• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wordle |OT| Daily Word Game | Share Your Scores

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I believe the key is to think broader. The closest guess I had before I got today's word was 19-something, then I started thinking of what words I could commonly associate with the best ones I tried, and managed to guess correctly on the next try. It's a really interesting game.

The problem I have now is that I have one guess at like 20 and one at 36, and I see zero semantic similarity between those. So I don't know how to think about that.

flower: 20%
show: 36%

So what, rank 999 means it's the closest possible word to the correct one? Or rank 2 does? Shouldn't the target word have rank 1? Weird.

My current best guess has 36% similarity and rank 957. So what does that mean, that there are just 43 more similar words even though this one is just 36% similar?
Rank 957 means exactly that, yes. My closest word to the guess was rank 988 and it only had 44% similarity. It happens when words are quite similar and still rather different at the same time. It's definitely not random though, the differently ranked words really helped me get to the solution.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Rank 957 means exactly that, yes. My closest word to the guess was rank 988 and it only had 44% similarity. It happens when words are quite similar and still rather different at the same time. It's definitely not random though, the differently ranked words really helped me get to the solution.

I gave up.

The correct word was "display". My best guess was "show", which was given a similarity of 36%. That seems very low? They mean basically the same thing (when used as a verb).

So I feel like that led me away from the solution, and I don't know how I could have solved it.

The problem I have now is that I have one guess at like 20 and one at 36, and I see zero semantic similarity between those. So I don't know how to think about that.

flower: 20%
show: 36%
I can point you in the right direction, if you want. In two ways.
"Achievement" and "Trophy"
What do you do with a flower? Or perhaps many flowers? When something pretty or interesting, like a flower or flowers, is shown prominently, what is it?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I can point you in the right direction, if you want. In two ways.
"Achievement" and "Trophy"
What do you do with a flower? Or perhaps many flowers? When something pretty or interesting, like a flower or flowers, is shown prominently, what is it?

Like I wrote in my previous post, I gave up, and I don't know how I could have guessed it based on the low similarity ratings my guesses got.

So I feel like that led me away from the solution, and I don't know how I could have solved it.
English is weird, and words have different meanings. You could have solved it by trying synonyms, at the very least.
The common term that linked my top words for me, among others like 'medal', was 'display case'. I tried 'display' first, and got it right. :)

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
English is weird, and words have different meanings. You could have solved it by trying synonyms, at the very least.
The common term that linked my top words for me, among others like 'medal', was 'display case'. I tried 'display' first, and got it right. :)

Yeah, but don't you agree that my best guess should have had a better rating than 36%? I don't feel like this works in a way where you can reason your way to the answer, unless you're lucky.

Last edited:
I gave up.

The correct word was "display". My best guess was "show", which was given a similarity of 36%. That seems very low? They mean basically the same thing (when used as a verb).

I think the low similarity comes from the fact that show can mean very different things. My closest word was "exhibition" with 44%.

Here's my top words:

gettingclose7fklu.png

Yeah, but don't you agree that my best guess should have had a better rating than 36%? I don't feel like this works in a way where you can reason your way to the answer, unless you're lucky.
"Display" is many things, that "show" isn't. It's semantically close in one sense, but there are many things that will land closer. You could argue that 'display' and 'monitor' should be close, because it's two words for the same thing as well (i.e. a PC monitor, also called a display), but they're also a lot of things that each other isn't, so 'monitor' is actually pretty far away at like 10%. Meanwhile "performance" is at 28.4 and actually lands on the "closest 1000" scale, because the divergence in possible meanings is smaller.

Also keep in mind the numbers shown in the lead-in text above. For todays word, the tenth closest word, was at 46.5%. Your guess landed extremely close, and you could have gotten it by just trying synonyms.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
"Display" is many things, that "show" isn't. It's semantically close in one sense, but there are many things that will land closer. You could argue that 'display' and 'monitor' should be close, because it's two words for the same thing as well (i.e. a PC monitor, also called a display), but they're also a lot of things that each other isn't, so 'monitor' is actually pretty far away at like 10%. Meanwhile "performance" is at 28.4 and actually lands on the "closest 1000" scale, because the divergence in possible meanings is smaller.

Also keep in mind the numbers shown in the lead-in text above. For todays word, the tenth closest word, was at 46.5%. Your guess landed extremely close, and you could have gotten it by just trying synonyms.

Ok, so the word having a meaning that is pretty much a direct synonym won't give it a high rating if it also has other meanings that are less relevant? That makes it very difficult I think, because you don't know if the reason for the low rating is that it's not very similar or because it ALSO has other meanings. The reason I didn't try any more synonyms of that word was precisely because I thought the low similarity meant I was just way off. As you say, my guess was in fact very close, but the game didn't indicate that to me.

Last edited:
apologies if this was already mentioned: this popped up in my dev talk feed.

It's (very) similar to Wordle, but with some rule changes: You don't guess missing letters, more that all the letters are there, you just need to put them in the right places. Try it.

It's different, a spin on it. I don't think it's "better" or anything banal like that.

Kuranghi

Ugh, new site is annoying, it was broken for me and I had to keep refreshing it to bring back the unused letters after each guess, it was greying out random/too many letters.

edit:

Wordle 238 6/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟨⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟨🟨⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟨🟩⬛
🟩⬛⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Messed up my early guesses by confusing me with the bug :/

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
apologies if this was already mentioned: this popped up in my dev talk feed.

It's (very) similar to Wordle, but with some rule changes: You don't guess missing letters, more that all the letters are there, you just need to put them in the right places. Try it.

It's different, a spin on it. I don't think it's "better" or anything banal like that.

That's alright, but seems like you can't lose?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Top Bottom