• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaptruder

Banned
Cimarron said:
Is there anyway to get this game to support a control pad for movement? I liked the fact in FFXI I could use a control for long sessions.

Umm... I don't know how you can bind camera movement to anything other than the mouse, but if you can figure it out, you can use joy 2 key to map essential functions...

But unless someone comes up with a UI like FFXI, it'll be difficult at best to do any sort of control pad play for this game.

SaitoH

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Regrowth is great but i think you are misunderstanding my point.

The reason I brought up flash heals (knowing druids have regrowth cause My main is a druid) is cause regrowth costs over 740 mana while Flash heal costs 380 mana.

So...Flash heal ftw.

Priests imo are better healers than us. No problem with that. They are suppossed to be imo.

True, but don't forget about innervate, and flash only heals for half the amount of regrowth.

=P

SaitoH said:
True, but don't forget about innervate, and flash only heals for half the amount of regrowth.

=P

erm innervate usually is casted on the priests or at least thats what groups usually want. why would i forget about that?

and flash heal + renew + normal heal > regrowth + rejuv + healing touch.

when it comes to mana consumption thats just plain facts.

SaitoH

Or cast on yourself when doing a 5-man.

>_>

Just saying because good friend of mine is a druid and we've done all the 5-man stuff with druid as only healer. Restoration druids rock.

^_~

SaitoH said:
Or cast on yourself when doing a 5-man.

>_>

Just saying because good friend of mine is a druid and we've done all the 5-man stuff with druid as only healer. Restoration druids rock.

^_~

im referring to MC, 10 man, 15 man, ZG stuff sir.

a druid can handle 5 man by himself.

SaitoH

Hmm ... 10 and 15 man content is stupidly easy. 5-man is much more of a test of a characters ability. Can't comment on MC and BWL, because I haven't been there. Zul'gurub is definitely tough though. Not quite sure what you're getting at ...

Druids as main healer are like Warlocks as a groups "mage", that is too say, perfectly capable of fulfilling their role in a group. Yet for some reason there is a common misconception about this.

SaitoH said:
Hmm ... 10 and 15 man content is stupidly easy. 5-man is much more of a test of a characters ability. Can't comment on MC and BWL, because I haven't been there. Zul'gurub is definitely tough though. Not quite sure what you're getting at ...

i dont know what you are getting at either. your friend might be a druid, but I AM a druid. Resto spec. (what druid isnt?)

SaitoH said:
Druids as main healer are like Warlocks as a groups "mage", that is too say, perfectly capable of fulfilling their role in a group. Yet for some reason there is a common misconception about this.

I understand this, I think i know my class ;)

I was just pointing out why many people prefer priests as a healer to the other poster and why I think at the end of the day, priests are better healers than druids.

that is all sir.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Priests are definitely the superior healer of the two, but it doesnt really matter most of the time. Try keeping a tank up against a mob that has mortal cleave though, that's where a priest shield really comes in handy.

Dammit all! I have two hours Tuesday mornings before I have to go to class and every morning I wake up and say "I can fit some WoW in." Then I go log in, and remember that there is maintenance. Damn the timing!

SaitoH said:
Fixed2BeBroken: Gotcha ^_~

Ps. Saw a druid wearing Devilsaur and Shadowcraft the other day. Wonder if that works? o_O;;

:lol

it works in feral with the new changes.

but im not sure if it is successful in PvP. but in PvE that kinda gear helps to kill farm/grind faster.

for pvp, i mostly go stamina/strength high armor gear.

almost pushing 10k armor now in bear.

Baby murloc pet sighting....

p02.gif

Cimarron

WOW! WOW is really fun! I haven't had this much fun in a mmorpg since DAOC. :D Who would have thunk that soloing as a gnome mage would be so fun! Even now that I am lvl 10 i find that the quests are getting a bit more difficult to do solo. I need to find a clan pronto. Does anyone know of any good guilds on Eldrethalas? Also do you guys have any suggestions on how I should use my talents? I basically want to be a Battle Magi. Nukes away! Thanks in advance! Why on earth did I wait so long to jump on board. Damn PSO.... :p

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Cimarron said:
WOW! WOW is really fun! I haven't had this much fun in a mmorpg since DAOC. :D Who would have thunk that soloing as a gnome mage would be so fun! Even now that I am lvl 10 i find that the quests are getting a bit more difficult to do solo. I need to find a clan pronto. Does anyone know of any good guilds on Eldrethalas? Also do you guys have any suggestions on how I should use my talents? I basically want to be a Battle Magi. Nukes away! Thanks in advance! Why on earth did I wait so long to jump on board. Damn PSO.... :p
A couple of my friends are in <Skull>, they're just starting MC now, so by the time you hit 60 they should have made some good progress into it.

Scoot said:
After Bloodlord the boss order is:

The Tiger Aspect

The Panther Aspect

Jin'Do the Hexxer*

Gahz'Ranka (sp)*

Hakkar

The asterisked bosses are extra and not required to weaken Hakkar into a killable state.
I don't want to ruin the tricks for each boss. Let alone the tons of gold in repairs we've spent this week.

I've always thought this a dumb thing to say. Especially when he flat out asks for spoilers.

Spider Boss: Seperate into ranged and melee groups, keep an extra tank in the range group. Kill add, burn her mana, interrupt her life drain. The poison volley is cone aoe, so you can tank away and have melee backstab. When she changes forms and webs, chances are she'll go straight for ranged group. Have tank drag back.

Raptor Boss: There doesn't really need to be any strategy for this. Just have the dps to off the fucker. Basically if you can get past the blooddrinker pulls you should be able to kill this dude. Oh and murder the raptor fast. The buff he gets fades after 45 seconds, and this fight is much longer.

Anyways, went into the edge of madness first time last night. The imp packs are fun as hell, like miniature lava packs.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Son of Godzilla said:
Anyways, went into the edge of madness first time last night. The imp packs are fun as hell, like miniature lava packs.
Fun as hell?!

I thought they were the most annoying trash mob since the ghost fishies in Ninja Gaiden.

Is there any possible way to transfer your character to another Realm? One of my classmates is on another server and wants me to play with him, but I don't wanna start a whole new character before I'm done with the one I'm using.

Help would be appreciated :)

ToyMachine228 said:
Is there any possible way to transfer your character to another Realm? One of my classmates is on another server and wants me to play with him, but I don't wanna start a whole new character before I'm done with the one I'm using.

Help would be appreciated :)
No. Wait a year.

Ferrio

Banned
Big change to rogues/warriors coming.

The mechanics of most instant melee attacks will be modified to improve item balance upon the release of patch version 1.8. Currently, instant melee attacks do damage based on the damage range of the weapon, plus a bonus for the player’s attack power. This bonus is then multiplied by the speed of the weapon. As a result, slow weapons do more damage than is intended, and fast weapons are considered inferior by most players. We are changing the way the attack power bonus is calculated for instant attacks. This change will NOT affect attack power calculations for normal melee attacks. Instead of multiplying by the speed of the weapon, the attack power bonus will be multiplied by a fixed number pulled from the following table:

Two-handed weapons: 3.3
Daggers: 1.7
All other one-handed weapons: 2.4

As a direct result of this, many weapons will shift position in their relative power. In particular, many epic (purple) quality items will now be more powerful than slower superior (blue) weapons. For the purpose of instant attacks, the Arcanite Reaper and the Barman Shanker will drop slightly in relative power, while Typhoon and Alcor’s Sunrazor will increase in power.

We expect to see the total damage output of a Mortal Strike warrior go down about 4% with the Arcanite Reaper, and up about 4% with Typhoon. We expect the total damage output of a Backstab rogue to go down about 2% with the Barman Shanker and up about 2% with Alcor’s Sunrazor.

This change was not made to reduce the power of instant attacks, but to correct the relative imbalance of weapon itemization. At a given level requirement, epic quality weapons should always be more powerful than superior quality weapons.

Please also note that all normal weapon swings will be completely unaffected by this change. The following abilities are affected by the design change: Sinister Strike, Ambush, Backstab, Whirlwind, Mortal Strike, and Overpower.

So pretty much for rogues:

Brutality Blade > Dal rends
Dal Rends > Krol

Perdition blade == Marshall > Gutgore == Fang of the faceless >>>>>> Barman shanker

So any daggers over 1.7 speed are effectively nerfed, all under are buffed.
Any swords over 2.5 speed are effectively nefed, all under are buffed.

Again only applies to instant strikes

In unrelated news my guild killed golomagg and sulfurous on the first try (both were pushovers, especially sulfur)

Zaptruder

Banned
For a hunter, big hit weapons are still the ticket (in PVP).

Aimed shot + weapon damage, multishot + weapon damage, raptor strike + weapon damage (+20% crit)

and they all behave similar to instants, with aimed shot been more of a 'channeled' instant.

LukeSmith

Son of Godzilla said:
I've always thought this a dumb thing to say. Especially when he flat out asks for spoilers.

Spider Boss: Seperate into ranged and melee groups, keep an extra tank in the range group. Kill add, burn her mana, interrupt her life drain. The poison volley is cone aoe, so you can tank away and have melee backstab. When she changes forms and webs, chances are she'll go straight for ranged group. Have tank drag back.

Raptor Boss: There doesn't really need to be any strategy for this. Just have the dps to off the fucker. Basically if you can get past the blooddrinker pulls you should be able to kill this dude. Oh and murder the raptor fast. The buff he gets fades after 45 seconds, and this fight is much longer.

You can think it's a dumb thing to say, but the fun of the game is learning the encounters for yourself not Conquest-forum-ing your MC strats.

explodet

As a mage, I gotta say warlocks already eat me alive in PVP, especially if they've got the doggie out. I'm a little concerned about a non-diminishing fear on death coil, but it's got a cooldown so it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Ramirez said:
Buffing warlocks more?WTF.As explodet already said,they own mages as is -_-
Yeah, but warlocks also get destroyed by just about any other class with ease, and mages can own anything else if the mage has skill. It's a fair balance to me.

explodet

Shamans can give mages a hard time as well - earth shocks, grounding totems, healing.
Fortunately I'm a Hordie so that doesn't come up too often for me.

SaitoH

Fun with math
(Assuming my math is correct =P )

Damage formula:

min. = minimum damage + [(base AP + weapon AP) / 14 * weapon speed]
max. = maximum damage + [(base AP + weapon AP) / 14 * weapon speed]

+ weapon attack (Mortal strike = +160 damage)

Arcanite Reaper MS and 700AP:

min. = 153 + [(700 + 62) / 14 * 3.8] + 160 = 519
max. = 256 + [(700 + 62) / 14 * 3.8] + 160 = 622
avg damage = [519+622]/2 = 570.5

New MS with Arcanite Reaper and 700AP:

min. = 153 + [(700 + 62) / 14 * 3.3] + 160 = 492.61
max. = 256 + [(700 + 62) / 14 * 3.3] + 160 = 595.61
avg damage = [595.61 + 492.61 ]/2 = 544.11

So with the new 3.3 speed cap on two handers Arcanite reaper loses 4.6% of its Mortal strike damage.

Next up: Barman Shanker and ambush

Ambush = 2.5 times damage + 290

Old

min. = 51 + [((700 / 14) * 2.0) * 2.5] + 290 = 667.5
max. = 95 + [((700 / 14) * 2.0) * 2.5] + 290 = 777.5

Average = 722.5

New

min. = 51 + [((700 / 14) * 1.7) * 2.5] + 290 = 610
max. = 95 + [((700 / 14) * 1.7) * 2.5] + 290 = 740

Average = 675

So with the new 1.7 speed cap on daggers, Barman Shanker will lose 6.5% damage on an ambush.

explodet said:
Shamans can give mages a hard time as well - earth shocks, grounding totems, healing.
Fortunately I'm a Hordie so that doesn't come up too often for me.
Shaman can give any five man party of any classes a hard time. This is no surprise.

Ramirez

Yea,thank God I'm horde,every shaman I've ever dueled usually kills me in about 5 seconds with just shocks,fuckin ridiculous.

Ramirez said:
Yea,thank God I'm horde,every shaman I've ever dueled usually kills me in about 5 seconds with just shocks,fuckin ridiculous.

i love shock spamming shamans, cause those are the ones I beat.

The ones I have trouble with are the shamans with epics that do nothing but heal, Purge, and attack/windfury.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Shaman can give any five man party of any classes a hard time. This is no surprise.

actually thats one of shaman's vulnerability, when they are up against multiple people. Which is one of thier defensive arguments when one says "nerf shaman".

Scoot said:
You can think it's a dumb thing to say, but the fun of the game is learning the encounters for yourself not Conquest-forum-ing your MC strats.

Ok, let's review.

Dude said:
Hey, what are strats for ZG? Stuck on #3-4, here's what I know

Then:

After Bloodlord the boss order is:

The Tiger Aspect

The Panther Aspect

Jin'Do the Hexxer*

Gahz'Ranka (sp)*

Hakkar

The asterisked bosses are extra and not required to weaken Hakkar into a killable state.

Fair enough, correcting his mistake. Although he would of realized it soon as he'd been able to kill Blood and Spidie.

I don't want to ruin the tricks for each boss. Let alone the tons of gold in repairs we've spent this week.

Awfully long way to say "No".

It's a stupid response, regardless of whether or not it's more fun to figure out encounters on your own.

Oh and there's a much easier way to do all those math calcs. Just do (WeaponDPS+AP/14)*WeaponSpeed = Dmg on Hit +160 = MS

Actually I'm getting 517 for the 3.3 speed doing it that way...

LukeSmith

Fixed2BeBroken said:
i love shock spamming shamans, cause those are the ones I beat.

The ones I have trouble with are the shamans with epics that do nothing but heal, Purge, and attack/windfury.

Enhancement/Restoration Shaman are the second hardest class in the game for most classes to kill. A well geared Mortal Strike warrior should ruin them. Ramirez, are you PvE carebear specc'd on your mage?

Mage duels suck against Shaman, because literally everything has to go right for the mages to win.

LukeSmith

Son of Godzilla said:
Awfully long way to say "No".

It's a stupid response, regardless of whether or not it's more fun to figure out encounters on your own.

I can't wait till Brady Games puts out their Zul'Gurub guide.

Scoot said:
Enhancement/Restoration Shaman are the second hardest class in the game for most classes to kill. A well geared Mortal Strike warrior should ruin them. Ramirez, are you PvE carebear specc'd on your mage?

actually i think a very good enchancement/elemental TROLL shaman is better. Those shamans beat shamans.

but yea, for a druid such as myself. Holy/disc priest is hardest, second hardest is Enhancement/Restoration shaman.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Scoot said:
I can't wait till Brady Games puts out their Zul'Gurub guide.
www.whataboutpp.com/zgs

^ has some good strats for ZG if you're stuck.
Scoot said:
Shamans can pretty much own warlocks no matter how they're specced. The purge our shields and armor buffs, earth shock if we try getting off a shadow bolt, and drop tremor totems to eat our fears.

The only shaman's I can ever beat are the ones that let me kite them with Curse of Exhaustion while my DOT's eat they're soul. They I get a instant voidwalker out to counterspell their heal/eat their natures swiftness.

Cimarron

oh come on! No one has any useful advice for a noob gnome mage on how to wisely use his talent points? :( I don't want to end up nerfing my character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom