• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World's Rarest Whale Seen for the First Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121105130353.htm

121105130353-large.jpg

The discovery is the first evidence that this whale is still with us and serves as a reminder of just how little we still know about life in the ocean, the researchers say. The findings also highlight the importance of DNA typing and reference collections for the identification of rare species.

"This is the first time this species -- a whale over five meters in length -- has ever been seen as a complete specimen, and we were lucky enough to find two of them," says Rochelle Constantine of the University of Auckland. "Up until now, all we have known about the spade-toothed beaked whale was from three partial skulls collected from New Zealand and Chile over a 140-year period. It is remarkable that we know almost nothing about such a large mammal."

The two whales were discovered in December 2010, when they live-stranded and subsequently died on Opape Beach, New Zealand. The New Zealand Department of Conservation was called to the scene, where they photographed the animals and collected measurements and tissue samples.

The whales were initially identified not as spade-toothed beaked whales but as much more common Gray's beaked whales. Their true identity came to light only following DNA analysis, which is done routinely as part of a 20-year program to collect data on the 13 species of beaked whales found in New Zealand waters.

"When these specimens came to our lab, we extracted the DNA as we usually do for samples like these, and we were very surprised to find that they were spade-toothed beaked whales," Constantine says. "We ran the samples a few times to make sure before we told everyone."

The researchers say they really have no idea why the whales have remained so elusive.
"It may be that they are simply an offshore species that lives and dies in the deep ocean waters and only rarely wash ashore," Constantine says. "New Zealand is surrounded by massive oceans. There is a lot of marine life that remains unknown to us."

It is amazing how relatively common discoveries like this still are in the 21st century.

Also, DNA sequencing is completely changing the way that we classify species. I remember sitting in on a talk that suggested DNA sequencing will reveal well over 1000 new species of birds in the next couple of decades. For those who don't know, birds are the most well studied taxa of animals, given that they are typically easy to observe, even in the wild. When natural philosophy took off in Europe during the 1600-1800s, birds were a favorite subject among naturalists. Not too long ago, scientists were confident that well over 99% of all living bird species in the world had already been identified. However, thanks to genetic testing, it is now evident that we have been lumping together several species (upwards of 15-20% of the total), potentially leading to oversight in conservation policies. These new bird species will come from populations that look very similar morphologically to another described bird species, but have distinct, segregated gene pools. The same sort of thing applies to mammals (like the whale in this article), reptiles, and every other taxa.

The ocean is still such a mysterious place. Crazy that such a (relatively) large animal, and an air-breather at that, can be so elusive.

The ocean is still such a mysterious place. Crazy that such a (relatively) large animal, and an air-breather at that, can be so elusive.

Seriously, the Ocean is a fucking scary place. It amazes me that 95% of the ocean remains unexplored, sort of puzzles me why we are pouring money into space when we have the ocean right in our backyard.

kswiston

A lot of smaller whale species can't even be assigned a conservation status, because we have no idea how many of them are out there and what their population trends are.

Prior to the pair of beached whales in the OP, here is a map of all previous discoveries of Spade-toothed Whale bones:

There are several species of dinosaur that are unearthed more regularly than this whale.

You first.

This statement just made me think of why humans have avoided the ocean. In space you don't have worry about scary life forms eating you, in the ocean however there are bound to be some really insane life forms there and that terrifies us humans. Thats why we are ready to go into space first before even thinking about exploring the deep oceans.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Little mayo, some relish, salt and pepper on nice toasted whole wheat bread and a little cheese MMM DELICIOUS

FootballFan

A lot of smaller whale species can't even be assigned a conservation status, because we have no idea how many of them are out there and what their population trends are.

Prior to the pair of beached whales in the OP, here is a map of all previous discoveries of Spade-toothed Whale bones:

There are several species of dinosaur that are unearthed more regularly than this whale.

Wow that is pretty amazing. The whole ocean is an incredible but scary place.

This is awesome, but is there not an OT on newly discovered things in Nature on Earth? There should be with how often such things occur. Love hearing stuff like this!

kswiston

This is awesome, but is there not an OT on newly discovered things in Nature on Earth? There should be with how often such things occur. Love hearing stuff like this!

I think individual threads are better, as new people tend not to read OTs or megathreads. They always boil down to the same 5-10 people talking to each other after the initial week or so, and lots of interesting stuff is buried away from notice by the majority of posters.

To stay on topic: fascinating, I remember reading about the whale that had never been seen 10 years ago
I had no idea they still hadn't found one until 2010

Take a chill pill man, srsly

It's been the same stupid "joke" for days.

"d-d-don't get me wrong, I-It's not like I want to X you, baka"

so funny lolololol

Yeah, I can almost guarantee that there is an animal in the mariana trench larger than the blue whale....that's goddamn frightening when you think about it.

if you don't get it, just ignore it.

What is there to "get"?
Genuinely curious how this is supposed to be funny over prolonged periods of time.

Yeah, I can almost guarantee that there is an animal in the mariana trench larger than the blue whale....that's goddamn frightening when you think about it.

Not really that likely. Extremely deep trenches like the mariana are low on nutrients afaik.
Found an interesting forum post by a marine biologist on this subject once, he explained how it was extremely improbable that we would find anything big down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom