• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Sweep14

Does anyone know if the patch will install while the PS4 is in standby mode? How about the Xbox One? Is it possible to DL patches and install games in Instant on mode, but while the One is technically off?

the patch is being installed on my PS4 while it's in standby mode yes

GrayFoxPL

Been playing for an hour PS4 version, here's my honest opinion (after 5GB patch):

Graphics - rough, looks very last-gen, no anti-aliasing, but at least it's solid 60fps, no dips, however textures are low res and rough (no mega textures?), character models look a gen behind.

Controls - a bit heavy, but doable, however, my biggest annoyance is you have to press Square button to pick up every single little item (ammo, weapons, health, etc), I'm about to get carpal tunnel syndrome. Wish it would auto pick up. Leaning is fun. There is ADS, but not using it, not needed.

Sound - i don't have surround sound system, but voices are very tinny, hard to hear, i love the soundtrack online, but haven't heard any music yet in game that caught my attention.

Overall - only 1hr played, but it's OK. I wish it would pick up, it's feeling a bit generic, I need some awesome moments. I keep thinking about the jaggies as I play, it desperately needs some AA.

I still recommend it, but I hope it picks up asap...

Can you customize controls?

Like change L3 to something else? I have huge trouble pushing L3, what does it do here? Crouch or sprint I bet... :/

M.W.

I was going to just DL it off of PSN because I thought pre loading was now an option. Don't think I'll be going digital if I can't pre load.

Dr Dogg

Graphics - rough, looks very last-gen, no anti-aliasing, but at least it's solid 60fps, no dips, however textures are low res and rough (no mega textures?), character models look a gen behind.

Yeah see the reason you might find the textures a bit rough is actually because of MegaTextures. Unlike other methods where models are made of various different textures on different sheets MegaTextures are one really big sheet that gets wrapped around the model (like one massive sheet of wrapping paper over an object but fitted to the shape). Works great at a distance but it's not something you can look at under close inspection and expect it to look highly detailed.

Carmack gave a much better explanation on how the tech works when Quake Wars came out and a more through talk about it at his 2011 QuakeCon keynote if anyone is interested.

Edit: Or I could stop being lazy and go link it. John starts talking about MegaTextures around the 10 mins mark but they're always worth a watch.

thatJohann

PS4 textures. :(

j45p3Sf.jpg

Looking forward to DF comparison with XBO.

Sullichin

One of my friends worked on some of the music in the trailers, cool to see that mentioned here!

Really want to hear some PC impressions. I think I want this.

JLeack

Banned
Been playing for an hour PS4 version, here's my honest opinion (after 5GB patch):

Controls - a bit heavy, but doable, however, my biggest annoyance is you have to press Square button to pick up every single little item (ammo, weapons, health, etc), I'm about to get carpal tunnel syndrome. Wish it would auto pick up. Leaning is fun. There is ADS, but not using it, not needed.

Sound - i don't have surround sound system, but voices are very tinny, hard to hear, i love the soundtrack online, but haven't heard any music yet in game that caught my attention.

Overall - only 1hr played, but it's OK. I wish it would pick up, it's feeling a bit generic, I need some awesome moments. I keep thinking about the jaggies as I play, it desperately needs some AA.

The prologue is crap. Just wait until after...

Jito

Banned
Glad I don't play games for textures, if you look closely every game has bum textures in them, not everything needs to be super high res awesomeness.

Melchiah

Fuuuu... I'm beginning to think about cancelling the pre-order, and buying this when it's 30€ or less. I'm not fond of the idea of paying a full price for last gen looks. Let alone, if it's a mediocre game on top of that.

Murtrod

Can anyone post an impression for gameplay/plot AFTER the prologue? I feel like I can get past a weak prologue, assuming the entirety of the plot works. Story is second to gameplay for me.

Can anyone post an impression for gameplay/plot AFTER the prologue? I feel like I can get past a weak prologue, assuming the entirety of the plot works. Story is second to gameplay for me.

We've seen footage from and read impressions of the prologue a hundreds times by now. I'm waiting for deeper impressions from people halfway through or near the end. The stuff from what I think was chapters 2 and 3 looked much more interesting.

So while I appreciate the early impressions, y'know, all you good folks should just keep playing for a while.

murgo

I can't fucking believe this. I pre-ordered the PS4 version at Amazon.co.uk... and just received this mail:

Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)

------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately this item is not available for sale to your chosen delivery address due to publisher restrictions. We have therefore cancelled your order for this item and you will not be charged for it.
We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused and hope to see you again soon.

This is RIDICULOUS!

DieH@rd

Banned

Pls report after 3-4 more hours. We all saw how early sections of the game look and feel. I'm way more interested in the rest of the game.

GavinUK86

I can't fucking believe this. I pre-ordered the PS4 version at Amazon.co.uk... and just received this mail:

Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)

------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately this item is not available for sale to your chosen delivery address due to publisher restrictions. We have therefore cancelled your order for this item and you will not be charged for it.
We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused and hope to see you again soon.

This is RIDICULOUS!

Damn son, that sucks. What country are you in?

Unit24

It's actually a bit refreshing to get some lukewarm or negative impressions.

Those kinds of impressions are necessary for keeping our hype in check. Without them, we'd overhype the game for ourselves and probably get disappointed.

But yeah, I also want to hear more about how the game is later on, because we've already seen and heard a lot about the prologue.

If you played the prologue thats just 2% of the game . Give impressions after at least 50%'of the game

DieH@rd

Banned
PS4 textures. :(

j45p3Sf.jpg

Heh, textures will look the same on Xbone. :D

Lets face it people, this was never gonna be a looker. It was made by a small team from Sweden who barely survived its foundation and which has gotten permission to work on this IP [they wanted to make the this game] only if they used iD Tech 5. 3 years of work, targeting of 5 platforms, all with 60fps requirement.

I'm happy that it looks as nice as it looks. :)
Even though sometimes it looks like ass

Too much to ask for both?

In most cases, yeah it is. Unless you're working with a fairly stylized and/or simple art style, 60fps on consoles demands sacrifice. Infinity Ward managed to get a lot of of their character models and certain scenes in their prime, but on the whole they seem to be the exception. Luckily for me, i don't really care about that and am just waiting on gameplay details.

I can't lie, though, I'm gonna miss that heavy lighting and detail of Escape From Butcher Bay. Again though, that game wasn't 60fps and had some janky gunplay.

dhi

Neo Member
idTech5 textures. :(

j45p3Sf.jpg

fixed.

The problem with textures on idTech5 isn't power but disk space. I guess you could have better textures but do you really want to swap 3-4 blu-rays in 2014 or have your hard disk filled up with just one game?

What I saw and heard so far is that gameplay feels great so now I just have to wait till my PS4 copy arrives...

Portman

My art book shipped today from Amazon. I was debating on ordering the CE and limited art book but figured I'd just do the regular editions. Now to survive a week until the game shows up in the mail (and hope my PC can run it)

Top Bottom