• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Melchiah

The checkpoint system isn't bad, I know what you mean about a couple of sections where you hear the radio and it seems like it should save, but you're still in the same encounter. I look at it like a boss fight, where reaching a certain point triggers a line of dialogue that signals the next phase, but the game doesn't save there

Protip (especially on the bridge): You can actually cheat and skip some sections by running and reaching the next checkpoint. I did it accidentally once on the bridge and after dying I was about to skip the whole previous encounter.

That bridge section in particular pissed me off, as I already cleared the first part of the battle, there were no enemies left before I reached the next point, and now I'll have to do it all over again. I really hate needless repetition in games.

I've used that method once in KZ2, and it was a bridge section as well, but this time I've avoided it so far. I managed to clear the trainyard, eventhough it was a pain in the ass.

Shadownet

Banned
I haven't played the previous games but has BJ
been experimented on? How he survived until the end of the game doesn't make a lick of sense.

Of course Anya is fucked up, she fucked a guy that she fed and bathed for twelve years.

Are we talking about after he came out of his vegetative state or before? Did I miss something? They only did it like twice on screen.

Shadownet

Banned
The game's DTS mix isn't very good, but the Dolby Digital mix is perfectly fine on all platforms. If you force your console to output Dolby Digital 5.1 via your audio output of choice (by deselecting every deselectable audio codec in the options aside from Dolby Digital 5.1), you will have a much better time. This can be done irrespective of your console's firmware version.

I haven't seen anyone mention a way to do this on PC, because the Dolby mix must be selected at the game level, and not post-converted by a sound card.

This is probably why I didn't encounter that audio problem. Mine is defaultly set to 5.1.

A small PSA:

Let me once again say that I am from Germany, so I could only buy the denazified version of the game.

So yesterday something strange happened to me. I tried to (unsuccessfully) get the Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition for a friend of mine, so I logged into Steam via VPN (the first time I did so in years).
As said I was unsuccessful in buying it because I couldn't even use my PayPal account due to conflicting areas, blabla.

Yet when I logged into my Steam account after turning on VPN, look what was smiling at me:

iGONjFnT2cSG0.PNG

Seems like everyone who bought the censored version of Wolfenstein TNO is eligible for the uncensored version as well, IF you log into your Steam account from outside of Germany. The game will be added to your library as soon as you log in via VPN.

You will still need a VPN to download and play the game, though, (I recommend Hotspot Shield, powered by ads but it's free) but at least here's another method of getting the censored AND uncensored game through 100% legal means.

So, after beating the game, if you do chapter select you keep all of your perks? I did the
U-Boat
mission earlier to show the game to a friend and I had rockets

I want to attempt an Uber run but I assume the only way for it to count is by doing a new game and losing everything (which isn't a problem, but keeping perks would be cool)

BBboy20

So, after beating the game, if you do chapter select you keep all of your perks? I did the
U-Boat
mission earlier to show the game to a friend and I had rockets

I want to attempt an Uber run but I assume the only way for it to count is by doing a new game and losing everything (which isn't a problem, but keeping perks would be cool)
There's a pinned thread on the official forums that actually encourage you to just do a new game through Chapters if you don't want to lose your collectables.
-
I find it funny that the reboot made an ending that could end the franchise.

If there is going to be a sequel, I wonder how they'll reveal it (Because you can't do Wolfenstein without BJ).

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Started off slow, but it is definitely picking up. Really enjoying myself now.

The graphics are horrid, but still having fun.

Gangxxter

Finally I've beaten the Wolfenstein3D easter egg on Über yesterday, wohooo! Too bad you don't get any reward/achievement for that.

BBboy20

actually its the other way round. wolf3d is not part of the wolfenstein lore anymore, while RTCW, wolf09 and TNO are all direct sequels with the same characters.
When did this happen? Does that mean
Hitler is really alive?

actually its the other way round. wolf3d is not part of the wolfenstein lore anymore, while RTCW, wolf09 and TNO are all direct sequels with the same characters.

Where was it said t hat Wolf3D and Spear of Destiny aren't part of the Wolfenstein lore anymore?
Because I'm pretty sure I read that every game so far is in direct continuity to each other.
I mean,
wasn't Hans Grosse revived during Wolf09, thus confirming that Blazco killed him before in Wolf3D
? I haven't played Wolf09, but I'm pretty sure I read as much.

Half day at work today so I'm taking the console up so my coworker can play Wolfy. What chapter would you suggest as a starting point? I was thinking Chapter 3?
Chainsaw
+ Kill Everyone! seems like a good way to show the game to someone who just wants to shoot shit and doesn't really care about story. He can go whole ass or stealth it and you get a good mix of enemy soldiers and
mechanical enemies.

Thriller

YESSSS platinum all the way bitches.

Final boss was a cakewalk once I figured out that you had to throw
a grenade at him
BEFORE
running to the cannons

Also the second part was really easy, took me
about 9 direct RPG hits to the face
and that was that ;)

Awesomemmmemee

Thriller

So, whats the best mission (chapter) in the game for you?

I really enjoyed the "Oldschool" levels, so when attacking the compound and getting in again.

it gave me the RTCW feel that I really dig. I also enjoyed the
moon base
and the train sequence :)

thenexus6

I just started the mission on
the moon, apparently I get to walk on the surface
. This game is too cool! the 46/60 handgun and knives are awesome.I love sniping and getting head shots with my silenced pistol miles away. I don't even bother aiming down sight with it as its so accurate.

Moff

So, whats the best mission (chapter) in the game for you?

definitely
the moon, its the highlight of the game. so many hints at it before you actually go there. art design there is amazing, too, and lots of stealth passages, too. more passages on the surface would have been nice, though.

x-Lundz-x

Platinumed the game last night on PS4.

1. Amazing gunplay, shotgun = heaven.
2. Decent story, very well presented.
3. Graphics are all over the place but overall the game looks great.
4. Collectibles were a little Annoying but nothing too bad.

Overall, I am glad some devs are taking a chance and giving us a very well put together single player only game. This game truly shows that can be done when everything is dedicated to the single player experience. Great job machine games, I look forward to your next title.

Platinumed the game last night on PS4.

1. Amazing gunplay, shotgun = heaven.
2. Decent story, very well presented.
3. Graphics are all over the place but overall the game looks great.
4. Collectibles were a little Annoying but nothing too bad.

Overall, I am glad some devs are taking a chance and giving us a very well put together single player only game. This game truly shows that can be done when everything is dedicated to the single player experience. Great job machine games, I look forward to your next title.

Agreed. I just hope their next title has more replayability. Because the unlockable modes aren't really worth it.

thenexus6

Question: I am planning to run through a second time to pick up some missed trophies do my perks carry over? I have some incomplete so I was hoping just to pick up where I left off.

x-Lundz-x

Question: I am planning to run through a second time to pick up some missed trophies do my perks carry over? I have some incomplete so I was hoping just to pick up where I left off.

Just chapter select from the timeline you chose. Here is a tip though, the Collectibles it shows you missing in the chapter select screen are not the same as when you get in the game. They are not in the same order for whatever reason. Just FYI.

Gekidami

Banned
You'll still have the ones you already got. I assume that the stuff you havent finished carry over, cant say for sure seeing as i got them first play through, but i'd highly assume they do.

Gekidami

Banned
It's even greater when it arcs into their achilles tendon, killing them instantly. :D
But yes, I loved using the knife. Such a fun game to play.
Kinda sucked though when you want to hit open a create and it throws the knife instead and you cant find it any more afterwards.

It's odd that of all the batshit crazy ridiculous parts of this game, the throwing knives which I absolutely love also somehow annoy me the most

Like if I throw a knife into a commanders leg, he just dies instantly without making a sound

Eh. The gameplay function of it is really fun though

thenexus6

I find it weird if I kill someone a nearby guard will find out say something like "what the f" or "huh" see his dead comrade but just continue as normal

Andrew.

Banned
It's odd that of all the batshit crazy ridiculous parts of this game, the throwing knives which I absolutely love also somehow annoy me the most

Like if I throw a knife into a commanders leg, he just dies instantly without making a sound

Eh. The gameplay function of it is really fun though

I usually manage to throw one right into an enemy's buttcheek.

It's either ass or face.

I burnt some trees last night, and in that mental state, Wolfenstein was fucking insane... almost had a quit playing due to the intensity. I knew the game was violent, but I REALLY noticed it last night.

best fps in a long while.

I find it weird if I kill someone a nearby guard will find out say something like "what the f" or "huh" see his dead comrade but just continue as normal

Nazis are stupid.
ifhSmWUKSnhzQ.jpg

I love poking my head out for a quick check on the commanders and see their "signal detected" turn into red for a split second every time. They must be freaking out seeing me like that.
ibtPXK2Udx0gv0.gif

Tigress

Ah, I don't get that luck. They seem to clue in in my game if they see a dead person. Which is where I am now (trying to stealth the moon station where the commanders are and last attempt managed to do it, waiting for a good shot of the commander, and he sees his dead comrade and gets all alert. Dumb me even was like, "What? He wasn't even looking this way and I haven't done anything... ooooh, he saw the dead person"

(yes, I have a bad habit of taking for granted AI doesn't notice dead bodies).

AlphaDump

Gold Member
i was liking the game until

the mother fucking mech sequence. what the hell were they thinking? I've died like 20 times on this part. I can take these guys out with my god damn knife better than I can in that machine.

Call me stubborn, but I refuse to go back and finish the game as a result. It feels like a chore at this point

Shylock

Kinda sucked though when you want to hit open a create and it throws the knife instead and you cant find it any more afterwards.

Yeah the idea of throw if far away, swipe if close seems like a good idea but didn't quite work in practice. A few times in close quarter fights I'd end up throwing knives randomly.

the mother fucking mech sequence. what the hell were they thinking? I've died like 20 times on this part. I can take these guys out with my god damn knife better than I can in that machine.

Call me stubborn, but I refuse to go back and finish the game as a result. It feels like a chore at this point
are you talking about in the
labor camp
? Game gets much harder than that sequence.

Tigress

Is that the part at the end of escaping from the concentration camp
?

If so, I can't agree, I loved that part (and I found it decently easy, well I guess not easy but I was having so much fun that dieing didn't bug me. I mean I died a few times but I didn't find it overly frustrating. Then again, it's one of the times it has appropriate checkpoints where it doesn't make you start over from way earlier and re do a whole bunch of stuff to get to the part that is hard (I hate having to slog through the stuff I already was able to get past just to re do the part I keep dieing at). But hard or not, I just had fun blasting everyone with the mech! And figuring out the best way of getting through (cause I admit I did die a few times but I wasn't finding it frustrating, I found it fun. I'd love to play that section just for that part again).

Also, during the one scene I had issue with (mainly cause I was slogging through a long scene and only having trouble at the end), I just caved and put it on easy so I could just breeze past (and easy is truly easy. If I find it easy that's a good indication that most anyone who likes playing games can get by it). Have you tried that? Could be it's just that scene you don't like (I find a lot of games have some section I absolutely hate and find frustrating. I find that it's better to just cave and put the game on easy to get past if you can<- only works for games that let you change difficulty mid game though). And that usually one annoying scene isn't indicative that the rest is going to be un fun for you.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
are you talking about in the
labor camp
? Game gets much harder than that sequence.

yeah, i am playing it on the 2nd hardest difficult, but haven't really had problems up until this point.
the change up is just not executed very well, at least for me

otherwise, i find the gunplay refreshing and awesome.

yeah, i am playing it on the 2nd hardest difficult, but haven't really had problems up until this point.
the change up is just not executed very well, at least for me

otherwise, i find the gunplay refreshing and awesome.
power through it, the game is definitely worth sticking with.

That was one of the easiest parts on Uber, probably because it is the empowering end of a level. If there are enemies far away, switch to bullets, then rockets for the bigger enemies. At the very end, if you smash the crates, you get armour back.

For looting, I'd switch to dual knives and get to work. No chance of throwing them accidentally, and they're super fast.

Gekidami

Banned

My first playthrough was on Uber. I died many, many times. However, i didnt die once on that part.

You're really exaggerating.

Top Bottom