• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Arksy

This is one of the first examples of id tech 5 since Rage...

How does the engine fare by today's standards? I'm guessing it's rock solid but I'd love someone more knowledgeable than I to pitch in. :)

Help me out here. I'm playing on uber on my first play through and am at a boss on chapter 5 or 6 and I've hit my first stump

in London. I'm in the hangar where i have to steal a choppah! I kill two commandos, two robots using Gatling gun in three copters then a swarm of soldiers. then out comes a big boy with laser missiles and grenades. I can't seem to make a dent on him with Gatling unless he just has high hp. For fucks sales I am not restarting this section

Keep pelting him with the LKW while using the central platform (has two recharge stations on it) for cover and recharging the laser.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Goddamn it I knew I was overthinking it. Done. Thank you :)
You can also use zappy grenades to fuck him up for a few seconds while you blast on him.

Also, I had a bug right after that. It wouldn't let me climb the ladder to go and close out the chapter. There was a checkpoint that moment, so it's no biggie to just reload from checkpoint if you know it's a bug, but I thought I was just going the wrong way and looked around for other ways for half an hour. Dunno if you'll get the bug, but just in case.

Dominator

I got the Platinum last night after about 25 hours of total playtime. I had a blast the entire time and I really enjoyed the game more than I thought I would have. The shooting mechanics are just fantastic and it actually feels like the shots count every time you pull the trigger.

It's also a good sign that right after I got the Platinum I booted up the game again to play through the other timeline. It's incredibly rare that I would play much of a game after I get the Platinum (due to buying tons of games mostly and not having the time to dedicate so much to one game) but this game is just so damn fun I want to just keep playing it.

Solid 9.5/10 for me.

Just beat it, 9/10 might go back and save the other guy in the beginning.

Would have been great if all the sections in HQ with find me this item or that item would have been optional. Those portions really pissed me off for some reason.

Cubed

Just started chapter 8 and I'm in love. Very addictive, fun, lengthy single-player fps. Thank goodness!

Besides the graphics I have zero complaints... ZERO! Seriously. Hope it stays that way for the second half.

JayEH

Just got the platinum! Can't express how much I like this game. It's definitely going to be one of my top games this year.

_Clash_

Wowee. This game is just spot on.

Game of the year contender for sure.

The gun play and presentation of this is incredible, with an incredible eye for detail with the art, the imagined alternative history is sooo compelling and the focus on technology is just what I liked to see. Great swashbuckling adrenaline story too.

9/10

Cubed

I think it's hilarious how we have dozens of threads active at one time regarding the graphics of games coming out, but then when a game is good/great (like this), no one even mentions the sub-par graphics.

Just shows that most of Gaf bitches about graphics just to waste time. In the end, graphics rarely define the enjoyment one gets from a game.

Just finished the game.

Is it me or did Machinegames just leave this thing wide open for another game? I searched online for alternate endings or something but couldn't find a damn thing.

Either way, it was great. Best FPS I have played in many years. The story helped it along nicely and the fact that there were no QTE's and so few scripted sequences was amazing. Pure gameplay the whole way through. Loved it.

jamesjmorton

Neo Member
Speaking of, I couldn't help but notice that subtitles were showing for British characters even though the option was set to "Foreign only". That got a good laugh out of me.

Poor Fergus - maybe their testers couldn't understand the Scottish (specifically Glasgow) accent.

Footos22

Got the platinum this morning, not the best game I've ever played but def up there as one of the best fps of all time.

Didn't take me 20 hours to plat that's for sure. Can you even tell on ps4? Wish theyd implement the time played feature from xbox and steam.

Help me out here. I'm playing on uber on my first play through and am at a boss on chapter 5 or 6 and I've hit my first stump

in London. I'm in the hangar where i have to steal a choppah! I kill two commandos, two robots using Gatling gun in three copters then a swarm of soldiers. then out comes a big boy with laser missiles and grenades. I can't seem to make a dent on him with Gatling unless he just has high hp. For fucks sales I am not restarting this section

Or
you could just throw a grenade and shoot the 3 batteries on the robot's back
which works like a charm on Uber if you're good at moving around and gets the fight done in 30 seconds.

So, character spoiler about Anya.
Anya is Ramona?

Apparently lots of people are missing this, but
in the last diary entry she even says something like "some of these entries were hers, some of them were mine."

I think it's hilarious how we have dozens of threads active at one time regarding the graphics of games coming out, but then when a game is good/great (like this), no one even mentions the sub-par graphics.

Just shows that most of Gaf bitches about graphics just to waste time. In the end, graphics rarely define the enjoyment one gets from a game.

Agreed (although some people are far more serious about it than just doing it to waste time; shame they'll probably pass on an experience like this one). This game looked fairly ugly in most places, but I have little doubt that it'll be in my top 10 of the year.

Very true.

Admit it, you all said 'Holy shit' out loud when (chapter 14 spoilers)
the London Monitor
appeared.
not really since
that thing already made an appearance
in the beginning of the game,
the stomper thing.

Speaking of, I couldn't help but notice that subtitles were showing for British characters even though the option was set to "Foreign only". That got a good laugh out of me.
i had a hard time understanding everything Fergus was saying.

antitrop

So are we all in agreeance that this is a better rival to Stick of Truth for GOTY so far than Child of Light?

I'll pickup Stick of Truth before the year is through, but I'm looking at all the games coming out this year and I'm not seeing anything that looks like it can take Wolfenstein.

The Last of Us: Remastered? That's about it, for me.

Wolfenstein will be the best SP Shooter this year. It will probably end up my Game of the Year.

Far Cry 4 is this year, but uh... I wasn't the greatest fan of Far Cry 3...

Mr Swine

Banned
Man, I wish that The developers could do Doom 4, the
Moon base
is exactly what I envision on how Doom in space base would look like!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Wow, just finished watching all the trailers and if I didn't know any better I'd say the old Id software was resurrected from the grave in order to make this!

Bravo MachineGames, it looks like you nailed it!

The gunplay, the right balance of horror and cheese, the outstanding immersion, and that soundtrack is a stroke of genius!

I don't play shooters often, but I'm definitely getting this.

8/10 from me. Great game, great shooting, I like the narrative but I thought the ending (1st play through) was a bit abrupt. Other then that awesome stuff

Bricky

Not to be a party pooper, but even though I enjoyed the game immensely (see earlier post) I think some of you are overhyping it a bit. GOTY contender? Maybe. One of the best FPS games ever made? No, just no. One of the best games ever made? Sorry sir, but have you been living under a rock for a console generation or two? It is a well made game for sure and one of the better FPS campaigns we've seen in a long while, but that is where I would draw the line. The fact that we have not seen a game like this in quite some time does not mean that it is anything special when you look beyond its slick presentation and fun, but very, very basic, gameplay. The level design has it moments, but even that gets way less interesting later on in the game. There is nothing here that hasn't been done before (and that, I'd argue, is all the game is trying to be; a damn great 90's shooter and nothing more), and just the fact that it is executed well (but nowhere near flawlessly) does not make it a classic. The metacritic hovering around 80 is exactly what a game like this deserves and the only reason this is turning into a GAF darling is because people were expecting it to be bad and are pleasantly suprised.

There, I said what had to be said. Hey wait, guys, what are you doing...

20140521-1.jpg

*Runs*

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Seriously. I don't think I've used lean in any shooter for the past 10 years (probably because I'm a product of Counter Strike and leaning is for pussies), but in this game I use it all the time.

I'd say your aversion to lean has more to do with the fact that it virtually went the way of the dodo after the early 2000s, arguably because the shift of focus to consoles necessitated less varied control schemes. Off the top of my head, the only FPS games released over the past decade that sported a proper lean function (i.e. not the contextual nonsense you see in the likes of Thi4f) are the original FEAR and more recently Dishonored.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
and just the fact that is executed well (but nowhere near flawlessly) does not make it a classic.

Agreed. The only thing that defines a "classic" is how it holds up under time.

Xater

Unlike some other people here I actually thought the game got better in the second half. It takes less control away from me and actually lets me do things my way. Still in the end just a solid 7/10 game.

antitrop

Not to be a party pooper, but even though I enjoyed the game immensely (see earlier post) I think some of you are overhyping it a bit. GOTY contender? Maybe. One of the best FPS games ever made? No, just no. One of the best games ever made? Sorry sir, but have you been living under a rock for a console generation or two? It is a well made game for sure and one of the better FPS campaigns we've seen in a long while, but that is where I would draw the line. The fact that we have not seen a game like this in quite some time does not mean that it is anything special when you look beyond its slick presentation and fun, but very, very basic, gameplay. The level design has it moments, but even that gets way less interesting later on in the game. There is nothing here that hasn't been done before (and that, I'd argue, is all the game is trying to be; a damn great 90's shooter and nothing more), and just the fact that it is executed well (but nowhere near flawlessly) does not make it a classic. The metacritic hovering around 80 is exactly what a game like this deserves and the only reason this is turning into a GAF darling is because people were expecting it to be bad and are pleasantly suprised.

There, I said what had to be said. Hey wait, guys, what are you doing...

20140521-1.jpg

*Runs*
In a world where Bioshock Infinite, a game I really enjoyed, can have a 94 Metascore, I see no reason why Wolfenstein can't be GOTY.

What, because it doesn't have a doe-eyed Disney character?

BJ and Anya's relationship is handled better than Booker and Elizabeth.

I, personally, was more invested in the world, characters, and story of Wolfenstein than I was with even Bioshock Infinite and that was GAF's #2 GOTY.

Dimorphic

The thing that makes this game awesome, for me, is the subject matter.

The way the MachineGames has fleshed out the world and the characters is excellent. It's so good that even if the game played like utter garbage I'd persevere with it. Thankfully it's pretty handy in the gameplay department too.

dab0ne

In a world where Bioshock Infinite, a game I really enjoyed, can have a 94 Metascore, I see no reason why Wolfenstein can't be GOTY.

I, personally, was more invested in the world, characters, and story of Wolfenstein than I was with even Bioshock Infinite and that was GAF's #2 GOTY.

As far as I'm concerned, Wolfenstein is the real Circus of Value.

Klyka

Banned
I would also like to point out that everything German in this game is spot on. I am german and the type of stuff they put in there that you only really pick up on as someone who has grown up/lived in Germany and speaks it is astounding. I have enver played a game that had Germans in it before that managed to do this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

More or less how I feel, and I enjoyed Infinite far more than I expected to and have fewer criticisms than many of the more vocal GAF posts. Nevertheless, the shooting, encounter design, level diversity, set pieces, narrative, characters, and journey as a whole is so much more superior in New Order that I consider it by far the better of the two.

Caesnd

I would also like to point out that everything German in this game is spot on. I am german and the type of stuff they put in there that you only really pick up on as someone who has grown up/lived in Germany and speaks it is astounding. I have enver played a game that had Germans in it before that managed to do this.

Interesting. Care to give some examples?

Just finished the game.
Amazing.
Simply amazing.
From start to finish the game was simply awesome.

There were two places in chapter
and
where I had to restart many times.
The one in chapter 14 especially since when you die you don't have any really suitable gun in your inventory to fight the masses of Nazis/Regimists thrown at you

Still the story was awesome. I really didn't expect a story this epic to be in a Wolfenstein game. I can only hope that Machine Games will be the future developer of more Wolfenstein games.

As someone who had to play the "censored" version I can say this:
The game was at least as much fun without the swastikas as it would've been with them!
Seriously, I don't fucking care if they're called "The Nazis" or "The Regime" or "Alois Hofenburger Schmitz".
It's like arguing about calling the Big Mac a Quarter Pounder with Cheese: In the end you get the same fucking thing, which in this case is the best FPS I played in years!

The gore is all intact, I could shoot off heads, legs, arms, there was blood and guts everywhere. Definitely one of the goriest games I ever played, aside from maybe the current Mortal Kombat.

Also a note regarding the German voice work:
It's incredibly well done. WolfTNO features many well-known professional German voice actors and every single person in the game sounds great. Even Blazcowicz comes across as the Nazi fighting war vet that he is.
Anya's voice actress does an exceptionally well done job that outshines every other character in my opinion.
No line sounds cringeworthy, the script seems to be translated very well which is something I can't say about every game I played.

So yeah, to you other Germans, Austrians and Swiss people: Stop worrying that you won't get swastikas and English voice work. It's still the same game.

Almost everything is correct, yes.
I have seen very few blunders, like calling a database "Databank" ("Datenbank" would be right) and right below it says something like "SPELCHER" (which should read "SPEICHER").

Also the newspaper is called "Der neuen Deutschen Zeitung" or something like that, when it should be "Die neue Deutsche Zeitung".

Most everything else though is grammatically correct. For example every single poster in the game is correct German. Everything the soldiers say is correct German (no surprise here as they hired German voice actors for almost all the Germans in the game).

They simply did an amazing job. I'm really happy seeing my mother language in a non-German developed video game used correctly for once.

Top Bottom