• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Buburibon

Let's us remind ourself that this game has good visuals from time to time :)

1375524575-67wuhg.jpg

1375524572-3nbupn.jpg

1375524558-5znum6.jpg

1375524571-2wzuas.jpg

Nhz4fq3.jpg

lLAXMrW.jpg

image_wolfenstein_the_new_order-22929-2714_0001.jpg

image_wolfenstein_the_new_order-22929-2714_0004.jpg

Thanks for the images. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but those textures (especially on guns) look much better than those on the PS4 screenshot posted above.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My art book shipped today from Amazon. I was debating on ordering the CE and limited art book but figured I'd just do the regular editions. Now to survive a week until the game shows up in the mail (and hope my PC can run it)

If you can run Rage, you'll be able to run this.

Thanks for the images. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but those textures (especially on guns) look much better than those on the PS4 screenshot posted above.

Agreed....MILES better, specifically the guns. Something stinks here. Bullshots? High res PC textures? God damn. What version are those screens from?

Visual design is the some of its parts.

People would caught up on RAGE's texture work but taken as a whole, the game looked like it's goddamn concept art, real talk.
That and it ran at 60fps.

Who

Gives

A

Fuck

About

Wall

Textures

JLeack

Banned
Visual design is the some of its parts.

People would caught up on RAGE's texture work but taken as a whole, the game looked like it's goddamn concept art, real talk.
That and it ran at 60fps.

Who

Gives

A

Fuck

About

Wall

Textures

Agreed. After playing the boring but beautiful game that is inFamous: Second Son, making wall textures such a high priority in your wishlist in a game is kind of ridiculous.

The game, as a whole, looks good. It's the character models, colors, shaders, shadows, etc. Judging just one part is unfair.

That's like zooming in on a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta's side marker light and saying it's ugly.

In most cases, yeah it is. Unless you're working with a fairly stylized and/or simple art style, 60fps on consoles demands sacrifice. Infinity Ward managed to get a lot of of their character models and certain scenes in their prime, but on the whole they seem to be the exception. Luckily for me, i don't really care about that and am just waiting on gameplay details.

I can't lie, though, I'm gonna miss that heavy lighting and detail of Escape From Butcher Bay. Again though, that game wasn't 60fps and had some janky gunplay.

Tomb Raider on PS 4 is almost 60 frames per seconds too and has nice sharp textures. Would they even look better with a 30 frames target? Of course!

But the problem with Wolfenstein is more the engine - idTech 5 - and the way its "megatextures" work.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

When the PR images differ from the console version either the screenshots were bullshots or they are from the PC version.

Agreed. After playing the boring but beautiful game that is inFamous: Second Son, making wall textures such a high priority in your wishlist in a game is kind of ridiculous.

The game, as a whole, looks good. It's the character models, colors, shaders, shadows, etc. Judging just one part is unfair.

That's like zooming in on a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta's side marker light and saying it's ugly.

Think of game's like The Witcher 2 or STALKER. Those games have some insane texture quality, but taken as a whole, I dont think they're amazing looking at all. Obviously people get to show off what their rigs are capable of with 4k res screenshots and such.

In the end, I will always prefer art over raw tech and specs...

Hopefull we get the best worlds from time to time though like with Killzone2, which I think is still the best looking game of last gen, if not one of the best ever made :)

Tomb Raider on PS 4 is almost 60 frames per seconds too and has nice sharp textures. Would they even look better with a 30 frames target? Of course!

But the problem with Wolfenstein is more the engine - idTech 5 - and the way its "megatextures" work.

TR also had a year of development after the initial release dedicated exclusively to porting the title, so that's a different scenario.

But I agree that idTech is the main culprit here.

zorbsie

Is there anything cool they are doing with the new controllers? Rumble triggers? Speaker on DS4? Touchpad? Kinect voice?

There is an option to turn on voice commands on the XB1 version but I didn't turn it on to see what it does. I'd imagine its just menu commands.

Think of game's like The Witcher 2 or STALKER. Those games have some insane texture quality, but taken as a whole, I dont think they're amazing looking at all. Obviously people get to show off what their rigs are capable of with 4k res screenshots and such.

In the end, I will always prefer art over raw tech and specs though...

Hopefull we get the best worlds from time to time though like with Killzone2, which I think is still the best looking games of last gen, if not ever made :)

I see you really like your low res textures. :D

Levyne

Banned
Those screenshots are from the official site. I won't label them as bullshots off hand, but maybe the PC version? I dunno.

Deadbeat

Banned
Those screenshots are from the official site. I won't label them as bullshots off hand, but maybe the PC version? I dunno.
Its like all the Rage screenshots taken by people on this forum. Good from afar and at specific angles, but once you get near anything it becomes garbage. I didnt have any hope at decent textures due to id tech 5. I hope that the PC version isnt garbage like Rage.
after seeing those ps4 textures.... me too
You arent getting anything better on PC. The game is the same size.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Agreed....MILES better, specifically the guns. Something stinks here. Bullshots? High res PC textures? God damn. What version are those screens from?

The PC download size is basically the same. The textures aren't going to be better.

Its like all the Rage screenshots taken by people on this forum. Good from afar and at specific angles, but once you get near anything it becomes garbage. I didnt have any hope at decent textures due to id tech 5. I hope that the PC version isnt garbage like Rage.

You arent getting anything better on PC.

But why do the guns look....better, if the perspective (first person) is the same? Granted, the ones in those better screens aren't the same gun as the PS4 screenshot. Maybe just some inconsistency?

Buburibon

I think that gun is only from the prologue. The others will likely look better.

Hopefully. I was about to hit "purchase" but that one screenshot gave me lots to think about.

When the PR images differ from the console version either the screenshots were bullshots or they are from the PC version.

I wouldn't mind getting the PC version if that were the case.

CHC

Games looks great and I'm going to get it but holy shit idTech 5 needs to be put out to pasture. Those are some ugly ass textures (I'm not a snob and the game overall has a good look though). For 50 gigs of space the game should be the best looking thing out there but the mega texture idea just has almost no advantages at all. Hearing about the same kind of pop in and low res stuff as Rage has dampened my hype a bit.

Gameplay and environments look spot on though, so bring on the 20th yo.

DieH@rd

Banned
People, PS4 version of the game is 50GB + 5GB patch. Textures will not look better on PC.

It will look better only for those who can use supersampling.

Deadbeat

Banned
But why do the guns look....better, if the perspective (first person) is the same? Granted, the ones in those better screens aren't the same gun as the PS4 screenshot. Maybe just some inconsistency?
Stuff probably isnt loading in properly or its the typical bullshot. You have to remember id tech 5 is hilariously bad with its streaming.

pixlexic

Banned
People, PS4 version of the game is 50GB + 5GB patch. Textures will not look better on PC.

It will look better only for those who can use supersampling.

You just contradicted yourself .

PC gamers have access to settings that console versions do not have. Higher resolution .. Better aa .. Better AF

All these things will make the textures and over all game look better.

In the end, I will always prefer art over raw tech and specs...

Hopefull we get the best worlds from time to time though like with Killzone2, which I think is still the best looking game of last gen, if not one of the best ever made :)

I think you need to go look at the Witcher 2 on very high/ultra and then come back. That game looks amazing as a whole. As did stalker when it was releases.

thatJohann

It has nice little touches like bloody hands and there is a permanent noise filter applied which I don't like but it guess creates some atmosphere. PS4.

q2QxHjH.jpg

You just contradicted yourself .

PC gamers have access to settings that console versions do not have. Higher resolution .. Better aa .. Better AF

All these things will make the textures and over all game look better.

Sorry I'm not the best with this stuff, but how does resolution, AA and AF increase texture quality? I was under the impression those would just "clean" up the overall image quality.

jaosobno

Well, in full honesty, I knew this game isn't going to be the next graphical masterpiece. After seeing all of those trailers, I was drawn to the game because of atmosphere and fluid gameplay.

As long as game looks decent and above all, runs smoothly, I don't care about a few crappy textures.

Preorder NOT cancelled!

dreamfall

Playing some Syndicate before this drops to prepare!

Goodness, I'm excited. Starbreeze will always be my favorite developer for FPS!

I just hope the pre-load behind soon!

pixlexic

Banned
Sorry I'm not the best with this stuff, but how does resolution, AA and AF increase texture quality? I was under the impression those would just "clean" up the overall image quality.

You just said it. :/

Those will make the textures sharper.

Filtering textures ads texture data where there was none. All those thing help with the filtering of the texture.

You just said it. :/

Those will make the textures sharper.

Filtering textures ads texture data where there was none. All those thing help with the filtering of the texture.

Thanks, I didn't know it actually added data to the texture itself. I was picturing the texture as an "image" (ie the bricks on a wall) and thought those extra settings would just do work on things like the edges. Really curious to see some maxed out PC screens vs PS4.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Graphics look perfectly fine to me but then I loved Rages look as well. I just want to shoot, stab and grenade many many Nazis :)

Mask

Well, looks like my PS4 Occupied Edition was shipped by GAME today. Hoping it'll show up tomorrow.

The tracking for my LE Artbook shows that it's way to an airport. Due to me being a UK person, I'm not expecting to get the Artbook or Panzerhund Edition before the end of the month.

Top Bottom