• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Open Beta... here we come :)

Dammit, I want WoW to be back up with the latest patch! As a level 60 paladin who finally gets to try out their talent trees, I for one cannot wait. Also, they said the first raid instance will be in and can't wait to try that either. Have to fight a dragon of some sort (cue EQ commercial: "Time to slay the dragaon!"). Why couldn't they let me download the stupid client + patch over the weekend? I got to work on the weekdays which kinda takes away from my playtime. Also, I hope they have a better way to distribute the client + patch other then their bittorrent program. My download speeds aren't that impressive using it.

firex

god, they'd better fucking fix the major bug they had last patch with bittorrent... it kept fucking calling to a non-existant IP over and over again and completely fucking up everyone's internet.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Edit: /\ D'oh, too slow!

Pretty sure it's going to be available tomorrow. :D

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
alright, i knew it would be different, but i figured maybe it would be a smaller download if i had the closed beta client

GashPrex said:
alright, i knew it would be different, but i figured maybe it would be a smaller download if i had the closed beta client

Nah, it's totally another full client. It isn't just a patch.

firex

yeah, you're looking at like a 2.5gb or 3gb dl for this new client most likely...

hmm, that makes me wonder... there's literally only maybe 3 zones in the game that aren't open (2 of them are outdoor raid zones and only one is supposed to open in beta) and some areas within already-open zones that are blocked off... i'll have to explore some to see if they've unlocked anything new after this client is up.

MrCheez

firex said:
yeah, you're looking at like a 2.5gb or 3gb dl for this new client most likely...

hmm, that makes me wonder... there's literally only maybe 3 zones in the game that aren't open (2 of them are outdoor raid zones and only one is supposed to open in beta) and some areas within already-open zones that are blocked off... i'll have to explore some to see if they've unlocked anything new after this client is up.

What I've been wondering is if Draenor is going to be in the game by launch. I am pretty sure fairly recently Blizzard stated that at release
high level warlock players will be able to open up the Dark Portal in a kind of epic-quest/world-changing event. If it CAN be opened at release... doesn't something have to be behind there?! O_O And if it is Draenor... it could be as much content as a whole continent or two. It's probably unlikely that THAT much content is being secretly "saved" for launch, but we'll have to wait and see! What a huge and pleasant suprise that would be. :)

MrparisSM

Banned
I REALLY hate the title of this thread. Everytime I see it, I think that Blizzard has started sign-ups for Open Beta and my heart skips a beat. :)

firex

MrCheez said:
What I've been wondering is if Draenor is going to be in the game by launch. I am pretty sure fairly recently Blizzard stated that at release
high level warlock players will be able to open up the Dark Portal in a kind of epic-quest/world-changing event. If it CAN be opened at release... doesn't something have to be behind there?! O_O And if it is Draenor... it could be as much content as a whole continent or two. It's probably unlikely that THAT much content is being secretly "saved" for launch, but we'll have to wait and see! What a huge and pleasant suprise that would be. :)
One of the lead designers said Illidan was the strongest NPC in the game currently, so I think Draenor is in there. But the opening of the dark portal is supposed to be a major world event started by players but also run with some GM support I believe... hence why I'm making a warlock as my first/main character.

MrCheez

MrparisSM said:
I REALLY hate the title of this thread. Everytime I see it, I think that Blizzard has started sign-ups for Open Beta and my heart skips a beat. :)

:lol sorry about that. But the wait is almost over! Any day now our hearts will have a real reason to skip a beat. ;)

firex said:
One of the lead designers said Illidan was the strongest NPC in the game currently, so I think Draenor is in there. But the opening of the dark portal is supposed to be a major world event started by players but also run with some GM support I believe... hence why I'm making a warlock as my first/main character.

Oh yeah, forgot about that! I knew there was some other clue about it being in the game. Exciting stuff!

firex

oh yeah, there's no way to get to the dark portal anymore... it used to be guarded by level 60 elite dreadlords and felguards, now it's not only guarded by those guys, it's blocked by a level 65 elite infernal standing right in front of the portal. I think he can even see ghosts so he kills anybody.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I was looking through trying to decide what classes/races looked interesting but the site only gives vague descriptions and listing of what I assume to be only a sample of abilities. Is there a page with a better and more definite explanation?

firex

slayn said:
I was looking through trying to decide what classes/races looked interesting but the site only gives vague descriptions and listing of what I assume to be only a sample of abilities. Is there a page with a better and more definite explanation?
www.thottbot.com/wow

it's overly technical but you can get a good listing of spells for each class. wowvault.ign.com also has a listing of each race/class stat combo.

there's no real "best race" for most classes... only for a couple is one race better than another.

Top Bottom