• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Good to hear. I've been wanting something like this for a while. Excited to play on ps4 next week.

To be fair playing > watching. Could be a turd for all I know, but it looks fun.

Was it better than Metro 2033. I only played that and loved the atmosphere, but the mechanics weren`t that good (shooting, stealth was broken).

A lot of folk seem to adore 2033 over Last Light for some of the deeper mechanics, most of which I felt were a shittier STALKER. A lot of the game systems have been downplayed, but I didn't feel their utilisation in 2033 was all that great to begin with. It's far, far more polished and better presented though, if a bit overpowered in your favour.

STALKER is one of my favourite shooters, and despite being hyped to hell 2033 failed to live up to my expectations. Last Light isn't anything like STALKER, but I thoroughly enjoyed playing it, unlike 2033. The game systems are most consistent, responsive, and satisfying. The campaign is long and well paced. Tons of atmosphere. Some rough parts that drag a little too long, and a story that isn't very compelling, but the locations and scenarios are memorable, and there's plenty of them. Satisfying shooting and stealth, the latter perhaps a bit easy to cheese.

thatJohann

Yay got my copy. Gotta love NYC mom and pop shops!

cDINcxZl.jpg

I thought STALKER was boring. way too much walking, I got to the very end of the first game. I had to find some dude at a reactor or something

and i just gave up

AW YISS

motha

fuckin

simplycdkeys

Edit: Now it's just sat there looking at me, let me install damn it! :(

Did the second key (presumably the Doom beta) register for you? Mine's coming up as invalid but I wasn't sure if that was simply because Steam hasn't started accepting the keys yet.

Game (the UK one)

Has an offer for £5 off when using the code OCCUPIED, bringing the PC version with all the tat to just under £22. Applies to the console versions too.

Nice deal, getting in on this.

Damnit I forgot about the patch.

Ah well, downloading. Can't share impressions like some other people in this thread but I will try and tackle Über difficulty so I can share some infoz about that on release day.
I love you, man. I hope Uber is for people who are good at shooters requiring skills rather than a cheap CoD aimbot difficulty since the Bethesda PR playing it in early streams didn't have much problems on I Am Death Incarnate.

Jito

Banned
Did the second key (presumably the Doom beta) register for you? Mine's coming up as invalid but I wasn't sure if that was simply because Steam hasn't started accepting the keys yet.

Nah it didn't accept my Doom key either, I guess we will have to wait until they announce more (I think it might be good while off).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There is no Doom beta key. The app will be added to the pre-order subs when it's ready.

Edit: Oh, wait, SCDK being a retail key reseller (it's too late now but you really shouldn't have done that) may mean the second key is one you have to put into an online form at a later date to receive a Steam-friendly key for the beta.

JaseC

Never had any issues buying things from SimplyCDkeys, one persons experience is not the norm.

Please don't twist my words. The point is that SCDK is not exempt the risks that apply to key resellers in general.

JaseC

How exactly did I twist your words?

You insinuated, intentionally or otherwise, that I was suggesting that Justin's case is "the norm". Regardless or whether or not his case is an anomaly, people should be made aware that SCDK is not an authorised retailer and since all pertinent proof of purchase material resides at its end, it can (and apparently has) revoked keys that people have paid for.

Levyne

Banned
This weekend I'm going to wrap up the games I'm currently in the middle of so that I have nothing on my plate when this releases finishes downloading.

Jito

Banned
You insinuated, intentionally or otherwise, that I was suggesting that Justin's case is "the norm". Regardless or whether or not his case is an anomaly, people should be made aware that SCDK is not an authorised retailer and since all pertinent proof of purchase material resides at its end, it can (and apparently has) revoked keys that people have paid for.

Touchy, clearly over thinking it a bit there pal.

JaseC

Touchy, clearly over thinking it a bit there pal.

Well, if it wasn't intended as a rebuttal, I apologise for the misunderstanding, but then you were basically just thinking out loud, in which case the crux of my response still stands -- people should know that SCDK isn't the same as GamersGate or GMG and therefore they are in no way protected should something go awry. The appraisal of "I've had no such issues and in my experience problems are rare" instils confidence without properly contextualising the circumstance that people are accepting by purchasing a second-hand key.

Jito

Banned
Well, if it wasn't intended as a rebuttal, I apologise for the misunderstanding, but then you were basically just thinking out loud, in which case the crux of my response still stands -- people should know that SCDK isn't the same as GamersGate or GMG and therefore they are in no way protected should something go awry. The appraisal of "I've had no such issues and in my experience problems are rare" instils confidence without properly contextualising the circumstance that people are accepting by purchasing a second-hand key.

Why everyone gotta be so dramatic, leave your irritations for the Nazis.

Yawn.

JaseC

Anyone know why the PC version comes with two keys, one is for Steam and the other?

I can only assume that the second key retail copies come with is one that will be needed later when Bethesda launches the Doom beta -- think needing to register the key you get with a GeForce GPU on Nvidia's site to obtain your Steam-friendly Batman key.

Shits cheap yo cant argue with that.

Very true!

I'd like to chime in on the discussion here, and share my impression of the game I played at PAX East last month.

I played on what I believe to be a PS4. The gentleman at the booth told me it was a PS4, but who knows what was inside the kiosk. While playing the game, it felt very, VERY clunky. Movement was slow and heavy. The FOV is incredibly limited, with no option to change it. I played through one of the beginning stages of the game. Military base type place that you see in the gifs in the OP. Enemies ranged from infantry soldiers, guys manning machine guns in the bunkers, robotic dogs, armor-plated-minigun-wielding dudes, and a few others. It felt very much like a typical shooter.

I've played Wolfenstein before (RTCW was my favorite), so I know the first areas of the game are very often just WW2 shooters. Shit usually gets real a few hours in. I didn't expect to fight zombies and start building crazy guns in the demo build, so I have no complaints about that.

What I do have a complaint about was the graphic quality of the build I played. The draw distance was incredibly limited when you look over a ledge at the horizon. Everything that was further than 30 feet away was a blur. You could see the cutoff point of the ocean. It was a literal black line on the ground, with the horizon coming after it.

Trailers for this game have looked incredibly dope since day 1. I've been hype for this game. I waited 2 hours to play it at PAX East, but walked away really dissatisfied. I hope it was just the build I was playing and things have been corrected (FOV slider pls), but I'll be waiting to get this game until I see a final build being streamed.

Got my shipping notice from Bestbuy.com this morning. I wasn't expecting the shipment until next week. I won't get to play until at least Thursday night or Friday since I'm vacationing in Hawaii. My PS4 is hungry for some discs.

JaseC

I wouldn't expect a FOV option for the console versions. Sure, id Tech 5 dynamically reduces the internal rendering resolution so as to best maintain a constant 60fps, but this just means that more so than (almost) ever a single FOV value plays a distinctly large part in ensuring visual consistency.

jaosobno

I'd like to chime in on the discussion here, and share my impression of the game I played at PAX East last month.

I played on what I believe to be a PS4. The gentleman at the booth told me it was a PS4, but who knows what was inside the kiosk. While playing the game, it felt very, VERY clunky. Movement was slow and heavy. The FOV is incredibly limited, with no option to change it. I played through one of the beginning stages of the game. Military base type place that you see in the gifs in the OP. Enemies ranged from infantry soldiers, guys manning machine guns in the bunkers, robotic dogs, armor-plated-minigun-wielding dudes, and a few others. It felt very much like a typical shooter.

I've played Wolfenstein before (RTCW was my favorite), so I know the first areas of the game are very often just WW2 shooters. Shit usually gets real a few hours in. I didn't expect to fight zombies and start building crazy guns in the demo build, so I have no complaints about that.

What I do have a complaint about was the graphic quality of the build I played. The draw distance was incredibly limited when you look over a ledge at the horizon. Everything that was further than 30 feet away was a blur. You could see the cutoff point of the ocean. It was a literal black line on the ground, with the horizon coming after it.

Trailers for this game have looked incredibly dope since day 1. I've been hype for this game. I waited 2 hours to play it at PAX East, but walked away really dissatisfied. I hope it was just the build I was playing and things have been corrected (FOV slider pls), but I'll be waiting to get this game until I see a final build being streamed.

Dude, I already preordered, you can't tell me shit like this now!

Quick, someone, give me positive only impressions!

Un4

Just found out this also has stealth gameplay. I wonder if the whole game can be played like that or it only applies to certain sections.

Drewfonse

Got the game on PS4
Downloading the patch since 4 hours - 45% done and...5 hours left...

Does anyone know if the patch will install while the PS4 is in standby mode? How about the Xbox One? Is it possible to DL patches and install games in Instant on mode, but while the One is technically off?

thatJohann

Been playing for an hour PS4 version, here's my honest opinion (after 5GB patch):

Graphics - rough, looks very last-gen, no anti-aliasing, but at least it's solid 60fps, no dips, however textures are low res and rough (no mega textures?), character models look a gen behind.

Controls - a bit heavy, but doable, however, my biggest annoyance is you have to press Square button to pick up every single little item (ammo, weapons, health, etc), I'm about to get carpal tunnel syndrome. Wish it would auto pick up. Leaning is fun. There is ADS, but not using it, not needed.

Sound - i don't have surround sound system, but voices are very tinny, hard to hear, i love the soundtrack online, but haven't heard any music yet in game that caught my attention.

Overall - only 1hr played, but it's OK. I wish it would pick up, it's feeling a bit generic, I need some awesome moments. I keep thinking about the jaggies as I play, it desperately needs some AA.

I still recommend it, but I hope it picks up asap...

Been playing for an hour PS4 version, here's my honest opinion (after 5GB patch):

Graphics - rough, looks very last-gen, no anti-aliasing, but at least it's solid 60fps, no dips, however textures are low res and rough (no mega textures?), character models look a gen behind.

Controls - a bit heavy, but doable, however, my biggest annoyance is you have to press Square button to pick up every single little item (ammo, weapons, health, etc), I'm about to get carpal tunnel syndrome. Wish it would auto pick up. Leaning is fun. There is ADS, but not using it, not needed.

Sound - i don't have surround sound system, but voices are very tinny, hard to hear, i love the soundtrack online, but haven't heard any music yet in game that caught my attention.

Overall - only 1hr played, but it's OK. I wish it would pick up, it's feeling a bit generic, I need some awesome moments. I keep thinking about the jaggies as I play, it desperately needs some AA.

I still recommend it, but I hope it picks up asap...

How does a game that is 60fps look like a last gen game?

Top Bottom