• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Word on Killzone Demo

I just got back from EBGames, GameStop and Circuit City. I went out looking for the Killzone demo, and neither EB, or GameStop had it in...Which was really weird...But I think I found the reason for this.

I headed over to Circuit City on the other side of town, and what do they have in? The Killzone demo. Apparently, the Killzone demo is Circuit City exclusive. The Circuit City logo is on the demo's box art.

So, I went home with the demo after putting $10.00 down on Killzone, and paying an extra cent for the disk. This Sunday, I'm going to head back, and get my $10 pre-order back, and I get to keep the demo disk.

Anyway, I just thought that I'd warn you...Maybe I'm missing something, but I think that this demo is Circuit City exclusive.

Anyway, the demo has two levels on it...And the box says it's for 1-2 players, but I can't find a 2P option...Any help?

I'm going to have full impressions up on the GAF by the end of the night. But I just thought I'd let you guys know, if you don't know already.

IJoel

Mike Works said:
So there are no impressions on the demo in this thread, but you did leave an advertisement for another forum?

Yeah, wtf is up with that.

ADVERTISE IN GAF!

OK, I'll give you impressions.

- Visually, it is all it's hyped up to be. Undoubtedly the best looking first-person shooter on the PlayStation 2.

- Gameplay wise, it's coming along quite well. It really feels like your in a war, which is helped by the atmosphere, and the way the enemies fight against you, as well as the level design.

- In the first level, it's basically all out trench warfare. It literally feels like World War I. It's pretty cool.

- The second level, you can choose between three characters, and it's an urban warfare level. You get to use the Sniper Rifle for the first time, which in my opinion, sucks. The aiming is just all screwed up.

- The grenades are also a little...Eh...Definitely not Master Chief on our hands here. They are a little hard to throw.

Overall, I came away pretty impressed. It's not the "Halo killer", that it was initially hyped up to be, but it's coming along well. I have no doubt that it will be the best first-person shooter on the PlayStation 2.

Any help on the two-player thing from anyone else who owns the demo?

rs7k

If it's CC-exclusive, then how do I get it here in Canada? :(

I won't have the money to actually buy Killzone.

Wario64 said:
Well Circuit City ain't gonna get my shiny penny :p

Not to be a complete downer, but here's the text on both my R&C:UYA demo and all of my OPM demos:

Unauthorized copying, reproduction, rental, public performance, or broadcast of this game may be a violation of applicable laws.

I know it says "may", but so does EVERY PS2 game.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Well the way that master chief throws grenades is hardly realistic either.

Cheers,
bbyybb.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Burger said:
Here are my impressions of the Killzone demo:

It sucks shit.

SECONDED.

God, I think my hands have cancer now.

i want to play Killzone, but i don't want to have to put a preorder down and then go re-collect it a week later. I'll just wait til its on a jampack demo disc, or rent it or something.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
sonycowboy said:
And you've formed our impressions of you many times. Thanks for posting though. You're batting 1.000

You have played killzone demo?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
bbyybb said:

Is a single element of Halo realistic? Nope. Realistic isn't the issue, fun is, and thats what Killzone ain't.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I didn't mean to troll or anything i was just stating that neither one is better than the other.
Both do it different because of the different types of games and the different approach the game has. I have nothing against halo, it was a fun game :)

Cheers,
bbyybb.

Burger

catfish said:
You have played killzone demo?

Hahaha, haven't you noticed sonycowboy only posts positive PS2 news and negative Xbox news ?? You'd think the guy was on the payroll.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
No, no one noticed that someone named "sonycowboy" would do such a thing.

Either way, I wanted this game too, there's room in my gaming life for both, lol. I've heard from others that it's only average as well too. I'm going to rent it, if the online rocks, I'm buyin' it.

gmoran

Burger said:
Here are my impressions of the Killzone demo:

It sucks shit.

How about some impressions? How about some idea of why you don't like the demo? Something coherent instead of this.

Ditto Catfish

bbyybb said:

The gun grenade combination, and the way they play, in Halo is (IMO) one of the things that makes its gameplay godly.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
bbyybb said:

Cheers,
bbyybb.

How do you know how a 7ft super soldier from 500 years in the future throws grenades?

pilonv1

I posted some demo impressions at OA a while ago. Basically it's animation is brilliant and it has some nice texturing. However the controls are horrible (thanks Dual Shock!) and the game is quite dull (demo levels are way too scripted). The only awesome thing about it was that I could customise it to southpaw controls.

As someone else said it will probably end up being the best FPS on PS2 but that's like being the best mature game on Gamecube. There's still a half dozen to a dozen FPS that would be more interesting, however I'm willing to give the final game another look to see how it goes.

Burger

gmoran said:
How about some impressions? How about some idea of why you don't like the demo? Something coherent instead of this.

Yawn...

Aliasing was so bad it almost put me off, framerate wasn't great, controls were awkward, enemys were stupid. Wasn't very taken in by the game if you know what I mean. Some bits were quite scripted (i.e take out x ammount of spawning enemys before you are allowed to advance).

Face it, Halo raised the bar, other games need to at least reach it, or they will not look good in it's shadow.

gmoran

Burger said:
Yawn...
Face it, Halo raised the bar, other games need to at least reach it, or they will not look good in it's shadow.

I sort of agree; I don't think all FPS need to be at Halo's standard; but if they aren't then they need to be bringing something new to the party. There are two things that I'm looking forward to in KZ: one is that your soldier isn't disembodied; the other is that it seems to have captured the look (art, style) of the battlefied - a militarised Ico as it were. Still these will count for naught if the controls are badly implemented; lets hope the final game improves on this.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Let me just throw the word CONSOLE in here to try and keep the PC gamers away.

Oh shit here they come...HIDE!

Brofist

Burger said:

That's what Halo 2 is for...for the console only playing crowd at least.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Here is my impression of killzone. Be warned, it's negative. I mean it's sitting in the next room and I am never going to play it again.

Started off in a trench and you have to shoot these guys that just keep running at you, they are quite hard to see and the gun you start with sucks, it rides up real quick and although I haven't played a shooter on ps2 for a while I don't remember the controls feeling this weird any other game. Possibly partly dual shock but definately mostly killzone. So you kill these guys and then your squad guy moves a knee high barbed wire fence so you can run into another trench and shoot more guys from a trench.

At this point I was saying "man this game sucks a bit" and Burger was saying "Yeah the game really sucks huh" So I quit.

I would buy killzone, but only if I paid a dime and got 11 other generic war shooters with it.which is all it felt like.

This probably sounds a bit mean, but when the GAF hype train gets me excited for something and then it lets me down I get a bit dark about it.

Finally, just because, this game couldn't kill a Halo 2 slurpee cup.

gmoran

This is a demo, so the final game may improve. It sounds like the E3 demo, so there has certainly been lots of time to improve.

It also depends on your expectations. This should never have been touted as a Halo killer (C&VG). If your expectations were that high, then you are more likely to be disapointed.

It's not just that Halo is so good, but that it redefined the genre: KZ would have to be extraordinary to achieve that.

But it is doing some things differently, and so is worthy of interest. In particular in KZ you have a body; you're not a floating reticle with arms and a gun. As an example your head responds to youir movements: go over an obstacle and you look down at your hand as you manouvre over it. Now I've always wanted to play an FPS that behaved more realistically in that respect, but I also wondered whether (like Trespasser) it might make the experience too difficult to control.

gmoran

Official UK Magazine next month - apparently. But will it be the E3 demo?

I'm waiting for the Edge review before I decide to buy this; my mate's been playing the on-line beta and there are definately problems there - not insurmountable but definately in need of some polishing.

Brofist

No big deal for me, even my highest expectations for Killzone are low, as are 99% of console FPS since they suck compared to PC ones.

gmoran

kpop100 said:
No big deal for me, even my highest expectations for Killzone are low, as are 99% of console FPS since they suck compared to PC ones.

Work induced RSI has killed of PC FPS's for me. Perhaps I'll return when PC games start to standardize on the MS Controller S (if they release one) - but I'll never use a mouse on a game again.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
sonycowboy said:
I don't think demos are exempt from piracy concerns. I know that the whole MGS3 thing went on and on today, but I don't know.

I think it's silly NOT to make a demo version accessible for all. What is the point of releasing a demo version otherwise? I thought they wanted as many people possible to play the demo version, in order to gather interest in the game before release.

Demo versions have been available for download for just about every PC game for years. That's why I was hoping downloadable demo versions would become reality with the online functions for this gen, especially with Xbox.

Brofist

gmoran said:
Work induced RSI has killed of PC FPS's for me. Perhaps I'll return when PC games start to standardize on the MS Controller S (if they release one) - but I'll never use a mouse on a game again.

That's too bad to hear

There are USB adapters for connecting Xbox controllers already aren't there. I know there are for PS2 controllers.

gmoran

kpop100 said:
That's too bad to hear

There are USB adapters for connecting Xbox controllers already aren't there. I know there are for PS2 controllers.

I've tried a USB adapted PS2 controller on both Far Cry and PC Halo, and the experience was pretty bad. While I'm sure a controller S would be better, I think the real issue is that PC shooters aren't currently written with dual analogue control in mind. Which is why I was pleased by MS's announcements on building PC Controller S support into XNA.

However I suspect the best solution is to play them when they get ported to Xbox, which is what I'm planning for Doom3 and HL2.

Other notes, after playing throught the first level again...

- Your health recharges, ala Halo

- You can only carry two weapons at a time...ala Halo

- The game moves slower than some other first-person shooters...It's definitely not a run and gun game from what I've played. The pacing is slower.

Top Bottom