• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
water_wendi said:
Things really have to be crazy at Blizzard because they are finally doing things people have been asking for years now. Stuff like updating Darkmoon Faire was something that should have happened at least 3 times by this point.

They had to lose 900k(?) players in a few months to finally realize they need to do something.

Nugg

FLEABttn said:
The game has been in the works since 2006. Unless they made Titan, scrapped it, and remade it from scratch, I don't think it will have a 9 year dev cycle.
Wouldn't be the first time. They scrapped Diablo 3 a couple of time, and they often even cancel games if it doesn't work out like they hope it would (Warcraft Adventures, Starcraft Ghost)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Hurry! Hurry! Hurry! Step right up and prepare to be amazed!

It’s incredible! It’s unbelievable! You’ll be dazzled. You’ll be amazed! You aren’t prepared for the Darkmoon Faire, ‘cause it’s like nothing you’ve seen before! Don’t be shy now, don’t be bashful, step right up for a tantalizing glimpse of what we’ve got in store for you when patch 4.3 arrives!

That old thing?

No, no, no, Clem. The Darkmoon Faire ain’t what it used to be and it ain’t where it used to be. The management hasn’t changed but the Faire certainly has. It’s a whole new animal. Tickets? You don’t need those old tickets, just rip ‘em right up, ‘cause we’ve got new tickets! Out with the old, in with the new -- new quests, that is! Things have changed ‘round here: we’ve got an island all to ourselves now, and what an island it is. Mist-shrouded Darkmoon Island is a conundrum wrapped in an enigma. It’s a place of mystery and wonder, and you wouldn’t believe the deals we made to get it… or who we made ‘em with. But never mind that, just follow me right through here and I’ll show you what the Darkmoon Faire is all about.

All new! All spectacular!

Catch a show at the marvelous main stage or witness a dazzling fireworks display. But don’t stare too long or you might miss the stunning spectacles that surround you. Gaze in awe of our magical menagerie, get your fortune told by the amazing Sayge, go on a pony ride, experience the healthful effects of carnival food, and more!

Of course, there’s more to the Darkmoon Faire than just fantastic shows and culinary delights. You can still turn in your Darkmoon Cards, but you wouldn’t just come here for measly ol’ cards when there’s so much more to see, experience, and win. Yes, win! You like dancing bears, right? Everybody likes dancing bears. Even bears like dancing bears. How about a dancing bear… you can ride!

That’s not all! We have adorable companion pets includin’ a fez-wearing monkey, a plethora of profession recipes, toys, balloons, souvenirs, delectable carnival snacks and beverages, heirlooms for the little ones, and even replicas of long-lost suits of armor that we’re offering for your Transmogrification needs. You can also make your mark with new achievements and titles. All it takes to earn these fabulous rewards is a few Darkmoon Faire Prize Tickets and a good reputation with the carnies. How do ya get your grubby mitts on some tickets? I’m glad you asked!

Step right up! Try your luck! Everyone’s a winner!

Have we got games? You bet we’ve got games, and they’re so easy to play an orc could do it. Just head on over to the midway, buy some Darkmoon Game Tokens, and get ready to play. Easy to learn, difficult to master, anyone can play and everyone can win. Just lay your tokens down for a chance at winning Darkmoon Prize Tickets playing games like Whack-a-Gnoll, the Tonk Battle Royale, the Cannon, Ring Toss, the Shooting Gallery, and more! Five games are there to test your skills at any one time. The better you play, the easier it is to win a bucket of Darkmoon Faire Prize Tickets! Once a month, you’ve got a shot at tickets, and the fun never stops ‘cause you can play as many times as you like. But that’s not the only way to win big!

The Darkmoon Faire Field Guide

It’s your passport to riches, my friend. Y’see, we need a few things -- just some junk, nothing valuable to a big hero like you. We call ‘em Darkmoon Artifacts, and there’s all different kinds to be found all over Azeroth. The Darkmoon Field Guide helps you discover artifacts while you’re explorin’ dungeons, slayin’ monsters, and fightin’ in Battlegrounds. Without a guide, you’d never notice ‘em, and it’ll help keep you focused on the stuff we want. Whether you just reached level 10, or you’ve crushed the biggest baddies in the land, we need somethin’ from nearly everybody. You won’t have to go too far out of your way to get ‘em and each month you’ll get a new opportunity to seek out an Artifact for us. What do you get out of the deal? Don’t you worry, you’ll get your cut. When you bring a Darkmoon Artifact back to us, you’ll get valuable experience (it builds character, you know!), earn a better reputation, and possibly earn precious Darkmoon Faire Prize Tickets too!

Oh, did I mention that you can use the Field Guide to get to Darkmoon Island whenever the Darkmoon Faire’s monthly extravaganza is up and running?

So, you want to work in show business?

Maybe you’d like a little peek behind the scenes, eh? Want to see what it takes to run the greatest show on Azeroth? Well, it’s not all sunshine and cotton candy, my friend. There are beasts to heal, food to cook, and buildings to fix. If you’re willing to help keep the show going and put your skills to work, you’ll not only impress us, but you can get experience, Darkmoon Prize Tickets, and even polish up your skills -- up to five skill points per profession, per Faire week, if you’re good at what you do!

Darkmoon Deathmatch!

Like any good carnival, the Darkmoon Faire has a shady side. You can leave the skilled labor to the suckers and go for a faster score instead. If you’ve got the minerals, the Darkmoon Deathmatch offers an experience unparalleled since the Gurubashi Arena. Pitmaster Pei has a big old treasure chest just brimming with goodies and Darkmoon Faire Prize Tickets that he’ll drag out into the Darkmoon Deathmatch Pit every three hours or so. Everybody wants it, so if you want a piece of the action you’ll just have to jump in and prove that you’re the toughest one in the Pit.

Oh, the Faire is perfectly safe, Clem. Just don’t wander into the woods.

Now, now, don’t panic. Darkmoon Isle might be a bit spooky, but except for the Deathmatch Pit, the Faire itself is completely safe, I guarantee it. It’s a sanctuary even, and we won’t let anybody’s beef ruin the fun. The shadowy woods surroundin’ the fair are another thing entirely, though. I wouldn’t say that people have disappeared into those woods never to return, but, well… people disappear into those woods never to return. So watch your step, and your back, when you leave the Faire. Don’t say I didn’t warn ya!

Mark your calendar

Now that you know how amazing the new Darkmoon Faire is, you won’t want to miss it. Just take a look at your in-game calendar, and the Darkmoon Faire dates will show up there on the first week of every month. Darkmoon Faire barkers and displays will also pop up in every capital city to herald the arrival of the Faire. Silas Darkmoon himself has even started up a mailer to make sure that no one misses out!

Hitch a ride

During the first week of each month, convenient Darkmoon Faire outposts with Darkmoon Portals will appear in Elwynn Forest and Mulgore, offering free rides to Darkmoon Island and the Faire!

Darkmoon Mages in capital cities and on Darkmoon Island will also be around to help you get between the Faire and various capital cities. There’s no such thing as a free lunch, so naturally you’re obliged to compensate them for their services.

The all new Darkmoon Faire is coming to Darkmoon Island in patch 4.3. Don’t miss it!

Intresting.. I did think why hadnt they made some kind of "arena" that the people dueling outside the citys could go too easliy to meet/fight, kind of like dalran sewers.

Edit: the one in STV is not what i had in mind.

Einchy said:
Hurry! Hurry! Hurry! Step right up and prepare to be amazed!

It’s incredible! It’s unbelievable! You’ll be dazzled. You’ll be amazed! You aren’t prepared for the Darkmoon Faire, ‘cause it’s like nothing you’ve seen before! Don’t be shy now, don’t be bashful, step right up for a tantalizing glimpse of what we’ve got in store for you when patch 4.3 arrives!

That old thing?

No, no, no, Clem. The Darkmoon Faire ain’t what it used to be and it ain’t where it used to be. The management hasn’t changed but the Faire certainly has. It’s a whole new animal. Tickets? You don’t need those old tickets, just rip ‘em right up, ‘cause we’ve got new tickets! Out with the old, in with the new -- new quests, that is! Things have changed ‘round here: we’ve got an island all to ourselves now, and what an island it is. Mist-shrouded Darkmoon Island is a conundrum wrapped in an enigma. It’s a place of mystery and wonder, and you wouldn’t believe the deals we made to get it… or who we made ‘em with. But never mind that, just follow me right through here and I’ll show you what the Darkmoon Faire is all about.

All new! All spectacular!

Catch a show at the marvelous main stage or witness a dazzling fireworks display. But don’t stare too long or you might miss the stunning spectacles that surround you. Gaze in awe of our magical menagerie, get your fortune told by the amazing Sayge, go on a pony ride, experience the healthful effects of carnival food, and more!

Of course, there’s more to the Darkmoon Faire than just fantastic shows and culinary delights. You can still turn in your Darkmoon Cards, but you wouldn’t just come here for measly ol’ cards when there’s so much more to see, experience, and win. Yes, win! You like dancing bears, right? Everybody likes dancing bears. Even bears like dancing bears. How about a dancing bear… you can ride!

That’s not all! We have adorable companion pets includin’ a fez-wearing monkey, a plethora of profession recipes, toys, balloons, souvenirs, delectable carnival snacks and beverages, heirlooms for the little ones, and even replicas of long-lost suits of armor that we’re offering for your Transmogrification needs. You can also make your mark with new achievements and titles. All it takes to earn these fabulous rewards is a few Darkmoon Faire Prize Tickets and a good reputation with the carnies. How do ya get your grubby mitts on some tickets? I’m glad you asked!

Step right up! Try your luck! Everyone’s a winner!

Have we got games? You bet we’ve got games, and they’re so easy to play an orc could do it. Just head on over to the midway, buy some Darkmoon Game Tokens, and get ready to play. Easy to learn, difficult to master, anyone can play and everyone can win. Just lay your tokens down for a chance at winning Darkmoon Prize Tickets playing games like Whack-a-Gnoll, the Tonk Battle Royale, the Cannon, Ring Toss, the Shooting Gallery, and more! Five games are there to test your skills at any one time. The better you play, the easier it is to win a bucket of Darkmoon Faire Prize Tickets! Once a month, you’ve got a shot at tickets, and the fun never stops ‘cause you can play as many times as you like. But that’s not the only way to win big!

The Darkmoon Faire Field Guide

It’s your passport to riches, my friend. Y’see, we need a few things -- just some junk, nothing valuable to a big hero like you. We call ‘em Darkmoon Artifacts, and there’s all different kinds to be found all over Azeroth. The Darkmoon Field Guide helps you discover artifacts while you’re explorin’ dungeons, slayin’ monsters, and fightin’ in Battlegrounds. Without a guide, you’d never notice ‘em, and it’ll help keep you focused on the stuff we want. Whether you just reached level 10, or you’ve crushed the biggest baddies in the land, we need somethin’ from nearly everybody. You won’t have to go too far out of your way to get ‘em and each month you’ll get a new opportunity to seek out an Artifact for us. What do you get out of the deal? Don’t you worry, you’ll get your cut. When you bring a Darkmoon Artifact back to us, you’ll get valuable experience (it builds character, you know!), earn a better reputation, and possibly earn precious Darkmoon Faire Prize Tickets too!

Oh, did I mention that you can use the Field Guide to get to Darkmoon Island whenever the Darkmoon Faire’s monthly extravaganza is up and running?

So, you want to work in show business?

Maybe you’d like a little peek behind the scenes, eh? Want to see what it takes to run the greatest show on Azeroth? Well, it’s not all sunshine and cotton candy, my friend. There are beasts to heal, food to cook, and buildings to fix. If you’re willing to help keep the show going and put your skills to work, you’ll not only impress us, but you can get experience, Darkmoon Prize Tickets, and even polish up your skills -- up to five skill points per profession, per Faire week, if you’re good at what you do!

Darkmoon Deathmatch!

Like any good carnival, the Darkmoon Faire has a shady side. You can leave the skilled labor to the suckers and go for a faster score instead. If you’ve got the minerals, the Darkmoon Deathmatch offers an experience unparalleled since the Gurubashi Arena. Pitmaster Pei has a big old treasure chest just brimming with goodies and Darkmoon Faire Prize Tickets that he’ll drag out into the Darkmoon Deathmatch Pit every three hours or so. Everybody wants it, so if you want a piece of the action you’ll just have to jump in and prove that you’re the toughest one in the Pit.

Oh, the Faire is perfectly safe, Clem. Just don’t wander into the woods.

Now, now, don’t panic. Darkmoon Isle might be a bit spooky, but except for the Deathmatch Pit, the Faire itself is completely safe, I guarantee it. It’s a sanctuary even, and we won’t let anybody’s beef ruin the fun. The shadowy woods surroundin’ the fair are another thing entirely, though. I wouldn’t say that people have disappeared into those woods never to return, but, well… people disappear into those woods never to return. So watch your step, and your back, when you leave the Faire. Don’t say I didn’t warn ya!

Mark your calendar

Now that you know how amazing the new Darkmoon Faire is, you won’t want to miss it. Just take a look at your in-game calendar, and the Darkmoon Faire dates will show up there on the first week of every month. Darkmoon Faire barkers and displays will also pop up in every capital city to herald the arrival of the Faire. Silas Darkmoon himself has even started up a mailer to make sure that no one misses out!

Hitch a ride

During the first week of each month, convenient Darkmoon Faire outposts with Darkmoon Portals will appear in Elwynn Forest and Mulgore, offering free rides to Darkmoon Island and the Faire!

Darkmoon Mages in capital cities and on Darkmoon Island will also be around to help you get between the Faire and various capital cities. There’s no such thing as a free lunch, so naturally you’re obliged to compensate them for their services.

The all new Darkmoon Faire is coming to Darkmoon Island in patch 4.3. Don’t miss it!

not going to lie i thought you wrote that all out and i was going to make fun of you...then i checked mmo champ

ch0mp

Azwethinkweiz said:
We just started working on Rag last night. And yeah, the transition is the biggest pain in the ass.
p2 > p3 is probably the hardest part of the fight. Once you have that down he will fall over pretty quickly.

Alucrid

Banned
dave is ok said:
Phase 3 is so easy. You could probably manage it with half your raid dead

Transitions aren't even that bad, it's just the middle hammer that sucks balls. Anyone have any tips on how they do it?

Entropia

No One Remembers
Alucrid said:
Transitions aren't even that bad, it's just the middle hammer that sucks balls. Anyone have any tips on how they do it?

Are you 10 or 25?

In our 25 man, we have 2-3 people assigned to where each son will spawn. Melee on the left side and ranged on the right side (this is as you face him).

Also if you have any Boomkin or Ele Shaman have them stand close to the hammer ready to knockback in case of an emergency.

TheYanger

All sorts of ways you can do it. We prioritize grips/stuns etc in an order not left to right or anything, but closest to furthest from the hammer on each side. Keep in mind the dps output of each class/group too. Like a prot warrior can lock a mob down for ages, but it won't kill it super fast, while a rogue can do both solo easily, etc.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Starting a Warlock, what is the best talent tree for leveling? As a hunter I enjoyed having a pet, does the warlock always have a demon no matter what tree? Or do you have to do Demonology?

Edit: Also, what stats do I look for in items? (e.g. strength, agility, etc)?

Tamanon

Banned
You're going to want to look for Int/stam/crit/haste and the like in items.

Warlocks always have a demon, what demon they use depends more on the tree and what they're currently doing.

Alucrid

Banned
Entropia said:
Are you 10 or 25?

In our 25 man, we have 2-3 people assigned to where each son will spawn. Melee on the left side and ranged on the right side (this is as you face him).

Also if you have any Boomkin or Ele Shaman have them stand close to the hammer ready to knockback in case of an emergency.

10 man.

TheYanger said:
All sorts of ways you can do it. We prioritize grips/stuns etc in an order not left to right or anything, but closest to furthest from the hammer on each side. Keep in mind the dps output of each class/group too. Like a prot warrior can lock a mob down for ages, but it won't kill it super fast, while a rogue can do both solo easily, etc.

No rogues. no boomkins, no prot warriors. I'm assigned to get the second one that spawns on the left and then get the second one that spawns on the right. The right one is usually stunned, but I wonder if it's better for me to get the first to half health, kill second, finish first since it always seems like the second one is already half way there by the time i get to it. Focus can be a real bitch sometimes. I'm also not completely sure what our strat is for the adds since I'm a replacement and this was my first time doing Alys, Domo and Rags so I had the min explained to me.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Tamanon said:
You're going to want to look for Int/stam/crit/haste and the like in items.

Warlocks always have a demon, what demon they use depends more on the tree and what they're currently doing.

Cool. What tree is the best for leveling? I was told to go Affliction by a friend.

TheYanger

Alucrid said:
10 man.

No rogues. no boomkins, no prot warriors. I'm assigned to get the second one that spawns on the left and then get the second one that spawns on the right. The right one is usually stunned, but I wonder if it's better for me to get the first to half health, kill second, finish first since it always seems like the second one is already half way there by the time i get to it. Focus can be a real bitch sometimes. I'm also not completely sure what our strat is for the adds since I'm a replacement and this was my first time doing Alys, Domo and Rags so I had the min explained to me.

On 10 man virtually anyone can solo a son with ease, maybe not a healer. but even tanks can decimate them. people just really need to prioritize laying into them quickly, getting them to 50, and moving on to the next one. Don't kill them until after you've slowed them all down. death grips are great, paladin stuns are great, holy paladins can do that stuff too don't underestimate it. heck, even a druid healer can shift and bash afaik.

P2->3 transition is not much different than P1-2, it's just a bit of a pain if someone drags fire across the path of one of the adds.

We pretty much have a specific place everyone in the raid goes depending on where the hammer is. I POM AB one add and arcane blast a second, then start casting on whatever's got the highest health. A DK death grips if we get into trouble and everyone else does a job that I'm not aware of because I'm not them.

Bisnic said:
They had to lose 900k(?) players in a few months to finally realize they need to do something.

I'll admit I haven't looked into the refresh yet but the only update I've ever wanted to Darkmoone Faire is the ability to set At War so I could kill the barkers in Org. I seriously doubt this would have changed anyone's mind about unsubscribing.

Bisnic

Anyone have these small annoying bugs for a while? Like my tracked achievements that turn off everytime time i log off or sometimes the same achievements gets tracked on my alts instead.

Also the game keeps forgetting what were my previous roles for the dungeon finder everytime i log off too.

And the last one that has been going on for MONTHS... the stupid zoom of the minimap that keep resetting once in a while to the default zoom, instead of staying to maxed zoom out.

I never see anyone mention these and they really annoy me, i know... it takes a few secs to get them back to normal so its probably why Blizzard haven't bother fixing those yet, but still...

I don't really pay attention to my achievements at all so I can't say anything to that but the other two have been little flies in my ointment for the last couple months.

Rambaldi

Bisnic said:
Anyone have these small annoying bugs for a while? Like my tracked achievements that turn off everytime time i log off or sometimes the same achievements gets tracked on my alts instead.

Also the game keeps forgetting what were my previous roles for the dungeon finder everytime i log off too.

And the last one that has been going on for MONTHS... the stupid zoom of the minimap that keep resetting once in a while to the default zoom, instead of staying to maxed zoom out.

I never see anyone mention these and they really annoy me, i know... it takes a few secs to get them back to normal so its probably why Blizzard haven't bother fixing those yet, but still...

I have noticed ALL of these and they're driving me insane. Is that bug fix patch tomorrow supposed to fix them? :')

Dunlop

Bisnic said:

I've had the dungeon finder one for a while now

Bisnic said:

Except for the zoom thing, all of these bother the shit out of me. Especially the achievement one. I was tracking the Flamebreaker title and was annoyed every time I re-logged in after the 4.2A patch.

Bisnic

Another one that bother me and is much more game breaking is only there when i play on fullscreen mode. If I'm landing after a flight path, using a hearthstone/teleport or just afk flying around multiple zones while i'm currently tabbed out browsing the web or just anything outside the game, i get disconnected every single time. Nothing worst than getting disconnected after being 20 minutes in the troll heroic queue.

Now i'm only playing in windows mode, i get worse FPS than in fullscreen, but at least i dont get disconnected... sigh, that's another one that has been going on for way too fucking long.

There's been a bug on the Mac client since at least 4.0 (maybe even earlier, though I'm not sure if it's been fixed by now) where if you go to windowed mode (and back) after being in fullscreen your mouse buttons 3 and 4 become unresponsive. The only way to fix this is kind of an annoying work around where you toggle some video settings.

Quite frustrating though as I'd often toggle windowed mode to check something on wowhead or make a change to vent or the like and have to spend an extra minute fixing settings to not lose access to some important buttons.

Alucrid

Banned
Ugh. found a bot mining shit in the Twilight Highlands. so fucking annoying. luckily he had 150 speed while i have 280, so i just put him on follow and beat him to every mining point.

Pollux

Alucrid said:
Ugh. found a bot mining shit in the Twilight Highlands. so fucking annoying. luckily he had 150 speed while i have 280, so i just put him on follow and beat him to every mining point.
Wait...isn't shit like that against the rules? and if so how do people get away with it?

Einchy

zmoney said:
Wait...isn't shit like that against the rules? and if so how do people get away with it?

Blizzard doesn't look into it? I dunno. On my server there was an active bot that mined Twilight Highlands for months.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
blizzard looks into it, they just ban in sweeps because they figure out how the bots operate better with an amalgamation of information rather than banning individually.

they might ban individually depending on severity...

but really, they keep prices on servers down by flooding the market with items, so it sorta benefits some of us in the end whether blizzard likes to say it or not.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
davepoobond said:
blizzard looks into it, they just ban in sweeps because they figure out how the bots operate better with an amalgamation of information rather than banning individually.

they might ban individually depending on severity...

but really, they keep prices on servers down by flooding the market with items, so it sorta benefits some of us in the end whether blizzard likes to say it or not.
They may benefit you or whoever buys and resells. But, honestly, buying at a higher and reselling at higher is no damn difference for those people.

Now the people that want to mine for themselves? Fucked. Phased nodes on top of it.

Einchy

Yup, I barely found any nodes in Uldum the other day and it was all because I saw three bots flying around. Those are just the ones I found, who knows how many there really was.

I remember near the end of WotLK they banned tons and tons of bots. I was leveling engineering at the time and wanted to make myself an epic gyrocopter. It required a whole lot of Khorium and the price of that ore and bar went up 50 fold in a day. An item that should have cost somewhere in the 500g range to make would have ended up costing several thousand gold if I didn't make up my mind to mine the Khorium myself.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
keeblerdrow said:
I remember near the end of WotLK they banned tons and tons of bots. I was leveling engineering at the time and wanted to make myself an epic gyrocopter. It required a whole lot of Khorium and the price of that ore and bar went up 50 fold in a day. An item that should have cost somewhere in the 500g range to make would have ended up costing several thousand gold if I didn't make up my mind to mine the Khorium myself.
There's no should have. Bots drove the price down, banning drove the price up. Mining became more profitable, a good thing. Buying mats at a higher price, selling crafted items at a higher price, making essentially the same profit is no change or burden to auction house players.

The people that are effected are the ones that want to buy a few stacks here and there. Sorry.

Edit: Tho, I have sympathy for a sweep at the end of an expansion. Everyone got X for this price, the market is slow, and you have to put in a lot more effort/gold suddenly.

thatbox said:
Everyone I've enjoyed playing this game with over the past four years is quitting :(

Prepare for SWTOR?

I may dabble in that for a bit if there's a deal on it, but I don't think I could spend $60 + Subscription out of the gate on an untested MMO.

For all its flaws, WoW is still probably the best MMO currently on the market, even though there has been a noticeable decline in quality starting with Cataclysm. (Many other arguments aside, I think the revitalization of the old world was necessary to some extent, but I think Blizzard made a significant misstep in allocating too much manpower on content that wouldn't be used very long (if at all) by the existing base of subscribers with max level characters. There should have been more focus on pleasing the people who have been proven to pay month after month than attempting to attract new users who may or may not end up staying with the game [especially with the bump in leveling that is now Outland - better though it may have been over some of the older content that was replaced]).

Personally, I may be getting prepared to get back into WoW (if I can fit in time for it!) after being intrigued, though ultimately disappointed with EVE over the past ~3 months. Or I may spend time playing the some (many?) of the glut of other games releasing the rest of this year. With Diablo 3 around the corner, I may not even feel compelled to actually play WoW again anytime soon at all.

TheYanger

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Prepare for SWTOR?

I may dabble in that for a bit if there's a deal on it, but I don't think I could spend $60 + Subscription out of the gate on an untested MMO.

For all its flaws, WoW is still probably the best MMO currently on the market, even though there has been a noticeable decline in quality starting with Cataclysm. (Many other arguments aside, I think the revitalization of the old world was necessary to some extent, but I think Blizzard made a significant misstep in allocating too much manpower on content that wouldn't be used very long (if at all) by the existing base of subscribers with max level characters. There should have been more focus on pleasing the people who have been proven to pay month after month than attempting to attract new users who may or may not end up staying with the game [especially with the bump in leveling that is now Outland - better though it may have been over some of the older content that was replaced]).

Personally, I may be getting prepared to get back into WoW (if I can fit in time for it!) after being intrigued, though ultimately disappointed with EVE over the past ~3 months. Or I may spend time playing the some (many?) of the glut of other games releasing the rest of this year. With Diablo 3 around the corner, I may not even feel compelled to actually play WoW again anytime soon at all.

Basically how I feel as well, and I think a lot of others. Other games look fun, and I would LOVE something better than wow to come around, but for now despite all of its flaws WoW is still the best on the market. Rift was decent, and if I HAD to quit wow I could probably enjoy raiding in rift, but the fact is I don't have to, so I'm fine with WoW still.

GW2 looks the best of all upcoming games to me, but it's still a ways off.

Dunlop

thatbox said:
Everyone I've enjoyed playing this game with over the past four years is quitting :(

SWTOR effect, most will be back. Just cancelled my sub as well. Mostly because I find I am just bored to tears with this new content outside of raids and do not have the will to level a new alt.

I'll give SWTOR a whirl for a while but have no illusions that it will have anything close to the level of polish of WOW. I'm just happy to play a non medieval fantasy setting :p

Dunlop

letsbereasonable said:
Three core raiders (2 tanks, 1 heal) in our ten man all randomly server transferred last night, effectively killing our raid group. Great.

I don't think it was random. 2 tanks and a healer is a huge haul for a guild.

As a former officer recruiting is fucking insane in WOW, people get scooped up almost instantly within minutes of posting in recruiting forums.

Had I not burnt myself out with raiding I could get into almost any guild being a healer that at least did 6/7. I remember tanks/healers doing 1/7 in normal modes asking for guilds doing heroic content only...and getting in.

Totally blows for your guild though, sorry

TheYanger

Dunlop said:
I don't think it was random. 2 tanks and a healer is a huge haul for a guild.

As a former officer recruiting is fucking insane in WOW, people get scooped up almost instantly within minutes of posting in recruiting forums.

Had I not burnt myself out with raiding I could get into almost any guild being a healer that at least did 6/7. I remember tanks/healers doing 1/7 in normal modes asking for guilds doing heroic content only...and getting in.

Totally blows for your guild though, sorry

It's all a product of the cancellations and the 10/25 split. Recruitment has dried up more than ever. This was one of the major reasons juggernaut died, or app pool was depressing, if a gold with 6 years of us top 10 quality was being forced to take shit apps with little to no experience I can't even imagine what its like for the armies of 6/7h guilds right now, let alone worse ones.

Xtyle

For all of you that are "stuck" on playing WOW due to it being, in your view, the best mmo there is, do you or did you play other non MMO games? When I was playing WOW (about 8 months), I was playing my consoles and some PC games. I am playing WOW now, but only casually. And I don't think I will continue to sub next month and on. My point is, there are many other good games. Even multilayer games, outside of MMO's.

Alucrid

Banned
TheYanger said:
It's all a product of the cancellations and the 10/25 split. Recruitment has dried up more than ever. This was one of the major reasons juggernaut died, or app pool was depressing, if a gold with 6 years of us top 10 quality was being forced to take shit apps with little to no experience I can't even imagine what its like for the armies of 6/7h guilds right now, let alone worse ones.

Woo. I'm 6/7.

thatbox

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Prepare for SWTOR?

Nah, they're not leaving for anything else. They're just ... leaving. And it snowballs, because most of us still play only to play with each other.

TheYanger

Alucrid said:
Woo. I'm 6/7.

Yeah...there are 926 6/7H guilds in the world (228 in the US). How the fuck can anyone even attempt to stand out in that? This was an issue in ICC and last tier as well, when so much of the content is ass easy and then suddenly 1-2 bosses are ball-bustingly hard nobody has any fucking differentiation. Then you've got no spread otherwise since previous tiers are completely invalidated....I never understood what was so wrong with the BC model. Feeder guilds and all, it just worked much better and it made it easier to stand out and recruit players at your level.

Alucrid

Banned
TheYanger said:
Yeah...there are 926 6/7H guilds in the world (228 in the US). How the fuck can anyone even attempt to stand out in that? This was an issue in ICC and last tier as well, when so much of the content is ass easy and then suddenly 1-2 bosses are ball-bustingly hard nobody has any fucking differentiation. Then you've got no spread otherwise since previous tiers are completely invalidated....I never understood what was so wrong with the BC model. Feeder guilds and all, it just worked much better and it made it easier to stand out and recruit players at your level.

Yep. It was awesome being like one of four or five guilds on horde on our server that was able to do MC, then I think one of three for BWL. I miss those days.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
TheYanger said:
I just did BT for some old crap and wow and the architecture compared to a big floating island with trash.

I didn't really Burning Crusade raid after Vanilla and it hurts.

Alucrid said:
Yep. It was awesome being like one of four or five guilds on horde on our server that was able to do MC, then I think one of three for BWL. I miss those days.

It's interesting in the number there in that it seems low, but it really isn't since those were the days of 40 man raids, so with 3 guilds (per faction) progressing, that would be roughly 120-150 people making it. Which would be equivalent to 5-6 guilds (per faction) or so being competitive in the BC-era and beyonds with 25 people. And that actually is a reasonable number for a competitive guilds on a medium-small server. Especially looking at the stats of active max level characters and there being maybe a couple hundred to a few thousand (more on high-density/older realms), some being alts of course, per server. If say 300 people per server (both sides now) are on the cutting edge (not bleeding edge, mind you) of a server with 2000 active level 85s, that's still 15% of the population.

Some numbers are theoretical, but I am drawing a bit here from experience and a brief view at some WoW census pages. Now 15% doesn't seem like a lot, but not all people who have actively raided in the past do so all the time - the people in that percentage change when commitments change. Starting grad school? Maybe lay off raiding for a bit. Laid off from your job? Get back into the scene while job hunting or working from home/freelancing for a few months.

The people who have the time to dedicate to raiding a few hours a night for a few nights a week are definitely in the minority of the total population of WoW players (even if my 15% is off, I highly doubt people in competitive guilds would creep above 30% on an average server, and certainly not above 50%), however, as I stated before, they are the most important to please because they are what keeps the game alive in several respects.

P.S. I walked away for a minute after writing the above and I'll keep it unaltered as I still think it's a fairly decent read, but after reflecting a little further, even 2000 "active" max level players per side seems a little high - maybe it's just who plays at what time, or what sorts of groups you end up interacting with, but on the servers I've spent large amounts of time on (not nearly as large as Mal'Ganis or Illidan, or any other community "hub") I've probably only seen and interacted with maybe 200 or so max level players per side. But I simply might not be remembering correctly.

Top Bottom