area with an officer. When the drones show up, go into a small room with a low ceiling. When the drones follow you in near ground level, blow them up with grenades.

Metal-Geo

So I just completed the campaign in the
Wyatt Timeline
. Is the
Fergus Timeline
any different or does it just replace the said NPC?
There are a few differences besides NPC replacements. This might spoil the 'surprise':
Instead of lock-picking you'll be hot-wiring. This means you'll get to use different doors and open different safes throughout the game. But as you know, they're pretty scarce throughout the game.
One of the Resistance characters, namely J, will be replaced with a different character as well. This also alters two rooms in the Resistance hideout.
Instead of armour upgrades, you'll be finding health upgrades.

SkylineRKR

Holy shit at the events towards the end of
chapter 8.

That was fantastic, the intro where the baby is held by its leg and then shot, the jail break, seeing the general survive after both having her jaw crushed and then being thrown like a rag doll. This game really hasn't pulled any punches so far and I love it.

I can't help but think she'll be back, possibly as an end game or near end game boss. Can't wait.

I loved

how Frau Engel appears dual wielding machineguns like a true motherfucker

Dominator

For the mechanical grenade kills perk, I just found a section where I had a grenade and those little flying turrets come at you. If you throw a grenade at them they suck up the grenade and it sticks to them killing them. Counts towards the perk.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
For mechanical enemies: set off the alarm in an area with an officer. When the drones show up, go into a small room with a low ceiling. When the drones follow you in near ground level, blow them up with grenades.

For the mechanical grenade kills perk, I just found a section where I had a grenade and those little flying turrets come at you. If you throw a grenade at them they suck up the grenade and it sticks to them killing them. Counts towards the perk.
THANK YOU

I loved

how Frau Engel appears dual wielding machineguns like a true motherfucker

I actually came to post this. Such an awesome moment. Yup,
there's no way that's the last we've seen of her. She'll definitely be back and I wouldn't be surprised if she's mechanised when we do encounter her again.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I've had it for years. ;)

4 Sep 2011 Purchase Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena $6.66

I'm just bad at finishing games, but in my defence it wasn't myself that stopped my Wolf14 playthrough:

Bah, looks like I'm done with Wolf14 for the foreseeable future.

First Black Flag and now Wolf14. Games hate me. :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Epic should sell these guys the Bulletstorm IP.

Considering Epic just pulled Bulletstorm from sale instead of bothering to even so much as patch in offline profile support I'd wager a sale of the IP would also be thrown into the Too Hard Basket. :p "We have to sign documents!? Bugger that!"

Levyne

Banned
I struggled in that fight a bit. I forget what I eventually did. Can you have the scoped LKW by then? I think I made sure to learn the grenade locations to use on the two backpack guys that appear.

So I just experienced the most annoying glitch in my life, during the beginning of Chapter 14.
I'm in the room you rope into right after the shootout in the crashed shuttle. In that previous shootout, I used almost all of my ammo, and my health was down to 20.

I've spent the last 2 hours being killed over and over again, wondering how the fuck I was supposed to get past this part with 2 AR Marksmen shots, 2 shots worth of charge on my Lasercraftwerk, 20 pistol bullets, and 20 health.

After frustration set in, I wondered if I could start the level over and ignore the shootout in the shuttle just to have some ammo and health. Well that worked, but an even greater surprise was that when I landed in the room again it was packed with ammo, guns, health and armor! Due to this bug, the room was absolutely barren, and respawning at the checkpoint wouldn't fix it. I just wasted the last 2 hours because of this shit.

That said, I've really enjoyed the game so far. One of my favorite fps in years.

Levyne

Banned
So I just experienced the most annoying glitch in my life, during the beginning of Chapter 14.
I'm in the room you rope into right after the shootout in the crashed shuttle. In that previous shootout, I used almost all of my ammo, and my health was down to 20.

I've spent the last 2 hours being killed over and over again, wondering how the fuck I was supposed to get past this part with 2 AR Marksmen shots, 2 shots worth of charge on my Lasercraftwerk, 20 pistol bullets, and 20 health.

After frustration set in, I wondered if I could start the level over and ignore the shootout in the shuttle just to have some ammo and health. Well that worked, but an even greater surprise was that when I landed in the room again it was packed with ammo, guns, health and armor! Due to this bug, the room was absolutely barren, and respawning at the checkpoint wouldn't fix it. I just wasted the last 2 hours because of this shit.

That said, I've really enjoyed the game so far. One of my favorite fps in years.

Yeah, I had a similar issue. Restarting the chapter and when I ended up in the room I had more health and ammo available to me, including a +60 (iirc) right where you lands, which was very helpful. Weird. It did help to know you can ignore the first part of the chapter.

Hopefully its some DLC for this game.

I'd rather them go to pre-production on the next big project they're gonna do and not waste time with what will ultimately just be a small piece of content. The New Order took like 3-4 years to make. If it's gonna be a similar turnaround for their next game, skip the DLC please.

dab0ne

I'd rather them just go right into the next big project they're gonna do and not waste time with what will ultimately just be a small piece of content. The New Order took like 3-4 years to make. If it's gonna be a similar turnaround for their next game, skip the DLC please.

I would like to see a battle arena or something with just waves of enemies. The gunplay is wonderful and I want to just jump right back into it over and over again. I currently have my save game at a point where a big battle begins just so I can shoot stuff.

nOoblet16

Man Chapter 10 end, I just can't do it with those
three heavy armour guys, I can take on the first one using my chain gun but when I run out of ammo and try to reach for the other chain gun I get stormed by two other heavy armour guys and many normal enemies and I die in a heartbeat befor eI even get a chance to run back. Worst part is that all the health packs and armour is lying around in the area where all the enemies are and these heavies are quick at shooting and take a lot of health off you.

iavi

It's actually kind of amazing the turn this game makes as soon as you're out of the initial prologue chapter (And I actually had to play it TWICE because of a game-save corrupting bug that hit me as soon as I was finishing it the first time. :/) And even that chapter gets really good once you're inside the compound.

From the second chapter on, the game seems to be so ' OG Starbreeze' in presentation, it hurts, but with amazing gunplay/set-pieces this time as well--a lil something neither Riddick or The Darkness had, as much as I love them. I've only just reached Berlin and already I've had a decent mix of character-pieces, shootouts, stealth, and bosses.

If the game is paced this well throughout, while being as tightly designed with its attention to detail, I can actually see the GOTY claims being true.

Doesn't work. Not on uber at least. Windows can be smashed and once dude with tanks on his back gets in, it's gameover. He's the one I'm having the most trouble with

Don't stay on the ground, upstairs is more strategically defensive. Overcharge and run upstairs, there's health there and grenades, too.

Man Chapter 10 end, I just can't do it with those
three heavy armour guys, I can take on the first one using my chain gun but when I run out of ammo and try to reach for the other chain gun I get stormed by two other heavy armour guys and many normal enemies and I die in a heartbeat befor eI even get a chance to run back. Worst part is that all the health packs and armour is lying around in the area where all the enemies are and these heavies are quick at shooting and take a lot of health off you.
You can exit the level without killing them, I think.

Top Bottom