• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warplanes |OT| Smaller Guns, but Penetration

Yeah, this Official Topic is late, seeing as the game came out in November. There was a mix-up over who was managing the OT, etc. Still, better late than never!
World_of_Warplanes.png

This game is a "sister project" to World of Tanks, so expect to see a lot of similar information between this post and the World of Tanks OT. (Even this thread's subtitle is a reference to the World of Tanks OT subtitle.)

World of Warplanes is essentially the airplane counterpart to World of Tanks. This means that it's an online free to play game where two teams of 15 planes each face off against each other in high-flying (or low-flying, if you want to use land formations to keep yourself hidden or attack ground targets) aerial combat. Vehicles are divided into ten tiers, spanning several decades and technological advancements, from the 1929 Boeing P-12 to the subsonic fighter jets of the Korean War (even some planes capable of breaking the sound barrier when in a dive).

Similar to World of Tanks, a plane being shot in specific locations can produce subsystem damage. For more information on the effects of subsystem damage in World of Warplanes, consult this Developers Blog post.

You can win a match by either destroying all enemy planes (fairly self-explanatory) or gaining 100% supremacy. What's supremacy, you might be asking? Somewhat similar to capturing a base in World of Tanks, supremacy is a pair of meters, one for each team, that starts at zero and gradually counts up to 100%. The World of Tanks similarity is that a single supremacy point that one team has over the other is comparable to a tank sitting on a base in World of Tanks: the more you have, the faster the meter goes. These supremacy points are earned by either taking out a ground target or shooting down a plane; both of these activity earn you 1 point per plane or ground target destroyed, except for the enemy headquarters (a specific, highly durable ground target that's directly surrounded by 4 AA guns), which is worth 3 points. Note that both teams can have supremacy points, but a counter will only start when one team has more of these points than the other. If a team that is losing in supremacy destroys a ground target but is still behind in supremacy, the ground target will cause the percentage counter to lose a fairly small amount of its progress. If an enemy plane is destroyed under these conditions, the counter returns to 0% and will start counting upwards again. If both teams are equal in terms of supremacy points, the counter won't move at all.

PLANE CLASSIFICATIONS

p-51a3.png
Fighters: The most numerous type of aircraft in the game; these lightly armored, highly maneuverable planes are best-served dodging incoming fire and getting behind enemy aircraft to shoot them down at close range.
bf110b3.png
Heavy Fighters: A sort of middle ground between fighters and ground attack planes, these semi-maneuverable high-altitude aircraft are at their best when fighting enemy planes from long distance, or eliminating unarmed ground targets that are low on health.
il2.png
Ground Attack Planes: Heavily armed and heavily armored, low altitudes are the best friends these planes can have: the ground offers concealment and forces pursuing enemies to fly higher than the plane, forcing them into tail gunner fire! These planes are also referred to as "ground attack" planes, or simply "GA" (with ground targets being similarly abbreviated as "GT"). These things are at their best when they're obliterating even heavily protected, high-HP ground targets.

NATIONS

... Well, heck this page probably lists and describes the nations better than I can, because 1) It's all but guaranteed to remain up to date, and 2) it's straight from the horses mouth.

But just to list the nations off, without delving into their differences (again, you can read about their differences above) and the respective symbol painted on their aircraft in-game:
germany.png
Germany: Balkenkreuz
ussr.png
USSR: Red star traced in white
usa.png
USA: White star inside of a blue circle, flanked by white rectangles also traced in blue (on chronologically early aircraft, a red circle inside of a white star inside of a blue circle)
japan.png
Japan: Red circle traced in white
uk.png
Great Britain: Roundel (depending on plane, either a red circle inside of a blue circle or a red circle inside of a white circle inside of a blue circle)

(No flag on the website) China (Surprise! A nation that's not in that linked list!) (Currently only represented by a Taiwanese aircraft which was distributed as a gift plane): A white sun-like shape, as seen on the Taiwanese flag, surrounded by a blue circle

Helpful Links (from North American website and relating to North American server cluster)

Official Full Game Guide: http://worldofwarplanes.com/en/content/guide/

Official Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WorldofWarplanesCom/

Official Twitch.tv Channel: http://www.twitch.tv/wargaming

To download the game, I recommend finding the link on the website for the region closest to you, from the website links at the top of this post.

PBalfredo

Nice OT.

I'm starting to get back into this game a bit since I noticed they added the American Heavy Fighter line in the latest patch. The P-38 is my favorite plane of all time, so I must own one.

Nice OT.

I'm starting to get back into this game a bit since I noticed they added the American Heavy Fighter line in the latest patch. The P-38 is my favorite plane of all time, so I must own one.

I definitely did because the XF5U is my favorite fighter plane ever built! Gotta love the flying pancake. I was incredibly saddened when they removed it within the last update or two before the game went live, so I specifically saved up free experience and even translated gold to credits specifically so I could get that thing as quickly as possible when 1.3.0 hit.

The latest update (1.4.0), though, also added a really interesting warplane that War Thunder doesn't have for whatever reason: this thing. Apparently, a British pilot landed his wounded Spitfire in Nazi-occupied Jersey. The Germans repaired it and began test flying it, when someone had the idea of giving it the DB 605 engine used in Bf 109s. They reinforced the air frame and added the engine in, and it proved to be very popular among German pilots! Thus, you have a British Spitfire VB sporting German markings and a German engine. I found one aviation forum where someone referred to this thing as "SkyJesus". I'm considering getting it on top of my brand new XP-50 (I got it due to the XF5F relationship, to go with my XF5U)!

Version 1.6 is in public testing for anyone who wants to try it out (who has had a Wargaming account for long enough, at least, I think is the protocol). The game's getting MiG fighters! Starting with the MiG-3 at Tier V and ending at Tier X with the MiG-15bis. The MiG-15bis will make for a really good match against its historical enemy which is also in World of Warplanes, the F-86A Sabre.

The new class of "Multi-Role Fighters" is also being added, which will change the OP a little.

Top Bottom