• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

firex

in TBC beta I leveled a paladin up to level 22 or so, just doing the level 20 paladin quest + the blood elf starting zones. in WotLK I leveled a DK through their starting zone and up to 60 to try the different 51 point talents, and otherwise all I did was level up to 71 and test out talents.

luckily cataclysm beta lets you do premades for 80s.

traveler

Not Wario
So is there any truth to the lore spoilers regarding Andorhal in the expansion? If so, wow. I can't believe they managed to make a Horde leader worse in my eyes than Garrosh.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
traveler said:
So is there any truth to the lore spoilers regarding Andorhal in the expansion? If so, wow. I can't believe they managed to make a Horde leader worse in my eyes than Garrosh.

What spoilers about Andorhal? I assume it has something to do with Sylvanas and her own plague, but i haven't heard anything about that except both factions are fighting to take control of the town or something like that.

traveler

Not Wario
Bisnic said:
What spoilers about Andorhal? I assume it has something to do with Sylvanas and her own plague, but i haven't heard anything about that except both factions are fighting to take control of the town or something like that.

To my knowledge, Sylvanas basically starts assassinating civilians so that she can raise them from the dead as Valkyr. She also takes Koltira in for what sounds like brainwash and/or torture, demonstrating a willingness to attack neutral factions as well as the innocent of opposing factions. She has completely crossed the line. I'd love to see Garrosh destroy her at this point and I hate Garrosh.

I dunno why the knowledge that she wanted to raise more Forsaken didn't bother me that much but this does. I guess it's that she's crossing the line from simply raising the dead to join her to "actively recruiting." I mean, at this point, is there anything really differentiating her from Arthas? Undead players might as well be serving a Big Bad.

Xabora

Entropia said:
Xab, what server are you on? Add Entropia if you're on Lost Isles (PvE)
I'm on lost isles! :D

Tacitus_ said:
Awesome pics Xabora! Mind finding out what's happening in Hillsbrad Foothills (pref horde side) since Sylvanas is up to something nasty with the
valkyries she recruited from Arthas
:3
I'll look into it, but the NPCs there seem to be the normal ones from the Live Server.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
notworksafe said:
This exact point is brought up in the mini cutscene there.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=25626349372&sid=1
^Link to the transcribed text, spoilers obviously.
You know what the scary thing is? I know that guild and their guild leader, and the fact that he petitioned a GM to change their guild name to include the ' in Ana'duna because prior it was "Ana duna Thera" :lol

Also one of their officers who was booted out used to be in our guild, and she was a furry.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I remember one time she came up to my character once whilst I was chatting away in guild, and she started some ludicrous /e moments and I was pleading for help with some of the members to come and scuttle me away.

Needless to say the jokes of her wanting me to straddle her in Bear form have never ceased to this day. RP realms are fucked up.

I like the forskaken news(spoilers). I'm kind of forsaken patriot and I loved the moment when they bombed people at wrathgate.
And now them still using plague and raising more undead makes me tingle inside.

I really hope they don't just put an end to it, rather make it more interesting.

P.S. Give us our own faction! :lol

CassSept

Seems like the Taurens are the only truly sane people in the Horde
Taurens just eat grass in Mulgore and don't care what happens to the world :p

Nolimit_SS said:
Forsaken one day, believe!
This would be fun if they split the races to introduce third faction. I.e., forsaken under Sylvanas' command (lorelol - some stayed due to loyalty towards Horde), same with Belves (they are tied to the Horde only through Forsaken). Maybe reintroduce Eredars into the lore and to balance it out, nelves or Worgen (though Worgen would work better probably). Introduce two new races and voila!

Who cares though, we know it's not going to happen :(

Alcoori

I kinda like it that the Horde is some sort of precarious alliance that seemed to be almost on the verge of collapsing. Nothing is as simple as it seems and it's kinda interesting to see the politics behind it.
Some races stick together because they share the same values, or because they've always been tied together, others because it's a way to get ahead. I like it :D

Orcs and Trolls are crazy, but in the end they do have noble motives. Forsakens seem on the brink of madness and fanatism and BE, well, addicts will be addicts :D

markot

Banned
Dont try to beta test on the pvp server >.<

I havent been ganked this much since Nesingwarys camp in stv back in vanilla, and at least then I could fight back >.> seems like its 10-1 horde favoured....

Retro

I guess the Developer Chat is today, supposed to happen around 8PM Eastern / 5 Pacific, and focus on the new talents and skills since everyone involved is on the class development team.

Since people on the west coast will likely be at work, I'll probably C&P everything here. Hopefully we get some news on the less developed classes (death knight, druid, paladin, warlock, Arcane mage, and Assassination rogue), probably not anything concrete but maybe some info on what direction they're taking them.

Lack of Paladin news is, as was the case with TBC and WotLK, not surprising. I expect 4.0 to go live and major Paladin skills and talents changed a week later. You think they'd start off with pallies for once since they clearly seem to take so much time. :lol

Bisnic

I never understand why paladins are so hard to balance. Is it really all because of the plate + heals + bubble?

ampere

Bisnic said:
I never understand why paladins are so hard to balance. Is it really all because of the plate + heals + bubble?
I would assume so, the 12 second immunity is tricky to handle. They basically have 2 lives every five minutes (unless a Warrior is nearby :p). From what I understand plate will be less significant of a jump from mail than it was previously. They want to reduce the gap between different armor types, but the issue with the bubble is still there. Rogues are having their stun durations reduced, so I wouldn't be surprised if Paladins had their bubble duration reduced.

Don't you dare touch my bubble >:[
If they shorten it, bubble+hs will not be possible and that's a game breaker!
Calantus said:
i honestly don't want to be in the beta, after being in WOTLK beta, it took the shock out of the new experience for me.
Same, don't really wanna play it for nothing, if I want to learn something new it will probably be online. I'd rather experience it myself nicely when its out.

Retro

Bisnic said:

Pretty much, which is why a lot of Paladins have been begging for Bubble to be removed, made spec-specific or nerfed into the ground. While this seems contradictory, the general consensus is that having that 12 seconds of complete immunity means Blizzard balances everything around it, gimping the class to make up for that one singular strength.

It's also worth pointing out that Bubble is useless in PVE and doesn't offer nearly as much benefit as it used to in PVP. In theory, you can bubble and heal to full, getting a 'second life'... but you also blow a lot of your mana and most Paladins don't gear to get the kind of heals that allow for a full top off (except holy, of course).

There's also a lot of problems with the way Blizzard handled paladins early that just haven't been changed. Vanilla paladins were basically cleanse and buff bots, and they really didn't get reliable tanking until TBC, decent heals until mid TBC, and Ret didn't really come into its own until WotLK.

There's also this huge conspiracy theory that Jeff Kaplan (Lead designer, AKA Tigole) hates paladins because they were better than warriors in Everquest. Just google "Does Blizzard Hate Paladins", it's like this epic 15-part Youtube series that talks about the class' history. If you play a paladin, it's basically a History Lesson on the places your class has been (most of them unpleasant).

ciaossu said:
Rogues are having their stun durations reduced, so I wouldn't be surprised if Paladins had their bubble duration reduced.

According to Nihilium, the duration of Divine Protection (The pally version of Shield Wall) is coming down to 8 seconds instead of 12, and also won't be earned until level 30, rather than level 8. Nothing on the true bubble (Divine Shield) coming down yet, but I wouldn't be shocked.

Hixx

Retro said:
According to Nihilium, the duration of Divine Protection (The pally version of Shield Wall) is coming down to 8 seconds instead of 12, and also won't be earned until level 30, rather than level 8. Nothing on the true bubble (Divine Shield) coming down yet, but I wouldn't be shocked.

In the GiantBomb beta video the dude used DS to bubble+hearth and it only lasted 8sec too.

Retro

HixxSAFC said:
In the GiantBomb beta video the dude used DS to bubble+hearth and it only lasted 8sec too.

Yeah, that's not much of a surprise, but it's good to have some confirmation. Hopefully this means Paladins will get more tools to work with, especially since they're killing seals (Command), Judgments (Wisdom is gone, Light and Justice are merged) buffs (Wisdom and Might rolled together, Sanctuary made passive) and utilities (Divine Intervention, pretty sure there's a few others).

Every expansion has been a 'major revamp' for Paladins. I don't think any class can claim so many reiterations.

I could ramble on about what I would do if I were in charge, but I'm pretty sure there's a character limit and I don't have all day. :lol

nataku

I hope they fix whatever went wrong with that last patch. Beta is completely unplayable when I get kicked out after a couple minutes because the world server crashed.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Retro said:
There's also this huge conspiracy theory that Jeff Kaplan (Lead designer, AKA Tigole) hates paladins because they were better than warriors in Everquest. Just google "Does Blizzard Hate Paladins", it's like this epic 15-part Youtube series that talks about the class' history. If you play a paladin, it's basically a History Lesson on the places your class has been (most of them unpleasant).
Yeah, but Tigole doesn't work on WoW anymore. I don't much care for the "feel" of Paladins; let's hope they fix them up a bit.

Manus

So I just got the Orb of Deception off a random drop. I was with my buddy who has played for quite a while and he was helping me do some quests and he saw me pick it up and freaked out. It's a pretty neat novelty.

Bisnic

I can barely recognize WPL in those beta screenshots on MMOchampion. If they didn't put Araj in there, i would have thought it was a new zone.

Xiaoki

Angry Grimace said:
Yeah, but Tigole doesn't work on WoW anymore. I don't much care for the "feel" of Paladins; let's hope they fix them up a bit.
Tigole is no longer on the WoW development team but he still hangs around the WoW offices.

Rob Pardo is still on the WoW development team and is a long time friend of Tigole.

Furor is still on the WoW development team, is a friend of Tigole and hates hybrids even more than Tigole.

ampere

The Lamonster said:
Holy shit, the water in those screenshots looks amazing, especially with the raindrops :D

I assume they're implementing it in all areas?
Yeah, I think it's an optional feature if your PC has the power to handle it, much like improved shadows in WotLK.

I like the graphical upgrades they're making but I really want updated models for current races T____T

Night elves look sick regardless, but more polygons would be ^^

Retro

Xiaoki said:
Tigole is no longer on the WoW development team but he still hangs around the WoW offices.

Rob Pardo is still on the WoW development team and is a long time friend of Tigole.

Furor is still on the WoW development team, is a friend of Tigole and hates hybrids even more than Tigole.

Yeah, pretty much what I was gonna post too. Now, I'm not saying that it's absolutely true that there's some massive anti-paladin conspiracy going on (Tin foil counts as plate armor?), but every designer inevitably brings some kind of bias to the table.

If you look at the track record (forum posts from Tigole and Furor when they were in EQ and bitching about how Sony was running it, the aforementioned Does Blizzard Hate Paladins info), it suggests some degree of bias against hybrids, especially Paladins (since Tigole and Furor were both Warriors). It stands to reason that whether they were intentionally doing it or not, their influence skewed paladins... and in some cases, skewered. :lol

Again, I don't buy into the whole anti-paladin conspiracy theory, but I think some degree of bias is obvious when you look at how much Paladins have had to change over the years compared to not just the other classes, but warriors specifically (their biggest change has been... what, Rage Normalization?).

Paladins be borked, y'all. Pretty sure Cataclysm is the first post-Kaplan expansion, and Ghostcrawler has really stepped up as a much more vocal and seemingly level-headed lead class designer. Have any classes really gotten worse in any substantial way since he signed on?

firex

Nolimit_SS said:
^ haven't read anything about BE. What are they doing about them?
Supposedly now they don't have the whole stealing power from a naaru or whatever for their paladins, so they will have someone step up as a paladin leader and they're just as holy and sanctified as the humans and dwarves. That was in their story chat thing they posted about before.

firex

Retro said:
Yeah, pretty much what I was gonna post too. Now, I'm not saying that it's absolutely true that there's some massive anti-paladin conspiracy going on (Tin foil counts as plate armor?), but every designer inevitably brings some kind of bias to the table.

If you look at the track record (forum posts from Tigole and Furor when they were in EQ and bitching about how Sony was running it, the aforementioned Does Blizzard Hate Paladins info), it suggests some degree of bias against hybrids, especially Paladins (since Tigole and Furor were both Warriors). It stands to reason that whether they were intentionally doing it or not, their influence skewed paladins... and in some cases, skewered. :lol

Again, I don't buy into the whole anti-paladin conspiracy theory, but I think some degree of bias is obvious when you look at how much Paladins have had to change over the years compared to not just the other classes, but warriors specifically (their biggest change has been... what, Rage Normalization?).

Paladins be borked, y'all. Pretty sure Cataclysm is the first post-Kaplan expansion, and Ghostcrawler has really stepped up as a much more vocal and seemingly level-headed lead class designer. Have any classes really gotten worse in any substantial way since he signed on?
I don't really buy into the whole conspiracy either, but paladins and shamans have both been crippled for their design thanks to long cooldowns that make them overpowered. Shamans are screwed because of bloodlust, which some developer said is how everything they get is balanced (i.e. "how overpowered will this be with a spell you can use for 45 seconds every 10 minutes" which is stupid) and paladins are in the same boat with their stupid bubble.

I think the best solution for paladins is removing divine shield, making divine protection require shields to use, and doing away with forbearance. Just put a linked cooldown like what exists on trinkets/engineering enchants so you can't stack them. The other thing they could do is nerf LOH since that is like a retarded "I win" button, but I like it as a tank for saving someone. If they can rework that so it's nerfed then they could go and actually make paladins better. They're at least way farther along now, to the point that I might actually stick with my paladin some in cataclysm.

Retro

firex said:
Supposedly now they don't have the whole stealing power from a naaru or whatever for their paladins, so they will have someone step up as a paladin leader and they're just as holy and sanctified as the humans and dwarves. That was in their story chat thing they posted about before.

The whole "Blood Knights aren't really evil" thing was a fucking kick in the teeth. I know it's LoLore, but I liked the idea of there being malicious paladins who stole their power rather than being worthy and devoted. The mini-event in Shattrath where the stupid talking windchime explains how the other stupid talking windchime allowed itself to be raped because it knew in the future it would be for the greater good? Crock of shit. Next thing you know, the Forsaken will be 'good guys' too.

I named my Belfaladin Eresia (Italian for Heresy) because it sounded elven, badass and I liked the connotations of being a heretic. Now that everybody is all chummy and forgiven, it's not nearly as cool. I don't need to get 'into character' or anything to play, but it still feels like getting sissy-fied.

Retro

firex said:
I don't really buy into the whole conspiracy either, but paladins and shamans have both been crippled for their design thanks to long cooldowns that make them overpowered.

Right, my friend has played a Shaman (the same shaman, actually) since just after Launch and we have friendly arguments over who's class has been fucked the most. Shamans and Paladins have always been borked pretty good.

firex said:
I think the best solution for paladins is removing divine shield, making divine protection require shields to use, and doing away with forbearance. Just put a linked cooldown like what exists on trinkets/engineering enchants so you can't stack them. The other thing they could do is nerf LOH since that is like a retarded "I win" button, but I like it as a tank for saving someone. If they can rework that so it's nerfed then they could go and actually make paladins better. They're at least way farther along now, to the point that I might actually stick with my paladin some in cataclysm.

TLDR: Paladins in Vanguard Rocked. :lol

Vanguard, despite its many flaws, still had some amazing ideas that, had it gotten properly supported, not been rushed, and been given enough polish, would have blown WoW out of the water.

One such idea was Paladins having a class-specific currency called Virtue, and specific spells (called Gifts of Virtue) used it as their energy type (along with Mana, of course).

Virtue slowly regenerated over time (each point was regenerated something like 20 minutes after it had been used) OR when you acted in a virtuous manner. For example, using your "Rescue" ability allowed you to redirect a set number of attacks made against your defensive target (another idea I wish WoW had) unto yourself. If your health was below a certain threshold, you gained Virtue points.

Abilities like Lay on Hands (same name, was a large heal) cost something like 5 virtue points if you cast it on a paladin, but only 2 if you cast it on someone else (and I seem to recall it costing only 1 virtue if the target was below a certain health percentage). So basically, you could cast it on other people to save them or give your healers a break, but if you tried to zap yourself with it, it cost you. I'm pretty sure you only had 10 virtue total, so you didn't want to waste it.

Other Gifts of Virtue acted like Divine Sacrifice (group wide bubble called Mass Shield), Fear Ward (Immunity to fear, called Shining Beacon), Holy Wrath (Undead-only AoE called Burst of Light) a self- Blessing of Kings (Pumped up all your stats for 5 minutes, called Paragon)...even a Last Stand ability (called coincidentally, Final Stand) all like 4 years before WotLK.

Despite the game basically being buggy, rushed and having zero support (it's currently staffed by just enough people to keep the servers running), Vanguard Paladins were amazing (and Balanced!) and run circles around pretty much every iteration of Paladins WoW has had. Definitely not a healer class by any means though, Vanguard divided its classes into "Defensive Fighters" (Tanks), Offensive Fighters (Melee and Ranged DPS), Defensive Casters (Healers) and Offensive Casters (Spell-based DPS). Each class within those groups then had a kind of niche it filled; Warriors were the middle-of-the-road Tanks, Paladins were the defense/support Tanks, Dreadknights were the highest DPS tank (but lacked in survivability). They had originally planned to have 4 tanks, but they cut the Inquisitor (an evasion tank) before launch. Otherwise the game would have had 16 classes.

That said, a Paladin could pick up a Greatsword and DPS pretty decently. I never felt like I was gimped when I had to sit back and let someone else tank (since specific encounters were built to favor one of the three tanks, Paladins obviously fucked up anything undead or demonic).

Really, if it had gotten the support and time it had needed, Vanguard would have been incredible, it had some really great mechanics for each class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom