• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women's March on Washington |OT| An intersectional march for all in 600+ cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

the one in Pittsburgh is a clusterfuck apparently. I guess it was originally organized by all (or mostly) white women. They were criticized on their FB page for lack of diversity and started deleting people's comments. Not good.

There's another march unaffiliated with the Sister's March in the East Liberty section of the city that seems to be the one to attend.

What's the story with the pro-life groups being kicked out? Seems like it goes against the message of unity in the face of someone like Trump.
I would assume that goes against the message they're trying to send. I don't know the full story, but that's all I can think of.
We believe in Reproductive Freedom. We do not accept any federal, state or local rollbacks, cuts or restrictions on our ability to access quality reproductive healthcare services, birth control, HIV/AIDS care and prevention, or medically accurate sexuality education. This means open access to safe, legal, affordable abortion and birth control for all people, regardless of income, location or education. We understand that we can only have reproductive justice when reproductive health care is accessible to all

Dr.Acula

Banned
Fair enough, I always thought black was OK, but brown was offensive. Learn something new all the time.

I guess it changes with what people want to be called, how like "coloured" is offensive, but "of colour" is OK. Seems weird to me but I don't know anything so there's no point in questioning it.

The people I know who self-identify as brown are Indian and other South Asian peoples.

A few pics from the candlelight march in Tokyo..
kdw0SFj.jpg

7sxe0Eo.jpg

p6feUYt.jpg
https://twitter.com/LittleLizu/status/822378584119484416
https://twitter.com/mkimpo_kid/status/822466133227761664

Arkeband

Banned
http://www.gallup.com/poll/170249/split-abortion-pro-choice-pro-life.aspx

Only 50% of women describe themselves as Pro-Choice. 41% say they are Pro-Life. Your comparison is ludicrous.

There are Muslim women who vehemently defend being completely covered from head to toe as some ancient tradition of modesty, even as we know it is a regional doctrine enforced by mortal men on women as a form of control.

So presenting to me that a minority of any group of historically oppressed human beings is against their own self interest is unsurprising.

There were women who weren't sure if they wanted voting rights, either.

Nista

Taking my mom down to DC one tomorrow.

Not sure if we want to get there right at 10AM, if the walking doesn't start until 1:15PM. Her knees aren't the greatest, and we're not allowed to bring anything to sit on.

limlark

Almost 5,000 RSVPs so far for mine. Until I read some of these posts, I thought that was a pretty big number! I wonder how many will actually be there.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
My girlfriend is going down to DC with her friend.

Another friend asked me, "Um, why are people marching? Do they think it'll really make a difference?"

I explained to him that making a tangible, logistical difference is not the point. The point is so be heard regardless of what happens, and it's pretty amazing to see so many people unify under this kind of solidarity.

Ogodei

Will be marching in DC tomorrow. It's important to remind the minority of voters who voted for Trump that they are, indeed, the smaller group, and they can't game the system to keep us down forever.

gaiages

Banned
Got one in our town, FB says 2.5k people are going but it'll probably be far less because of the rain.

I really want to go, but I'm not feeling too hot today and going out in the rain is no bueno. :(

A shame too, because with the times I could have actually made it there and home (usually the bus system isn't too great with getting anywhere on the weekend lol)

smisk

Going to the DC one with my mom tomorrow! I imagine it'll be a clusterfuck getting down there, but should be fun. Never done anything like this before!

Meeting friends for breakfast around 8 or 9 tomorrow morning, and then we're heading out to the DC march.

I'm a federal employee and military officer. I can't not do this, especially when I live in Chinatown, right next to the protest area.

White fragility, as described below, ain't gonna stop this train.
NY Times: Women's March on Washington Opens Contentious Dialogues About Race
Ms. Willis, a 50-year-old wedding minister from South Carolina, had looked forward to taking her daughters to the march. Then she read a post on the Facebook page for the march that made her feel unwelcome because she is white.

The post, written by a black activist from Brooklyn who is a march volunteer, advised ”white allies" to listen more and talk less. It also chided those who, it said, were only now waking up to racism because of the election.

”You don't just get to join because now you're scared, too," read the post. ”I was born scared."

The post that offended Ms. Willis was part of that effort. So was the quotation posted on the march's Facebook page from Bell Hooks, the black feminist, about forging a stronger sisterhood by ”confronting the ways women — through sex, class and race — dominated and exploited other women."

In response, a New Jersey woman wrote: ”I'm starting to feel not very welcome in this endeavor."

Ms. Willis, the South Carolina wedding minister, had been looking forward to the salve of rallying with people who share her values, a rarity in her home state, where she said she had been insulted and shouted at for marrying gay couples.

But then she read a post by ShiShi Rose, a 27-year-old blogger from Brooklyn.

”Now is the time for you to be listening more, talking less," Ms. Rose wrote. ”You should be reading our books and understanding the roots of racism and white supremacy. Listening to our speeches. You should be drowning yourselves in our poetry."

It rubbed Ms. Willis the wrong way.

”How do you know that I'm not reading black poetry?" she asked in an interview. Ms. Willis says that she understands being born white gives her advantages, and that she is always open to learning more about the struggles of others.

But, she said, ”The last thing that is going to make me endeared to you, to know you and love you more, is if you are sitting there wagging your finger at me."

Ms. Rose said in an interview that the intention of the post was not to weed people out but rather to make them understand that they had a lot of learning to do.

”I needed them to understand that they don't just get to join the march and not check their privilege constantly," she said.

That phrase — check your privilege — exasperates Ms. Willis. She asked a reporter: ”Can you please tell me what that means?"

Stung by the tone, Ms. Willis canceled her trip.

”This is a women's march," she said. ”We're supposed to be allies in equal pay, marriage, adoption. Why is it now about, ‘White women don't understand black women'?"​
In Tennessee, emotions ran high when organizers changed the name of the local march from ”Women's March on Washington-Nashville" to ”Power Together Tennessee, in solidarity with Women's March on Washington." While many applauded the name change, which was meant to signal the start of a new social justice movement in Nashville, some complained that the event had turned from a march for all women into a march for black women.​
In Louisiana, the first state coordinator gave up her volunteer role in part because there were no minority women in leadership positions at that time.

”I got a lot of flak locally when I stepped down, from white women who said that I'm alienating a lot of white women," said Candice Huber, a bookstore owner in New Orleans, who is white. ”They said, ‘Why do you have to be so divisive?'"​

The best thing about this is how they didn't let the March be conceded to white feminism. Hired black, latinx, and muslim women to head the national committee too.

besada

Banned
where were all these white women when it was time to vote?

Presumably voting for Clinton. Trump had white women by 53%. That leaves a lot of white women to march. Also, the Women's March isn't just white women. Try being less of an ass next time.

The best thing about this is how they didn't let the March be conceded to white feminism. Hired black, latinx, and muslim women to head the national committee too.

09womensmarch-master768.jpg

From left, Tamika Mallory, a gun control advocate and board member of the Gathering for Justice, a nonprofit founded by Harry Belafonte; Linda Sarsour, executive director of the Arab American Association of New York; Bob Bland, founder of Manufacture New York; and Carmen Perez, executive director of the Gathering for Justice.​

Cool to see a muslim there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom