• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 Fantasy League

Tf53

woodchuck said:
should have made Suarez my captain :(

i also have the random korean dude that scored :lol
I almost traded Forlan for Suarez, but I'm happy either way. I also had the Korean dude, as well as Jungsoo, who got 7 points despite letting in 2 goals. Now hoping for a US monster win over Ghana. :)

woodchuck

Tf53 said:
I almost traded Forlan for Suarez, but I'm happy either way. I also had the Korean dude, as well as Jungsoo, who got 7 points despite letting in 2 goals. Now hoping for a US monster win over Ghana. :)

*high five*

Tf53

I'm noticing that FF is seriously messing with my enjoyment of the matches. It's hard to be thrilled by an amazing goal when it costs me 10 points. :(

n0n44m

Tf53 said:
I'm noticing that FF is seriously messing with my enjoyment of the matches. It's hard to be thrilled by an amazing goal when it costs me 10 points. :(

it caused me to actually cheer for every German goal :(

Tf53

Hindsight 20-20, I really fucked up my picks for Round of 16. I should've picked evenly from each four branches of the tournament tree. As it is now, I have 4 US players and 2 Koreans I need to get rid of. If there are upsets in the later games, I'm royally fucked.

To make matters worse, I have 3 Argentinians and 4 Germans. FML. I'm gonna need a miracle to stay in the top 10. I'm really considering giving up on the FF crap to focus on enjoying the awesome entertainment these games are offering instead of being upset that Messi still won't score. I know if I get rid of him, he's gonna bury Germany with a hat trick.

woodchuck

Tf53 said:
Hindsight 20-20, I really fucked up my picks for Round of 16. I should've picked evenly from each four branches of the tournament tree. As it is now, I have 4 US players and 2 Koreans I need to get rid of. If there are upsets in the later games, I'm royally fucked.

To make matters worse, I have 3 Argentinians and 4 Germans. FML. I'm gonna need a miracle to stay in the top 10. I'm really considering giving up on the FF crap to focus on enjoying the awesome entertainment these games are offering instead of being upset that Messi still won't score. I know if I get rid of him, he's gonna bury Germany with a hat trick.

I still had Rooney on my team from the 1st day. I thought if I transferred him, he'd finally score. But fuck. Rooney did fuck all today.

woodchuck

I'm a fucking idiot.

I have Fabiano and RVP still. Problem is that they both play on the same day. I can't play both of them. Which one do you think I should play? My heart says RVP just because he's one of my favorite players, but my brain says Fabiano :(

I had Messi as my captain. He got 8x2 points. I don't know if I should change that or not. 8 is in that grey area where it's not bad, but it's not going to propel you close to the lead.

Tf53

woodchuck said:
I'm a fucking idiot.

I have Fabiano and RVP still. Problem is that they both play on the same day. I can't play both of them. Which one do you think I should play? My heart says RVP just because he's one of my favorite players, but my brain says Fabiano :(

I had Messi as my captain. He got 8x2 points. I don't know if I should change that or not. 8 is in that grey area where it's not bad, but it's not going to propel you close to the lead.
I'd go with RVP. Slovakia is weaker than Chile, and Netherlands have Robben back in the line-up. I'm not subbing Messi out, because I'm ok with 8 points, and I need every point at this stage. If I start chasing for more than 8, I know I'm really losing it. :) RVP will have to wait for next round. I also decided against subbing Messi for Podolski earlier today. :(

Right now my 3 forwards have a combined total of 27 points, my midfield 3 is at 19 and my defense 4 at 21 (with Lahm as my captain with a whopping 6 points). Romero was my last proper keeper, and he got 4 points because he didn't even try to catch the goal.

I have one defender left, so I'll be stuck with 12 points + Komano's points from JPN/PAR down there. I'll have to hope for a monster game from Elano. If he fucks up, I'll have two slots to fill with Iniesta, Matsui and Honda. If he has a good game, I think I'll only play Honda.

I'm just hoping to stay in the GAF top 10. I need a huge break, though.

n0n44m

MOTHER FUCKING FUCK FUCK FUCK

that penalty just cost me 10 points FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

oh wait yellow as well make that 11

Tf53

n0n44m said:
MOTHER FUCKING FUCK FUCK FUCK

that penalty just cost me 10 points FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

oh wait yellow as well make that 11
Yeah, at that point I wasn't mad at myself for trading out Stekelenburg anymore. :D

I did, however, trade Van Persie for Messi. :(

n0n44m

Tf53 said:
Yeah, at that point I wasn't mad at myself for trading out Stekelenburg anymore. :D

I did, however, trade Van Persie for Messi. :(

put V Persie in for some Uruguayan striker but he got 5 pts as well (don't make me regret not playing L Fabiano tonight lol)

ugh really pissed about that bullshit penalty, would have had 103 pts in that case =/

maybe Maicon makes up for it tonight ^^

Tf53

n0n44m said:
put V Persie in for some Uruguayan striker but he got 5 pts as well (don't make me regret not playing L Fabiano tonight lol)

ugh really pissed about that bullshit penalty, would have had 103 pts in that case =/

maybe Maicon makes up for it tonight ^^
I think Chile will score at least once. I really need Elano to have a huge game. I'm way behind at the moment, and this round doesn't look good. Next round will be crappy due to too many substitutions, but I hope I can catch a break by the semifinal round.

thy_

b46q2e.jpg

My best round so far.
Only thing I could have made better so far, would have been to put V-tec (got 9) in instead of van Persie and making Müller my Captain. :O

But now I've really no idea, who I should put in for tomorrow.
Any suggestions?

n0n44m

350uzir.png

my best round yet as well ! 101 points

It would have been 113 without that crappy penalty, so now I'm still gonna put in Honda, Ramos & Coentrao as they almost always get 5 points or more (subbing out the 5 pointers obviously) ... let's just milk out this semi-lucky streak I guess :D

then I'll need to think about transfers ... (I don't need 23 players from the teams that made it to the quarters right? Those who got knocked out can just stay on the bench?)

---

I don't think there is much improvement to be had thy_ :p , 5 V Persie or 6 Ozil I'd might gamble, but I wouldn't touch a 7 personally

Honda & Villa have been important for their teams, so I'd play them

thy_

n0n44m said:
I don't think there is much improvement to be had thy_ :p , 5 V Persie or 6 Ozil I'd might gamble, but I wouldn't touch a 7 personally

Honda & Villa have been important for their teams, so I'd play them

Yeah i'm gonna put in Villa for v.Persie and let the rest be.
Xavi just didn't rack up the points so far, despite not actually playing bad.
And Honda is only going to perform if I do not put in in my team.

To bad with that last second penalty kick for you and not having a goalkeeper left(who will play).

Tf53

Let's see... for next round, I have 4 USA, 2 KOR, 3 JPN players, plus a third keeper from SVK. IF I want to transfer all of them, I'm looking at a penalty of 18 points. I'm guessing I won't do that, but it's gonna be tough to field a competitive team. Oh well, if I manage to make the right transfers, I might be able to still make my way back into the top 10.

Edit:

After 8 transfers, here's what I'm looking at. Less than optimal, I'd say.

OkkX2.png

woodchuck

For your sake, I hope Germany beats Argentina...

I'm not sure what to do with Van Persie. Will the Dutch Coach sub in Huntelaar for him since he's acting like a child?

thy_

Round ended with 116 points. (go me!)
If I had perfectly handled my subs, it would have been 127:
Kawashime -> Neuer +3
Xavi -> Özil +1
Messi -> Vittek +1
Captain Maicon -> Captain Müller +6

Now I've got a "rather even" team for the quarterfinals:
Netherlands (2 Players) - Brazil (2)
Uruguay (2) - Ghana (3+1 Suspended)
Argentina (1) - Germany (4)
Paraguay (1) - Spain (2)

Best case scenario I've got 12 guys playing Semi-finals + Final/3rd Place, worst case is 6.
Having 4 free trades each round I could at least field 10 players in the semis and 11+3 for the final/3rd place.

Hoping to break this way into the Top 10
after having a abysmal second round (58 Points), where I wasn't able to sub in Xavi, Sneijder, van Persie and Villa (+26) by not having a functioning internet connection. End of round 2 for the booguys

*Looking for compassion here*

Tf53

woodchuck said:
For your sake, I hope Germany beats Argentina...

I'm not sure what to do with Van Persie. Will the Dutch Coach sub in Huntelaar for him since he's acting like a child?
I'm actually hoping for Argentina to advance, but I had to make a huge gamble, since I already had 4 Germans. I also sold Messi, so I think he'll score a hat trick. When that happens, I can finally be done with this bullshit and stop worrying about it. :lol

I also got rid of Van Persie, since it seems like he's not in the place he needs to be mentally. Unfortunately I think Brazil will beat Holland and advance, although I'm hoping it'll be the other way around.

skads_187

guys, just to confirm, when is the substitution window usually open in EST?

it starts at 6pm? and when does it close? cause im gonna be at a wedding party on Sat.
wanna make sure i can make some subs if needed.

thy_

skads_187 said:
guys, just to confirm, when is the substitution window usually open in EST?

it starts at 6pm? and when does it close? cause im gonna be at a wedding party on Sat.
wanna make sure i can make some subs if needed.

SAST is UTC +2
EST is UTC -5

The substituition-window opens at 0am SAST/5pm EST/6pm EDT.
It closes 15 min before the first match starts: SAST 3:45pm/8:45am EST/9:45am EDT

Juicy Bob

I can't decide whether it's worth taking the points penalty to give me some options on the bench or whether I should try and field the strongest 11 that I can and hope that they all perform for me, instead. I must have stopped myself from pressing the confirm button in the transfers page about 4/5 times now!

thy_

Juicy Bob said:
I can't decide whether it's worth taking the points penalty to give me some options on the bench or whether I should try and field the strongest 11 that I can and hope that they all perform for me, instead. I must have stopped myself from pressing the confirm button in the transfers page about 4/5 times now!

It all depends on which players you will be able to get.
If you got Rooney or Christiano Ronaldo sitting on the bench, I would say go for it.

Tf53

I'm glad I gambled and made Robinho my captain. Now if only Maicon and Julio Cesar can keep Brazil's goal clean...

Edit: HAHA, I guess that's that for me. :lol

woodchuck

Suarez saved my fantasy team with that hand ball. He may have lost points for me with the red card, but had that ball gone in, I'd be fucked for the next round. I had 5 Uruguay players on my team. That would have killed my next round.

Tf53

woodchuck said:
Suarez saved my fantasy team with that hand ball. He may have lost points for me with the red card, but had that ball gone in, I'd be fucked for the next round. I had 5 Uruguay players on my team. That would have killed my next round.
Yeah, I'm barely alive thanks to him as well. :D Didn't have him on my team, so I don't get punished for the red, though.

Tf53

PJKGt.jpg

Not a bad recovery, and I only missed Brazil winning. Got a decent line-up with my free transfers for next round, so I'm somewhat back in it!

woodchuck

Tf53 said:
Anybody else got all the scorers on their team? :D

Got all 5 on my team + RvP with the assist! 73 points for me today

now I have to figure out if I should play either Ramos or Lahm tomorrow

edit - i was at work so i wasnt able to watch the game. just saw the highlights. On what goal did RvP get an assist? Did the fantasy site mark it wrong?

n0n44m

woodchuck said:
Got all 5 on my team + RvP with the assist! 73 points for me today

now I have to figure out if I should play either Ramos or Lahm tomorrow

edit - i was at work so i wasnt able to watch the game. just saw the highlights. On what goal did RvP get an assist? Did the fantasy site mark it wrong?

the Sneijder one .. though Wesley walked around with it for some seconds before shooting and it was deflected as well :D

woodchuck

n0n44m said:
the Sneijder one .. though Wesley walked around with it for some seconds before shooting and it was deflected as well :D

yeah, just saw it. i was watching the highlights with terrible quality. It looked like the ball came from Kuyt on the wing to Sneijder:lol

Tf53

woodchuck said:
wow. great call on Casillas. I'm still barely holding on to top 10. and at least i'm still beating tf53
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! \o/

After my near-death experience in the round of 16, I'm soooo happy to make the number 5 spot. With a total of 47 transfers, I was only 21 points behind the winner.

I also made my mom's office pool predictions, and thanks to Spain's victory, we won 350 euros!

Tf53

woodchuck said:
booooooooooooo!

I still had Van Persie playing even till the end :lol. I didn't have the heart to transfer him.
I had him pegged for Golden Boot. :D I was so sad when the poor kid couldn't even put the ball into an empty net after a whistle in the final. :D

Slizz

Finished middle of the pack, which I'm glad I wasn't at the back of the pack. I finally totally grasped the fantasy aspect of the game in the later rounds. Would love to do something like this again. Whether 2 years in a Euro 2012 fantasy or do they do Premier League fantasy teams?

woodchuck

Slizz said:
Finished middle of the pack, which I'm glad I wasn't at the back of the pack. I finally totally grasped the fantasy aspect of the game in the later rounds. Would love to do something like this again. Whether 2 years in a Euro 2012 fantasy or do they do Premier League fantasy teams?

they have premier league fantasy

check your pm

Top Bottom