• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Diary:
Ramona is Anya, or parts of Ramona (if that was her name) are actually Anya. This is pretty clear. Several elements of their history line up. Her past, connection to the university, occupation of her parents, arrival of BJ at the asylum, etc. And Anya gives it away at the end with her "some of this may have happened to me". It's her way of sharing her past with BJ. Note: Anya is seriously fucked up and in BJ finds a Nazi hating equal. She just does a good job hiding it.

Virzeth

For people wondering about DLC.. I have a very reliable source that yes, we will get story DLC, which is targeted to be around 4 hours long. No ETA, other than it will take a while for it to be released.

I don't know. I'll try and get some more information, doubt i'll get more though! Will post here if i do.

eLHBVY1.gif

HT UK

For anyone thinking about saving money by buying a Russian Steam key online, don't be silly like me! Couldn't resist the £12 price, only to find out it's region locked (was able to activate, but not install). Lesson learned :)

Then I realised (BIG SPOILER!!!)
you can just run down the walkway on the right then duck behind it and kill that mofo by shooting his legs out and he can't shoot you easily, he gets the odd shot in here and there but with overpowered health you can take him down easy.

Plat got! That spoiler helped a lot. Danke!

To anyone finding this game easy, have you checked the difficulty setting in the pause menu?

I was just playing the other day, realizing the game just wasn't getting tough, when I looked a bit closer and realized that for some odd reason the game was set to the lowest difficulty, even though I swear I set it to Please Hurt me when first starting (on PS4).

After setting the difficulty back up, the game is just destroying me right now. I'm at this underground train station with lots of Super Soldiers around, and I keep dying now. I'm curious if this is a bug or just my mistake.

I haven't had time to read the whole thread, so not sure if anyone else has discussed this.

To anyone finding this game easy, have you checked the difficulty setting in the pause menu?

I was just playing the other day, realizing the game just wasn't getting tough, when I looked a bit closer and realized that for some odd reason the game was set to the lowest difficulty, even though I swear I set it to Please Hurt me when first starting (on PS4).

After setting the difficulty back up, the game is just destroying me right now. I'm at this underground train station with lots of Super Soldiers around, and I keep dying now. I'm curious if this is a bug or just my mistake.

I haven't had time to read the whole thread, so not sure if anyone else has discussed this.

That is one really hard part on Uber for me, so I just legged it when they pop up and escape on the train rather than fighting them :p

Raptor

I guess I'm a little dissapointed at the shotgun in this game, my perfect shotgun would be the one that when shot close range the enemy should always fly backwards in pieces, the only enemy that went flying backwards that I remember I wasn't even using the shotgun but the AR, I don't know but I feel the shotgun is not that great in this game, I can name a few shotguns in other games that are better, the AR however is incredible to use since it really tores apart enemies, love it and is the one I use the most since it had that chirp sound when bullets hits.

Don't get me wrong dual weild shotguns are a joy to use and tear apart everything but a single shotgun should sent flying backwards normal enemies IMO.

One day a dev will do it again like in Doom.

Maybe is just me.

I guess I'm a little dissapointed at the shotgun in this game, my perfect shotgun would be the one that when shot close range the enemy should always fly backwards in pieces, the only enemy that went flying backwards that I remember I wasn't even using the shotgun but the AR, I don't know but I feel the shotgun is not that great in this game, I can name a few shotguns in other games that are better, the AR however is incredible to use since it really tores apart enemies, love it and is the one I use the most since it had that chirp sound when bullets hits.

Don't get me wrong dual weild shotguns are a joy to use and tear apart everything but a single shotgun should sent flying backwards normal enemies IMO.

One day a dev will do it again like in Doom.

Maybe is just me.
I don't mind the not flying away. I prefer when shotguns just gib an enemy. This, Shadow Warrior, Syndicate. I think Mafia 2 and Black do make the enemies fly back if I'm remembering correctly since those games don't have gore.

i5lKw2DEeobR2.gif

That is one really hard part on Uber for me, so I just legged it when they pop up and escape on the train rather than fighting them :p

I'm too stubborn to simply run ;). But to be honest, I'm having a blast. Even though I'm dying, I've found a lot of cool little things to try while trying to clear the supersoldiers.

I love how open the level design is in this game, it makes for so much more strategy when the game forces you to think outside the box, and gives the game far more interesting exploration.

Tigress

Argh! G****mnit! I got so tired of replaying that part cause I kept dieing (and usually when I was down to the last two enemies that spawn, the bullet sponges so I tended to last a long time each time only to die) I just put it on easy mode to get past. I didn't even think of just trying to get away. I gotta stop taking for granted that in these kind of games you must kill everyone before you move on.

Except for the part where they tell you to KILL EVERYONE

Well, yeah. But I gotta learn that I can try to see if I can escape too (I tend to assume you have to kill everyone. It got me in Shadowfall too but I figured that one out after a few deaths. But I think it kept endlessly spawning enemies so I finally clued in that they wanted me to run. Wolfenstein seems to have a finite amount of enemies each level so I just assumed you had to kill everyone each level).

Just finished this game for the first time. Will probably switch
timelines
and play again on uber

Loved the whole game. Ending wasn't anything special but it was still slightly above average I would say. Gameplay and more importantly gunplay is pretty great though

I will say I was playing on the difficulty level right below uber and found the difficulty to be odd at times. Generally though it isn't too difficult a game unless Uber is signficantly harder

I beat the
2nd form of the
final boss in all of 30 seconds. Beat
the first form
without much effort after I figured out what the hell I had to do. Died about 10 times before that

Really love stealth in this game though. Simplistic yet powerful

i dont know about bioshock but a 78 for wolfenstein sounds about right. id give it an 80/100 myself

BioShock infinite should be a 50.

Pretty should you meant to quote EBE's post and I would love to know how you ending up quoting something from 2008

antitrop

Well, yeah. But I gotta learn that I can try to see if I can escape too (I tend to assume you have to kill everyone. It got me in Shadowfall too but I figured that one out after a few deaths. But I think it kept endlessly spawning enemies so I finally clued in that they wanted me to run. Wolfenstein seems to have a finite amount of enemies each level so I just assumed you had to kill everyone each level).

I just like saying KILL EVERYONE.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Though the narrative does have some issues, I think they totally nailed the voice acting, hammy/pulpy dialogue included. The entire cast is spot on.

Really, I think BJ's bizarre as fuck raspy half whispered internal monologues are some of the most poorly read dialog in the history of the form. So sooooo bad.

border

Really, I think BJ's bizarre as fuck raspy half whispered internal monologues are some of the most poorly read dialog in the history of the form. So sooooo bad.

I'm going to guess that you didn't like Max Payne's VA work as well? Not that there's really anything wrong with that, but Wolfenstein seems like it was meant to play up to the crowd that likes hammy noir stuff. As with Max Payne, all the "touching" and "emotional" moments are kinda brought down by the fact that the rest of the game is so undeniably overwrought and kooky. You can't have it both ways - it can't be pulpy for one moment, and then expect to tug on my heartstrings the next moment.

EBE

well for one his internal monologues were all super whisper quiet and poorly mixed with the rest of the game audio. i could barely even hear them. and i didnt feel like they added anything to his character development or feel to the game. they certainly werent up to the standard of say Jackie's in the first Darkness game. THOSE were good. these? eh.

border

This game is why I always turn subtitles on. Otherwise, you can miss lots of interesting incidental dialogue that gets lost in the audio mix.

border

Thinking about picking this up, how long is it supposed to be?

Not that long. Maybe 9-10 hours, depending on the difficulty setting and how comfortable you are with FPS games. If you like collecting and unlocking stuff you can probably get 20 hours out of it.

Current trade-in value at Gamestop is $35, so it's effectively a $25 game. Considering that, it's easily worth the money.

Tahnit

Banned
Have never played through a shooter more than once. This game is the exception. Blowing away nazi's just doesnt get old.

I think those inner monologues are really moody and one of the best aspects of the game. They are supposed to be more observational and not...spoken like dialogue. I dont get the hate for it.

StevieP

Banned
Have never played through a shooter more than once. This game is the exception. Blowing away nazi's just doesnt get old.

Haven't played a shooter campaign more than once either, since the Half Life 2 series. This is the first one since. Says a lot, considering I'm not even huge on shooters.

This game is why I always turn subtitles on. Otherwise, you can miss lots of interesting incidental dialogue that gets lost in the audio mix.

Yeah the audio mix is pretty bad.
Im from Germany and actually needed to read the subtitles, because i just couldnt hear what they were saying.

I haven't played the previous games but has BJ
been experimented on? How he survived until the end of the game doesn't make a lick of sense.
Diary:
Ramona is Anya, or parts of Ramona (if that was her name) are actually Anya. This is pretty clear. Several elements of their history line up. Her past, connection to the university, occupation of her parents, arrival of BJ at the asylum, etc. And Anya gives it away at the end with her "some of this may have happened to me". It's her way of sharing her past with BJ. Note: Anya is seriously fucked up and in BJ finds a Nazi hating equal. She just does a good job hiding it.
Of course Anya is fucked up, she fucked a guy that she fed and bathed for twelve years.
Honestly, I'm starting to think the game is partly satirical. The ending monologue was really something.

gstaff

Yeah the audio mix is pretty bad.
Im from Germany and actually needed to read the subtitles, because i just couldnt hear what they were saying.

What platform are you playing on? We found that there was a recent update to the PS4 that helps if you're on 5.1.

To ensure you are getting proper audio playback, please check to make sure you have the latest system firmware installed and that your PS4 system settings are supported by your audio system.
  • Make sure your PS4 firmware is v.1.7 or later
  • Hit the PS button to go to your system menu
  • Go to Settings
  • From Settings, go to Sound and Screen
  • From Sound and Screen, select Audio Output Settings
  • From Audio Output Settings, select Primary Output Port
  • From Primary Output Port, select HDMI OUT
  • On the Primary output Port screen, you should see a checkbox prompt asking you if you want to output to 5.1
  • Check the box, then re-run the game

The game's DTS mix isn't very good, but the Dolby Digital mix is perfectly fine on all platforms. If you force your console to output Dolby Digital 5.1 via your audio output of choice (by deselecting every deselectable audio codec in the options aside from Dolby Digital 5.1), you will have a much better time. This can be done irrespective of your console's firmware version.

I haven't seen anyone mention a way to do this on PC, because the Dolby mix must be selected at the game level, and not post-converted by a sound card.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Good news for German users:

Changed releasestate – preloadonly › released about 4 minutes ago

You can now buy the ROW version of Wolf14 and play it without switching to Offline Mode/using the app id trick/using a VPN. No more fooling around!

PC version, obviously.

Edit: Actually, never mind -- the subs still have Germany listed as a prohibited country.

KorrZ

Just finished this last night - great game, much much better than I ever expected it to be. I had absolutely zero interest in this game when they first showed it off at E3, glad I changed my mind!

By far my favorite thing in the game is the ricochet shotgun shells. Nothing is better than being in a crowded hallway full of Nazis and firing a shotgun blast at the wall and watching it ricochet into a nazi 6 times and kill him. The sound effects for it are soooo good too!

Best shooter I've played in years - cannot recommend it more highly. If you're on the fence GET THIS GAME!

Ragnarok

Finished the game. Loved every minute! Expertly paced and I didn't get bored at all. In fact after it was finished i was left wanting more, more, more!

The ending was a little unsatisfying for me. Only because I wanted to see the damn explosion! Such a tease. Spend the whole game making me hate these damn nazis and I don't even get to see the event the entire game was building toward. I understand from an artistic point of view, there was more of an emotional punch to ending it on BJ awaiting his bittersweet doom, but just as someone invested in the story it didn't give me a big enough payoff

iavi

The more I play the PS4 version, the more I really wish I had just gone with the PC version. This game just doesn't feel right using the controller. I've even knocked the sensitivity all the way up and it still feels sluggish w/ the analogue.

Melchiah

I'm currently in the bridge section, and I'm really starting to hate the game's awful checkpoint system. It often throws you back into the section's beginning, eventhough you had reached a halfway point where it gives you further advice on the radio. FTS

I'm currently in the bridge section, and I'm really starting to hate the game's awful checkpoint system. It often throws you back into the section's beginning, eventhough you had reached a halfway point where it gives you further advice on the radio. FTS
The checkpoint system isn't bad, I know what you mean about a couple of sections where you hear the radio and it seems like it should save, but you're still in the same encounter. I look at it like a boss fight, where reaching a certain point triggers a line of dialogue that signals the next phase, but the game doesn't save there

Protip (especially on the bridge): You can actually cheat and skip some sections by running and reaching the next checkpoint. I did it accidentally once on the bridge and after dying I was about to skip the whole previous encounter.

Top Bottom