• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Coldblackice

Neo Member
Has there been any word how well this game's been doing financially? Any numbers or reports? Better than Bethesda hoped/predicted? Worse? Even?

From the general buzz I've seen, it seems it's had a pretty good response thus far -- fantastic news, in my opinion -- and I hope it's doing and continues to do smashingly well, ideally sparking a renewed interest and incentive for game companies to revive the single-player sphere.

Not that I'm anti-multiplayer, or anything. I just loathe the trending push toward multiplayer-created "content", and miss the days when "story" was king. I hope the industry can find a balance between the two!

Watto

Neo Member
Just finished this, genuinely enjoyed it loads more than I was expecting.

One disappointment I had was
In London Nautica with the London Monitor.
. Thought it was totally unnecessary that the game basically held my hand and step by step showed me how to defeat the boss. Considering how easy it is to look up this sort of thing on youtube these days just don't understand why the developers spoiled this bit of the game like this.

i was liking the game until

the mother fucking mech sequence. what the hell were they thinking? I've died like 20 times on this part. I can take these guys out with my god damn knife better than I can in that machine.

Call me stubborn, but I refuse to go back and finish the game as a result. It feels like a chore at this point

Hard to understand why it's so difficult for you. I've completed it on Uber and I'm not a very skillful player.

Just advance slowly, dont stand in the middle of the road. Take the rocket launcher dudes out first. Use the left flank in the first part of the level. All those boxes you can shoot, give you lots of health, dont forget that.

In the last sequence, when you enter the area, go to the left, into the small open area and you if you shoot the enemies from there, your right side is completely protected. Very easy.

Shylock

Just finished this, genuinely enjoyed it loads more than I was expecting.

One disappointment I had was
In London Nautica with the London Monitor.
. Thought it was totally unnecessary that the game basically held my hand and step by step showed me how to defeat the boss. Considering how easy it is to look up this sort of thing on youtube these days just don't understand why the developers spoiled this bit of the game like this.

I felt like that on most "bosses" -- I had more trouble with the normal sections of the games -- like the
train station
- the checkpoint was so early that when I'd die/run out of ammo then die it was sooooo frustrating to start over.

I felt like that on most "bosses" -- I had more trouble with the normal sections of the games -- like the
train station
- the checkpoint was so early that when I'd die/run out of ammo then die it was sooooo frustrating to start over.
Yea, the
train station
was brutal for me as well.. I just got back from the
moon
, and am clearing our
base-camp
of Nazi's, but I think the
train station
has been the most difficult part for me thus far.

Maffis

Finished it aswell. Great game, one of the most fun shooters I've played and the story was really captivating. I do think the ending was a bit abrupt, but here's hoping for the story DLC.

Drewfonse

Just beat it on I Am Death Incarnate. Absolutely loved this game. Only one more health upgrade to get before I play it on Uber.

I got Mass Effect 1 end credits chills during the credits fo this. If you told me that would happen before I picked up Wolfenstein, I would have laughed in your face.

Probably one of my all time pleasant gaming surprises, and surely one of my all time favorite FPS. Really awesome.

Biggest surprise: engaging characters and well done cutscenes.

Maybe Dark Souls 1 & 2 have hardened my gaming nerves into steel, so playing Wolfenstein on Uber seemed the "right" degree of difficulty. You're taking on the bastards who rule the world through war and fear, yet you want an easy fight? Just ain't right, man.

Garuda1One

finished yesterday and absolutely in love with this game... i've never played wolfenstein series before, this is actually my first time playing one..

Any idea on which wolfenstein game should i try ? im thinking of trying RTC:Wolfenstein,but that skeleton enemies from one of the screenshot keeps me from clicking that buy button..

well, time to start watchdog..

Melchiah

Finished the game last night. Overall the game was somewhat a disappointment. Id Tech 5 engine's blurry textures and the lack of anti-aliasing were an eyesore, and it definitely wasn't a looker compared to the likes of Killzone and Infamous, even Tomb Raider. The most damning thing was the infuriating checkpoint system, which lead to constant and needless repetition, and eventually turning down the difficulty level which I rarily do. Killzone and GOW series being the exceptions. The game also wore out its welcome towards the end. The first firefight in the
moon base
was particularly jarring, and the point where I changed the level to "Don't Hurt Me". Later on I changed it to "Can I play, Daddy?", as I just wanted to get it over with, without getting stuck to encounters. Oddly enough, I enjoyed the sections in the
resistance hideout
between the missions the most.

Finished the game last night. Overall the game was somewhat a disappointment. Id Tech 5 engine's blurry textures and the lack of anti-aliasing were an eyesore, and it definitely wasn't a looker compared to the likes of Killzone and Infamous, even Tomb Raider. The most damning thing was the infuriating checkpoint system, which lead to constant and needless repetition, and eventually turning down the difficulty level which I rarily do. Killzone and GOW series being the exceptions. The game also wore out its welcome towards the end. The first firefight in the
moon base
was particularly jarring, and the point where I changed the level to "Don't Hurt Me". Later on I changed it to "Can I play, Daddy?", as I just wanted to get it over with, without getting stuck to encounters. Oddly enough, I enjoyed the sections in the
resistance hideout
between the missions the most.

Had problems on the lowest difficulties?

Duxxy3

Dam you guys have all sold me on picking this up....

thumb.gif

best i could do with short notice

Loxley

Finished it yesterday, aside from finding the boss fights to be incredibly dull and uninspired I really enjoyed it - my nagging issues with Id Tech 5 aside. The only other gripe I have is how needlessly obtuse the lean controls are when using a keyboard and mouse. I really hope this game does well, it's a great revitalization of the series as well as a solid combination of old-school shooting combined with more modern design mechanics.

Also, this game is yet more proof in my eyes that the best way to go about doing regenerating health in shooters is to only allow your health to regenerate so much before you need to pick up a health pack. I also loved that the Nazi soldiers where actually speaking German and just English with a thick accent. As someone who took four years of German in high school and really likes the language, that little touch was appreciated.

Finished it yesterday, aside from finding the boss fights to be incredibly dull and uninspired I really enjoyed it - my nagging issues with Id Tech 5 aside. The only other gripe I have is how needlessly obtuse the lean controls are when using a keyboard and mouse. I really hope this game does well, it's a great revitalization of the series as well as a solid combination of old-school shooting combined with more modern design mechanics.

Also, this game is yet more proof in my eyes that the best way to go about doing regenerating health in shooters is to only allow your health to regenerate so much before you need to pick up a health pack. I also loved that the Nazi soldiers where actually speaking German and just English with a thick German accent. As someone who took four years of German in high school and really likes the language, that little touch was appreciated.

This game and Resistance did it right in terms of how health regen should be. The only game I can think of where health regen (fully) is fine is in Rainbow 6 Vegas 2... because you can die so fast in that game lol.

GravyButt

I personally think this game is a hidden gem for a lot of people. I know none of my friends seem to know or care about it because its not zomg cod. Oh well, I personally love it.

Tigress

train station

Yeah, that's when I finally put it on easy just to get through that part cause I got sick of getting through most of it and really only dieing at the last part only to have to go through it all again just for that one part at the end. And I mean by easy the easiest setting cause at that point I was so sick of playing through it that if I had to bother trying at all I just didn't even want to continue (I basically just wanted to skip that part at that point).

And then some one on here said he just ran for the train and booked it out of there (why didn't I try that damnit? For some reason it seems cheesier to me to put it on easy rather than flee if the game allows you to but leave it on normal. And I suck at these games, I'm not playing it on uber :p ).

Yeah the
Train Station
was the hardest part for me as well

Managed to beat it on the 2nd to hardest difficulty [was playing on that the whole time]. Hopefully will be able to beat it on uber this playthrough

Ended up hiding a turret I got off one of the
robots
in the room under the control room as that has a power charger and you can replenish the
laser turrets

I'm not sure if my spoiler tags were successful at hiding any tidbits

I personally think this game is a hidden gem for a lot of people. I know none of my friends seem to know or care about it because its not zomg cod. Oh well, I personally love it.
Wolf is way better than anything CoD ever offered... well, to be honest I only ever played MWII, but it sucked enough that I think I get the picture.

Ferny

Just picked this game up. Excited to give it a try after a couple buddies have said that it's pretty good and all the good impressions I've been seeing on here.

Yeah the
Train Station
was the hardest part for me as well

Managed to beat it on the 2nd to hardest difficulty [was playing on that the whole time]. Hopefully will be able to beat it on uber this playthrough

Ended up hiding a turret I got off one of the
robots
in the room under the control room as that has a power charger and you can replenish the
laser turrets

I'm not sure if my spoiler tags were successful at hiding any tidbits
I didn't realize that you could
recharge the laser turrets
until later in the game and I felt pretty stupid.
Train station
was definitely the hardest section in the game for me

grave_danger

Neo Member
Question regarding the storyline/mythos:

This is the first modern Wolfenstein game I've played. Is Hitler supposed to be alive? A 'Heil Hitler' is given by the guard right before the London Nautica scene, and there are a few references here and there. I'm a German History major and it's curious to see how this was approached in the game. Did they go easy on portraying Hitler due to taboos or ratings? Just curious. Deathshead got the whole "deity" treatment in much of the architecture, paintings, and busts throughout the game. If Hitler was alive, I'd doubt that would fly. Yes, I know it's a game. I'm a huge nerd. Just curious, as they got some smaller details right like the Volkshalle in the new Berlin.

Yoda

Does this game have replay value? I want to get it but from the sounds of it I'd play it on the hardest diff the first play through.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Does this game have replay value? I want to get it but from the sounds of it I'd play it on the hardest diff the first play through.

Totally does, but I for one.. struggled on Uber, had to dial it back - and I'm normally awesomesauce at shooters.

Could be because I'm playing it on PC with a controller.. anyone know if the PC version is slightly harder to factor in for mouse/kb?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

This is the first modern Wolfenstein game I've played. Is Hitler supposed to be alive? A 'Heil Hitler' is given by the guard right before the London Nautica scene, and there are a few references here and there. I'm a German History major and it's curious to see how this was approached in the game. Did they go easy on portraying Hitler due to taboos or ratings? Just curious. Deathshead got the whole "deity" treatment in much of the architecture, paintings, and busts throughout the game. If Hitler was alive, I'd doubt that would fly. Yes, I know it's a game. I'm a huge nerd. Just curious, as they got some smaller details right like the Volkshalle in the new Berlin.

Not sure if Hitler is still alive, but there's basically two Wolfenstein timelines/series (excluding the very original Muse games):

1. Wolfenstein 3D -> Spear of Destiny
2. Return to Castle Wolfenstein -> Wolfenstein 09 -> New Order

The first has the whole "BJ defeats mecha-Hitler" thing, the latter doesn't. Really, the second timeline kinda just avoids a lot of the gritty specifics and historic characters of the Reich in favour of establishing its own villains and lore. Not meant to replace (I think Himmler is in Return?), but shift the focus to fiction as opposed to reality. Hitler and the real history of the Reich/WW2 are supposed to exist, but Deathshead is supposed to be a symbolic villain for the second timeline series, an important figure in the Reich and a significant contributor to the Reich's technological/military superiority, while also having been promoted far enough to be someone of importance.

atr0cious

I redboxed it, and I'm only on the first mission after maybe 5 hours, but I am playing on Uber, because I ain't got time for all that 'replay value' shit. Uber isn't even hard, yet anyways, once you figure out how to play, as in not like a modern shooter. The tutorial was a 2 hour affair, and I completely forgot the game hadn't even started yet when the opening credits started. So I die a bit, but I know why, and every encounter seems really fair and gives you a lot of opportunity to not die. But I will say it's a fucking stellar game, and something you shouldn't miss out on. I don't see how this game doesn't get nods for level design, so far they've been great in scope and layout. I keep finding little nooks to explore, it really feels like an id game.

The developers
have always handwaved any questions about Hitler from loads of journalists who asked them in interviews of whether there'll be a reference. Other than than a couple of mentions in the game, I'm guessing they just wanted Deathshead his time to shine rather than be stolen the spotlight late-game with a surprise Hitler reveal out of nowhere with no development which would have cheapened Deathshead's impact throughout the game to end up as a cronie. It never bothered me or needed to be addressed. I'd rather the developers create their own fiction like with the retrofuture tech, super concrete, Da At Yichud, robot dog development, Wilhelm Strausse, Frau Engel, and other elements of the world rather than slavishly reference back to mecha Hitler.

That's my rationalisation.

Right, if anyone has issues with installing on the X1.

Try re-doing once or twice, if that fails. Remove the install and this time don't continue with the install from disk prompt and instead view store details and trigger an install from there. You'll have to download the huge file but at least it'll work.

Anya sure comes onto Blasowics quite strongly and quickly, it was ridiculous.
Fucking train section, I redid that way too many times.

-MD-

Dunno about playing on the hardest difficulty, even on the 2nd hardest difficulty I found myself taking cover and dying once n awhile. I should've just played it on normal so I could run 'n gun the whole game because that's when it's the most fun.

And this is coming from someone that plays almost every game on hard+ from the jump.

Squishy3

Anya sure comes onto Blasowics quite strongly and quickly, it was ridiculous.
I don't think she did at all, she took care of BJ for 14 years, and BJ watched her take care of him for 14 years. There's also the scene you can totally miss in the mental hospital of a flashback to when Anya was giving him a sponge bath. Not to mention it's probably the first time he's seen a woman in a long time. BJ and Anya's relationship is probably one of the better ones in the games industry. When you get the diary entries near the end of the game it also explains a lot why Anya would fall for BJ super hard.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

I'm pretty sure they addressed that.
He's alive, but they only refer to him as "Great Leader" in this game.

Smash88

Banned
I don't think she did at all, she took care of BJ for 14 years, and BJ watched her take care of him for 14 years. There's also the scene you can totally miss in the mental hospital of a flashback to when Anya was giving him a sponge bath. Not to mention it's probably the first time he's seen a woman in a long time. BJ and Anya's relationship is probably one of the better ones in the games industry. When you get the diary entries near the end of the game it also explains a lot why Anya would fall for BJ super hard.

I disagree. The love story felt forced, then it gave B.J. some sort of "reason" to fight for through his flashback where he is sitting in his backyard with Anya. Like what? B.J. would not stand for Nazi's or their rule, he had a mission and that didn't change before, and that was his mission. Why is the love story all of a sudden forced; it makes it seem like this gave him a reason, when he already had one to begin with. They just added it to make the player feel like B.J. is not just a killing machine and he can show emotion as well - which was poorly done, because he still went around murdering everything around him. What's even more weird is the scene where Anya and B.J. bang away like rabbits in the next room, when there are more pressing matters at hand really helped somehow convey that... The whole scene felt unnecessary, it just came out of no where as well - dealing with finding the ancient artifact or whatever, and then bam let's go have wild sex? What?

Don't even get me started on how short and insignificant the whole Secret Society cave they went to was. They went to get a ball and a suit - the suit which was seen used once in a cutscene, and the ball used twice. I wish there was more to explore with that whole secret society level. Not to mention that a random puzzle element was introduced in that level, which seemed weird to put puzzles in all of a sudden. Then we got the laser cutter gun, which could have been used in so many more interesting ways, instead of just cutting out holes, which was more of a hindrance than anything.

Now that's not to say I didn't enjoy the game itself, and the overall story was awesome, I just wish they delved more into the characters themselves, it felt like they were rushed to have B.J. go to the next mission of killing nazi's rather than explore every character in more detail.

Gekidami

Banned
I'm pretty sure they addressed that.
He's alive, but they only refer to him as "Great Leader" in this game.
The issue i have with this is why is everyone so obsessed with Deathshead then? I get that he's the cause for the Nazi's winning, but in 1960, it seems kinda pointless going after him when the Nazis already own everything and have a shit load of their advanced tech already walking around.
Are they really afraid he'll make even worst stuff? Worst than nukes? Worst than giant mechs? Worst than whatever the Ubersoldaten are meant to be? And we learn through the stuff we can read in-game that there are many other Nazi scientists working in different fields, its not like he's the only one.

But really this just begs the question:
At the end, why nuke Deathshead's complex, rather than Berlin? We can assume thats where the "Great Leader" is, after all. At the point the resistance are at, they'd best destroy the heart of the Nazi operation, cause as much morale damage and kill as many high ranking officials as possible. Either way though its not going to stop the Nazis from ruling the world. But destroying Deathshead's complex seem to achieve even less.

The issue i have with this is why is everyone so obsessed with Deathshead then? I get that he's the cause for the Nazi's winning, but in 1960, it seems kinda pointless going after him when the Nazis already own everything and have a shit load of their advanced tech already walking around.
Are they really afraid he'll make even worst stuff? Worst than nukes? Worst than giant mechs? Worst than whatever the Ubersoldaten are meant to be? And we learn through the stuff we can read in-game that there are many other Nazi scientists working in different fields, its not like he's the only one.

In my opinion, someone like hitler would hate the thought that a subordinate of his would be so clearly shown to be the reason they won the war not to mention the likely power Deathshead would wield within the party.

I would think that for Deathshead's own safety and to ensure his own position within the party he would protect himself by purposefully limiting the amount of knowledge anyone but someone in his trusted circle has on the tech that put him in power therefore making it nigh impossible for Hitler to eliminate him for two reasons: first being loss of intricate knowledge in the creation and usage of some of the technology, second being it would be hard to assassinate the man in control of the most powerful tech in the world

So yes I think that it's reasonable to assume the really important Da'at Yichud knowledge is held in a type of tribal scenario where only Deathshead himself knows all of it

Moff

while playing the new order I was sure hitler was dead, i somehow assumed you killed him in wolf3d, which made other people lead the reich, which made the nazis win the war.

hitler is never mentioned anywhere in the games since wolf3d. in the RTCW outro himmler is called back, the "führer" is expecting him. in the newspapers in TNO hitler is never mentioned, its always "führer".
sure, he is present in the wolf franchise, there are dozens of hitler paintings in RTCW and in wolf2009, and a guard says heil hitler in TNO. but none of these point to him actually being still alive.

this made me somehow believe that deathshead is the führer in TNO. in the kreisau circle hierarchy map on the wall of the base, deathshead is at the top. sure, this might just be a hiearchy of the supernatural or science division the kreisau circle wants to take down, but I still find it odd that hitler is never ever mentioned by name.

now thats what I thought while playing the game. after that I read up on it on the wolf wiki, and apparently wolf3d is an alternate timeline where killing hitler lead to the allies winning the war, which somehow destroys my whole theory. well, I prefer it anyway and will do so until I actually see hitler in a wolf game again.

It's really great how in the diaries
she's been waiting for someone to really kick this Nazi killing movement off cause she's just one assassin doing this, then when BJ comes to the hospital,
the very first line is,
"I have waited for you for so long."

Throughout the game I was wondering what that line meant until the diaries explained it.
Brilliant stuff.

Gekidami

Banned
this made me somehow believe that deathshead is the führer in TNO.

I assumed that too at first, but then at no point does anyone refer to him as that, the soldiers in the psy hospital still refer to him a "general" and thats in 1960.

I maintain that everyone's obsession with Deathshead is just pointless bar the very beginning of the game where killing him may actually halt the Nazi war effort and its new tech. But in 1960 i just dont get it. Its not even CJ just out for revenge either, as soon as you arrive in the resistance HQ you learn that their main target is Deathshead. Why?

nOoblet16

Man that last boss fight.

The second phase is just too annoying, I am playing on the 2nd hardest difficulty and am on the 2nd part of last battle and I only have 100 max health and armour. I use double grenade launchers and even 10 shots off both don't seam to do shit to him, then I switch to double shotgun and empty 15-20 rounds off both and he's still standing...wtf???

I saw this video of this guy playing on Uber and it only took him like 7 grenade launcher shots off both to kill him. What's going on ? lol

Gekidami

Banned
Man that last boss fight.

The second phase is just too annoying, I am playing on the 2nd hardest difficulty and am on the 2nd part of last battle and I only have 100 max health and armour. I use double grenade launchers and even 10 shots off both don't seam to do shit to him, then I switch to double shotgun and empty 15-20 rounds off both and he's still standing...wtf???

I saw this video of this guy playing on Uber and it only took him like 7 grenade launcher shots off both to kill him. What's going on ? lol

Get behind him, he'll go down pretty much instantly when you shoot him in the back. Shoot him with rockets whilst strafing, when you hit him he'll freeze up, use this to get behind him.

Get behind him, he'll go down pretty much instantly when you shoot him in the back. Shoot him with rockets whilst strafing, when you hit him he'll freeze up, use this to get behind him.

See, even I didn't know that, and I just shot 7 rockets. Just waited for the boss to get stunned with one rocket each time, and not get hit before repeating. On Uber.

nOoblet16

No this doesn't work. Even if you shoot him with rocket and freeze him from moving, he will still keep turning with you and it's not possible to go behind him. Worst part is you can barely see shit after a while.

thenexus6

Finished the game today, will jump back in again soon. Not sure I will replay the entire thing on the alternate timeline as there isn't much difference i've heard. But I had a blast probably most fun SP game i've played on my PS4 (played BF4, Killzone, Infamous).

Shame that you
didn't get to kill Frau Engel, maybe in the next game. Also wish killing Deathshead was different a few stabs to the chest wasn't enough. I wanted to rip the guys head off! Also good on BJ for surviving a direct grenade blast that blew Deaths arms and legs off

Also I am not too bothered this doesn't have online play, a co-op horde mode would've been cool though, maybe.

Top Bottom