• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Kukumalu said:
Quit WoW a month ago so I could focus on clearing my massive backlog.
Today I get an e-mail with a beta invite for Cataclysm.

FML

No offense, but I hate seeing this lol. Sucks so badly as I keep waiting for an invite.

firex

Angry Grimace said:
Hilarious. I actually came in here to note "Spiritual Attunement should be the Lvl 10 passive instead of Touched by the Light." :lol

If you needed any more clue that blizzard is trolling everyone; notice that a million talents got axed, but Priests still have the option to take Lightwell.
It should be both. Touched by the Light makes sense, for the same reason enhance gets Mental Quickness and ret gets Sheath of Light. It's built in as part of how those specs scale to compete with pure physical dps/tanks. Plus the whole reason SA became a prot talent anyway was that they didn't want it accessible to ret or holy.

Anyway I looked at priest talents and somehow they fucked those up pretty badly. Holy/Disc especially seem bad, while shadow seems ok.

Also lol @ no more JoW. Not that I mind, since it just means they are going to make it so mana-based dps classes will have better regen on their own instead of relying on a debuff they might not have access to.

And I like the new shaman talents overall. Not perfect, but probably the best ones of all the classes I've really looked at. I haven't bothered to look at druid talents since I don't really like druids, although I noticed no crit immunity for them in feral talents. Either that is a passive or it's something added in to dire bear form or some shit. Anyway I more or less came up with what would probably be cookie cutter talents for enhance/resto/elemental using the beta, but there's room for 2-4 points of variance within all 3 builds, and resto actually has 1 point left over to sink into something utility based. Although I hope they get rid of totemic focus and just make that effect passive, period, so that way dropping 4 totems doesn't take away 1/4 (at least) of an enhance shaman's mana, since they'll be going without int. Not to mention it's entirely useless for resto builds, because they get so much mana that 2k for 4 totems is trivial. 2k out of, say, 8k (to be extremely generous) from a base mana pool for enhance at 85 is a lot though. And really it's going to be more than that, because 2k right now will scale up more at 85.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
firex said:
It should be both. Touched by the Light makes sense, for the same reason enhance gets Mental Quickness and ret gets Sheath of Light. It's built in as part of how those specs scale to compete with pure physical dps/tanks. Plus the whole reason SA became a prot talent anyway was that they didn't want it accessible to ret or holy.

Anyway I looked at priest talents and somehow they fucked those up pretty badly. Holy/Disc especially seem bad, while shadow seems ok.

Also lol @ no more JoW. Not that I mind, since it just means they are going to make it so mana-based dps classes will have better regen on their own instead of relying on a debuff they might not have access to.

And I like the new shaman talents overall. Not perfect, but probably the best ones of all the classes I've really looked at. I haven't bothered to look at druid talents since I don't really like druids, although I noticed no crit immunity for them in feral talents. Either that is a passive or it's something added in to dire bear form or some shit. Anyway I more or less came up with what would probably be cookie cutter talents for enhance/resto/elemental using the beta, but there's room for 2-4 points of variance within all 3 builds, and resto actually has 1 point left over to sink into something utility based. Although I hope they get rid of totemic focus and just make that effect passive, period, so that way dropping 4 totems doesn't take away 1/4 (at least) of an enhance shaman's mana, since they'll be going without int. Not to mention it's entirely useless for resto builds, because they get so much mana that 2k for 4 totems is trivial. 2k out of, say, 8k (to be extremely generous) from a base mana pool for enhance at 85 is a lot though. And really it's going to be more than that, because 2k right now will scale up more at 85.
but TbtL works as a talent because gear below a certain level doesn't have very much strengh as is.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Xabora said:
I have butt-tons of screenshots, will be posting them sometime later.
if you managed to somehow use a spreadsheet on your combat log to figure out your dps and post it, I will create a character on undermine and camp you forever.

lordmrw

25-man Lich King is going down for sure tonight. I joined the raid to help out a friend last night without knowing it was GDKP. We downed Sindragosa on the 2nd attempt, and put in a solid 2 hours on the LK. We have phase 1 perfect and we got the transition between dpsing LK and switching to Valkyries down, the only problem is we had reeeeeeeally shitty luck with who they would grab, and especially bad luck with them dropping people right in the middle of defile. Hell, one time they grabbed all 3 rogue! But, for the most part, we know exactly what to do, its just a matter of everything lining up perfectly. I also got 4388 gold out of it. Can't complain about that.

Swag

The LK fight has made me appreciate Rocket Boots so much, absolutely ridiculous how being able to place Defile in a non factor area helps with easing the mechanics of that fight.

Although they are in no way a necessity

2-man Lich King is going down for sure tonight. I joined the raid to help out a friend last night without knowing it was GDKP. We downed Sindragosa on the 2nd attempt, and put in a solid 2 hours on the LK. We have phase 1 perfect and we got the transition between dpsing LK and switching to Valkyries down, the only problem is we had reeeeeeeally shitty luck with who they would grab, and especially bad luck with them dropping people right in the middle of defile. Hell, one time they grabbed all 3 rogue! But, for the most part, we know exactly what to do, its just a matter of everything lining up perfectly. I also got 4388 gold out of it. Can't complain about that.

Are the placements of your defile happening in such a way that they are at the edge of the ring ( thus the Valk target being dropped in it because of slow dps, or is your dps so fast that they don't wait till the target is out of defile range? )

Serious questions there.

Tacitus_

lordmrw said:
2-man Lich King is going down for sure tonight. I joined the raid to help out a friend last night without knowing it was GDKP. We downed Sindragosa on the 2nd attempt, and put in a solid 2 hours on the LK. We have phase 1 perfect and we got the transition between dpsing LK and switching to Valkyries down, the only problem is we had reeeeeeeally shitty luck with who they would grab, and especially bad luck with them dropping people right in the middle of defile. Hell, one time they grabbed all 3 rogue! But, for the most part, we know exactly what to do, its just a matter of everything lining up perfectly. I also got 4388 gold out of it. Can't complain about that.

That's not about luck, it's about control - stunlock a valk if they're heading toward a defile on the very edge if you feel you can't kill it before it reaches it and in the reverse situation, let it fly over the defile and then stun and kill it.

McNei1y

Puncture said:
No offense, but I hate seeing this lol. Sucks so badly as I keep waiting for an invite.

Agreed. One of my reasons for resubbing is hoping I get a Cata invited... Still having fun with my shaman though. Hit 32 in a week! making my way.

lordmrw

Tacitus_ said:
That's not about luck, it's about control - stunlock a valk if they're heading toward a defile on the very edge if you feel you can't kill it before it reaches it and in the reverse situation, let it fly over the defile and then stun and kill it.

its not so much that they're being killed right above defile, its more at the exact moment the valkyr is killed defile pops up in the near vicinity and most people take a second or so to move out of the way so it spreads a little to where people are being dropped. Its nothing we can't do a better job of avoiding happening. Our second to last run yesterday our raid leader made it a point to see who wasn't switching to the Valkyrs. After chasticing them, our last run we got him to 28%. I think 22 of us are returning to give it another go tonight, and we already have their replacements in mind, so its pretty much a done deal. I just never imagined I would down him on 25 man before 10 man.

McNei1y

funkmastergeneral said:
you don't have to resub to get a cata invite...i think

Oh I know, I was just hoping it'd raise my chances (which I think it doesnt)... I just thought it was a good reason to resub :D :lol

Edit: To those in the beta; Would I get an invite through the email (liek Battle.net telling me I got in) or would I have to check Battle.net daily?

ZombieSupaStar said:
so is it true most people just idle around dal waiting for the LFG insta portal to pop? No one runs around the actual world anymore? Sounds kinda impersonal like Dal is a chat and the LFG is bhal runs... Didnt EQ get into this problem with planes of power also?

I can't speak for everyone but when I'm in the queue I do dailies and such. LFG IS ruining the feeling of traveling to the instance/battling your way into the portal... but whatever makes it quicker to get loot, Im fine with!

so is it true most people just idle around dal waiting for the LFG insta portal to pop? No one runs around the actual world anymore? Sounds kinda impersonal like Dal is a chat and the LFG is bhal runs... Didnt EQ get into this problem with planes of power also?

notworksafe

McNei1y said:
Edit: To those in the beta; Would I get an invite through the email (liek Battle.net telling me I got in) or would I have to check Battle.net daily?
Both. You'll probably get an email a few days after it shows in your Bnet account. Safer to check Bnet to avoid phishing emails, anyway.

firex

Angry Grimace said:
but TbtL works as a talent because gear below a certain level doesn't have very much strengh as is.
It's mandatory to keep scaling compared to DK/warriors automatically scaling off str though. no reason for it to be a talent in that case.

Angry Grimace

firex said:
It's mandatory to keep scaling compared to DK/warriors automatically scaling off str though. no reason for it to be a talent in that case.
I guess.

I'm not really sure what the point of talent choices is if everything is basically mandatory.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
:lol :lol :lol

Just got an email from "blizzard" saying that someone logged on to my wow characters and spammed/violated the EULA. It then says to go to this website to verify my account information ;)

I don't even have an active WoW subscription

Speaking of, can anyone send me a scroll of resurrection? Some people say it doesn't work with Wrath accounts but looking at my payment history in battle.net I can clearly see a scroll in the middle of last year when I had wrath.

My email is my username @gmail.com

Edit: And as a fair warning even if the scroll does work, Dont think Im going to resub, particularly with SC2 right around the corner, just want to mess around for a bit.

notworksafe

Sent one over to you. Seems like it worked, so I guess they do work on Wrath accounts.

EDIT:

Invite a friend that has left World of Warcraft to return with a FREE 10-Day Trial of the Burning Crusade.
Perhaps not...

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Yup. I got it. Thank you. Like I said though I doubt Im going to resub so you're probably not going to get the free month. I mostly want to see how old friends are doing/play it on a computer that can actually handle it. My old computer averaged about 10-15 fps at the lowest settings. Hell I would get about 3-4 in dalaran.

Edit: Well that bites. Wont let me confirm since I've received a scroll before. Worked besides that though.

McNei1y said:
Oh I know, I was just hoping it'd raise my chances (which I think it doesnt)
I've always been under the belief that you have a better chance of getting an invite if you're not subbed. It's Blizzard's little way of trying to get people to return to the game.

On the contrary to my belief though, I did not receive and invite for WotLK beta and I was not subbed while it was going on.

I didn't even get to check out the trial because someone hacked my account after months of me being inactive and used it. Blizzard would not grant it back to me either. Bastards.

Kukumalu said:
Quit WoW a month ago so I could focus on clearing my massive backlog.
Today I get an e-mail with a beta invite for Cataclysm.

FML

That's weird. They keep saying that you need an active subscription to get an invite. Either you know somebody at Blizzard or that was a scam e-mail.

Calantus

notworksafe said:
I think you just need to have one game registered to get an invite. Don't even have to have an active sub.

Also the new Bnet site is really attractive. http://beta-us.battle.net/en/ / http://beta-eu.battle.net/en/

I like the links at the bottom too. An eSports link and one called "Help! I got hacked!". That will come in useful for many, I'm sure (at least based on the posts about it on here :lol ).

Hm, i have multiple wow accounts on my bnet account, and the beta battle.net only shows one of them.

edit: nevermind

Tacitus_

lordmrw said:
its not so much that they're being killed right above defile, its more at the exact moment the valkyr is killed defile pops up in the near vicinity and most people take a second or so to move out of the way so it spreads a little to where people are being dropped. Its nothing we can't do a better job of avoiding happening. Our second to last run yesterday our raid leader made it a point to see who wasn't switching to the Valkyrs. After chasticing them, our last run we got him to 28%. I think 22 of us are returning to give it another go tonight, and we already have their replacements in mind, so its pretty much a done deal. I just never imagined I would down him on 25 man before 10 man.

Oh that problem. Keep your melee at max melee range and you should have better chances to dodge it.

Xabora

HarryDemeanor said:
That's weird. They keep saying that you need an active subscription to get an invite. Either you know somebody at Blizzard or that was a scam e-mail.
Some dude was inactive got an invite on the cata beta forums.

This isn't really new as blizzard has been known to do this. :lol

And screenshots, clicking the thumbnail makes them bigger. :O

Xabora said:

Oh I know that. Just that the ones who were inactive that I know of got them through people who knew a Blizzard employee. I know a guy who was running a Justin.tv stream gave out beta invites to people who donated to his channel. So who knows.

Xabora

HarryDemeanor said:
Oh I know that. Just that the ones who were inactive that I know of got them through people who knew a Blizzard employee. I know a guy who was running a Justin.tv stream gave out beta invites to people who donated to his channel. So who knows.
Hmm, never heard of that. :lol

notworksafe

HarryDemeanor said:
Would buy! :lol

Angry Grimace

I'm really excited to level a Worgen Warlock in Cata. My wife is going to roll Warrior, becuase she liked hers in Aion so much (even though they aren't similar classes)

Angry Grimace

Xabora said:

And screenshots, clicking the thumbnail makes them bigger. :O
Why did you spec extra points into Unholy instead of Blood? Bladed Armor + BcB probably means everyone DPS will subspec Blood, I would think. :D

Weenerz

Banned
Cut the stream early, about to start getting ready for work, but I did manage to take one screenshot.

2v1q8av.jpg

Evlar

Banned
I'm glad, now that Wrath is over, we may finally be past the blatant LOTR design ripoffs and Mordor refer...

God damn it.

Fularu

Banned
Evlar said:
I'm glad, now that Wrath is over, we may finally be past the blatant LOTR design ripoffs and Mordor refer...

God damn it.
Short of the Icecrown zone with the Eye atop the Ebonhold place, what was LOTRish?

Xabora

Angry Grimace said:
Why did you spec extra points into Unholy instead of Blood? Bladed Armor + BcB probably means everyone DPS will subspec Blood, I would think. :D
I forgot I was missing some points when I was doing it. :lol

Kukumalu

HarryDemeanor said:

I used a 2 month card then quit after 1 month so the other month is still in effect right now.
Guess I'll have to download 20 hours of patches to play the beta since you need WotLK 3.3 installed :<

Kukumalu said:
I used a 2 month card then quit after 1 month so the other month is still in effect right now.
Guess I'll have to download 20 hours of patches to play the beta since you need WotKL 3.3 installed :<

Ah alright.

So jealous right now.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Evlar said:

God damn it.

Wait, so you missed the whole we're in Norse mythology part? :p

Tacitus_

Awesome pics Xabora! Mind finding out what's happening in Hillsbrad Foothills (pref horde side) since Sylvanas is up to something nasty with the
valkyries she recruited from Arthas
:3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom