• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Anyone have any idea why this is happening? I got the mace from garrosh and it's showing as ilvl 320.

Do I need an offhand to actually make it 556?

yGPVr6D.jpg

Peachpies

I dont get any stats from it though. My int doesn't increase or decrease with the unit equipped and removed.
it looks like you have some addon that is not showing some stuff correctly, in the screenshot you linked you can see the tooltip is correct but whatever shows the item level are the icon is messed up

StayDead

I went from 30-60 this week almost entirely through dungeons. I didn't notice people dying super quickly but with some of the lesser tanks it was at least moderately tasking, which I found to be a welcome change from the pre-squish stuff. I did RFD along the way, and if that's the one they reworked it was remarkably easy compared to every other dungeon.

I went 16-72 this week through dungeons.

Another year with no Horseman mount. Alas.

same ;_;

RPGCrazied

The loot for the horseman boss has to be bugged on my realm. I ran it 6 times a day since it started. The only thing I saw him drop ever was the rings. The only thing in my loot filled pumpkins was candy/masks. No sword, no helm, and I hear he drops a mount? I don't know anymore.

iirate

There's essentially a basic skill level in this game, sort of like hearthstone. Once you reach that level, there's really nothing in the game they can throw at you that's difficult. And it's usually gear that's really holding you back because you haven't squeezed every bit out yet. I haven't felt "challenged" by any of the pve content in this game in a looooong time. Unless they some how switched the mechanics drastically (which, the way they redid some of the classes, might be this expac actually), I don't really see how pve content will ever "challenge" me. The challenge was always the synchronization of your raid to execute, not the encounter itself. Knowing your rotation inside out doesn't take much effort.

There are other "challenges," though, like total mastery of your character. I remember when that warlock soloed heroic lich king. That was a great mastery of the game and mechanics.

Pvp for me is the only challenge in the game because another player is always dynamic and not scripted. The random situations that arise are very enjoyable, and it really takes thinking outside the box sometimes to overcome another player, not just knowing the basic branched paths for your rotation. When Laintime dropped his warrior pvp video we were all like omgggggg at how he played out situations we'd been in but never thought to play like that.

The bolded is a very important part of my point. You don't always have the gear, or maybe there's still people in the raid that aren't quite cut out for high-end progression, or whatever. Gear makes it easier, but most of the time, you're not stuck on a boss because you don't have the gear - there's something either you or someone else can do to clear that hurdle.

The dynamism in raids(as opposed to the dynamism in PvP) comes from the fact that there's 24 other people there, and things do go wrong. It's why I've always played a healer - tanking generally bores me, dps generally bores me, but with healing, there's always those moments of chaos where I could try and pull the party/raid back into the fray. I played shaman, so there was always somewhere I could put my abilities to keep things in control, so I was always on top of kiting duty, purges, interrupts, etc. It was also a time where mana management was a skill dynamically affected by the needs of a raid on any particular attempt.

I'm not saying that raiding is rocket science, but even when I felt like I was at the top of my game, I was continually finding things I could do to push a little further, especially in an age where people were just starting to find EJ and even those boards hadn't really math'd everything out like it is today.

Sure, there's a basic skill level that makes the game fairly easy, but that's not enough if you're truly interested in mastery.

Also, PvE raiding and PvP require completely different skill sets. I was a decent PvPer back then - ~2k rating during seaons 1 and 2 in both 2s and 3s with a spec that was generally considered poor for PvP, but I never really pushed it the way I did raiding because it wasn't really my thing. On the other side of the fence, I've known phenomenal PvPers that are absolutely lost even in very simple raids.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Without getting into writing out our resumes, I've been there, done all of that, at a very high level. I don't disagree with the overall point, I just think the "pushing yourself" applies way more in pvp than pve. There is a ceiling in pve that doesn't exist in pvp. Pve is fun, it's great, I enjoyed it and still enjoy it to an extent. But, in the end, you're fighting against a scripted robot. It's just not the same. There are plenty of hardcore raiders that have no idea what to do without mods helping them.. or clicking.. or keyboard turning.. that have the best gear in game but wouldn't even know what to push when a rogue kidney shots them. I'm not taking anything away from them, just flipping your last statement.

I always prided myself on essentially being the best of both worlds, but eventually age/time commitments catch up with one side. Pvp, luckily for me, doesn't require as much as investment as pve.

iirate

Without getting into writing out our resumes, I've been there, done all of that, at a very high level. I don't disagree with the overall point, I just think the "pushing yourself" applies way more in pvp than pve. There is a ceiling in pve that doesn't exist in pvp. Pve is fun, it's great, I enjoyed it and still enjoy it to an extent. But, in the end, you're fighting against a scripted robot. It's just not the same. There are plenty of hardcore raiders that have no idea what to do without mods helping them.. or clicking.. or keyboard turning.. that have the best gear in game but wouldn't even know what to push when a rogue kidney shots them. I'm not taking anything away from them, just flipping your last statement.

I always prided myself on essentially being the best of both worlds, but eventually age/time commitments catch up with one side. Pvp, luckily for me, doesn't require as much as investment as pve.

I agree completely.

iirate

That's not how this works. We're supposed to argue.

=)

The only things I really took issue with was the idea that someone can be PvE focused and not "in it" for the gear, and that I believe the level of skill you were talking about(where content is trivialized) is not something the vast majority of raiders would reach, and is dangerous to bring up because of the number of people that may believe they are there and thus should blame gear rather than try harder.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I didn't say pve focused people weren't in it for the gear.. this whole convo stemmed from me saying I think heirlooms defeated the purpose of the game. The evolution of your character through gear is stifled by keeping the same shit in the slot. I know, I know, no one gives a shit about leveling and the gear until max level, but the only reason I can even stomach leveling (in whatever form someone chooses to do it) is the small reward of an upgrade. That small joy has always been worth it for me to say fuck heirlooms.

iirate

I didn't say pve focused people weren't in it for the gear.. this whole convo stemmed from me saying I think heirlooms defeated the purpose of the game. The evolution of your character through gear is stifled by keeping the same shit in the slot. I know, I know, no one gives a shit about leveling and the gear until max level, but the only reason I can even stomach leveling (in whatever form someone chooses to do it) is the small reward of an upgrade. That small joy has always been worth it for me to say fuck heirlooms.

I see gear from questing and groan. I generally quest as a mindless and relaxing excercise, and I appreciate it as such. I would rather be able to not upgrade gear and keep whatever transmog I have intact than have to upgrade. What you're saying has obvious merit, and is from my experience the more popular viewpoint, but you can't say that they defeat the purpose of the game when there are other purposes within the game they don't defeat, or from my perspective, even enhance.

mclem

Struggling to fill a 20-man is concerning, since it would indicate a 10-man that has tried to grow rather than a 20-man that has cut down. No hard evidence for this, but I think most of those will fail or generally be less stable.

Yeah, I thought that'd be a problem for a while so I've been working since 6.0.2 with forming bonds and 'friendly raids' with people from out-of-guild, and on every expansion I do try to emphasise that guildies should strive to meet other people while levelling and gently tilt them our way. We're currently just about putting together Mythic groups with a few people from outside, so I'm hoping that apparent stability will draw people towards us over time if their own guilds are rocky.

As a danger, though, there's another - more successful - 10 on our server which, while we're friendly with them, I think it has a lot of potential to siphon players away from us, and I'm worried about that.

Trickster

Goddamn it all. Haven't played for well over a year, but I've relapsed so hard for the last 2 weeks. Totally fell to the pre expansion excitement, wasn't even that excited for the expansion, and then *bam* the itch returned out of nowhere and I resubbed. Then the itch got much much worse when I began actually reading about WoD, so much of what they're doing in the expansion sounds fucking excellent

I'm an expert

Goddamn it all. Haven't played for well over a year, but I've relapsed so hard for the last 2 weeks. Totally fell to the pre expansion excitement, wasn't even that excited for the expansion, and then *bam* the itch returned out of nowhere

Expansion launches are really the best time to play the game - period. Totally normal.

Wunder

Goddamn it all. Haven't played for well over a year, but I've relapsed so hard for the last 2 weeks. Totally fell to the pre expansion excitement, wasn't even that excited for the expansion, and then *bam* the itch returned out of nowhere and I resubbed. Then the itch got much much worse when I began actually reading about WoD, so much of what they're doing in the expansion sounds fucking excellent

welcome back, commander

LiveWire

So we should have 3 lockouts before WoD launches right? Since the expansion unlocks on a Thursday, you could theoretically raid this week, next week, and the Tuesday/Wednesday before the launch right?

Asking specifically with regards to finishing the legendary cloak.

Do you need to raid LFR, normal, heroic and mythic for each raid lockout to do this, or is raiding LFR enough for each of the remaining 3 lockouts to get sufficient drops?

I've killed about 9 LFR raid bosses that have a chance of dropping secrets of the empire and got 5.

mclem

So we should have 3 lockouts before WoD launches right? Since the expansion unlocks on a Thursday, you could theoretically raid this week, next week, and the Tuesday/Wednesday before the launch right?

Tougher in Europe, since we reset on Tuesday evenings so only have a Wednesday, but still feasible.

It's crossed my mind not for the cloak, but for whether to extend the raid and have a final push to get another few Mythic bosses down on that Wednesday.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm not going to post screens or anything because I want non-beta players to experience it... But the shot of Blackrock Foundry when you're coming over the hill might be one of the most amazing shots I've ever seen in WoW. That thing is intimidating.

strafer

Rösti;136879705 said:
Or that smaller title they are working on. Though as this includes the name of a very well known villain, I'd say expansion is more likely. We'll see what MMO-Champion says.

Azhara is about time tbh

I want some naga stuff

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Eye of Azshara definitely sounds like a smaller game. Azshara really shouldn't warrant her own expansion. And nobody wants to have several underwater zones.

Oculus, maybe?

mileS

We do this every year/expansion. Even if its a new expansion there's no way they announce it within the next 5 months. We will hear about future content patches yes, but we all know even if they somehow manage to pull off an expansion a year (which they won't) we wouldn't hear about it this early. The only way Blizzard can do an expansion a year is if they narrow their focus and content for what's included. I think anyone who's followed them for over 10 years would somewhat agree.

Anyways. My hype for WoD has been all over the place. I'm extremely excited for the content but i'm still a bit bummed with how boring and simple the hunter class has become. I'm aware most classes are this way now (arms warrior says hi) but there's some major issues with the way Hunter plays. Blizzard has said they aren't happy with it either so I have my fingers crossed.

Azshara/South Seas expansion is what I was hyped for before Cata was announced. The disappointment was immense =P

Put something about 2024 in the tagline. Or that Warcraft 4 is never happening. Though that one would be more appropriate for a main forum thread where people constantly ask for it @_@

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom