• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World War I survival horror game CONSCRIPT launches in 2024 for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire

Source - Gematsu

Publisher Team17 and developer Catchweight Studio will release World War I survival horror game CONSCRIPT for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC via Steam, Epic Games Store, and GOG in 2024, the companies announced. A physical edition will follow the digital release. A PC demo will be available via Steam on June 10.

ABOUT THIS GAME​

CONSCRIPT is an upcoming survival horror game inspired by classics of the genre - set in 1916 during the Great War. CONSCRIPT will blend all the punishing mechanics of older horror games into a cohesive, tense, and unique experience.

In CONSCRIPT, you play as a French soldier searching for his missing-in-action brother during the Battle of Verdun. Will you be able to search twisted trenches, navigate overrun forts, and cross no-mans-land to find him, and ensure a home goes unbroken?

steampage_plan.gif

Experience classic and methodical survival horror gameplay in a unique historical setting: the Battle of Verdun.
Highly re-playable with various difficulty settings, multiple endings, unlockable costumes and bonus weapons.

steampage_survive.gif

Fend off a variety of enemy soldiers and combatants with a variety of WW1 melee weapons and firearms.
Survive in an intense, harrowing atmosphere boosted by a unique pixel art aesthetic and oppressive sound design.

steampage_explore.gif

Navigate intricate level design that promotes item management and route planning, whilst solving complex environmental puzzles.
Distinct WW1 themed areas that intertwine and overlap.

acm2000

If team 17 are publishing then there's a good chance it will at least be half decent, they pick their indies well.

xrnzaaas

Yeah not a fan of this perspective in horror games. It was one of the main reasons why I've abadoned Signalis or Darkwood.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

"I have a rendezvous with death." Plunge into the Great War in a survival horror experience inspired by the classics of the genre. Navigate the treacherous trenches of Verdun as a lone French soldier searching for his missing brother.

CONSCRIPT launches on PC and console on 23rd July.

Arachnid

So this came out today.

Reviews are generally praising it for being classic RE/Signalis style survival horror, but a lot of them note that it comes with a lot of the pitfalls that entails (searching a labyrinth for an elusive key, for example; one reviewer had to restart his save due running out of health items and getting bricked by famine). It's noted that it doesn't really do anything new with the genre, but people like the unique setting and lack of monsters allowing it to focus on the real life horror of war.

Overall though, seems positive.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
So this came out today.

Reviews are generally praising it for being classic RE/Signalis style survival horror, but a lot of them note that it comes with a lot of the pitfalls that entails (searching a labyrinth for an elusive key, for example; one reviewer had to restart his save due running out of health items and getting bricked by famine). It's noted that it doesn't really do anything new with the genre, but people like the unique setting and lack of monsters allowing it to focus on the real life horror of war.

It's already on my wish list. The setting is definitely incredibly original for the genre. I'll probably pick this one up on a sale.

ReyBrujo

Bought it just because the launching price was bugged in Argentina (like, 20 cents of a dollar instead of 20 dollars). Early impressions from friends say it got some rough spots like soldiers not being aware of you being near even when walking in front of them but so far it looks cool.

So this came out today.

Basically things that could've been fixed with wider playtesting. That's really not surprising in the indie world when you don't have the amount of testing resources that you'd have with larger development teams. Hopefully, the dev takes the feedback and makes adjustments. Looks like a really cool game.

So the default volume settings are at 5/10 across the board for some dumb reason. I was messing around with my headphones, booting up another game etc. until I saw this.

If the game is quiet...yea.

I bought it immediately to support but seeing already it has issues that hopefully will be patched like the AI in spots. Always the same with buying a game too quickly now. Will let it sit for a bit to see if patches hit.

So I ended up playing it anyway. I really like it so far but some aspects of the combat are frustrating and badly designed to me. The guys that charge you with the spiked bats? They sprint with no stamina penalty, often can't be evaded because of tight corridors and they'll throw two or three in there. Your only real strategy is to constantly run away, watch stamina, run into doors to "reset" their position...it's pretty bad.

The melee also feels terrible and enemies can hit you through walls with THEIR melee. Try to ambush a guy at a doorway or corner. They spot you prior in the hallway with no line of sight and then smash you through the wall.

Then there's the inventory. Might be on me for not exploring enough yet but I didn't find an item box in the east Support Trench area yet was inundated was items. I spent 10 minutes running back and forth to pick up and stash items, kiting enemies slowly, then got bumrushed and cornered by two of those runners and combo'd to death in two seconds. Lost a lot of progress and rage quit for the night.

There's a lot to love here but I don't know if I'm just coping bc I spent money or if the combat system and encounter design just legit sucks.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
The setting, the concept, the style... Everything is great. But as already stated the combat isn't very good at all. It just wasn't fun to play. Damn, I really wanted to like this. Good thing there was a demo, though.

Last edited:

Kupfer

The setting, the concept, the style... Everything is great. But as already stated the combat isn't very good at all. It just wasn't fun to play. Damn, I really wanted to like this. Good thing there was a demo, though.
This is exactly how I feel about the game.
Played the demo, really wanted to like it, but it just didn't click and wasn't fun for me.
And still, I probably will buy it on disc for PS5 because I think games like these are worth supporting.

Last edited:
I played more and the more I do, the more apparent it gets that the combat is just ill-suited to the level design. The enemies with rifles for example. Where their bullets can hit you just makes no sense. I'm not sure if it's the perspective but I doubt it. Also speaking of perspective, enemies will go into dead angles you literally can't see (map south areas) and you'll randomly get attacked.

The dodge roll is a crapshoot, the melee is clunky and just feels bad and they of course had to go with that increasingly obnoxious RE2 Remake "steady your aim" mechanic. Which is easier said than done when the perspective makes it difficult to land distant shots...but if you don't, enemies rush and melee you with infinite stamina and the only recourse is to run away...which also doesn't work too well because...enemies run at almost the same speed.

The copium has worn off, I think the combat just sucks and needed several big tweaks. Kind of a waste of money considering you're constantly fighting and the game clearly views itself as heavily inspired by RE4 and has an Action slant.

TwinB242

I played more and the more I do, the more apparent it gets that the combat is just ill-suited to the level design. The enemies with rifles for example. Where their bullets can hit you just makes no sense. I'm not sure if it's the perspective but I doubt it. Also speaking of perspective, enemies will go into dead angles you literally can't see (map south areas) and you'll randomly get attacked.

The dodge roll is a crapshoot, the melee is clunky and just feels bad and they of course had to go with that increasingly obnoxious RE2 Remake "steady your aim" mechanic. Which is easier said than done when the perspective makes it difficult to land distant shots...but if you don't, enemies rush and melee you with infinite stamina and the only recourse is to run away...which also doesn't work too well because...enemies run at almost the same speed.

The copium has worn off, I think the combat just sucks and needed several big tweaks. Kind of a waste of money considering you're constantly fighting and the game clearly views itself as heavily inspired by RE4 and has an Action slant.

Im liking the game a lot and am not seeing all these issues with the combat. The guys with the rifles are the easiest to take out, you just break line of sight when they aim at you, and after they fire you run up to them and smack them with the shovel. Thats it.

The melee enemies are trickier but i've had success with just dodge rolling once they get close, hitting them once, dodging out of the way of their next attack, and then repeating that. Its not fast or pretty but its similar to old school survival horror games like RE and SH, where a big part of the combat is backing off and repositioning yourself when you're about to get hit.

Much like those games I enjoy the slower and methodical approach to the combat encounters.

Im liking the game a lot and am not seeing all these issues with the combat. The guys with the rifles are the easiest to take out, you just break line of sight when they aim at you, and after they fire you run up to them and smack them with the shovel. Thats it.

The melee enemies are trickier but i've had success with just dodge rolling once they get close, hitting them once, dodging out of the way of their next attack, and then repeating that. Its not fast or pretty but its similar to old school survival horror games like RE and SH, where a big part of the combat is backing off and repositioning yourself when you're about to get hit.

Much like those games I enjoy the slower and methodical approach to the combat encounters.
In the game's defense, I should've gone with an easier mode. Maybe that'd alleviate some issues I have.

Okay since basically nobody is playing this!

Is the fuel supposed to be for burning bodies? I've tried to use the fuel directly over the bodies, used the lighter, fire starts but bodies don't really look different after so I assumed it wasn't a Resi Crimson Head style mechanic. Now I'm completely overrun with rats despite having bombed a tunnel or two. As in, game is impossible to traverse right now. Was I indeed supposed to burn bodies and it just isn't clear cut??

PS: Apparemtly a big balance patch is coming that also nerfs the rats.

Filben

I've got some Signalis vibes from this one. I've had this on my wishlist for what feels like two or three years now. Glad they finally released 1.0.

TwinB242

Okay since basically nobody is playing this!

Is the fuel supposed to be for burning bodies? I've tried to use the fuel directly over the bodies, used the lighter, fire starts but bodies don't really look different after so I assumed it wasn't a Resi Crimson Head style mechanic. Now I'm completely overrun with rats despite having bombed a tunnel or two. As in, game is impossible to traverse right now. Was I indeed supposed to burn bodies and it just isn't clear cut??

PS: Apparemtly a big balance patch is coming that also nerfs the rats.

Unfortunately its not clear at all but yeah the bodies need to be burned and they do look slightly darker afterwards.

I haven't really bothered with that mechanic though because its just too much of a pain to carry around both fuel and the lighter when your inventory capacity is as limited as it is. I've just gotten used to sprinting past the rats and its actually not that hard to do it without getting hit.

Unfortunately its not clear at all but yeah the bodies need to be burned and they do look slightly darker afterwards.

I haven't really bothered with that mechanic though because its just too much of a pain to carry around both fuel and the lighter when your inventory capacity is as limited as it is. I've just gotten used to sprinting past the rats and its actually not that hard to do it without getting hit.
I've unfortunately dropped bodies in some VERY unfortunate positions right in front of doors and choke points.

Crypto Meme GIF by Crypto GIFs & Memes ::: Crypto Marketing

MiguelItUp

Yeah, I backed the Kickstarter, and I have absolutely no regrets. But I agree, after an hour and some change, I just didn't have a desire to continue because the combat just.... didn't feel good to me. On one hand I get what he was going for, but I feel like there are things that could've been done to make it feel a bit better. Definitely a subjective thing as I feel some may not like it, some may, etc.

Bluecondor

I downloaded the demo on my Steamdeck today.

Wow, the atmosphere in this game is so intense.

The setting is amazing, as you are a private being called to go to the front in the trenches, with the threat of being shot if you refuse to go mentioned several times by the NPCs.

Playing it, every time you open a door, you brace yourself for what is on the other side.

After reading what people on here are saying about the rats being OP, I am going to wait until the rat nerf before buying.

But, I am definitely in!

TwinB242

I finished the game. I think its a solid 8/10 but it does start running out of steam in the later chapters. Too much of the gameplay loop is centered around backtracking to find keys to unlock doors, and then finding more keys to unlock more doors behind those doors.

The setting and atmosphere are the highlights for sure.

Thanks for playtesting people; much appreciated as always.

I finished the game. I think its a solid 8/10 but it does start running out of steam in the later chapters. Too much of the gameplay loop is centered around backtracking to find keys to unlock doors, and then finding more keys to unlock more doors behind those doors.

The setting and atmosphere are the highlights for sure.
ZySag8s.jpeg

As always, the lesson is never buy games Day 1. I tend to buy Indies Day 1 just to support small studios but it's been this the last few times even in that space. The only reward is playtesting an inferior version of a game every time. Wasting time on a playthrough of an inferior build of a game is maddening to me.

Top Bottom